Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 142
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 11th Aug 16, 1:00 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    footyguy
    The Ombudsman upheld my complaint that EE had not applied the Back Billing Code to my final account.

I left EE in March 2015 and it took them 11 months and 15 days to issue a final bill for energy usage dating back to September 2014.

Just 4 days to go now before EE exceed the 28 days the Ombudsman has given them to refund the overpayment on the account and a further £75 as a gesture of goodwill. Expect I will be looking to the County Court for redress now that I have the Ombudsman's judgement.
    Originally posted by Flashgordon
    Why would you go to the time, effort & expense of the legal action when you already have the ombudsman on your side?

If you have accepted the ombudsman's proposed resolution, the supplier is obligated to do what was proposed. If they don't, contact your case handler.

If you commence legal action against the supplier, the ombudsman will wash their hands of the complaint and refuse to assist you further in regards that complaint. The supplier will probably defend any court action you bring on the basis you have already settled out of court in full and final settlement of the complaint. On that basis, the court will probably find your claim as vexatious.
    Last edited by footyguy; 11-08-2016 at 1:05 AM.
    • chippy65old
    • By chippy65old 15th Aug 16, 12:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chippy65old
    I switched via Martin's Energy Savings Club in November 2015 with a Direct Debit of £72 pm. I received a bill in Feb 2016 and was marginally in debt. The last bill I received in august this year I was £64 in debt but the Direct Debit shot through the roof to £111. After emailing them for an explanation, I did not receive a favourable answer and have since cancelled the Direct Debit after clearing the outstanding debt and are now in the process of looking for an alternative supplier.
    I feel their biggest problem for me is they only send out bills every six months which does not allow you to keep track of usage. Sorry would not recommend ExtraEnergy but that my personal opinion.
    • regis598
    • By regis598 16th Aug 16, 2:22 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    regis598
    There are obviously certain members on this forum who are permitted to say what they like without risk of sanctions.
    • Wayward Son
    • By Wayward Son 16th Aug 16, 4:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Wayward Son
    Terrible disorganised company & DEBT COLLECTORS WARNING!
    I had the misfortune on signing up for Extra Energy in 2014.

Things went badly from the start!

Due to a poor website interface I was unable to supply my opening readings. I tried to send them via their Account messaging system but that too was unreliable & not working. I then emailed them my opening readings, which they auto-acknowledged but then ignored!

They set my account up with made-up readings & sent their fictional, incorrect ones to my old supplier leading to an OVERCHARGE on my final bill, which I then had to dispute to get the refund I was due from my old supplier.

Extra Energy completely IGNORED an email from me complaining about their use of the incorrect readings & asking them to correct their mistake! I then submitted a Formal Complaint about terrible so-called service, which they acknowledged but again totally IGNORED!

I decided it was worth paying the £25 exit fee to leave after a few weeks & get away from such a poorly run, uncaring, ignorant company. I was promised a Final Bill within 6 Weeks of leaving.

6 Weeks passed without them generating my final bill! Then 6 months passed without any bill, (they boldly & clearly PROMISE a Bill every 6 months but when challenged they say there's a clause in the contract that allows them to not honour this). Then a WHOLE YEAR passed, NO BILL! So, understandably I assumed that they would not now produce a bill, (as OFGEM does not allow 'back billing' over a year old!

Imagine my SHOCK, surprise & anger to start receiving harassing emails & lots of phone calls from DEBT COLLECTORS around 20 months later, especially as they had NEVER even sent me a bill! In the Contract it CLEARLY said that Extra Energy would send a letter BEFORE involving Debt Collectors but they admitted on the phone that they don't actually send letters first* & just pass, (sell), it on to Debt Collectors regardless! *They have since removed that promise from their current contract so BEWARE!!!

It transpires that they only produced my first/final bill 13 months later, (I had switched twice in that time), but FAILED to send it to me; the contract I signed promised the Bill would be sent by email but they did not do this they just posted it to my online account which I didn't see because I stopped checking after a WHOLE YEAR had passed!!!

According to my calculations I estimated that I would have owed them just £3-£4 but they are claiming it's £47. After spending ages finding & looking through old emails & bank statements I discovered that they failed to take a £44 Direct Debit payment, which I didn't notice at the time because it was a few days before Christmas & I was very busy. They had no reason for failing to take the payment as there was plenty of money in the account and I had not cancelled the Direct Debit, (all of which I have confirmed with my Bank & Extra Energy simply failed to present the payment due to poor organisation)!

I have made several frustrating phone calls to them & sent a Formal Complaint by recorded delivery, including copies of all the emails I originally sent and a copy of my contract which they have breached. They admit they should not have raised a Bill after 13 months as it is against OFGEM's Back Billing rules but since then they have taken off the first month and generated a NEW BILL 21 MONTHS later!

