Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bocaboca
    • By bocaboca 25th Feb 14, 7:50 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 1Thanks
    bocaboca
    Credit Investigation Bureau of Birmingham
    • 25th Feb 14, 7:50 PM
    Credit Investigation Bureau of Birmingham 25th Feb 14 at 7:50 PM
    Apologies if this isn't the correct forum...

My wife is being pestered by the above company; my radar is shouting "Scam!" but.... just in case... has anyone come across them or had dealings with them?

Thanks Tony
Page 1
    • laineybird2000
    • By laineybird2000 25th Feb 14, 8:16 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    laineybird2000
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:16 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 8:16 PM
    Just had a scoot around Google. Nothing at all there about the company. Are they a start up thing? My mum always said, if in doubt, don't. Good advice. X
    • societys child
    • By societys child 25th Feb 14, 9:24 PM
    • 3,689 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    societys child
    • 25th Feb 14, 9:24 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 9:24 PM
    Credit Investigation Bureau of Birmingham

. . . sounds really legitimate

• keyser666
    • By keyser666 25th Feb 14, 9:37 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 1,571 Thanks
    keyser666
    • 25th Feb 14, 9:37 PM
    • 25th Feb 14, 9:37 PM
    Just had a scoot around Google. Nothing at all there about the company. Are they a start up thing? My mum always said, if in doubt, don't. Good advice. X
    Originally posted by laineybird2000
    Is google broke for you?

OP, does your mum owe anyone any money?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 26th Feb 14, 12:43 AM
    • 23,290 Posts
    • 9,181 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 26th Feb 14, 12:43 AM
    • 26th Feb 14, 12:43 AM
    6 of the top 7 results in google found them easily enough. Would have been the top 6 of 6 if this thread was not listed.

Dycon?

Although other than one phone number and a shared address nothing is showing. Is it a real company?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • bocaboca
    • By bocaboca 1st Mar 14, 3:17 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    bocaboca
    • 1st Mar 14, 3:17 PM
    nuisance calls now being received from others
    • 1st Mar 14, 3:17 PM
    my wife is now getting calls from the ""Credit dept of the Office of Fair Trading.""

They claimed she owes money on a credit card ( which she doesn't)... SO she insisted that they tell her which card and how much at which point they hung up..... a good sign of a scam(?).

Initially she was concerned by these calls but she might be starting to enjoy them!
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 1st Mar 14, 6:02 PM
    • 10,193 Posts
    • 7,352 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 1st Mar 14, 6:02 PM
    • 1st Mar 14, 6:02 PM
    my wife is now getting calls from the ""Credit dept of the Office of Fair Trading.""

They claimed she owes money on a credit card ( which she doesn't)... SO she insisted that they tell her which card and how much at which point they hung up..... a good sign of a scam(?).

Initially she was concerned by these calls but she might be starting to enjoy them!
    Originally posted by bocaboca
    Tell them sure thing, I just need your name, dob, address, NI number, shoe size etc in order to issue your payment.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 2nd Mar 14, 1:31 PM
    • 10,350 Posts
    • 13,363 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 2nd Mar 14, 1:31 PM
    • 2nd Mar 14, 1:31 PM
    Tell them sure thing, I just need your name, dob, address, NI number, shoe size etc in order to issue your payment.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    You forgot to include: bank details, favourite sex positions, and anything else you can think of
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    If Putin invades, I'm not worried: you, however, should be.
  • leedspete
    • 30th Jul 14, 5:13 PM
    • 30th Jul 14, 5:13 PM
    Just had a phone call from these scammers stating that i owe £50000 to both barclays and natwest. If i owed them £50000 each does the caller think i would be answering the phone
  • ledmunds73
    I've been getting calls from a crowd that sounds like this for well over a year now. They always have an Indian accent but introduce themselves as "Steve" or "Kevin" etc. They will reel off a list of pretty much every financial organisation you allegedly owe money to obviously in the hope you might have some business with one of the companies on the list. The story is consistent, that these companies have engaged them to recover debt from you but they have a product to help, you just need to confirm a few account details first...

Asking them for a telephone number, email or website address so you can do some research into their company before getting back to them usually gets them to hang up.

Scam all the way....
  • Dianne Howard
    Credit Investigation Bureau
    Hi Folks
    I to have just had a call from someone with foreign accent dialling in on mobile number which if ring back does not respond.
    PLEASE do not respond to their request for Credit card ramble about Government help to clear debt.
    Again another debt consolidation company probably at best at worst con men.
    If you have debt problems contact CAB for ligitament help.;
  • nicw
    Also had a call
    Just wanted to chime in that I also received a call from the 'Credit investigation bureau'. As another poster said, it was a mobile number and an Indian accent. He said their retail manager had noted that I have unsecured debts in my name. When I said I don't, he said, 'Oh, you don't? Oh, OK, sorry.' and hung up. Definitely felt like a scam!
    • Mellory
    • By Mellory 15th Apr 16, 12:30 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mellory
    Just had a phone call from them, they are now using the number 02031988117.

As soon as i asked where they got my details they hung up, and you can't return the call!
    • vuvuzela
    • By vuvuzela 15th Apr 16, 5:24 PM
    • 3,193 Posts
    • 3,712 Thanks
    vuvuzela
    Just had a phone call from them, they are now using the number 02031988117.

As soon as i asked where they got my details they hung up, and you can't return the call!
    Originally posted by Mellory
    0203, that well known Birmingham dialing code. Hopefully anyone that googles credit investigation bureau of Birmingham will find this page and be able to work out whether they are scammers doing a scam or a proper company. I have an idea which I'd choose.
    • dawning
    • By dawning 17th Apr 16, 4:30 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    dawning
    Totally agree. I personally will just hang up whenever I get a call asking for money or personal information, and offering something that too good to be true. Sometimes, I don't answer calls from number I don't recognize. I look up the number on Google or sites like whycall.me just to see if people have been contacted by the numbers and reported it. After that, I can just easily block the number.
    • Nikki67
    • By Nikki67 29th Jun 16, 9:41 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Nikki67
    I had a call just now from 07595 020654, Indian accented man saying he was from the credit investigation bureau. I told him I didn't want to speak to him, put the phone down and then blocked the number. Definitely some sort of scam. I trust no one on the phone.
    • teamtomsk
    • By teamtomsk 5th Oct 16, 6:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    teamtomsk
    Just had a call with the same M.O. from the Credit Investigation Bureau 07980 196185 - Indian accent from the busiest call centre on earth by the sound of it. Said I didn't have any debt, let alone any outstanding debt and he then said 'sorry' and hung up. Clearly, they just had my contact details... Had quite a few scam callers this year, but this ranks joint first for the worst attempt at legitimacy.
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 11th Oct 16, 12:18 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    Really people???? We're having to warn people who can use the internet not to respond to calls from India from a firm using the word "Bureau" in the company title??
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

321Posts Today

1,130Users online

Martin's Twitter