Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barrowvian
    • By barrowvian 31st Mar 14, 8:43 AM
    • 61Posts
    • 9Thanks
    barrowvian
    Nuaire Drimaster location
    • 31st Mar 14, 8:43 AM
    Nuaire Drimaster location 31st Mar 14 at 8:43 AM
    Hi,

After reading a lot of promising reviews I have decided to purchase a Nuaire Drimaster PVI unit.

I live in a 2 bedroom semi. We have relatively high humidity 40%-60% throughout the day depending on the weather and usually up as high as 85% overnight. The high humidity only occurs in our bedroom, the rest of the house stays at the low-mid 60's. The bedroom with the high humidity suffers from bad condensation on the windows, especially on cold night. We also get a bit of mildew forming on the outside wall at the top. We have a built in wardrobe in the corner sharing part of the north facing wall; this has a dark patch in the corner of mold/mildew.

The other rooms in the house don't get any mildew/mold problems.

We generally sleep with the bedroom door closed.

Everything I have read points to installing the PIV Unit in the hallway. However, seeing as the humidity problem is in the bedroom/built in wardrobe would it be worth installing it there instead?

I'm just looking for a bit of advise really so any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
Page 5
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 20th Mar 15, 5:33 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    richardc1983
    thanks Richard, appreciate your responses.

Would I be right in thinking that the 6 setting would create a noticeable 'draft' or 'breeze' effect around the diffuser? I presume it needs to be more forceful to enable it to circulate air to such a wide area.
    Originally posted by Graeme007
    If just updated and put a detailed post above. You wouldn't need speed 6 I don't doubt unless you dry washing all over radiators indoors, don't cook with pan lids on, kitchen cooker hood just recirculates rather than outdoors. I've just had mine on speed 6 for a week it made the bathroom cold. Downstairs was fine as the heating just stayed on longer. I've put it back down to 3 (reccomended is 2). Speed setting 6 is for 6 bedroom house or very very large houses so it assumes that you wouldn't feel the draught as much due to the size of the hallway etc.
    If you found my post helpful, please remember to press the THANKS button! --->
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 20th Mar 15, 5:39 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    richardc1983
    sorry dampdaveski, just saw your post.
    appreciate your input.

Yes we do need to get a decent showroom extractor, kitchen has one already.

Yes Richard there is a radiator in the 'middle hall'...and thanks for working all that out...wouldn't have known where to start! so setting 4 would be fine.
    Radiator is spot on my landing doesn't have a radiator and I like a warm house but it's not s problem as there is a radiator at the bottom of the stairs. Try to mount the drimaster air diffuser near to this radiator so it helps to heat the incoming fresh filtered air. The heater version takes the chill off the air that is all its intention is. It does not change the performance of the unit. Say the loft is at 3c the heater will increase the temperature of that air by 10c maximum whatever you set the set point to, it's only a small 500w pulse heater and not designed to provide heat into the house.

Once installed set to maximum speed for 1-2 weeks to give it a head start. A bit like opening all your windows in a spring day, yes it will be draughty in that period but once you start seeing the benefits it provides you will be able to turn it down to 3/4 whatever your choice may be.

Setting it on the suggested speed straight away just means it takes longer to get the same results but you will notice the freshness and cleanness of the air within hours.
    Last edited by richardc1983; 20-03-2015 at 5:42 PM.
  • Graeme007
    thanks both, lots of very useful info to digest there...

btw where's the thank you button?
    • pd001
    • By pd001 21st Mar 15, 10:45 AM
    • 860 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    pd001
    thanks both, lots of very useful info to digest there...

btw where's the thank you button?
    Its at the bottom of each post, right next to the 'quote' button
  • arrtex
    so as i said I would let you all know when I install the drimaster. Unfortunately it took me bit longer, surgery and recovery ..., anyway I did install it 2 weeks ago and I can confirm that the humidity did go down. prior to installing drimaster I had humidity in the hall between 68-75 depending on day (if it was raining for few days it was higher) now on rainy day it is down to 60 and on dry days it goes to 55. I have it set to speed 4 and didn't connect the heating element yet. Overall I am happy with my purchase and would recommend it.
    • joshly
    • By joshly 9th Feb 17, 8:23 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    joshly
    I had terrible condensation on all my windows and mould around the windows and some skirting boards.
    Lived here for 2 years in this 2 bed bungalow.

9 days ago I had the dri-eco heat HC installed.
    I have had no condensation for the last 8 days and it has been on flow rate setting 2, the humidity level has been dropping every day from mid 60's and today it was down to about 46%.

I don't think it is necessary to go for a lower humidity level so I have turned the flow rate down to 1.

The 400 watt heater is not activated on setting 1 but I have not been using it anyway. I had the set point at the lowest setting.

I will see how it does on setting 1 for a while. I think it only used 1.6 watts on setting 1.
    • alejamruc
    • By alejamruc 14th Feb 17, 1:28 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    alejamruc
    We installed the Drimaster Eco Heat above our landing and the results have been far beyond expectations.

We've also figured out how to target its effects on problem areas when needed.

Since installing, all rooms clear of condensation and black mould problems (including a problem area furthest away from the unit where there is a cold external wall with poor air circulation behind a piece of furniture).

