Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 841Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 363
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 12th Oct 16, 3:40 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    Insurances all set up, those that need to know about the move before it happens now know.

Just got confirmation from the estate agent so know that they are now aware. Gave me the standard spiel about can't release the keys until their solicitor has confirmed the completion. Knowing their solicitors I feel that we are not clear of all the stress and chasing just yet!!
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 3:53 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    ICC86 - what on earth is this query they keep on raising? You're so close though..don't pull out. I guess it's not your buyers fault they have an incompetent solicitor.

WhizzyB -Congratulations!!

When you say you have "signed"...do you mean the contract and deed transfer docs (if you're a seller?). Do they call you into the office at all to sign anything further.

I have signed the above today (my colleague signed as a witness)....I have also answered a few queries and will be returning these on Friday...wondering how much further we have to go.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 12th Oct 16, 4:18 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    ap1985
    EXCHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *does the happy dance*

We complete next Thursday and to top it off, the completion statement shows that there is less to pay that I initially thought.

I haven't got the energy to put the full timeline, except:

Offer put in: 20th June 2016
    Offer amended: 21st June 2016
    Offer accepted: 24th June 2016

*Scene missing, stuff with searches, surveys, quotes, emails going back and forth, signed my life away about 40 times*

Exchange of contracts: 12th October 2016
    Completion: 20th October 2016

Sorry to hear of others woes, I hope you get there soon and congrats to those who have reached this mythical stage!
    Originally posted by whizzybee

Congratulations Whizzybee
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 12th Oct 16, 6:52 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    Yay congrats guys!!!! Woo hooo x
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 12th Oct 16, 7:32 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

Well done today, great to see exchanges happening and lots of moves now confirmed for next week!

Hopefully the rest of the week will see an end to the frustration for everyone else who is still awaiting imminent exchange.

PN x
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 12th Oct 16, 7:48 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    I have to admit to feeling completely out of my depth and after a number of very fraught, emotional days I am struggling to think logically and decide how best to proceed.

In July we offered to put in the asking price on a property that had already had two offers fall through and had been on the market almost two years. We were cash buyers, without a chain and as part of our offer we asked them to take it off the market and to request a quick sale. Our solicitor is excellent and its modern house with no issues (according to our surveyor) and so all the paper work, inventory etc was sorted and ready by the end of August.

Then the problems started the estate agent would promise every week that the seller’s would complete the following week. The sellers themselves wouldn’t even bother replying to our solicitor and so we didn’t even have an estimate of when they planned to complete.

Eventually after five weeks of this we were advised by our solicitor to look elsewhere and to also give an ultimatum to our sellers advising them we’d pull out unless we had a firm date for completion of the 7th of November at the very latest. They had until today to decide but still haven’t done so.

However it all gets a lot more complicated as we went to view a property with the same agency who’re agency or after working out what was going on went on a blitzkrieg of bullying followed by emotional blackmail and have in turn blamed our solicitor for not communicating with us the vendor’s intentions (blatantly untrue.)

We had a call this morning saying that unless we committed to the property they’d tell the vendor and both parties solicitor’s that we weren’t serious buyers; however we don’t respond well to blackmail and simply repeated that we needed a firm date for completion and that we were advised to look elsewhere and had a number of other properties in mind.

On top of all this today we saw a property that we’re actually seriously considering as an alternative and frankly even if we have to wait longer to complete on this one we’re so tired of the bullying and waiting with our current house, were the buyers still refuse to even give an estimate of completion that perhaps we should just cut our losses and put in an offer? Although realistically the house we already have the paperwork is the better of the two.

I am really, really confused what to do next. The sellers ignored our ultimatum so perhaps we should walk away but then we do want the house, but how can we get a firm date for completion if they won’t respond?

Will the agency allow us to place an offer on the second house we liked if we’re still waiting on the first?

Also if the seller’s do agree a completion date could we ask for a reduction of our offer perhaps by 2% to account for the hassle and excess expenses? I know that they’re relying on our money for their next house where they’ve already invested a lot of time and money in arranging a mortgage and so on. And yet despite needing us to buy their home they still continue to ignore our solicitor for a completion date.

Right now I suppose I am considering giving them a final chance: Agree a completion date of late November but we want a £3-5k reduction so the house will be £172,000 or £170,000 which is fair given the time and money we’ve wasted waiting on them.

Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated!
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 12th Oct 16, 8:09 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    Oh no MissTasmania, how dreadful! I think that you should go back for a second viewing, and if you feel then and there that it would be a good house for you then sit down with the vendors and explain that you're in the process of buying a house, but you've had problems with the vendor and that's why you're now looking again. I'd also tell them that you've had problems with the estate agent as a result, and so you'll be submitting your offer in writing to the vendors themselves, with a copy sent to the estate agents, so that they can't delay it for you.

