Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 21st Feb 14, 5:56 PM
    • 1,381Posts
    • 3,240Thanks
    ani*fan
    Tales from the city
    • 21st Feb 14, 5:56 PM
    Tales from the city 21st Feb 14 at 5:56 PM
    Hi there

How is everyone? All good I hope. I had a diary on here for a few years called Tales from a Country Cottage. I won't bother with a link, it really wasn't exciting, but I do remember the wonderful support you lovely people offered me, and the joys of matched betting, mystery shopping, online free bingo (that was a good one) and various other strategies for making cash. All good stuff.

I have since moved to the city, hence the new diary and its new name. This feels very much like a fresh start and my goodness, I need one.

I was previously determined to clear my debt and at times actually managed to make it go down. Then life happened, threatened redundancy, separation from ex- OH, a house move, and then another one, then an application to do a PhD and various other expensive things that meant I took my eye off the ball.

And boy, did I...

My debt is now eye- watering and bigger than it has ever been in my life. I'm scared that I won't make ends meet every month and I have managed to max out 2 credit card in the last 6 months. I am constantly worried that something will go wrong with my car and not only do I have no money to get it fixed, I have no credit either.

Things are desperate, more so than they have been in years. I have moved to one of the most expensive places in Britain (not my choice, it was where I was offered a training post, £15 for fish and chips...really??) and am currently in a panic that I may need to give up my PhD and move back home. My debt repayments every month are massive and sometimes I can't cope with checking my accounts online.

So I was sat here feeling helpless and depressed and wondering what on earth I was going to do. Then I remembered this place. And suddenly I'm all inspired again.

Maybe, just maybe, there's a chance I can sort this out.

I know what needs to be done. I have to sort out my spending, I have to cut back on everything, I have to find ways to make extra cash, I have to seek out freebies, I have to find ways to live cheaply and most importantly I need to PAY OFF THE DEBT.

I can do it. And you are all my inspiration.

Thank you so much for reading and if you want to drop by and share your thoughts, feel free.

Time to get started!

a*f

Debt at its highest £18,780
    Debt today £8,715
Page 39
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Mar 17, 3:38 AM
    • 402 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Brilliant, well done!
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th February 2017/DFD: £67,031.92/1st December 2026
    debt on 6/3/17/DFD: £65,836.53/1st August 2026
    • misstara
    • By misstara 15th Mar 17, 5:15 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 14,268 Thanks
    misstara
    Fantastic
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £290.15 (97.2% paid)
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1938.22 (15.8% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - 5/12. Groceries target £100.67/£135. NSD target 8/15.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Mar 17, 6:43 AM
    • 4,156 Posts
    • 23,197 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Amazingly good. Well done you.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £85,739.60 Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. payments made 21274.14 plus 6737.54 in interest earning account
    total £28,011.68
    Emergency fund £5.5k & £200 cash.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 17th Mar 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Thank you, lovelies!!

Small party required.

xxx
    Debt today £8,715
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 20th Mar 17, 3:29 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan
    The housing rental market in my city is quite unstable just now and prices have been falling for some time. I didn't mention it on here, but this time last year I negotiated a £200 per month reduction in rent for me and OH. I did another check last night and believe we are due another £100 reduction. I've emailed the leasing agent about this. They'll need to speak to the owner and I guess we'll hear back in a week or two.

I'm feeling all assertive.
    Debt today £8,715
    • misstara
    • By misstara 20th Mar 17, 3:52 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 14,268 Thanks
    misstara
    That would be amazing, hope you get the reduction
    Mini Targets
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 21st Mar 17, 4:16 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan
    That would be amazing, hope you get the reduction
    Originally posted by misstara
    Thanks misstara, you know what it's like here, the property market has just dropped in value wildly, I might as well make the most of it, any chance you could do the same?

I have done some quick sums and realise that if this rent reduction comes through, then I will be debt free 2 months sooner than expected, so February next year. Which would mean I'm in my final year of debt repayment RIGHT NOW!!

Need to not get ahead of myself though. Just waiting to hear.
    Debt today £8,715
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 21st Mar 17, 12:44 PM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 9,030 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Ooh, fabulous! I hope the negotiation works well.

(First time I've ever heard of being able to negotiate rent downwards, clearly I've only been renting in expensive places and/or from greedy landlords.)
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / Mar '17 £111,283 (£6,104 offset)
    Payment 38/84 / 2017 MFW #56: £8,385/£20,000 41% / MFiT-T4 #15: £48,216/£90,000 53%
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 22nd Mar 17, 4:01 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan

(First time I've ever heard of being able to negotiate rent downwards, clearly I've only been renting in expensive places and/or from greedy landlords.)
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    It's a very unusual situation hiddenshadow and when I first emailed the leasing agent last year, I thought 'there is no WAY they are going to reduce the rent'. However, similar flats being advertised in our block were clearly going for £200 less than we were paying so we were getting quite annoyed about that and more than ready to move. We wouldn't even have needed a van, could just have moved it all in the lift with the help of a friend or two. However, the owner saw sense, even though he sounded a bit shocked that we had asked, and reduced the rent. He has no option. If he sells his flat now he will lose 10s of thousands. I've been on rightmove to see what he paid for it, haha.

To explain a bit further, I've pm-ed you.
    Debt today £8,715
    • misstara
    • By misstara 22nd Mar 17, 6:25 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 14,268 Thanks
    misstara
    Thanks misstara, you know what it's like here, the property market has just dropped in value wildly, I might as well make the most of it, any chance you could do the same?
    Originally posted by ani*fan
    If we were still in a private let, I'd definitely be doing the same. However since we got our new flat, our rent has almost halved which is fab and unfortunately I don't think the council negotiate on rent Fingers crossed for you.
    Mini Targets
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 23rd Mar 17, 1:13 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I got an email yesterday from the leasing agent, confirming my request and asking for clarification about how much I was prepared to pay. Now I just have to wait. We're very lucky with our leasing agent, most of them are dreadful but ours are always helpful. I like that.

