Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 841Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 360
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 10th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Hi everyone

Just logged in to see how people are doing - I've been too down to log in much the past week.

BB - can't believe your sellers are behaving like that, I just can't understand why people don't see what a big emotional deal moving house is.

No update on mine - today was supposed to be our moving date but instead we're now 10 days in to silence from our buyers who are still deciding whether they want to buy our house anymore because of the high speed rail plans. Husband turned 30 on Saturday but it was a bitter sweet day as we thought we'd have heard either way on Friday but faced yet another weekend of silence.

It's crazy but I feel worse for the people we are buying off as I haven't been able to confirm what's happening yet as don't have a clue - I keep picturing they have packed up ready to go and we're sat here not knowing if we will be able to move anymore!. I'm so glad we didn't pack up any of our house though.

It's strange though, because we were so ready to move to start a family and then my sister who is younger has just announced she's pregnant - iys been a tough weekend going from thinking we'd be starting fresh today in a new house to now facing into learning to love our little house all over again.

Did anyone else fall out of love with their current house during selling? I need to get out of this funk and get on with it!

We were hoping to have heard either way by last Friday as we planned to take a holiday this week so as not to be sat around dwelling on not moving but with us still not knowing either way, we don't dare spend the money.

I really hope everyone else's moves are progressing well - for now, we continue to sit and wait!
    Originally posted by lifeofunmumsy

Yes, 100% did, Couldn't wait to get out of it, every thing neighbours did and more I looked round the house seeing what needed don't if we were staying depressed me, and we were there for ten happy years
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 10th Oct 16, 1:02 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    Yes, 100% did, Couldn't wait to get out of it, every thing neighbours did and more I looked round the house seeing what needed don't if we were staying depressed me, and we were there for ten happy years
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Exactly the same. I think it's a natural process of detachment other wise none of us would ever move anywhere. We've had 20 wonderful years in our house. All of our children have been born and raised whilst living here, we have wonderful chrtismas memories. I have emotionally detached myself from the house. I'm ready to move. I'm excited by our new house. We're going. To be living in a building fornfor 4-6 weeks which is going to be very hard but it will be worth it!
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 10th Oct 16, 1:08 PM
    • 27,833 Posts
    • 51,082 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    We owned our house for forty years but were able to leave it behind without a backward glance. I didn't think we would be able to. But now we love our bungalow so much and are making new memories
    To love someone is to learn the song in their heart and to sing it to them when they have forgotten it
    'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because I see everything by it': C.S. Lewis
    St. Augustine — 'In essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.'
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 10th Oct 16, 4:53 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    I think I will. I've just taken out new insurance in my currently place, have to cos of existing mortgage but pain for timing. I am however in the 14 day cooling off period so I can cancel if we exchange this week. Our vendors are signing this week our buyers have signed just the bottom of the chain to get done this week and we exchange! I think my default feeling this week will be slightly nauseated lol
    Originally posted by Levs01
    We took ours out in August with Legal and General they were great gave us a month free.We had to because we have equity on our property and they needed to see the new house was insured at exchange, been paying it for 3 months now as move on 20th Oct didn't cost much but gave us peace of mind will cancel on this one on 20th.
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 10th Oct 16, 5:09 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    Hi everyone

Just logged in to see how people are doing - I've been too down to log in much the past week.

BB - can't believe your sellers are behaving like that, I just can't understand why people don't see what a big emotional deal moving house is.

No update on mine - today was supposed to be our moving date but instead we're now 10 days in to silence from our buyers who are still deciding whether they want to buy our house anymore because of the high speed rail plans. Husband turned 30 on Saturday but it was a bitter sweet day as we thought we'd have heard either way on Friday but faced yet another weekend of silence.

It's crazy but I feel worse for the people we are buying off as I haven't been able to confirm what's happening yet as don't have a clue - I keep picturing they have packed up ready to go and we're sat here not knowing if we will be able to move anymore!. I'm so glad we didn't pack up any of our house though.

It's strange though, because we were so ready to move to start a family and then my sister who is younger has just announced she's pregnant - iys been a tough weekend going from thinking we'd be starting fresh today in a new house to now facing into learning to love our little house all over again.

Did anyone else fall out of love with their current house during selling? I need to get out of this funk and get on with it!

We were hoping to have heard either way by last Friday as we planned to take a holiday this week so as not to be sat around dwelling on not moving but with us still not knowing either way, we don't dare spend the money.

I really hope everyone else's moves are progressing well - for now, we continue to sit and wait!
    Originally posted by lifeofunmumsy
    So sorry for your problems I can sympathize how you feel when the day comes round you should have been moving.