I now need to submit a new Formal Complaint to dispute the new Bill which I believe is against the Back Billing policy, and am still waiting for a response to my formal complaint about the fact they have breached the contract by setting Debt Collectors, (a very AGRESSIVE & persistent company called Allied International Credit, based in Glasgow), on me without even bothering to send me a bill in the first place, let alone contact me by the promised letter before passing the matter on to Debt Collectors!!!!!

Extra Energy are not only disorganised, chaotic, unhelpful, uncaring, unprofessional & untrustworthy, they are actually also dishonest & underhand as they are happy to blatantly breach the contract, destroy your Credit Rating, set the Debt Collectors on you without notice or warning, and RUIN your life!!!!!

BE WARNED; if you value your Credit Rating, time, mental health & privacy AVOID these slimy, cheating, cowboys LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!! Even if these losers are the cheapest, it is NOT WORTH the hassle; pay a little more and go with a better company - this lot are only dirt cheap because they have NO proper Customer Service & cheap IT which is not up to the job - I'm surprised they haven't been stripped of their Energy Supply Licence yet!

UPDATE: Despite my formal complaint to Extra Energy weeks ago the Debt Collectors are still bombarding me with annoying, harassing phone calls, & my old workplace has even written to me asking me to stop the Debt Collectors harassing THEM, (I no longer work there but the debt collectors won't accept that - well, apparently they say they do but then just call back an hour later - I doubt that will help my reference when I need it)!
    Last edited by Wayward Son; 16-08-2016 at 7:51 PM. Reason: typos
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 16th Aug 16, 8:22 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    footyguy

Due to a poor website interface I was unable to supply my opening readings. I tried to send them via their Account messaging system but that too was unreliable & not working. I then emailed them my opening readings, which they auto-acknowledged but then ignored!

They set my account up with made-up readings & sent their fictional, incorrect ones to my old supplier leading to an OVERCHARGE on my final bill, which I then had to dispute to get the refund I was due from my old supplier.

Extra Energy completely IGNORED an email from me complaining about their use of the incorrect readings & asking them to correct their mistake! I then submitted a Formal Complaint about terrible so-called service, which they acknowledged but again totally IGNORED!

I decided it was worth paying the £25 exit fee to leave after a few weeks & get away from such a poorly run, uncaring, ignorant company. I was promised a Final Bill within 6 Weeks of leaving.

6 Weeks passed without them generating my final bill! Then 6 months passed without any bill, (they boldly & clearly PROMISE a Bill every 6 months but when challenged they say there's a clause in the contract that allows them to not honour this). Then a WHOLE YEAR passed, NO BILL! So, understandably I assumed that they would not now produce a bill, (as OFGEM does not allow 'back billing' over a year old!

Imagine my SHOCK, surprise & anger to start receiving harassing emails & lots of phone calls from DEBT COLLECTORS around 20 months later, especially as they had NEVER even sent me a bill! In the Contract it CLEARLY said that Extra Energy would send a letter BEFORE involving Debt Collectors but they admitted on the phone that they don't actually send letters first* & just pass, (sell), it on to Debt Collectors regardless! *They have since removed that promise from their current contract so BEWARE!!!

It transpires that they only produced my first/final bill 13 months later, (I had switched twice in that time), but FAILED to send it to me; the contract I signed promised the Bill would be sent by email but they did not do this they just posted it to my online account which I didn't see because I stopped checking after a WHOLE YEAR had passed!!!

According to my calculations I estimated that I would have owed them just £3-£4 but they are claiming it's £47. After spending ages finding & looking through old emails & bank statements I discovered that they failed to take a £44 Direct Debit payment, which I didn't notice at the time because it was a few days before Christmas & I was very busy. They had no reason for failing to take the payment as there was plenty of money in the account and I had not cancelled the Direct Debit, (all of which I have confirmed with my Bank & Extra Energy simply failed to present the payment due to poor organisation)!

I have made several frustrating phone calls to them & sent a Formal Complaint by recorded delivery, including copies of all the emails I originally sent and a copy of my contract which they have breached. They admit they should not have raised a Bill after 13 months as it is against OFGEM's Back Billing rules but since then they have taken off the first month and generated a NEW BILL 21 MONTHS later!

I now need to submit a new Formal Complaint to dispute the new Bill which I believe is against the Back Billing policy, and am still waiting for a response to my formal complaint about the fact they have breached the contract by setting Debt Collectors, (a very AGRESSIVE & persistent company called Allied International Credit, based in Glasgow), on me without even bothering to send me a bill in the first place, let alone contact me by the promised letter before passing the matter on to Debt Collectors!!!!!

Extra Energy are not only disorganised, chaotic, unhelpful, uncaring, unprofessional & untrustworthy, they are actually also dishonest & underhand as they are happy to blatantly breach the contract, destroy your Credit Rating, set the Debt Collectors on you without notice or warning, and RUIN your life!!!!!

