Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 26th Mar 14, 1:50 PM
    • 4,462Posts
    • 42,403Thanks
    mcculloch29
    0 WOW
    Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?
    • 26th Mar 14, 1:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys? 26th Mar 14 at 1:50 PM
    I am lucky enough to have a branch of Heron Foods in my town. It's a discount freezer chain, similar to Farmfoods (but a bit better in my opinion). It stocks heavily discounted brand names and unbranded foods at rock bottom prices.

In the spirit of the 'Good/Bad Buys at Aldi/Lidl' thread, I thought I'd start a thread focusing on these stores, so that we can share news of good buys.

Hopefully keeping it positive, with not too many posts saying you wouldn't be seen dead shopping there...

In Heron in particular, the special offers on brand names come and go in a twinkling, but there are some constants.

I really like their frozen lambs' liver at 450g for £1. It's too small to fry in pieces but is brilliant for faggots, liver pate and for casseroles.

The cooking bacon is often very salty but also often has huge chunks of gammon in - brilliant for pies, quiches, casseroles, faggots (again!) and pizzas.
    Oxo cubes are the cheapest I have seen anywhere at £1 for 18, and they often have Vimto cordial - both regular and sugar-free - at £1.

I could go on and on but does anyone else have some good buys to share from these stores? (Or advice on what to avoid? Hopefully there won't be too many of those items. )
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Page 13
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 6th Apr 17, 2:38 AM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 42,403 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Just a quickie - if you have signed up to the Heron Foods email, check your inbox for a Happy Easter email - it has a link to a £1 off a £10 spend printable voucher. Expiry date 20th April, and you can print more than one voucher, so if you have multi-spends coming up, you can save a few quid.
    If you sign up for offers you will also receive a voucher.
    Link to sign up page for email offers: http://www.heronfoods.com/signup
    Last edited by mcculloch29; 06-04-2017 at 2:40 AM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • geordielass
    • By geordielass 8th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 827 Thanks
    geordielass
    Dr Oetker Ristorante large pepperoni pizza £1.25
    Oykos pack of four salted caramel yogurts 75p
    Big bite tubs of ice cream, caramel sauce, strawberry sauce and choc chip, two for £1.
    Three boxes of Wrigleys extra white chewing gum for £1. Think the cartons have something like 50 in them and they are over £1 so these are great value.
    He who smiles rather than rages is always
    the stronger
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 19th Apr 17, 3:18 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 42,403 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Heron Foods Bargains, spotted 18.04.17
    My local Heron in County Durham had the following:

Frozen

Pink and black Magnums 2 packs for £2

'Snog' frozen yogurt 450ml 2 for £1, or 59p each

Ben and Jerry's frozen Greek yogurt 500ml? 99p

In the XSell freezer chicken nuggets were back -£1.99?

Aviko diced herby potatoes 500g 85p

Weight Watchers frozen meals, large selection £1

Large Aunt Bessie's Toad in the Hole £1

Frozen sweet potato mash - £1.25 (not sure of price)

Chilled

Jus Rol 500g blocks of puff / shortcrust pastry 3 for £1 or 39p each

Jus Rol rolls of gluten free puff pastry 340g? 3 for £1 39p each
    (The above freeze well.)
    Good selection Primula tubes squeezy cheese 89p

Bacon Smoked/Unsmoked 6 rashers back, 99p or 2 for £1.75

'Cooking' bacon 907g £1.00 (2 for £1.49 offer seems to have ended)
    (Freezes well)
    Bratwurst sausage mis-shapes 250g 69p

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Light 500g 69p 2 for £1.00

Activia Blueberry and Cherry yogurts 125g 4 for 59p

Liberte pouch yogurts (blueberry) 130g 39p each

Liberte Greek style layered strawb. yogurts 100g 4 for 59p

Grated hard Italian cheese 80g 89p

New Covent Garden Skinny Soups 59p each 2 for £1
    (Freeze well)

Dry goods
    Roses Lemon & Lime Marmalade 454g 89p

Mc Vities Tasties biscuit bar 29p (Tried this, not very impressed, tbh. Biscuit is very dry, filling oversweet)

Small boxes Terry's All Gold, Dark and Milk £1.49

1.5kg Allison's flours (strong, plain & SR) 89p

Maryland Gooeys cookies 2 packs for £1

Handy packs Wrigley's Extra Peppermint chewing gum 29g 39p

Usual wide range of canned fizzy drinks 3 for £1, indiv. prices vary slightly. Most are not sugar-free, exceptions are s-f Irn Bru and Vimto.

Nicky toilet rolls 16 for £2.99
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 22nd Apr 17, 10:20 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 42,403 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I had the 6 rashers for 99p / 12 for £1.75 Oakpark back bacon from Heron Foods today.
    What isn't marked clearly on the pack is that it is Irish bacon, it's absolutely delicious. Very little shrinkage and unlike some Irish bacon, not too salty.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,943Posts Today

8,789Users online

Martin's Twitter