Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gunsandbanjos
    • By gunsandbanjos 14th Feb 14, 8:20 PM
    • 12,076Posts
    • 104,945Thanks
    gunsandbanjos
    Low Carb Diets Support Thread
    • 14th Feb 14, 8:20 PM
    Low Carb Diets Support Thread 14th Feb 14 at 8:20 PM
    Bright and shiny new thread as requested.

Continuation of this thread.

Updated recipe list here
    Last edited by gunsandbanjos; 16-02-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Page 31
    • silverbeetle
    • By silverbeetle 11th Mar 17, 9:51 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    silverbeetle
    Well I've officially lost 2 stone since January 2016. Slow and steady and into size 18 now. I was verging on 24

Has anyone been?
    Originally posted by elisebutt65
    Wow congratulations on your weigh loss.

I have been low carb for a few weeks now and had lost 5 ponds but gained 2 this week but I have not changed my eating pattern. I am having less than 50g of carbs each day. Should I cut this down more?
    • kah22
    • By kah22 11th Mar 17, 4:23 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    kah22
    Well I've officially lost 2 stone since January 2016. Slow and steady and into size 18 now. I was verging on 24 ?
    Congrats. If you don't mind me asking what macros did you set yoursel ?
    I used to be indecisive,but now I'm not so sure.
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 11th Mar 17, 7:58 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 7,285 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    Macros? I don't have a clue what they are. Lol. I just follow the recipes on the diet doctor website, eat lots of protein and fat, only eat 'above the ground' veggies, apart from celeriac and sweet potatoes and snack on pork scratchings.
    Have the occasional sugar free jelly or egg custard when I need something sweet.
    I nicked a quality street the other day, from the Xmas stash, and had to spit it out because it was too sweet!

The only problem I have now is that everything's sagging I may have to save up for a tummy tuck. It's so not fair that the NHS pays for gastric surgery but not for the after effects of weight loss. I've still got another 2 stone or 2 dress sizes to drop and I'll be happy. Not going back to eating any carbs though, apart from when I'm away and can't find anything else. But I can always have salads.

Weight loss has been particularly hard as I'm on hormone treatment following breast cancer and all the drugs I'm on have weight gain as a side effect. But losing carbs has always been far easier than restricting intake or counting calories. And it works!
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    Student MoneySaving Club member 026! Teacher now and still Moneysaving

• Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 12th Mar 17, 8:05 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Wow congratulations on your weigh loss.

I have been low carb for a few weeks now and had lost 5 ponds but gained 2 this week but I have not changed my eating pattern. I am having less than 50g of carbs each day. Should I cut this down more?
    Originally posted by silverbeetle
    I don't measure my carbs, so couldn't tell you if I eat 20 or 50 a day.
    All I can tell you is that I don't eat ANY potatoes, rice, pasta, refined carbs of any sort, no breads etc.

All my carbs come from fruit and veggies.

I lose more weight if I keep the root veggies and fruit to a minimum and eat more fat though.

Hope that helps.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 12th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Macros? I don't have a clue what they are. Lol. I just follow the recipes on the diet doctor website, eat lots of protein and fat, only eat 'above the ground' veggies, apart from celeriac and sweet potatoes and snack on pork scratchings.
    Have the occasional sugar free jelly or egg custard when I need something sweet.
    I nicked a quality street the other day, from the Xmas stash, and had to spit it out because it was too sweet!

The only problem I have now is that everything's sagging I may have to save up for a tummy tuck. It's so not fair that the NHS pays for gastric surgery but not for the after effects of weight loss. I've still got another 2 stone or 2 dress sizes to drop and I'll be happy. Not going back to eating any carbs though, apart from when I'm away and can't find anything else. But I can always have salads.

Weight loss has been particularly hard as I'm on hormone treatment following breast cancer and all the drugs I'm on have weight gain as a side effect. But losing carbs has always been far easier than restricting intake or counting calories. And it works!
    I can only suggest swimming and working out with weights now and then. Swimming is excellent for tightening up the skin and the odd few weights you can lift too.

If you start as the weight is leaving you, you will have better results than if you wait until you're at your desired level and then start.
    • Allotrope
    • By Allotrope 12th Mar 17, 1:55 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Allotrope
    Thanks for the diet doctor recommendation! I've been trying to motivate myself for a while but I like the recopes and am going to give the 2 week trial a go
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 13th Mar 17, 7:14 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I just use the free version, you still have access to all the recipes. I too just cut out the carbs like pop up pirate, I do use the free Myfitnesspal, just so I have a reference point.
    OCTOBER, £200=£106
    NOVEMBER £200-£40.29=£159.71-£40.86=£118.85,-£52.94=£65.91, -£74.29=£8.38
    • kah22
    • By kah22 22nd Mar 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,299 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    kah22
    Broke Down
    The cold weather and St Patrick's day broke me, the low carb diet has vanished. To be honest I think ll wait until the weather gets warmer

