Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 841Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 362
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 12th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 266 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    Another day has gone by without exchange.

Onward chain solicitor didn't respond yesterday regarding the whole "written or verbal consent" issue. They're either incredible incompetent or they've decided they can't accept verbal and are looking to get written from the vendor.

Can't see how this would take very long so going to call our solicitors this morning who have been very good, and explain the fact we are not happy they have strung us along for 3 weeks and need to push for exchange today. We are not happy with the relatively small gap before completion we have at the moment anyway without it being any bigger. Pushing completion date back just doesn't feel like an option at this stage.

Good luck all, here we go again!
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    BB I feel your pain we took the desision to pull out after the vendor kept moving goal posts and threatening us with withdrawing but turns out this new house is 100% better for us it all works out in the end xx
    Originally posted by jojo9239

It's awful because it's not just financial it's so blinking emotional too. I am quite detached at the moment (for now). The new house is lovely...not as new or at "showhome" standard but we will put our stamp on it. My friend has also offered on a house a few doors down and our children are in nursery together.

The other house was very much "out in the sticks" and I don't think there were many kids about.

Vendors should realise that they cant afford to mess people arround so badly. There are always more houses on the market.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Another day has gone by without exchange.

Onward chain solicitor didn't respond yesterday regarding the whole "written or verbal consent" issue. They're either incredible incompetent or they've decided they can't accept verbal and are looking to get written from the vendor.

Can't see how this would take very long so going to call our solicitors this morning who have been very good, and explain the fact we are not happy they have strung us along for 3 weeks and need to push for exchange today. We are not happy with the relatively small gap before completion we have at the moment anyway without it being any bigger. Pushing completion date back just doesn't feel like an option at this stage.

Good luck all, here we go again!
    Originally posted by mattk_180

Get on the blower and harrass all day - hopefully your solicitor can put the pressure on the others. Hope to hear good news today for you.
    Natalie
    • jodiepoke
    • By jodiepoke 12th Oct 16, 10:29 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jodiepoke
    After months of the vendor slowing things up she's decided she wants everything to be completed by the 31st October. We thought great we are happy with that.. but we've only just found out one of the blocks of flats needs a complete roof replacement and each leaseholder (there are 18) will need to pay towards the replacement and that would include us/ the vendor!!

Our happiness and excitement turned to upset and confusion... we are now not sure if we want to continue and are worried the cost will be too high for us to afford with all the other fees that go with house buying ! Now we are thinking the vendor wants to be out before the bill comes in! Hopefully we find out soon and can figure out what we want to do and get the vendor to pay for all or at least a large portion of the bill. (I was thinking the sale was going a bit too smoothly compared to some of the other stories in here! )

Hopefully it will all be sorted and we will be happy again soon!

Good Luck to everyone with their house buying!
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 10:33 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    After months of the vendor slowing things up she's decided she wants everything to be completed by the 31st October. We thought great we are happy with that.. but we've only just found out one of the blocks of flats needs a complete roof replacement and each leaseholder (there are 18) will need to pay towards the replacement and that would include us/ the vendor!!

Our happiness and excitement turned to upset and confusion... we are now not sure if we want to continue and are worried the cost will be too high for us to afford with all the other fees that go with house buying ! Now we are thinking the vendor wants to be out before the bill comes in! Hopefully we find out soon and can figure out what we want to do and get the vendor to pay for all or at least a large portion of the bill. (I was thinking the sale was going a bit too smoothly compared to some of the other stories in here! )

Hopefully it will all be sorted and we will be happy again soon!

Good Luck to everyone with their house buying!
    Originally posted by jodiepoke

Argh - how frustrating. How much is this repair going to cost each flat owner?
    Natalie
    • jodiepoke
    • By jodiepoke 12th Oct 16, 11:03 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jodiepoke
    Originally posted by Bonfire Bride
    We are waiting to find out at the moment, which I'm sure will take a nice lengthy few days!

I did email the estate agent to let them know of this and added a few bits to scare them into thinking we might pull out in the hopes it will move things along a bit quicker!

We are FTB and live with parents so we don't have anything pushing us other than impatience!
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 12th Oct 16, 11:10 AM
    • 2,464 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    lee111s
    Another day waiting for the phone to ring. There is now nothing more for me or my buyer to do other than wait for the call to say we're exchanged.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 12th Oct 16, 12:03 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    BB - sounds like the new house has plenty of positives and lots to work with. Might not be as up to scratch as the last place but just see it as being able to put more of your own stamp on it.

Now for the big news!! WE'VE EXCHANGED!

Didn't even need to call the solicitor this morning, they called me before I got to it. Confirmed the vendor was now ready to complete and asked for my consent to exchange (usual solicitor is off today so had to reconfirm to a different one to go ahead). Also needed to activate our house insurance.

About half an hour later I got the call to say it's all done and we are now going to be picking up our keys next Friday 21/10! Doesn't quite seem real just yet!!
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 12th Oct 16, 12:07 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    It's awful because it's not just financial it's so blinking emotional too. I am quite detached at the moment (for now). The new house is lovely...not as new or at "showhome" standard but we will put our stamp on it. My friend has also offered on a house a few doors down and our children are in nursery together.

The other house was very much "out in the sticks" and I don't think there were many kids about.

