IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Holiday Ideas for Single Dad+son
Closed Thread
Views: 3,392
# 1
WOW Factor 0
mutley74
Old 04-07-2007, 7:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Holiday Ideas for Single Dad+son

It’s not long to the school summer holidays!

As a single father to an almost 6 year old boy…I would like to take him away somewhere even for just 2-3 nights min break.

I would like some ideas of places to stay preferably no more than 2 hours drive from Newcastle. Somewhere that has facilities for kids with play areas and many places to eat.

I will welcome any suggestions for short overseas breaks to places such as Euro-Disney, which I would love to do later in the year or next year when he is bigger.

Don’t think I am up to the challenge of going alone with my son abroad yet.
# 2
angel
Old 04-07-2007, 7:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

A short break at Disneyland Paris would be perfect. Six is a great age for a trip there and you'd both enjoy it equally.

Have fun whatever you decide!
"here, hare, here"
The Following User Says Thank You to angel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
susieb1967
Old 04-07-2007, 9:18 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Go camping!! Even if you drive 10 mins down the road, he wont care!! He'd love it!! definately a good one for lads and dads! Ask your friends and relations for a lend of the gear, B4 we started buying things for camping, I borrowed it all- its amazing what people have stashed in their lofts/garages!
Search the internet for sites and reviews. UKcampsites.co.uk is a gd site
The Following User Says Thank You to susieb1967 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
john.xs
Old 04-07-2007, 9:45 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

buy a quechua 3 sec air tent which you can put up real quick and take him camping for weekend you can buy one from decathlon for about £60.would imagine you could get to scarborough/yorks/lakes/blackpool/ayr/galloway in 2hrs
if he likes amusement parks book a campsite in the vicinity.uk tent and camping site is great to peruse campsites.

alternatively there is alton towers hotel . not sure if it is too far/ pricey
if you stay there they have splash landings on site and also theme park itself. you would not be too far from cadbury world

what about beamish?
# 5
curtlyb
Old 04-07-2007, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Camping with days out to Beamish & Diggerland (brill)
The Following User Says Thank You to curtlyb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
dianadors
Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I agree with the Camping theory. He will love it. I you camp in North Yorkshire (loads of great sites on www.ukcampsites.co.uk ) you could visit tThe Forbidden corner - its like being on the set of Harry Potter!! http://www.yorkshirenet.co.uk/theforbiddencorner/ Kids absolutely love it. And its not far for you to travel either. You could look for a site with a good kids play area too.
The Following User Says Thank You to dianadors For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
bargain-lil
Old 04-07-2007, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The family active camps that PGL run are fantastic - there are a few sites in the Uk that I guess would be no longer than a couple of hours drive for you. All food is included and there are no supplements for single parents to pay. Activities include abseiling, zip wire, climbing, archery etc in a very safe environment. We went to the one in Paris at Easter and in the price was also a days ticket for eurodisney which was about 20 mins drive away - the accomodation is fairly basic but clean and warm & probably more comfortable than a tent!

hth

lil
x
The Following User Says Thank You to bargain-lil For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
angie_baby
Old 04-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpug View Post
It’s not long to the school summer holidays!

As a single father to an almost 6 year old boy…I would like to take him away somewhere even for just 2-3 nights min break.

I would like some ideas of places to stay preferably no more than 2 hours drive from Newcastle. Somewhere that has facilities for kids with play areas and many places to eat.

I will welcome any suggestions for short overseas breaks to places such as Euro-Disney, which I would love to do later in the year or next year when he is bigger.

Don’t think I am up to the challenge of going alone with my son abroad yet.

I thought that to at the beginning of the year, but went to Spain just me and my boy (5). It was excellent, ok the evenings were a bit quiet once he was in bed but it was lovley to spend so much time with him. And we chatted to loads of people, Joe learnt a bit of spanish, was even speaking to the local police. Its amazing when there is just two of you, people start talking to you.

Camping is also a great idea, we are going in August - as long as it doesnt chuck it down for a week.