I still have my expensive thing advertised and am beginning to realise I need to use a different tactic and advertise somewhere else. I'll do another search online and see if I can find a shop that might buy it. It sits here gathering dust and I could really use the cash.

Me and OH are away this weekend, paid for in advance, visiting future inlaws. We're travelling by megabus to save money. Let's hope it runs on time.

Other than that, there is not much happening on the money saving front. We have just about managed to stay in budget this month although I did not manage the overpayments I'd hope for. Ah well. No harm in trying anyway. I have some study leave coming up and to be honest, I'm exhausted and need a rest. It will be nice to not have to get up and go into work every day.
    Debt today £8,715
    • hiddenshadow
    • By hiddenshadow 23rd Mar 17, 5:53 AM
    • 2,030 Posts
    • 9,030 Thanks
    hiddenshadow
    Hope you have a nice weekend away. I always forget that Megabus operates here - we've used them a couple of times in the US on holiday and they were quite good. No driving, free wifi, what more could you want?
    MFW: Dec '13 £197,100 / Dec '14 £180,691 / Dec '15 £161,669 / Dec '16 £119,669 / Mar '17 £111,283 (£6,104 offset)
    Payment 38/84 / 2017 MFW #56: £8,385/£20,000 41% / MFiT-T4 #15: £48,216/£90,000 53%
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 24th Mar 17, 4:41 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Hope you have a nice weekend away. I always forget that Megabus operates here - we've used them a couple of times in the US on holiday and they were quite good. No driving, free wifi, what more could you want?
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    You might want them to run on time. This often does not happen and with quite significant delays. Me and OH were in a panic last summer when our bus was over an hour late and we almost missed our flight. Lesson learned. Don't use megabus for vitally important journeys, but everything else is fine.
    Debt today £8,715
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 24th Mar 17, 4:47 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I was quite busy on the mse front yesterday. A few things to report:

I chased up my tax refund. I have no idea how much this will be, maybe just £50 or something, but better in my pocket than theirs.

I've had an email chat with the leasing agent about our rent reduction. No word from the owner yet but it's early days.

I've been researching alternative ways to sell my expensive thing. No luck yet but I'll keep trying.

I have also been practising using my credit card in a responsible way to pay for work expenses that I can then reclaim. I hate how work expenses can mess up my budget for the month with payments that I know I'll get back. This month I'm waiting on £46 to be repaid so I can get it off my credit card. This is my third month of doing this and so far it is going well. I haven't forgotten to pay it back, or paid any interest, so I'm feeling a lot more confident about doing this.

Less than a week until payday and it can't come quick enough. Happy debt busting everyone.
    Debt today £8,715
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 24th Mar 17, 5:11 AM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I've just opened a TSB Classic Plus account. It offers £10 cash back per month if I pay in £500, have 2 DDs go out and make 20 debit card payments during the month. I think I could earn about £100 in the next year doing this to help with the debt reduction.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm a bit annoyed my halifax rewards account only pays £3 now. I know it's been a few months now but still, feels a bit mean, and annoys me every time I check the joint account.

Can you switch and get bonuses if it's a joint account? Maybe I need to find that out.
    Debt today £8,715
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 24th Mar 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 18,193 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    I was quite busy on the mse front yesterday. A few things to report:

I chased up my tax refund. I have no idea how much this will be, maybe just £50 or something, but better in my pocket than theirs.

I've had an email chat with the leasing agent about our rent reduction. No word from the owner yet but it's early days.

I've been researching alternative ways to sell my expensive thing. No luck yet but I'll keep trying.

I have also been practising using my credit card in a responsible way to pay for work expenses that I can then reclaim. I hate how work expenses can mess up my budget for the month with payments that I know I'll get back. This month I'm waiting on £46 to be repaid so I can get it off my credit card. This is my third month of doing this and so far it is going well. I haven't forgotten to pay it back, or paid any interest, so I'm feeling a lot more confident about doing this.

Less than a week until payday and it can't come quick enough. Happy debt busting everyone.
    Hi Ani. We use a credit card for all of Mr F's business expenses and it works well. Does your card give you any rewards? We get vouchers and because Mr F's expenses are quite hefty it works out at £80's worth every four months.

Fortune x
    Moving Costs: 73% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 56%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 24th Mar 17, 12:58 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 3,240 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Hi fortune
    Neither of my 2 remaining credit cards earn rewards. They were both picked due to 0% balance transfer deals.
    What rewards card would you recommend? I don't have much in the way of expenses, the biggest is about £150 per month and often much less.
    How strange to be pondering a cc based on anything but the biggest amount of credit it will give me for the longest time. Haha. 😊
    Debt today £8,715
    • Fortune Smiles
    • By Fortune Smiles 24th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,275 Posts
    • 18,193 Thanks
    Fortune Smiles
    Hi fortune
    Neither of my 2 remaining credit cards earn rewards. They were both picked due to 0% balance transfer deals.
    What rewards card would you recommend? I don't have much in the way of expenses, the biggest is about £150 per month and often much less.
    How strange to be pondering a cc based on anything but the biggest amount of credit it will give me for the longest time. Haha. 😊
    It's a lovely feeling isn't it - getting them to pay you

I don't have vast experience but is the best man to ask so you might find something here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-credit-card-rewards

Fortune x
    Moving Costs: 73% Mortgage: 25% remaining House Deposit Contribution: 56%

"It is possible to move mountains by carrying small stones."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,600Posts Today

7,805Users online

Martin's Twitter