At the end of the day, the agents will get paid one way or another. They're annoyed because you're delaying their payoff, but you've said repeatedly that you want a quick sale so they can hardly say you're rushing at the last minute.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

House Deposit - £12132.18 | Furniture Fund - £805.86/£1000 Make £3 a Day in September - £15.24/£90 (2016 - £398.14) | Wombling - £47.08 | Wedding Fund: £2080.00/£4000
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 12th Oct 16, 8:18 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Oh no MissTasmania, how dreadful! I think that you should go back for a second viewing, and if you feel then and there that it would be a good house for you then sit down with the vendors and explain that you're in the process of buying a house, but you've had problems with the vendor and that's why you're now looking again. I'd also tell them that you've had problems with the estate agent as a result, and so you'll be submitting your offer in writing to the vendors themselves, with a copy sent to the estate agents, so that they can't delay it for you.

At the end of the day, the agents will get paid one way or another. They're annoyed because you're delaying their payoff, but you've said repeatedly that you want a quick sale so they can hardly say you're rushing at the last minute.
    Originally posted by BritishBibliophile
    Awww thank you! It means the world that people are being nice to us today instead of just the endless barrage of call from the estate agent trying to bully and scare us. The offer specified that the property was subject to quick sale; although as my solicitor pointed out that doesn't make the world of difference!

I just can't understand the seller's why would they jeopardise the sale like this? I know they now need to sell their home so they can afford the next so why not even offer us a provisional date? It just doesn't make sense.

Also it now gets weirder! The estate agent cancelled our 2nd viewing of the house that we liked because apparently the seller's didn't want people round that week! This can't be a coincidence surely? Am I being silly or does this reek of something fishy? I wish I'd met the owners instead of being shown round by an agent because I feel like the agency has too much power over the situation.
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 12th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    I have to admit to feeling completely out of my depth and after a number of very fraught, emotional days I am struggling to think logically and decide how best to proceed.

In July we offered to put in the asking price on a property that had already had two offers fall through and had been on the market almost two years. We were cash buyers, without a chain and as part of our offer we asked them to take it off the market and to request a quick sale. Our solicitor is excellent and its modern house with no issues (according to our surveyor) and so all the paper work, inventory etc was sorted and ready by the end of August.

Then the problems started the estate agent would promise every week that the seller’s would complete the following week. The sellers themselves wouldn’t even bother replying to our solicitor and so we didn’t even have an estimate of when they planned to complete.

Eventually after five weeks of this we were advised by our solicitor to look elsewhere and to also give an ultimatum to our sellers advising them we’d pull out unless we had a firm date for completion of the 7th of November at the very latest. They had until today to decide but still haven’t done so.

However it all gets a lot more complicated as we went to view a property with the same agency who’re agency or after working out what was going on went on a blitzkrieg of bullying followed by emotional blackmail and have in turn blamed our solicitor for not communicating with us the vendor’s intentions (blatantly untrue.)

We had a call this morning saying that unless we committed to the property they’d tell the vendor and both parties solicitor’s that we weren’t serious buyers; however we don’t respond well to blackmail and simply repeated that we needed a firm date for completion and that we were advised to look elsewhere and had a number of other properties in mind.

On top of all this today we saw a property that we’re actually seriously considering as an alternative and frankly even if we have to wait longer to complete on this one we’re so tired of the bullying and waiting with our current house, were the buyers still refuse to even give an estimate of completion that perhaps we should just cut our losses and put in an offer? Although realistically the house we already have the paperwork is the better of the two.

I am really, really confused what to do next. The sellers ignored our ultimatum so perhaps we should walk away but then we do want the house, but how can we get a firm date for completion if they won’t respond?

Will the agency allow us to place an offer on the second house we liked if we’re still waiting on the first?

Also if the seller’s do agree a completion date could we ask for a reduction of our offer perhaps by 2% to account for the hassle and excess expenses? I know that they’re relying on our money for their next house where they’ve already invested a lot of time and money in arranging a mortgage and so on. And yet despite needing us to buy their home they still continue to ignore our solicitor for a completion date.

Right now I suppose I am considering giving them a final chance: Agree a completion date of late November but we want a £3-5k reduction so the house will be £172,000 or £170,000 which is fair given the time and money we’ve wasted waiting on them.

Any thoughts or help would be really appreciated!
    Originally posted by MissTasmanian
    To me it seems if they have already had two sales fall through they may have acted the same to them and their buyers got fed up like you. You do not have to be blackmailed to stay if they will not respond. If you really feel this house is the one you want then you may have to stay with it but personally myself I would be looking elsewhere there must be others like it. Sometimes these things are meant to be for a reason .
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Your current issues sound a lot like the ones we have just been through although ours only lasted 2 months. Our hearts were set on the property that we eventually pulled out of, but I could not risk it dragging on for ages and wondering whether they were going to pull out at any time.

You have obviously spent money on the property...are you okay to lose this? We were considering asking them to reduce the price due to us having to put our property into storage and moving in with my mother. Honestly, if they are unable to respond to a deadline, I would highly doubt they would reduce price. But you can try...

If you imagine pulling out of the house....how would it make you feel? If it's your dream home, then stick with it. Doesn't sound like you are too far off now.

