Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 9
    • cheruk
    • By cheruk 25th Jan 17, 2:14 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cheruk
    I have just called Scottish Power and have got a total refund of £70 for my old prepay gas and electricity accounts. Thanks so much for letting me know about this!!!
    Originally posted by cheruk
    Very sadly I did not get the same response with EDF, who I was also with. When I web chatted with them they told me to send in my old prepayment key. Duh?? Surely they have all of this on their system, as did Scottish Power. They also suggested I contact my (housing Association) landlord. Not at all impressed!!

Chrissy
    • wolfysmith
    • By wolfysmith 21st Feb 17, 11:58 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    wolfysmith
    I had a similar problem but it was to do with Supplier not accepting the final meter reading which meant supplier charged for gas not consumed = £20. It took me hours of phone calls, 3inch deep in emails and letters and 11 months to get the money back after beating the CEO over the head 5 times. The Energy Ombudsman was extremely weak (didn't want to make a fuss, did not deal with the facts) and said OFGEM should deal with some issues. OFGEM stated that it couldn't ... the system is broken, the suppliers are getting away with an unlawful practice and it wants stopping.

See my post 21 Feb in Energy forum ...

Supplier Charging for Energy Not Consumed
    21st Feb 2017 11:25 PM post by wolfysmith
    • leninspot
    • By leninspot 23rd Feb 17, 8:32 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    leninspot
    I successfully claimed back money from Extra Energy but I had to threaten them with the energy ombudsman. Look at the latter's website - it's useful. DONT give in to them. If you're right they'll have to pay up.
    • SammyS1987
    • By SammyS1987 31st Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    SammyS1987
    Please tell me if I am wrong, but I thought refund of credit should happen automatically these days?

I cancelled some old DDs last week, one of which was with Green Star Energy, received an email today advising they are now 'unable to take any payments' from me but that my account is in credit of £-31.83. This is an account I closed in August last year!

I have spoken to them and they are going to refund me via BACS, makes me wonder if any other former suppliers owe me anything.

When questioned Green Star claim it was because they never sent me a final bill.
    Love, peace & karma.
    • pullenuk
    • By pullenuk 11th Oct 17, 11:14 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    pullenuk
    GB Energy SLOW
    Requested refund from GB energy on the 19th September 2017 who advised the money should be refunded by 9th October 2017.

I had to call them today (11th October) asking where the money is and they are claiming it been sent. Obviously this is a lie and I owed £330.81. My bank First Direct is very good at processing payments and even shows what is due to come in and out tomorrow. So there is nothing since the 19th September of any money from them.

Not impressed. This should be automatically refunded when I moved suppliers and should've been paid by now. I refuse to believe it takes "14 working days". It doesn't, money moves between accounts a lot faster than that.

Can anyone tell me if I can demand interest of late payment on this, since they are earning it and not me, on MY money.
    • najc
    • By najc 4th Dec 17, 12:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    najc
    Flow energy
    Switched from Flow Energy early October. They said it takes 6-8 weeks to process the final bill and credit me monies owed. It's taken longer. But it appears there is no standard time on how long this takes. Has the regulator issued any guidelines for supplier?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 4th Dec 17, 12:42 PM
    • 4,645 Posts
    • 2,815 Thanks
    Hengus
    Switched from Flow Energy early October. They said it takes 6-8 weeks to process the final bill and credit me monies owed. It's taken longer. But it appears there is no standard time on how long this takes. Has the regulator issued any guidelines for supplier?
    Originally posted by najc
    There are Regulations in place. Both EU Law and Supply Licence Conditions require suppliers to use their REASONABLE endeavours to issue a Final Bill within 6 weeks from the actual date of the supply transfer ( note this is different from the date that you apply to switch suppliers). There are no rules on how long suppliers have to repay the actual credit and many suppliers have an escalating refund approvals process depending on the amount to be re-paid.

It would seem that some suppliers are playing the reasonable endeavours card. For example, we haven't received verified transfer meter readings from the new supplier. Lawyers make a lot of money arguing about what is reasonable and what is unreasonable in contracts/law.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 4th Dec 17, 2:19 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Still waiting for Iresa to raise my final bill and refund me my credit. They responded to my (written) complaint quickly enough, and said the included opening bill from E.ON would be enough evidence to raise it manually, but nothing has changed ten days later.

8 Week deadline for the EO is the new year.

Tick, Tock.

Edit, They paid the refund a couple of days after I made this post. Better late than never I suppose.
    Last edited by Raxiel; 08-12-2017 at 1:41 PM. Reason: update
    • carpy
    • By carpy 8th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 885 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    carpy
    GB Energy
    i had a forgotten about credit balance with GB from when i left them in August.

just this week they contacted me saying it had been missed by them and they were processing a refund.

i complained saying they should have picked this up much sooner and mentioned interest should be paid on it.......and to be fair they agreed to pay 8% on the balance!

so fair play to GB Energy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,942Posts Today

7,736Users online

Martin's Twitter