BE WARNED; if you value your Credit Rating, time, mental health & privacy AVOID these slimy, cheating, cowboys LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!! Even if these losers are the cheapest, it is NOT WORTH the hassle; pay a little more and go with a better company - this lot are only dirt cheap because they have NO proper Customer Service & cheap IT which is not up to the job - I'm surprised they haven't been stripped of their Energy Supply Licence yet!

UPDATE: Despite my formal complaint to Extra Energy weeks ago the Debt Collectors are still bombarding me with annoying, harassing phone calls, & my old workplace has even written to me asking me to stop the Debt Collectors harassing THEM, (I no longer work there but the debt collectors won't accept that - well, apparently they say they do but then just call back an hour later - I doubt that will help my reference when I need it)!
    Originally posted by Wayward Son
    I have to ask, why have you allowed matters to escalate to this level?

You can go to the ombudsman as soon as 8 weeks after a complaint has been raised. If appopriate, the ombudsman has the powers to order a supplier to suspend collection activities whilst they investigate a complaint.
    • regis598
    • By regis598 16th Aug 16, 9:28 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    regis598
    From personal experience the Ombudsman operates in a similar fashion to EE, totally useless and I do speak from personal experience.
    • regis598
    • By regis598 16th Aug 16, 9:32 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    regis598
    The reason EE still exist is because the regulators decline to take any action against them. There are 2826 messages on this forum and few if any are complimentary about the performance of EE and I am sure the rest of them are not making up stories just to get EE into trouble.
    • ianG
    • By ianG 18th Aug 16, 10:22 AM
    • 50 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    ianG

Due to a poor website interface I was unable to supply my opening ............ old workplace has even written to me asking me to stop the Debt Collectors harassing THEM, (I no longer work there but the debt collectors won't accept that - well, apparently they say they do but then just call back an hour later - I doubt that will help my reference when I need it)!
    Originally posted by Wayward Son
    Personally, I would have involved a national paper consumer rights investigator. I had a dire experience with EE and asked for the Telegraph's Jessica to get involved and she did contact me but by then I had got EE off my back. It will not change their business procedures one jot but it should at least get you out of their clutches.

Others have mentioned elsewhere about energy companies practice of upping your DD and only doing twice or once yearly bills: The reason is that it allows them to collect the VAT and hang on to that for a good deal of time (to help their cash flow I assume), before they have to pay the money back to HMRC and you!
    Last edited by ianG; 18-08-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    • The Model Tree Man
    • By The Model Tree Man 25th Aug 16, 1:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The Model Tree Man
    I left this company in August last year - they are a nightmare!
    1. This company have failed to send me a final bill.
    I left them in August 2015. They never sent a final bill and on the 25th August this year I received an email from a debt collection agency!
    I spoke to Extra Energy direct and was informed that the final bill was issued in March 2016 (some 6 months after I had moved away), I have never received this email!
    I have now paid them £198.74 as the final balance.
    2. Speaking to Extra Energy they aren't interested in anything and insist that six months is an OK time to issue a bill - even if I haven't received it why haven't I received any reminders.

This company has me fuming (as you can probably guess), I always pay my way on time and do not appreciate being treated in this way.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 28th Aug 16, 1:26 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    footyguy
    I left them in August 2015. They never sent a final bill and on the 25th August this year I received an email from a debt collection agency!
    I spoke to Extra Energy direct and was informed that the final bill was issued in March 2016 (some 6 months after I had moved away), I have never received this email!
    2. Speaking to Extra Energy they aren't interested in anything and insist that six months is an OK time to issue a bill - even if I haven't received it why haven't I received any reminders.

This company has me fuming (as you can probably guess), I always pay my way on time and do not appreciate being treated in this way.
    Originally posted by The Model Tree Man
    I'm pretty sure Extra Energy say they only bill every 6 months in the terms you would have agreed to.

Your bill would have been available from your online account. I agree it is unfortunate that you didn't get an email informing you of it's availability, but if you knew there was a bill outstanding, an additional 5 months was surely more than enough for most people to have checked their online account.

Edit: Also if you owed almost £200 after just 12 months with them, then it sounds like you got the anicipated annual usage seriously wrong when you first joined them ... so much so that it could have affected who was the best supplier/tariff for you.
    Last edited by footyguy; 28-08-2016 at 1:31 PM.
    • hra
    • By hra 30th Aug 16, 6:33 PM
    • 89 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    hra
    How was payment justified?

Originally posted by The Model Tree Man
    If you never had a final bill, how do you know that their demand is correct?