Bootom line - install it in your hallways as per Nuaire's recommendations, because:

1) The clean air will find it's way from the vent to other areas in the house. It vents the whole house effectively, so there is no real need to put it where the problem is worse.
    Your bedroom is probably a problem area due either to the walls being colder than others or there being poorer air circulation (for example behind furniture). The Drimaster forces moisture-laden air out of the property, so it doesn't get the chance to settle at these problem areas in the first place.

2) As people have mentioned, there is a background noise to it, which is greater at higher fan speeds. We don't hear any mechanical hum or vibration, but we can hear the flow of air from the vent. You can only hear it when near the vent, so it isn't audible in other rooms

3) We got the Eco Heat version (can't say whether this is worth it, as I don't have experience during winter with the standard Eco model), but you can still notice a slightly cool breeze when you're in the vicinity of the vent. In the hallway this doesn't disturb you, and it mixes with the rest of the house's air when you step away from the vent, but it probably be a bit of a chill when getting dressed on a winter's morning if it's in your bedroom!

As for attacking problem areas, get your head around the physics of these things and it's simple. The air will naturally try and take the path of least resistance. So, you can create the environment to channel more ventilation to where you want it.

For example, when having a hot bath we:
    - put the unit on 'boost' which maxes the fan speed (increases pressure in the house)
    - turn on the bathroom extractor fan to suck air out of that room (decreases pressure in that room)
    - leave the bathroom door open and close all others (creates a path of least resistance towards the bathroom)

Doing that channels the clean air towards the bathroom and puts more effort into forcing moisture out of it. It means our bathroom mirror now does not even steam up during a long hot bath, whereas our walls would be dripping wet with condensation before and pooling on the floor. If you don't want to leave the door open during a bath, just do the above once you're finished and it clears moisture out in no time.

Similarly, if your bedroom and it's wardrobes are a problem - during the day, leave the wardrobe and bedroom doors open to encourage more circulation in that direction.

However, as someone else said, I suspect your mould problems throughout the property will get solved without any clever strategies. Install the unit, clean the mould off (ideally will some anti-mould spray), and mould probably won't return as the excess moisture should hopefully no longer be an issue, meaning condensation won't form and allow mould growth.

That's my little life-hack for these units. Hope it helps
    • joshly
    • By joshly 15th Feb 17, 7:39 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    joshly
    What size house do you live in and what fan speed setting is the eco heat on?

Regarding targeting a specific room, I close all the doors for a couple of hours each day except the room that is most likely to grow mould and get condensation on the windows.

On setting 2 I did not hear any noise or feel any vibration at all.
    • alejamruc
    • By alejamruc 15th Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    alejamruc
    We have a 2 bed victorian terrace with two reception rooms, a kitchen and a bathroom.

We have the eco heat fan speed set to a possible 4 out of 6 (we just played with the speed until it was enough to sort our problems, but not higher than needed).

I imagine you'd hear practically nothing at speed 2. At 4 we just hear a gentle air flow sound when you're near it, like someone gently blowing out of their mouth. Hard to explain.

When set to 6 out of 6 this blowing sound is slightly louder, but again can't be heard when you're elsewhere in the house. If you compare it to the sound that an extractor fan makes it is practically silent!

Overall, no noises that are disturbing/frustrating.
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 15th Feb 17, 10:40 AM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    richardc1983
    You hear no mechanical noise at all the noise is just the movement of air through the diffuser, obviously the faster the fan is the more air that is moving through the diffuser. I think its quite a soothing sound TBH.
    • joshly
    • By joshly 9th Mar 17, 7:35 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    joshly
    I have had the dri-eco heat HC running for over 5 weeks now on flow rate 2.
    I am pleased with the results so far.

Because it has been cold I have not had the windows open.
    Now as the outside temperature warms up I would normally open the lounge and bedroom windows occasionally during the day.

Is it OK to do that or should I keep the windows closed and let the drimaster carry on as it is?
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 9th Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    richardc1983
    The warmer it gets I turn the speed up so more fresh air into the house!
    • joshly
    • By joshly 20th Mar 17, 1:32 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    joshly
    For the end of January and all of February I had it on speed setting 2 and had no condensation on the windows, humidity was around 55-60% which is my goal. I have a small detached 2 bed bungalow.

I have raised the speed setting to 3 as I have noticed the humidity level rising over the last 10 days and now it is 68% and rising, outside temperature 14 degrees. Still no condensation but even before installing the PIV condensation stopped around Spring.

Before I had the PIV in the summer I used to get white mould growing on my furniture, I don't know if the fresh air circulating will prevent that despite the humidity level or if I need to somehow reduce the humidity to under 60%.

I am assuming the more humid air coming into the loft via the soffit vents is being pumped into the bungalow raising inside humidity.
    • richardc1983
    • By richardc1983 20th Mar 17, 2:16 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    richardc1983
    The key is fresh air. As long as the air is being replaced and diluted you won't get damp on items or walls. 68% isn't bad at all. As long as it's fresh air you will be fine keep the air moving like you are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,088Posts Today

8,230Users online

Martin's Twitter