Vendors should realise that they cant afford to mess people arround so badly. There are always more houses on the market.
    It's awful I cried taking cat to cattery cried loading the storage unit and cried handing keys to agent lol i wasn't upset about leaving the house as we hated our home but it's the inconvenience of it all hopefully this will all be a distant memory soon x
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 12th Oct 16, 12:12 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    BB - sounds like the new house has plenty of positives and lots to work with. Might not be as up to scratch as the last place but just see it as being able to put more of your own stamp on it.

Didn't even need to call the solicitor this morning, they called me before I got to it. Confirmed the vendor was now ready to complete and asked for my consent to exchange (usual solicitor is off today so had to reconfirm to a different one to go ahead). Also needed to activate our house insurance.

About half an hour later I got the call to say it's all done and we are now going to be picking up our keys next Friday 21/10! Doesn't quite seem real just yet!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Yay...finally some good news!
    Natalie
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    lcc86

You should ask your solicitor to include a retainer, meaning any costs incurred before you move in are covered by the vendor. Worth exploring. Either way the vendor might have to cough up because if you were to pull out they may not find another buyer before the work needs doing anyway.

My buyer's solicitor said yesterday they were passing the file to their supervisor to be signed off ready for exchange. Just heard today that instead of doing that, they've decided to ask the SAME queries YET AGAIN despite my buyer saying she's happy with it all!! I've half a mind to pull out and find a buyer with a decent solicitor, we are just going round and round in circles over and over. So stressful.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £233 97.4% paid
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 12th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    whizzybee
    EXCHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *does the happy dance*

We complete next Thursday and to top it off, the completion statement shows that there is less to pay that I initially thought.

I haven't got the energy to put the full timeline, except:

Offer put in: 20th June 2016
    Offer amended: 21st June 2016
    Offer accepted: 24th June 2016

*Scene missing, stuff with searches, surveys, quotes, emails going back and forth, signed my life away about 40 times*

Exchange of contracts: 12th October 2016
    Completion: 20th October 2016

Sorry to hear of others woes, I hope you get there soon and congrats to those who have reached this mythical stage!
    • Korra
    • By Korra 12th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    Congratulations mattk_180 and whizzybee...

2016: Hopefully be a FTB
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 12th Oct 16, 12:52 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

Woo hoo Whizzy and Matt, busy old week for moves next week then! Many congratulations and best wishes for the move.

Rooting for you Lcc, can't believe they are still faffing about with queries even though the buyer has said she's happy! Any chance of sharing your dissatisfaction to the EA? A few hints in their direction about feeling like pulling out and they'll be onto the solicitors to try to rescue the commission quicker than you can say 'exchange of contracts'. Hope someone comes good for you today.

PNx
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 12th Oct 16, 12:57 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    Congrats to both you guys. Hope to be joining you soon.

We've signed, our vendors signed, buyers signed today just the FTB at the bottom to sign and we're ready to go.
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 12th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    EXCHANGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *does the happy dance*

We complete next Thursday and to top it off, the completion statement shows that there is less to pay that I initially thought.

I haven't got the energy to put the full timeline, except:

Offer put in: 20th June 2016
    Offer amended: 21st June 2016
    Offer accepted: 24th June 2016

*Scene missing, stuff with searches, surveys, quotes, emails going back and forth, signed my life away about 40 times*

Exchange of contracts: 12th October 2016
    Completion: 20th October 2016

Sorry to hear of others woes, I hope you get there soon and congrats to those who have reached this mythical stage!
    Originally posted by whizzybee
    Congratulations you complete the same day as us starting to feel a bit more excited now.
    Our vendor gave us the key to the garage so we could move some things in there . He's been really good waiting for all the delays. Thats your Birthday isn't it ?
    Last edited by abbey516; 12-10-2016 at 1:15 PM.
    • Jox
    • By Jox 12th Oct 16, 1:09 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Jox
    Happy to hear good news! Congratulations
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 12th Oct 16, 1:13 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516

Congratulations in the end it seem to go through so quick and you wonder why it has taken so long
    • Murray87
    • By Murray87 12th Oct 16, 3:30 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Murray87
    Congratulations those who have exchanged this week! It's such an amazing feeling! You must be so pleased

Have to say I'm twiddling my thumbs a bit now after being used to sending emails or calling solicitors every day! New build due to complete around the 3rd December so it seems strange that there's not really much communication between now and then.

Will be throwing ourselves into packing from this weekend so I'm sure that will bring with it plenty of drama!

Hope some more of you get good news before the week is out!
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 12th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 1,217 Thanks
    lcc86

Woo hoo Whizzy and Matt, busy old week for moves next week then! Many congratulations and best wishes for the move.

Rooting for you Lcc, can't believe they are still faffing about with queries even though the buyer has said she's happy! Any chance of sharing your dissatisfaction to the EA? A few hints in their direction about feeling like pulling out and they'll be onto the solicitors to try to rescue the commission quicker than you can say 'exchange of contracts'. Hope someone comes good for you today.

PNx
    Originally posted by PlaysNicely
    My EA knows exactly how I feel, I think they feel the same Apparently it's a mix up and al sorted now. Still aiming to exchange on Friday, but won't believe it until it actually happens! Lol

Congrats to all those who have exchanged today, must feel like a weight is lifted!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £233 97.4% paid
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

694Posts Today

5,536Users online

Martin's Twitter