Yes I did fall out of love with my house several times . But sometimes after viewing other property I wondered why we were moving and came home and loved it again. Then when we had some offers I fell out again but finally when I found the one we wanted I realized I could love that house too. We have been here 36 years had lots of happy memories with my children and pets but having lost both my cats recently one 18 and the other 20 it's time to move with the new one we have. We even lost our fish this year to a heron after 20 years and only one survived but when we looked in the summer there were 7 babies and their growing big now so the new owner can enjoy them .It's time to make a new start for our old age and the house will be more manageable for us both . Hoping you get some good news soon and always remember it's what you make of a house and the one's your with, not the house it's self
    • armyhedge
    • By armyhedge 10th Oct 16, 5:13 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    armyhedge
    I've been watching this thread with interest and now, finally, think we might be ready to add to it!

Our circumstances are slightly different as we had a previous sale fall through so mortgage & solicitor were already in place.

Our timeline is...
    Offer made & accepted: 22nd August
    Solicitor engaged: 23rd August
    Mortgage company notified: 24th August
    Survey: 2nd Sept (report back 12th Sept)
    Contract received: 14th Sept
    Mortgage deed received: 16th Sept
    Local authority search received: 30th Sept
    Planning to Chaps the deposit tomorrow 4th Oct
    Exchange?

We're in a chain of three:
    Our purchase
    Seller's purchase (apparently ready to exchange)
    + 1 purchase (currently vacant, with an offer accepted sometime at the beginning of the summer)

Just waiting to hear when contracts will be signed by everyone else and also confirmation about a statutory declaration that the top of the chain need.

Feels like we are close but how close we don't know as EA is being generally vague

Thanks
    Originally posted by armyhedge
    Shortly after I posted this we had confirmation that the outstanding items in the chain were sorted and that we would all be ready to exchange from today (10th Oct) with a deadline of Wednesday (12th) to meet completion on 24th Oct.

Cut to today and as we have recently changed our mortgage product rate (loan amount stays the same) then we need to wait for a new reoffer to be sent out and certificate of title from the solicitors sent back.

So a little egg on our face as the delay is ours. From talking to the lender they said it wouldn't impact on exchange but after talking to our solicitor, they advised to wait.

Reoffer due by fax tomorrow (very old school) or post on Wednesday/Thursday. Therefore opting for a 9am call tomorrow to lender to get fax moving so can keep on track for Wednesday's deadline.

V. stressed by it all but its of our own making.
    Hope this doesn't spook the chain
    Fingers crossed that faxes still work
    • Korra
    • By Korra 10th Oct 16, 5:43 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    Hi all,

I have been busy the last few weeks at work and trying to get everything sorted for the solicitors. I have been reading the posts when I have had a quiet moment.

Congratulations to all that have exchanged and/or completed.

BB sorry to hear about the isses you've had with ur seller. Glad you have found another property.

I should be exchanging at some point this week. I need to post the signed contracts and the final paperwork to them tomorrow and transfer the deposit required for exchange. I need to go view the property again as I last saw it at the end of May. I also plan to measure the space where the wardrobe will go and the space for the washing machine.

Completion should be next week but I might request it for the 25th. I have until the end of November to move out of the flat so plan is to take 2 weeks off in November and move in properly.

Fingers crossed for everyone.
    2016: Hopefully be a FTB
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • thegirlintheattic
    • By thegirlintheattic 10th Oct 16, 6:38 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    thegirlintheattic
    I'm glad to hear others have been okay exchanging/completing on the same day. It's our preferred choice as there is no chain and we have a months overlap with our rental (not triggered till exchange).

Hope this week brings news.
    Save £200 a month : Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
    • Davo_
    • By Davo_ 10th Oct 16, 7:12 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Davo_
    Hi folks. I posted a while back stating I was hoping to exchange soon but I obviously cursed it! I have read the recent posts and I am sorry to hear of a lot of the stress people go through and think I need to consider myself a little lucky? Are they ever straightforward?

I am a FTB and had offer accepted 23 June. Long story short I said I would wait until September to complete because my seller had to wait out a contract with another estate agent to avoid paying 2 sets of fees. I gave notice on my rental place in August as we were "on track" to complete in September. It came and went and I had to move out end of September. This was supposed to be for a week or so, so I am staying with family/friends.

Was really frustrated to hear from EA last week that my seller hasn't got their mortgage offer in place on their connected purchase, they've had THREE MONTHS to sort it out. Was further frustrated to hear that there is now an issue on their credit check but it "should be fine". Found this out Saturday morning and spent the weekend worrying it will all fall through and I have no where to live.

