Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 21st Feb 14, 6:56 PM
    • 1,480Posts
    • 3,561Thanks
    ani*fan
    Tales from the city
    • 21st Feb 14, 6:56 PM
    Tales from the city 21st Feb 14 at 6:56 PM
    Hi there

How is everyone? All good I hope. I had a diary on here for a few years called Tales from a Country Cottage. I won't bother with a link, it really wasn't exciting, but I do remember the wonderful support you lovely people offered me, and the joys of matched betting, mystery shopping, online free bingo (that was a good one) and various other strategies for making cash. All good stuff.

I have since moved to the city, hence the new diary and its new name. This feels very much like a fresh start and my goodness, I need one.

I was previously determined to clear my debt and at times actually managed to make it go down. Then life happened, threatened redundancy, separation from ex- OH, a house move, and then another one, then an application to do a PhD and various other expensive things that meant I took my eye off the ball.

And boy, did I...

My debt is now eye- watering and bigger than it has ever been in my life. I'm scared that I won't make ends meet every month and I have managed to max out 2 credit card in the last 6 months. I am constantly worried that something will go wrong with my car and not only do I have no money to get it fixed, I have no credit either.

Things are desperate, more so than they have been in years. I have moved to one of the most expensive places in Britain (not my choice, it was where I was offered a training post, £15 for fish and chips...really??) and am currently in a panic that I may need to give up my PhD and move back home. My debt repayments every month are massive and sometimes I can't cope with checking my accounts online.

So I was sat here feeling helpless and depressed and wondering what on earth I was going to do. Then I remembered this place. And suddenly I'm all inspired again.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a chance I can sort this out.

I know what needs to be done. I have to sort out my spending, I have to cut back on everything, I have to find ways to make extra cash, I have to seek out freebies, I have to find ways to live cheaply and most importantly I need to PAY OFF THE DEBT.

I can do it. And you are all my inspiration.

Thank you so much for reading and if you want to drop by and share your thoughts, feel free.

Time to get started!

a*f

If you know you have enough, you're rich.
Page 45
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 2nd Jul 17, 5:49 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    ani*fan
    We got a letter about the loan/grant yesterday. Apparently we forgot to put in the quote from the windows company so we need to email it to them. Then, decision by the end of the week. If it's not one thing...

Also, we got a letter saying the windows will be fitted around the middle of August. Excellent.

OH went mad in the garden yesterday so it now looks amazing. I was lying in the bath at the time watching Netflix.

I also found out about a 2-day-a week job so I've contacted the employer by email. I'm quite hopeful, my mate works there and says it's great. I'll wait to hear and in the meantime, I'll keep looking for ways to fill up the other 3 days.

I made an enquiry at work about my pension in anticipation of not being offered a job or not taking it. It turns out I'll need to get my pension contributions refunded as it's been less than 2 years and therefore they won't pay out anyway once I retire and I can't transfer it. I'm gutted about this, I'll lose the employer contribution entirely, can this be right? The woman I spoke to didn't seem to know much. I think I'll ring them again.

My wedding fund linked saver is supposed to mature this month. No sign of the interest yet. I need to phone them too.

Off to a car boot sale today to look for bedside tables. Happy debt busting everyone. x
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 2nd Jul 17, 8:08 AM
    • 2,154 Posts
    • 9,705 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    I haven't worked any job in the UK more than 2 years (aside from when I was working for my own LTD company freelancing) and my pension has stayed open/available for me to put money into it. They always ask what company it was opened for originally, but they're happy to have me contribute to it out of my own post-tax money, or (in my last role) have my employer contribute on my behalf pre-tax. I just have to print out a form to give to the employer with the details of the account.

(All that to say: even if you haven't contributed for 2 years and can't transfer for some reason, it should still belong to you and be accessible to you in the future - I would hope!)
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / July '17 £109,097
    Payment 42/84 / 2017 MFW #56: £10,572/£20,000 52% / MFiT-T4 #15: £50,403/£90,000 56%
    • dionysia
    • By dionysia 2nd Jul 17, 9:21 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    dionysia
    That seems very odd about the pension! I'd definitely try to speak to someone else or have a little google around. With less than two years I think you do have the option to take the money back but it shouldn't be mandatory, I'd have thought at least you should be able to transfer it to a pension of your choice. And losing the employer contribution doesn't seem right, that was part of your overall compensation package! It'd be like them coming and saying you have to give them back cash!
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 2nd Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Thank you both for your helpful replies, you've just convinced me to go back and ask again. Like I said, the woman I spoke to sounded like a muppet who couldn't admit she didn't know something so maybe made things up.

• ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 10th Jul 17, 6:39 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I've joined the Millionaire Challenge on here. Guess I'm feeling optimistic. I'm not entirely sure I'll ever be worth a million, but it looks like a lot of fun trying to get there.

I'm also thinking I need a new diary. I started this one as I had a new fresh start in a new city, very different from my old country cottage. I'm now in a different situation again, about to get married, finished the course I came here to do, another new start happening.

Maybe I'll away and figure out a first summary post on a new start on here too.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 10th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    • 1,480 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I've started a new diary, yey! Exciting! Please come and join me on it everyone, you're all most welcome! It's called 'Ditching the last of the pizza debt'.

Last edited by ani*fan; 10-07-2017 at 7:59 AM.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 11th Jul 17, 6:56 AM
    • 3,953 Posts
    • 20,944 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    ooh will follow you over....

for those that cant find the diary in amongst them all here's the link - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5677139
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 4 for July
    NSD - 2/16
    (up to 5/7/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,178Posts Today

8,266Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin