Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Z
    • By Mrs Z 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    • 859Posts
    • 841Thanks
    Mrs Z
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me?
    • 31st Mar 14, 2:28 PM
    Waiting to exchange - anyone want to join me? 31st Mar 14 at 2:28 PM
    Well, we have now passed the 'mortgage application' and survey hurdle and searches are all done. As far as I know, our buyers should also have everything in order. We are now waiting for our seller to get to the same point as they found their house a fortnight after accepting the offer from us. It is nerve wrecking... anyone want to join me????!!!
Page 359
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 8th Oct 16, 10:44 PM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    BB You've had a right rough ride of it! Im glad theres some light at the end of your tunnel!
    Originally posted by ultimatedingbat
    Thank You....here's hoping.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 8th Oct 16, 11:10 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    Crikey Bonfire, what a rollercoaster you've been on. Your instincts were right - you said a while back you were starting to get bad feelings about the people you were buying from. So glad you've been able to find somewhere else and are getting on with that so quickly.

Do your sellers know that you've pulled out and won't be waiting for them?
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £5523.53/£6000
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 8th Oct 16, 11:12 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

BB, just checked in quick, wanted to say I'm sorry your sellers proved so rubbish but im really glad you've managed to find an alternative which sounds so perfect (and likely to be quick)!

Fingers crossed you will get the happy ending (and respect from the sellers) that you deserve this time around ... your buyers are lucky to have you and so were your previous sellers, it's a shame they didn't appreciate that fact (and the fact that their selfishness was costing you time and money). Wishing you all the best this time around.

PN x
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 8th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    Oh my goodness unmumsy and MissT...I really thought we were going through it but I really really empathise with this rubbish you are both going through. People just seem to forget how "big a deal" buying a house is and completely take the p!ss.

I have bent over backwards for our buyers...because that honestly is the type of person I am...I don't want them to move in with bad feelings against us. I have returned all paperwork the next working day and have made sure they have been updated at every stage via the EA. I have given them a huge, nearly new wardrobe for free because I remember what it was like starting out as a FTB. I've lost our boiler service cert from last year, so I'm having another one done next week so they don't have to worry about the heating failing in the middle of winter.

We have 2 very young children and our sellers were quite happy to keep us in the dark. They waited until we had started spending money on mortgage valuation, searches etc before telling us they didn't have any plans to move out....

Disgusting attitude.

I really really hope you have good news next week xx
    Originally posted by Bonfire Bride
    That's really awful of them BB. I'm so glad you have found an alternate so quickly. I wouldn't be in a great rush to tell the old vendor you found somewhere else. They've dragged this out for months and it's not fair. Good news is your mortgage should be quick as it's already approved just need a new valuation.
    • Bonfire Bride
    • By Bonfire Bride 9th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 664 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    Bonfire Bride
    Thank You everyone. I have neglected all your own journeys lately because this has been so overwhelming. Apologies. Looks like I'll be here for the long run again and will be waiting for 2x exchanges to happen. Want our buyers in for Christmas...

I have not told our sellers yet I will inform the solicitor first thing tomorrow but will leave it hang a little.

I'm going to raise a complaint with the EA aswell. Its awful as I felt like I had a good relationship going with them. They sold our house and were the EA for the vendors...but they blatenty lied to me last week with their story completely changing throughout the week.

If they had advised that they were aware of a chain then I could have suspended the searches etc and not lost money.

I'm going to email them next week and copy in my solicitor...if I can get halved fees for the sale then the money lost will be reduced a little.

Thing is....do I start the process again quickly? I'm so concerned that it will happen all over again. Although the new vendors are having a new build and have already put their deposit down, so I guess this is a better position to be in. I'll wait for our solicitor to receive the draft contract and then instruct searches.
    Mummy to 2 little boys born in 2013 & 2015
    House on the market for 19 months ....SOLD! ...complete!
    Natalie
    • nicole19922
    • By nicole19922 9th Oct 16, 4:34 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    nicole19922
    Hi Ladies & Gents...just stepped into the thread this evening...haven't been able to up until now as I've been so stressed and upset by the whole thing. Sellers told us on Monday that they had no intention of renting and we had to wait until they found a house. 2 months into the process!!! My solicitor told me to give them an ultimatum. It took us 19 months to find our buyers and I do not want to lose them.