Whatever you do have fun!!
The Following User Says Thank You to angie_baby For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
BernadetteN
Old 04-07-2007, 1:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Take the ferry to Amsterdam and go to Duinrell, about an hour's drive from the ferry port. This place is a campsite, amusement park and water park all in one. Or if it's cheaper to go as a foot passenger on the ferry, leave the car at home. Public transport in Holland means the car is just not necessary for most places. You can even camp at Duinrell, but otherwise a 4 person "duingalow" would probably work out cheaper than mobiles on this site from the likes of Eurocamp. Once your son reaches 1.4 metres, he can go on all the scary slides inside the waterpark.

www.duinrell.nl
The Following User Says Thank You to BernadetteN For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mutley74
Old 04-07-2007, 1:19 PM

Cool

Thanks for the ideas.
Camping certainly does sound like fun, but not practical for us, as my son has some health conditions so thus prefer hotels/B&Bs until he is older.

Beamish - too close to us, that’s only 30mins drive from us now. Seek something around 1.5hrs drive+.

Preferably a place located in nice tranquil beauty scenery…..

thanks
# 11
BernadetteN
Old 04-07-2007, 1:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlyb View Post
Camping with days out to Beamish & Diggerland (brill)
Or there's always Durham Youth Hostel (aka St Chad's college of Durham University) which is very near to Beamish and Diggerland. They have 2 person rooms there too.
http://www.yha.org.uk/find-accommoda...ctivities.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to BernadetteN For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
BernadetteN
Old 04-07-2007, 1:27 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

When I was little I loved going to Lightwater valley. Perhaps the north Yorkshire Moors would be better then and you could also take in York and the railway museum.
# 13
Prudent
Old 04-07-2007, 1:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The Northumberland coast is lovely. I went there at the start of May with my daughter and found plenty to do and visit. We stayed at Berwick (fab old fashioned sweet shop there). Large caravan sites like Haggertson castle can offer a range of caravans from basic to ones that have more luxuries than home. I work children with significant health difficulties and would say sites like Haggerston are ok. I liked the open spaces in the area, especially the long, empty sandy beaches. Lots of boats trips too. We went horse riding along a beach - lovely. Plenty of things like bike hire. Harry Potter location at Alnwick castle.

I have done hols on my own with my daughter for 5 years now. The evenings were hard at first, but the days fun. Lots of lovely memories of simple things like collecting shells on the beach and seeing a kingfisher.

Last edited by Prudent; 04-07-2007 at 1:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prudent For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
young
Old 17-07-2007, 9:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Agree! A short break at Disneyland Paris would be perfect. Six is a great age for a trip there and you'd both enjoy it equally.

Under 7 stay and eat for FREE this year at Disneyland as its their 15th anniversary.

Get it booked! ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to young For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
mutley74
Old 18-07-2007, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young View Post
Agree! A short break at Disneyland Paris would be perfect. Six is a great age for a trip there and you'd both enjoy it equally.

Under 7 stay and eat for FREE this year at Disneyland as its their 15th anniversary.

Get it booked! ;-)
THANKS
Thats a great idea i will consider that for later in the year after he has got his passport renewed.

I looked at haggerston castle website but min stay is 4 nights. really just want something for 2nights. If anyone can recommend any decent hotels around Northumberland (north side) that is geared up for families and kids. Preferably in its own grounds.

thanks again
# 16
mobilecat
Old 18-07-2007, 9:33 AM
MoneySaving Convert

What about Butlins. Before we had our son we used to like posh holidays but after taking him abroad last year - never again. Butlins is extremely family orientated and has everything you could need for a 6 year old and so much more. If you are nervous about somewhere like that then dont be - as long as you stay in Silver accomodataion its very very good. the only thing is its a little far to Skegness from you but perhaps you could stop somewhere as a day treat on route?

Any Butlins questions dont hesitate to ask as we have been a lot with our little one. The only stress free holiday available - although we are camping this year
The Following User Says Thank You to mobilecat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
mobilecat
Old 18-07-2007, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by atpug View Post
Thanks for the ideas.
Camping certainly does sound like fun, but not practical for us, as my son has some health conditions so thus prefer hotels/B&Bs until he is older.

Beamish - too close to us, that’s only 30mins drive from us now. Seek something around 1.5hrs drive+.

Preferably a place located in nice tranquil beauty scenery…..

thanks
Would a caraavan be a comprimise to far?
# 18
mutley74
Old 18-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Hi
i have looked at Haggerston castle website and dont mind a caravan (as long as its been pet& smoke free - allergies). But one can book min 4nights and it seems a bit pricey to pay around £400 (approx price for decent standard) just for 2 us. hence rather consider a hotel.
Closed Thread