Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 26th Mar 14, 1:50 PM
    • 4,068Posts
    • 39,296Thanks
    mcculloch29
    0 WOW
    Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?
    • 26th Mar 14, 1:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys? 26th Mar 14 at 1:50 PM
    I am lucky enough to have a branch of Heron Foods in my town. It's a discount freezer chain, similar to Farmfoods (but a bit better in my opinion). It stocks heavily discounted brand names and unbranded foods at rock bottom prices.

In the spirit of the 'Good/Bad Buys at Aldi/Lidl' thread, I thought I'd start a thread focusing on these stores, so that we can share news of good buys.

Hopefully keeping it positive, with not too many posts saying you wouldn't be seen dead shopping there...

In Heron in particular, the special offers on brand names come and go in a twinkling, but there are some constants.

I really like their frozen lambs' liver at 450g for £1. It's too small to fry in pieces but is brilliant for faggots, liver pate and for casseroles.

The cooking bacon is often very salty but also often has huge chunks of gammon in - brilliant for pies, quiches, casseroles, faggots (again!) and pizzas.
    Oxo cubes are the cheapest I have seen anywhere at £1 for 18, and they often have Vimto cordial - both regular and sugar-free - at £1.

I could go on and on but does anyone else have some good buys to share from these stores? (Or advice on what to avoid? Hopefully there won't be too many of those items. )
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
Page 10
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 3rd Aug 16, 2:30 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 31,492 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Two spots today in H3ron F00ds;

- President Petit Brie (the round one in a wooden box) 500g size for only £1.49!

- Magnum icecreams x 8 - either 'Classic' or 'Mania' (2 x double caramel, 2 x classic, 2 x white choc and 2 x almond) an absolute steal at £2.49! Making them 31p each

A box of 'Mania' may have slipped into my trolley

Enjoy

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Aug 16, 6:19 PM
    • 14,616 Posts
    • 86,498 Thanks
    maman
    I thought I'd post in case Farmfoods keep a check on the thread.

When I was in there today a customer came over to the checkout and asked for the price of various fruit and veg. The cashier apologised explained that they hadn't had time to label them up properly.

I asked him why and he said that they were very sort staffed because people had left because they were disillusioned. He said that Farmfoods keep cutting their hours but at the same time expecting them to do more.

That doesn't sound like a good employer.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 5th Aug 16, 7:18 PM
    • 27,181 Posts
    • 17,252 Thanks
    DCFC79

When I was in there today a customer came over to the checkout and asked for the price of various fruit and veg. The cashier apologised explained that they hadn't had time to label them up properly.

I asked him why and he said that they were very sort staffed because people had left because they were disillusioned. He said that Farmfoods keep cutting their hours but at the same time expecting them to do more.

Originally posted by maman
    Could be just that 1 store.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Aug 16, 8:57 PM
    • 14,616 Posts
    • 86,498 Thanks
    maman
    Could be just that 1 store.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    You're probably right about the staff leaving but I'd have thought the worsening of conditions would be company policy.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 5th Aug 16, 9:39 PM
    • 5,112 Posts
    • 9,764 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Yesterday, I heard a colleague of Farmfoods started at 5am and this was 2:35pm.

It's not like the deliveries are done before the shop opens.
    Rejoined Slimming World 28/7/16
    Lost 2st 2lb first time Need to lose that again
    Lost 10lb 1st 6lb to go
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 12th Aug 16, 4:59 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 31,492 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Bought in Heron foods today;

14 x 25g bags of Walkers crisps for £1.29. Cheese and Onion flavour (don't know if it is only C&O - was only flavour on offer in our branch). Making them 9p a bag. OK, so 25g bags aren't huge, but ok for pack ups and picnics (assuming you like C&O flavour )

Greying x
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Aug 16, 5:41 PM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    LeeUK

Probably because he wasn't an octopus. I've worked in retail and one thing that annoyed me was customers getting all self centered. Especially when you're busy and short staffed.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
    • PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 13th Aug 16, 9:20 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    PLRFD
    So it's self centred to expect prices on products is it ?
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Aug 16, 11:33 AM
    • 14,616 Posts
    • 86,498 Thanks
    maman
    Probably because he wasn't an octopus. I've worked in retail and one thing that annoyed me was customers getting all self centered. Especially when you're busy and short staffed.
    Originally posted by LeeUK

Surely customers can expect good service from a service industry??

The conversation I had with him was friendly and sympathetic but that's not really the point. He should be discussing his (justified) gripes about poor conditions of service with his employer not moaning to customers about it. That's not very professional.