I am fortunate compared to others because I am just a purchase (can't imagine the stress of simultaneous purchase and sale) and I am just me, no kids or pets to worry about. But I am feeling quite stressed by it all and frustrated that there is little to nothing I can do to hurry it along... I think I share this feeling with a lot of you!
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 10th Oct 16, 7:33 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Same here I stopped doing my Saturday deep cleans for like 5 weeks think I just wanted out in the end hence why we are at mums now
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 10th Oct 16, 7:45 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    lcc86
    Same here I stopped doing my Saturday deep cleans for like 5 weeks think I just wanted out in the end hence why we are at mums now
    Originally posted by jojo9239
    Glad I'm not the only one who now doesn't want to.clean!! Should be moving this week or next so I keep telling myself I don't have to clean until it's empty!
    1/12/14 total £9,140 Today £233 97.4% paid
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 10th Oct 16, 8:07 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    I didn't even have time to clean when we left I felt so bad but was so rushed plus I'd packed the Hoover off to the storage unit
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 10th Oct 16, 8:10 PM
    • 2,469 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    lee111s
    Hoping tomorrow is the day!
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 10th Oct 16, 8:23 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    Glad I'm not the only one who now doesn't want to.clean!! Should be moving this week or next so I keep telling myself I don't have to clean until it's empty!
    Originally posted by lcc86
    Same here just let things go but today I started deep cleaning bathroom kitchen and clearing a few more bits and pieces out .We move 20th Oct and thought I didn't want to reflect that I didn't keep it clean.
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 10th Oct 16, 9:24 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    whizzybee
    well after virtually no contact, Ive pushed for a completion date of next Thursday (nothing like all eggs in one basket and what not...) but I have been assured that we are ready to exchange. So now I await the phonecall!
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 10th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    When did you all start suggesting exchange and completion dates? Early on in the process or when things had really moved on?
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 10th Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Quite a relaxed day today...after last weeks hell. I emailed solicitor to advise of withdrawal and new purchase and that's about it. Will contact broker a little further down the line to arrange new mortgage offer and valuation.

I erm....forgot...to tell EA about us pulling out of first purchase I'll do it tomorrow.

WhizzyB - how exciting! Let us know!

Davo - I would be super annoyed too...why on earth have they left it this long to get a mortgage? I hope it all goes smoothly for you. Some people just have no sense of urgency or realise how important it all is.

Life of unmumsy - I was looking forward to hearing that it was all "systems go". I thought they wanted 7 days? Have you had any update from them at all? Are you going to give them a deadline or are you concerned it cause them to withdraw?

Abbey - You're moving date is my birthday (and my sons 1st birthday). Hope it all goes smoothly for you. Bet you're excited. I didn't polish for 4 weeks after we accepted an offer...I had been polishing 3x a week for 19 months

BritishB - I hope things get going for you soon - I find being in "limbo" so frustrating. Even just a small update to say "don't worry about the current silence, things are still progressing"

Mattk - not long now. Why cant people be honest rather than try to stall at every turn? If our vendors had been honest, I think we would still be purchasing.

JoJo - we will be in a similar position when we sell our home. Moving in with mum - hope your sale progresses quickly for you. I'm sure you will look back at this short time with your mum in a fond way.

Playsnicely - love your weekly plans. I am going to start doing some of my own. I love lists...my work desk is always full of them.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • Korra
    • By Korra 10th Oct 16, 10:00 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    Korra
    copperjar, my solicitor mentioned it end of September that exchange and completion can happen in October. I think i would have exchanged by now if i hadn't taken 10 days to get a few things signes and witnessed. The EA was chasing before this asking for exchange to happen asap. The searches were completed around the 3rd week in September.
    2016: Hopefully be a FTB
    Complete 27.10.2016
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 10th Oct 16, 10:03 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    When did you all start suggesting exchange and completion dates? Early on in the process or when things had really moved on?
    Originally posted by copperjar
    I would put it out there ASAP - it will give them an idea of what they are working towards.

I told our solicitor early on and she said she had forwarded the proposed date to the others in the chain.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • thegirlintheattic
    • By thegirlintheattic 10th Oct 16, 10:29 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    thegirlintheattic
    Originally posted by copperjar
    We gave our time scale in the 1st meeting with the solicitor. Today our solicitor has checked we're still aiming for the date we gave - so hopefully a step closer!

I'd suggest it ASAP. I think the completion date is only set on exchange though.
    Save £200 a month : Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,844Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter