Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 14th Feb 14, 8:20 PM
    • 12,071Posts
    • 104,941Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Low Carb Diets Support Thread
    • 14th Feb 14, 8:20 PM
    Low Carb Diets Support Thread 14th Feb 14 at 8:20 PM
    Bright and shiny new thread as requested.

Continuation of this thread.

Updated recipe list here
    Last edited by gunsandbanjos; 16-02-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Page 35
    • MoonJelly
    • By MoonJelly 6th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    MoonJelly
    I'd like to join again please. I had joined back in 2015 (I think) but I had some family emergencies (we have 4 funerals in 1 year) and stopped dieting. Now I'm heavier than ever and it is causing me a lot of back and knee problems -not to mention I can't bear to look at myself in the mirror.
    my GP suggested a no carb diet. I have tried this before and I don't have the will to do totally no-carb, but I have done low carb with success (about 20 year ago). I kept the weight off for many years, too.

So here I am again ready to go for it.
    I am 5' and starting at 74kg (11.653 st). The doc figures I can use losing 3st.
    Is that even possible? and is that possible without having tons of lose skin?
    .................................................. ............................
    NW: £5014.49/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: £3777.23 /
    £3387.23
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 7th Jun 17, 9:06 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,805 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Hallo Moonjelly I try to keep under 50 per day too, glad to have some company as I keep losing focus.
    JUNE £200=£35
    JULY, £200=
    £58
    AUGUST, £300,
    G-£3, -£4,-£24,-£39,-£24O-£3-£9,-£30, -£119,-£5,-£45,-£65,-£43-£112
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 7th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,805 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Have reported Smruti as not consistent with this thread.
    JUNE £200=£35
    JULY, £200=
    £58
    AUGUST, £300,
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 7th Jun 17, 9:23 AM
    • 9,791 Posts
    • 55,151 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning everyone.

Hello to the newbies.

Back from holiday, had a lovely time but a few minor mishaps. Lost a filling so had to skip Berlin to find a dentist in port. Lovely chap, managed to replace filling and save the tooth. Worth the 150E. Hopefully can claim some back off my travel insurance.

Pam......so sorry to hear about your dental woes, sounds awful. Glad you are recovering.

Whilst in Helsinki I wrenched my knee walking on cobbles, thought nothing of it, thought it was just a pulled muscle. Alas no, turns out it was the meniscus. Need to see the orthopaedic surgeon to decide what to do next. Fingers crossed it might not be too bad and we can make do with a steroid injection, don't really fancy surgery.....hey ho.

I was pretty good on holiday although it's much harder to stick to low carbs when you are away from home. Put on a few pounds but I soon got rid of them when I got back.

So now it's back to healthy eating. Apparently cholesterol is a bit high, so I'm going to cut back on dairy. I am a bit of a cheeseaholic and I think that sabotages my weight loss. Good excuse to knock back some red wine and dark chocolate. I don't want to take statins so it's up to me to sort myself out.

I'm off shopping in a bit - time to stock up on the healthy stuff.....
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 7th Jun 17, 11:45 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,805 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Normal dental check with my dentist tomorrow, hopefully we can discuss options to fill the gap.
    Glad you had a lovely holiday L.L., sorry about the knee though,
    carbs are so seductive, had a few oats last night mixed in to bulk my pudd, had to have a second serve and I am certain it was the oats as I love them.
    Back to it today with positivity
    JUNE £200=£35
    JULY, £200=
    £58
    AUGUST, £300,
    • MoonJelly
    • By MoonJelly 8th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    MoonJelly
    Hallo Moonjelly I try to keep under 50 per day too, glad to have some company as I keep losing focus.
    Originally posted by pamsdish
    Hiya back

I am not counting the carbs estrictly but I am following the meals plans of a low carb website (I found the link at the beginning of this thread dietdoctor.com). I'm avoiding sugar, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and/or anything else starchy. Also I am using low carb protein shakes as a meal replacement once a day or if I need a snack before running errands or going on the bike.

I haven't actually weighted myself in a week but someone told me today my face was slimmer. Now to someone like me who has developed the tipical fat face of someone who has been on steroids for year this was
    .................................................. ............................
    NW: £5014.49/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: £3777.23 /
    £3387.23
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 9,791 Posts
    • 55,151 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hello everyone.

Sorry not been around much but I have had a dreadful couple of weeks. I won't bore you all but basically I have "divorced" my sister.

It's very sad but very necessary. Her shenanigans were making me ill and I just decided I had had enough.

so now it's time to focus on getting back on track.

I went for my check up........blood sugars fine, but cholesterol climibjng and blood pressure high although I think the high BP is stress related so now that I've got rid of the main cause of my stress that should soon come down to a healthier level.

Stepped on the scales, weight and BMI really do have to come down so here I am ......back to try again.

Hurt my knee on holiday, definitely a torn meniscus so just waiting for an MRI so they can decide how bad it is and what they are going to do. It doesn't feel too bad so I am hoping to avoid surgery.

At any rate losing a couple of stones will definitely help my knee so here goes....

Not sure what I'm going to eat today - I think it's going to be a bit too hot for using the oven, so something simple with a nice salad for my main meal.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 12,527 Posts
    • 16,718 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    In my ninth week of low carbing now. My weight has come down from 234 lbs to 208 and my waist measurement has gone down from 45" to 39". To be fair, I have combined it with 5:2ing.

I lost it last night though and ransacked the freezers looking for the quarter loaf that I knew was in there somewhere. Thee slices of hot buttered toast later I was in heaven.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 17th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 3,006 Thanks
    so very confused
    In my ninth week of low carbing now. My weight has come down from 234 lbs to 208 and my waist measurement has gone down from 45" to 39". To be fair, I have combined it with 5:2ing.

I lost it last night though and ransacked the freezers looking for the quarter loaf that I knew was in there somewhere. Thee slices of hot buttered toast later I was in heaven.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    That's brilliant! Inspiration to us all.
    I have been up and down. I have had to leave work due to ongoing pain and problems with my shoulders which has thrown my diet into chaos. I am beginning to get some routine in my life including the meal planning so back on board.......once again.
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 23rd Jun 17, 9:15 AM
    • 9,791 Posts
    • 55,151 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good Morning.

Gloomendom..... wow. Great result.

Well I have lost 3.3 lbs in 6 days. Only another 3.5 stones to go..... still it's a start and actually just losing 2 stones would see a significant health benefit. It would definitely help my knees.

MRI scan tomorrow.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 23rd Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 12,527 Posts
    • 16,718 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    206 today.

I'm still overweight according to the NHS though!
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 24th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,805 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I am so hit and miss, I going to make a big effort to stick with it, gained and up to 12st again, my sister and I planning a probably med cruise for October, we usually cruise Jan/Feb but she and her O.H. went around the South American coast on a long time booked special in Feb, so we going autumn, hope to 2st off by then,
    JUNE £200=£35
    JULY, £200=
    £58
    AUGUST, £300,
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 24th Jun 17, 9:58 AM
    • 9,791 Posts
    • 55,151 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Hi Pam. Wondered how you were. Having your fab cruise to look forward to will help you stay focussed.

I'm another 1lb lighter today so really pleased.

Have my MRI scan this afternoon, will be glad when that's over. I know its not painful but I am not really looking forward to it.

Feeling rather low at the moment.

This week I "divorced" my sister. It wasn't easy or pleasant. The aftershocks have been dreadful, chest pains, panic attacks, upset stomach. Hey ho. I know I've done the right thing and that I will feel better in the long run.

Just need to stay focussed on the healthy eating and look after myself now.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 24th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 3,805 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Hope you feeling better L.L., I love my sister dearly, we went 11 yrs not speaking after the death of our mother, I missed her every minute, my daughter got dragged into another family member row, my sister also joined in, ending with me saying, "If SHE`S got anything to say she can say it to me not you." 1 looong phone call later and a lot of air cleared we have been fine since, still not speaking to my brother some rifts go too deep, sorry to say our mother would be overjoyed she had caused discord. Sometimes it`s better to walk away.
    Planning on starting over tomorrow and keeping focused. Great you are loosing again I will sit and plan menu for the week later.
    JUNE £200=£35
    JULY, £200=
    £58
    AUGUST, £300,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,282Posts Today

7,761Users online

Martin's Twitter