Also BTW the licence conditions actually set a 6-week deadline to "take all reasonable steps" to send a final bill and to send a quarterly bill to any customer who requests it or has an online account: they are currently being investigated by Ofgem for this and much more:

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/investigation-extra-energy-supply-ltd-and-its-compliance-its-obligations-under-gas-and-electricity-supply-licences-slc-7b-14-21b-25c-27-31a-and-consumer-complaints-handling-standards-regulations-2008

• lisa110rry
    • By lisa110rry 31st Aug 16, 9:21 AM
    • 1,491 Posts
    • 2,673 Thanks
    lisa110rry
    That link is interesting hra, I've subscribed to it. Although I left EE almost 12 months ago and everything was sorted to my satisfaction, I've bookmarked the page as it sets out clearly the final bill and refund provisions.
    ďAnd all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.Ē
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 31st Aug 16, 10:10 AM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    footyguy
    The sorry saga continues...still further...
    So despite them yesterday finally acknowledging my complaint against them, ...
    Originally posted by footyguy
    But I would give them 10 more days to come uip with a proper, reasonable resolution which I would want in writing from them before I go to the ombudsman. I will then decide based on the contents of that response, if it arrives within 10 days, to decide whether to accept or go to the ombudsman anyway..
    Originally posted by footyguy

So I've now had an email from them saying we have bunged you £50 and closed your complaint against us.

I wonder what the ombudsman will say about that as a system for handling complaints?

Edit: And now I have phone message left from them asking me to contact them urgently about the complaint I raised ...
    Last edited by footyguy; 31-08-2016 at 10:18 AM.
    • Flashgordon
    • By Flashgordon 8th Sep 16, 11:45 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flashgordon
    Some 50 days after the Energy Ombudsman upheld my complaint that Extra Energy had not applied the Back Billing Code to my final account which they presented 11 months and 15 days after I had terminated my contract with them Ben Jones of EE sent me an e-mail with a revised final account attached acknowledging they had transgressed the Code and promising to forward the new credit balance plus a £75 Goodwill Gesture within 14-21 working days (not the 14 days the Ombudsman allows).

One cheer then the reality. Reading the new account Extra Energy had cancelled all previous invoices so that the account covered 310 days of which 141 were subject to back billing. The first 156 for which I had previously been invoiced (based on my monthly customer readings) were over late spring, summer and early autumn of 2014 when energy useage was modest. By averaging the duel fuel useage over the full 310 days EE would save £200 on the payback. Even using the full 310 day period the calculation shows that EE are trying to dodge 48% of the actual sum owing with their offer (they do not show the method by which they arrive @ the low figure).

I have gone back to the Ombudsman asking him to re-open the complaint as they closed it when EE said they had completed the remedy. I have pointed out that EE should not be allowed to reduce the credit balance by cancelling the first invoice. This was based on customer supplied readings which if disputed by the supplier should have been challenged at the time as per SLC 21B.2 of the Consumer Complaints Handling Regulations 2008 although of course they were retrospectively trying to comply with 6 monthly billing under SLC 21B.5 of the same Regulation and this is why the invoice was not issued until January 2015 over 3 months after the last supply date on the account. I have also set out the calculations by which the actual sum owing by EE should be found which is over £500 more than they are offering.
    • MABLE
    • By MABLE 17th Sep 16, 9:47 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 1,556 Thanks
    MABLE
    Even though everything was sorted out with EE back in May of this year I now find an email from their debt collection company requesting payment for an amount I never owed. However I spoke to my contact in the Complaints dept and he was excellent. He sorted the matter out for me straight away and the debt company have confirmed the case is closed.

There are some excellent people who work for EE but unfortunately their
    infrastructure lets them down.
    • gravotech
    • By gravotech 22nd Sep 16, 4:44 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gravotech
    Do not switch to this company; you will have nothing but grief.
    I joined in April this year and I still have not had a bill from them. They will do everything they can to stop you talking to their managers. Their staff are not helpful.
    I was told that I was not a priority.
    If you want to leave them you have to put this in writing even though their emails bounce back making it impossible to leave.
    BE VERY CAREFUL before thinking about this company
    • gravotech
    • By gravotech 22nd Sep 16, 4:54 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gravotech
    I have found extra energy to be the pits of all energy companies
    You do not get a bill off them until it suits them
    We too are taking Extra energy to the ombudsman as they will not send a bill to us.

No one should use them as they only cause anger
    • gravotech
    • By gravotech 22nd Sep 16, 4:56 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gravotech
    Check with Eon as they will give you a better deal than this bunch of cowboys
    • gravotech
    • By gravotech 22nd Sep 16, 4:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gravotech
    Go with someone else.
    You will regret it!
    • gravotech
    • By gravotech 22nd Sep 16, 4:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gravotech
    If people have had a bad experience should we not be able to tell others.
    Unless the companies themselves donít like the truth
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,110Posts Today

5,986Users online

Martin's Twitter