EA spent ALL of last week trying to contact seller...even sent her a letter on Thursday asking her to contact them ASAP - nothing. I could see it falling apart - we have mortgage offer, all surveys done and have paid for searches. They hadn't even returned the fixtures and fittings...my solicitor was chasing every day for 3 weeks for these.

Today, I found the "memo of sale" - with the sellers telephone number.

So...I text them to ask whether the house was still for sale and that the EA had been trying to contact them all week. They replied saying that they still hadn't found anywhere, had been let down by potential purchases and didn't think they would find anything this side of Christmas. No apology for messing us around, no explanation of why the property was falsely advertised....just basically..."tough"

So, last night I was looking through rightmove and noticed that a property we had offered on 2 months back was back on the market (added last night)...so we have spent the day negotiating and have had an offer accepted. Yay!

They are purchasing a newbuild which is ready at the end of November and will do everything they can to accommodate a quick move.

We are going to exchange and complete on our house asap and move in with mum until the house is ready.

So, we are sort of back to square 1 on our purchase but our sale is going through nicely and we have the documents to sign with witness present to send back.

Abbey & Phirefly - So blinking glad you exchanged! Congratulations...I bet you are having a wonderful weekend.

Good luck to everyone approaching exchange next week. I've had a quick glace at the posts, but will go back now to have a read xx
    I have no advice but just wanted to say I feel your pain!! Our vendors were exactly the same, put us in a really difficult position as we were FTB... we gave them an ultimatum and thankfully they sorted themselves out and we finally completed at the end of September (offer was accepted start of April). I'm glad you've managed to find another property, we had literally no other choice in our area so really started to panic. I hope this one moves much quicker and smoother for you!
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 9th Oct 16, 5:06 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    Congratulations.

We seem to be progressing slowly.

Mortgage is now back, negotiations over survey faults are sorted and the solicitor has submitted enquires (not sure what they are) and is sending us the property information form. I'm hoping this means we may still be able to complete by the end of the month.
    Originally posted by thegirlintheattic
    We are exacaly the same had to haggle over the price. Mortgage now approved last Thursday and solicitor has started enquiries we are aiming for 11th Nov fingers crossed
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 9th Oct 16, 5:32 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    We are exacaly the same had to haggle over the price. Mortgage now approved last Thursday and solicitor has started enquiries we are aiming for 11th Nov fingers crossed
    Originally posted by jojo9239
    Ooh, we're aiming for 10th November but haven't actually said that out loud to anyone that counts yet! Our sale is progressing well, think it's about done, our purchase a bit slower. Mortgage offer now in, have paid for searches and a survey, but no contact yet from the vendor's solicitor. So I don't know whether to start talking openly about aiming for 10th for completion or whether it's too early for me to even start having those conversations with our EA/solicitor yet.
    • BritishBibliophile
    • By BritishBibliophile 9th Oct 16, 5:55 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,374 Thanks
    BritishBibliophile
    Congratulations Abbey and Phire, so glad to hear you've both exchanged!

Sorry to hear about your problems with your vendors Bonfire, but at least you've found another purchase and you can tell your vendors to stick their house. I'd be interested to hear what their response is when they hear that their sale has fallen through!

I ended up phoning the estate agent on Friday to ask if they knew if the vendors were still selling. I didn't get to talk to the normal agent as he wasn't in the office, but did talk to one of the lettings staff who said that the vendors were definitely selling as they'd turned down a lot of potential tenants as they weren't interested in keeping the property. He couldn't tell me how long it takes to draw up a contract for sale, but he was just sure that they were still selling.

So I guess it's just a case of waiting around. My MIL keeps telling me it'll be 3 months as "it always is", but frankly if you're not in a chain then I don't see why it should be that long
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

House Deposit - £12132.18 | Furniture Fund - £805.86/£1000 Make £3 a Day in September - £15.24/£90 (2016 - £398.14) | Wombling - £47.08 | Wedding Fund: £2080.00/£4000
    • thegirlintheattic
    • By thegirlintheattic 9th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 3,509 Thanks
    thegirlintheattic
    Originally posted by jojo9239
    I hope it goes well jojo and copper. We've been told to aim for 1st week in November by the EA but our solicitor is aware that we want in ASAP and preferably before the end of the month.