In recent weeks I've had a very similar conversation (people leaving not replaced, short of staff etc. leading to poor customer service) in John Lewis, Santander and a department store. In all three cases I wanted to part with money but they were too busy to help me.
    • ps2659
    • By ps2659 13th Aug 16, 11:39 AM
    • 454 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    ps2659
    Birds Eye Petit pois cheap at Heron
    Birds Eye Petit Pois - 1.07Kg in Heron £1.49
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 15th Aug 16, 8:59 AM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 39,296 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    I also spotted the Petit Pois in Heron - in my store they were in the super duper bargain freezer along with

4 Magnums (smallish ones) @ £1.49. Double Choc and Peanut Butter

750ml Bofrost Italian Lemon Sorbet @ 69p

Also spotted or bought:
    Chiller:

Jus Rol Shortcrust 3 for £1. (No puff, sadly)

Flora Pro Active Light 350g (40% free) 89p

President Brie 500g as mentioned by Greying Pilgrim £1.49

Muller Corner 4 pack (strawberry/digestive) 89p

Activia Forest Fruits 4 pack 59p

Freezer:
    Xsell Salmon Fish Fingers 700g for £1 (I haven't eaten fish fingers this century, but what the heck, I shall pretend they are goujons. In my defence, I was a registered childminder for 15 years and ate goodness knows how many leftover ones. Hundreds, probably.)

Xsell Luxury Fish Cakes 600g for £1.25. Can't remember what variety these are, but they are always very nice.

Xsell Vegetarian Mushroom Risotto rissoles - think these were £1.

Ben and Jerry's 500g for £1.49

Edit: The bottom of my Heron receipt says 'All 2 ltr milk now only 87p!'
    Last edited by mcculloch29; 15-08-2016 at 9:03 AM.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 15th Aug 16, 11:42 AM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Surely customers can expect good service from a service industry??

The conversation I had with him was friendly and sympathetic but that's not really the point. He should be discussing his (justified) gripes about poor conditions of service with his employer not moaning to customers about it. That's not very professional.

In recent weeks I've had a very similar conversation (people leaving not replaced, short of staff etc. leading to poor customer service) in John Lewis, Santander and a department store. In all three cases I wanted to part with money but they were too busy to help me.
    It's like that everywhere at the moment I'm afraid and it it's only going to get worse. As staff leave they are not being replaced, along with overtime bans etc. All this coming from the top not at store level.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Aug 16, 5:20 PM
    • 14,616 Posts
    • 86,498 Thanks
    maman
    It's like that everywhere at the moment I'm afraid and it it's only going to get worse. As staff leave they are not being replaced, along with overtime bans etc. All this coming from the top not at store level.
    Originally posted by LeeUK

Sadly I know you're right.

I was at an event yesterday where they knew there's be a large crowd (pre-booked) and they had just one person serving behind the bar and she also had to double up and clear tables and keep the hog roast supplied with plates and salads from the kitchen. Short term result long queues. Longer term result, we probably won't go there again in a hurry.

Compare that with an independent restaurant I went to on Saturday where they had plenty of well trained staff which made for a super experience.

I'm willing to pay for good customer service. Am I unusual?
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 22nd Sep 16, 5:28 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 31,492 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Spotted in Heron today, in the 'this week's special offers' chiller cabinet at the front of the store;

Oxo stock pot stocks (8 tubs per pack) 3 packs for £1 - I got the vegetable ones, I think the others were beef (I'm veggie, so didn't really register it - soz meat eaters!) BBE 10/2016 - gluten free. Perfect as we're coming into soup 'season'

* EDIT: the other stockpots were beef - I checked today. Unfortunately already sold out in our store........ *

And cheese;

CathEdral City Mature or Extra Mature 350g pack for £1.89
    CathEdral City Mature 'Light' 550g pack for £2.49

HTH someone

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 23-09-2016 at 2:47 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• PLRFD
    • By PLRFD 23rd Sep 16, 8:12 AM
    • 491 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    PLRFD
    I went in yesterday noticed thy had Ben and Jerrys cookie dough ice cream but no recall notice like other places,the recall was may contain small pieces of metal.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 23rd Sep 16, 2:51 PM
    • 2,877 Posts
    • 31,492 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    I went in yesterday noticed thy had Ben and Jerrys cookie dough ice cream but no recall notice like other places,the recall was may contain small pieces of metal.
    Originally posted by PLRFD

The actual batch numbers that were involved in the product recall are listed HERE. Probably wise to check your batch number if you have any B&J cookie dough ice-cream languishing in your freezer - irrespective of where you purchased it.

I decided to support the Cornish economy instead - £1 for a 1 litre tub, BBE May 2017. The offer has already been on for a week, so not all of the flavours; blackcurrant, salted caramel, raspberry and strawberry may be still available.

Greying X
    Last edited by Greying Pilgrim; 23-09-2016 at 3:06 PM.
    'Ich habe genug'

• williacg
    • By williacg 25th Sep 16, 8:55 AM
    • 628 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    williacg
    The actual batch numbers that were involved in the product recall are listed HERE. Probably wise to check your batch number if you have any B&J cookie dough ice-cream languishing in your freezer - irrespective of where you purchased it.

I decided to support the Cornish economy instead - £1 for a 1 litre tub, BBE May 2017. The offer has already been on for a week, so not all of the flavours; blackcurrant, salted caramel, raspberry and strawberry may be still available.

Greying X
    Originally posted by Greying Pilgrim
    My absolute favourite ice cream, bought 2 tubs, the strawberry and raspberry - great price, I usually have to pay £3.98.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

1,715Users online

Martin's Twitter