After 2 months, our vendors still hadn't even returned the fixtures and fittings.
    Natalie
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 12th Oct 16, 8:30 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    Also it now gets weirder! The estate agent cancelled our 2nd viewing of the house that we liked because apparently the seller's didn't want people round that week! This can't be a coincidence surely? Am I being silly or does this reek of something fishy? I wish I'd met the owners instead of being shown round by an agent because I feel like the agency has too much power over the situation.
    Originally posted by MissTasmanian
    That does sound suspicious, especially after you've had problems with the estate agent. We've had dreadful agents too and you do end up second-guessing Every. Single. Thing that they say or write, because you end up just being so unable to trust them. If agents were more honest then house buying would be a bit less stressful, but you might as well wish for the moon to grow hair.

Requesting a cost reduction could work, it shows the agents that you still want to buy the house but are being put off by the delays, and might sharpen the vendors eye.

This thread is very supportive, everyone was lovely when we had our student nightmare. Now we're waiting for a bloody contract and it's lovely to know I can vent on here with people who know how up and down the process is.

Don't stay away, come and scream at us and we'll help talk you through it
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

House Deposit - £12132.18 | Furniture Fund - £805.86/£1000 Make £3 a Day in September - £15.24/£90 (2016 - £398.14) | Wombling - £47.08 | Wedding Fund: £2080.00/£4000
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    You can refuse to have anything to do with the estate agent at all and use only your solicitors from now on. All you have to do is advise your solicitor.

If the EA is so desperate to move forward...have they told you what is going on with the seller and what has caused the delays?

Something does seem a little strange.

If it makes you feel any better, I am about to start typing my complaint to the EA.
    Natalie
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Oct 16, 8:52 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    lcc86
    missT, I had some issues with my vendor's EA right at the start, and I ended up popping a letter through the vendor's door detailing my position and why I felt the need to write (basically the EA lied about something quite fundamental and also tried to bully me into selling with them and threatened to find another buyer if I refused). It worked out for me because I've been in direct touch with the vendor ever since any time something's come up and have effectively cut the agent out. You could maybe try this with the vendors of the new house you like? Just explain your situation and leave a contact number? Could be that the agent is lying about them not wanting visitors, or if not, I'm sure they would clarify for you. I thought I was a weirdo putting a letter through a stranger's door but it worked out for the best.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £233 97.4% paid
    • obay
    • By obay 12th Oct 16, 9:12 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    obay
    So,

Solicitors have taken my deposit to day and they are saying 2 weeks we can finally move!! Not bad going since we've been doing full application since August...
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    So,

Solicitors have taken my deposit to day and they are saying 2 weeks we can finally move!! Not bad going since we've been doing full application since August...
    Originally posted by obay
    That's great Obay!

I remember you joining around the same time as me. Although i'll be around for sometime yet.
    Natalie
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 10:47 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Complaint has been emailed to the EA. Off to bed for me now. Hated writing that as I feel like I've made friendships with some of them...but then again, I'm paying them for that "friendship" so to speak.

If I can claw back some of the expenses, then it'll lessen the blow a little.
    Natalie
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 13th Oct 16, 8:03 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

Another day at it!

Hoping to speak to surveyor about our purchase today as his mail said he'd call today with outcome. All other plans rest on what he's going to say, I guess!

BOnfire, don't feel bad about the email, it needed saying and even friendly estate agents need to know when their customer service falls short of expectation! At end of the day, their lack of a straight response to you cost you time and money and is likely to cost you even more hassle as you have to stay temporarily with family.

MissTasmanian, I really hope something useful happens for you today, whatever you decide to do. I'd definitely be considering a note in the door of the property you'd like a 2nd viewing on, EA response seems very suspicious.

Hope it's a fruitful day for imminent exchangers today, fingers crossed!

PN x
    Last edited by PlaysNicely; 13-10-2016 at 8:09 AM. Reason: Rubbish typing
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 13th Oct 16, 10:17 AM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 1,751 Thanks
    lee111s
    Solicitor STILL not heard from buyers solicitor about the gifted deposit letter approval! More chasing to be done, we're so close to exchange I can taste it!

Update: Buyers solicitor still awaiting confirmation from the lender that the gited deposit letter is accpetable. They have confirmed that once they get the OK we can exchange.

On. The. Edge.
    Last edited by lee111s; 13-10-2016 at 10:35 AM.
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 13th Oct 16, 10:48 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    So fed up, bottom of the chain is still (apparently) awaiting a search to come back. Even if they had started them on the first time they said they were waiting for it, it would be back by now. Everyone else is ready. Feeling really peeved with it today.
    • ap1985
    • By ap1985 13th Oct 16, 11:22 AM
    • 265 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    ap1985
    After so much going back and forth from the solicitors and our mortgage lender and HTB we should hopefully receive the authority to exchange from HTB tomorrow (so our solicitors tell us)...fingers crossed it all goes plain sailing from here!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

275Posts Today

1,339Users online

Martin's Twitter