Are either of you planning to exchange and complete on the same day?
    Save £200 a month : Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
    • copperjar
    • By copperjar 9th Oct 16, 7:05 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 1,818 Thanks
    copperjar
    I exchanged and completed on the same day when I moved into my current house without any problems at all. This time I think we'll give a week or so between if possible. That's all dependent on things moving along at a pace though. If we can't complete on 10/11th, it will have to be early December because of a holiday!!

Maybe I need to be telling the EA this?
    • abbey516
    • By abbey516 9th Oct 16, 10:34 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    abbey516
    Oh my goodness unmumsy and MissT...I really thought we were going through it but I really really empathise with this rubbish you are both going through. People just seem to forget how "big a deal" buying a house is and completely take the p!ss.

I have bent over backwards for our buyers...because that honestly is the type of person I am...I don't want them to move in with bad feelings against us. I have returned all paperwork the next working day and have made sure they have been updated at every stage via the EA. I have given them a huge, nearly new wardrobe for free because I remember what it was like starting out as a FTB. I've lost our boiler service cert from last year, so I'm having another one done next week so they don't have to worry about the heating failing in the middle of winter.

We have 2 very young children and our sellers were quite happy to keep us in the dark. They waited until we had started spending money on mortgage valuation, searches etc before telling us they didn't have any plans to move out....

Disgusting attitude.

I really really hope you have good news next week xx
    I'm glad you have found a new house and decided to not be messed around . Like you we did everything as fast as we could I even felt sometimes I was doing the solicitors work for them. We were let down by our buyers and their EA they kept us in the dark even after we waited for them when their first buyer let them down, Our vendor was brilliant he could have put it back on the market as a lovely house all recently renovated and I'm sure he would have sold again quickly. I just can't quite believe we are actually moving at last . I wil keep my fingers crossed for you and sometimes these things are meant for a reason so maybe this house will be a better choice in the end
    • jojo9239
    • By jojo9239 9th Oct 16, 10:46 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    jojo9239
    I hope it goes well jojo and copper. We've been told to aim for 1st week in November by the EA but our solicitor is aware that we want in ASAP and preferably before the end of the month.

Are either of you planning to exchange and complete on the same day?
    Originally posted by thegirlintheattic
    Well we have sold our and completed on 16th Sept been at my mums since haha we exchanged and completed in same day on our sale and wasnt many issues just didnt complete till 330 which was fine for us but I imagine if you had loaded a van and were waiting it would be a pain. I think im going to give it till about 21st oct then ask solicitor where we are. Our vendor is buying somewhere with no chain so shouldnt be too complicated but the house we were buying previously had no chain and fell through

Good Luck everyone xx
    • PlaysNicely
    • By PlaysNicely 10th Oct 16, 7:59 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 172 Thanks
    PlaysNicely

Morning ... another week at it!

Phirefly, I missed your latest posting Friday .. so pleased to see that Friday ended well for you! Hope you've had a happy weekend of planning and packing, all the best to yourself and of course Abbey, for moving day!

To everyone else and those thoughts about dates ... we also started this ball rolling quite early on as we're just a chain of 3 and no mortgages involved, so I was hoping for last week in October when OH has a week off and our buyers were also pushing to be in asap. However, our buyers then waited for the survey before instructing searches (& their chosen surveyor was unavailable) so week 4 of process before survey, and still not sure if they've instructed searches as they are still reviewing survey report.

I've found out that the one we're buying (chain free and vacant) is a probate sale but no one can tell me if probate has been granted and my solicitor is away until the end of this week, so she hasn't been able to get onto it.

So, we're also looking at mid-Nov latest to complete but would like to exchange asap (our buyers also want exchange asap). So it looks like this might be a busy venting thread through early November as we all do the necessary with EAs, solicitors and everyone else involved ... good to have this hub of sanity and understanding going into it!

I'd be happy to consider exchange and completion on the same day, but I know it can be extra stressful ... my sister and her hubby once did this in a chain of 3. Mind you, their extra stress came from the fact the vendors left the dog behind because it was "all too unsettling for it"!

Aims for this week:
    Try to get F&F issue dealt with via EA so that when solicitor gets back we can push on towards contracts etc.
    Chase outcomes of both surveys as no news yet and add that into mix to greet solicitor back with.
    Investigate good value flood risk insurance for one we're buying (assuming no surprises arising from survey report).
    And cheer myself up by accepting the quote from jolly removals guys who moved us last time and also by getting a few boxes off them so I can pack and plan (when I'm not working or doing the above)!

All the best for a winning week ahead for everyone! PN x
    Last edited by PlaysNicely; 10-10-2016 at 8:00 AM. Reason: Ineptitude
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 10th Oct 16, 9:41 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    Not logged in for a few days but just had a quick skim read and sorry to hear so many of you are still having issues.

I spoke to my solicitor on Friday and they basically told me not to listen to the EA dealing with their purchase as they're misinforming us. Turns out the mortgage query on our vendors onward sale was sorted ages ago and they are now only waiting for confirmation of buildings insurance before they can exchange!!

I've said before I had a feeling they didn't really want to exchange before they were back from their holidays (even though they agreed to) and whether coincidence or not, it looks like that's what's going to happen.

Insurance confirmation should have been send Friday or today and were told by solicitors we should be exchanging no later than Tuesday.

Here's hoping!
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 10th Oct 16, 9:56 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    Not logged in for a few days but just had a quick skim read and sorry to hear so many of you are still having issues.

I spoke to my solicitor on Friday and they basically told me not to listen to the EA dealing with their purchase as they're misinforming us. Turns out the mortgage query on our vendors onward sale was sorted ages ago and they are now only waiting for confirmation of buildings insurance before they can exchange!!

I've said before I had a feeling they didn't really want to exchange before they were back from their holidays (even though they agreed to) and whether coincidence or not, it looks like that's what's going to happen.

Insurance confirmation should have been send Friday or today and were told by solicitors we should be exchanging no later than Tuesday.

Here's hoping!
    Originally posted by mattk_180

Insurance companies keep telling me I can't get an insurance quote till I own the property. Am I asking for the wrong thing? I need insurance for the house on exchange but I won't 'own' it till 31st???
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 10th Oct 16, 10:01 AM
    • 3,717 Posts
    • 2,575 Thanks
    glentoran99
    Strange, just do it online that's all I did
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 10th Oct 16, 10:08 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    mattk_180
    Levs01 - sounds like the company you are dealing with don't know what they are talking about. You are legally responsible for the house and therefore have financial interest from the point of exchange, hence the need for insurance. I thought all insurance companies would know this as I'm sure pretty much everyone gets their house insurance at exchange?

I would query it again or do what glen said and look online. That's what I did with mine and some comparison sites actually ask what date you are moving in and arrange for correspondence to be sent to your current address until that date.
    • Levs01
    • By Levs01 10th Oct 16, 12:17 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    Levs01
    I think I will. I've just taken out new insurance in my currently place, have to cos of existing mortgage but pain for timing. I am however in the 14 day cooling off period so I can cancel if we exchange this week. Our vendors are signing this week our buyers have signed just the bottom of the chain to get done this week and we exchange! I think my default feeling this week will be slightly nauseated lol
    • lifeofunmumsy
    • By lifeofunmumsy 10th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    lifeofunmumsy
    Hi everyone

Just logged in to see how people are doing - I've been too down to log in much the past week.

BB - can't believe your sellers are behaving like that, I just can't understand why people don't see what a big emotional deal moving house is.

No update on mine - today was supposed to be our moving date but instead we're now 10 days in to silence from our buyers who are still deciding whether they want to buy our house anymore because of the high speed rail plans. Husband turned 30 on Saturday but it was a bitter sweet day as we thought we'd have heard either way on Friday but faced yet another weekend of silence.

It's crazy but I feel worse for the people we are buying off as I haven't been able to confirm what's happening yet as don't have a clue - I keep picturing they have packed up ready to go and we're sat here not knowing if we will be able to move anymore!. I'm so glad we didn't pack up any of our house though.

It's strange though, because we were so ready to move to start a family and then my sister who is younger has just announced she's pregnant - iys been a tough weekend going from thinking we'd be starting fresh today in a new house to now facing into learning to love our little house all over again.

Did anyone else fall out of love with their current house during selling? I need to get out of this funk and get on with it!

We were hoping to have heard either way by last Friday as we planned to take a holiday this week so as not to be sat around dwelling on not moving but with us still not knowing either way, we don't dare spend the money.

I really hope everyone else's moves are progressing well - for now, we continue to sit and wait!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,119Posts Today

5,457Users online

Martin's Twitter