Here's hoping 😋

Kevin
    I used to be indecisive,but now I'm not so sure.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 22nd Mar 17, 6:13 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Struggling also, oh well Spring has sprung so hopeful of a better frame of mind.
    OCTOBER, £200=£106
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 16th Apr 17, 8:26 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    so very confused
    Anyone back on the wagon?
    I started a fortnight ago and have lost a size and feeling so much healthier, so I am very pleased. Spurred me on for the next fortnight......and the rest of my life probably!
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 16th Apr 17, 5:13 PM
    • 762 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    pamsdish
    Oh please help me, start everyday good intentions, then fail by evening, please give me more inspiration,
    I will try again tomorrow, promise, if I could just get the first few days in I am sure I will be fine.
    OCTOBER, £200=£106
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 16th Apr 17, 8:12 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    so very confused
    So true Pamdish, getting into it and over the first few days is soooo hard. Once I am there I am fine and enjoy it and certainly eat better.
    All I can say is keep trying
    I am just about to have steak, cauli, shallots and swede mash for dinner, a veritable feast!
    SCP # 034
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 17th Apr 17, 8:05 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I had some roast lamb yesterday, and will finish it off today, with sprouts. cauli mash and probably another veg.
    Chatting with my daughter yesterday and discussing how many courgette seeds she has sown, She was saying she prefers them roasted with paprika, as I have 3 in fridge will plan that for tomorrow with chicken breasts. I seem to cope better if I have my food planned and defrosted the day prior. Stops the grab on the impulse.
    OCTOBER, £200=£106
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 17th Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Oh please help me, start everyday good intentions, then fail by evening, please give me more inspiration,
    I will try again tomorrow, promise, if I could just get the first few days in I am sure I will be fine.
    Originally posted by pamsdish
    As suggested above, try to meal plan and stick with it.
    Make sure you have plenty of fat in the diet as it's the fat that will help reduce cravings, the need to pick and hunger.
    Losing carbs and sugar will also stop sugar cravings if you get into it.

Granted, some effort is needed to cook but having that meal plan helps with that.

We're having roast lamb today and will have leftovers.
    I'll use those leftovers to do lamb rogan josh curry and a spicy lamb dish on another night. I might have enough to do a shepards pie with root mash topping.

Have a look at some low carb recipe sites. There are some really nice looking things to make that aren't too difficult either.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Apr 17, 8:33 AM
    • 10,162 Posts
    • 57,169 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Can I come back please. I have fallen off the wagon again.......lots of problems and stress. I know that's no real excuse, only myself to blame. I have even put weight back on again. I really need to get a grip.

Pam you and me both, the days are fine but is in the evening that I really struggle.

So........if you will have me I am for coming back.

Be gentle with me.....
    • so very confused
    • By so very confused 17th Apr 17, 8:56 AM
    • 931 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    so very confused
    As suggested above, try to meal plan and stick with it.
    Make sure you have plenty of fat in the diet as it's the fat that will help reduce cravings, the need to pick and hunger.
    Losing carbs and sugar will also stop sugar cravings if you get into it.

Granted, some effort is needed to cook but having that meal plan helps with that.

We're having roast lamb today and will have leftovers.
    I'll use those leftovers to do lamb rogan josh curry and a spicy lamb dish on another night. I might have enough to do a shepards pie with root mash topping.

Have a look at some low carb recipe sites. There are some really nice looking things to make that aren't too difficult either.
    Originally posted by Pop Up Pirate
    Completely agree. For me at present meal planning for the next 10 days has been the difference. i don't always follow it sometimes swop days but having lots of choice makes the difference.
    Second looking up low carb recipes, lots are really easy options on line.
    Also found Lidl high protein rolls a godsend for when you want something different. Toasted with egg on or sandwiches brilliant. They do take some eating and not to everyone's taste. Don't have them everyday but at 8 carbs super.
    SCP # 034
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 17th Apr 17, 9:38 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    One problem with lidl high protein rolls.
    They contain soy

and soy is an anti-nutrient.

Also, when you add up the carbs in fruit and veg, having a roll from lidls would really bump up the numbers.

An orange is far more nutritious than a roll for example but you couldn't really eat both.
    • pamsdish
    • By pamsdish 17th Apr 17, 10:58 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    pamsdish
    I had some roast lamb yesterday, and will finish it off today, with sprouts. cauli mash and probably another veg.
    Chatting with my daughter yesterday and discussing how many courgette seeds she has sown, She was saying she prefers them roasted with paprika, as I have 3 in fridge will plan that for tomorrow with chicken breasts. I seem to cope better if I have my food planned and defrosted the day prior. Stops the grab on the impulse.
    Edited as I remember I have 6 HUGE langoustines to use, so chicken back in freezer as not started to defrost and langoustines now defrosting.
    Soo good to see you LL, we can do this, done it before, I have gained a good stone and half since beginning of Dec, I gave away all my big clothes as an incentive to keep my weight off, starting to struggle to find anything to fit again.
    OCTOBER, £200=£106
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Apr 17, 11:56 AM
    • 10,162 Posts
    • 57,169 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Pam........

Snap.....I had to go to Primarni and buy a cheap and cheerful "capsule wardrobe" to tide me over.

I really have to do this.

I am off on holiday in three weeks. I am really cross with myself because I haven't lost the weight I so desperately wanted to lose. It's going to involve a lot of walking and sightseeing and I am going to struggle.

Right now I feel like a right heffalump. I do not want to feel like this any more.

On the plus side my Physio sessions have finished and I have been given the all clear to join a gym. I am starting with swimming and Pilates and will add weights later. In the meantime I have bought a resistance band. I really need to build up muscle strength and also work on my back.

I have started a regime of additional vitamin support for my clapped out adrenal glands. I have been taking them properly for a few weeks now and I can see an improvement. The magnesium is helping me sleep better and my fibro pain is definitely easing. My blood sugars have stabilised.

I'm on the right track but I just need to up my game.

I had a lot of family issues to deal with after my fathers death. I won't bore you all and really it was no excuse to slip back into bad habits. But hey ........we're only human.

Had a good brunch of bacon, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes and will be doing a courgetti spag Bol thing for dinner. I have been through the freezer, plenty of fish and meat in there for this week so just need to top up on f&v. I will go through my cook books and visit a few websites tonight for ideas. I have a stash of coconut and almond flour so will try and do some paleo friendly baking this week.

After my holiday I will plant up some easy salads and vegetables. I'm also thinking of trying hydroponic gardening to grow through the winter. IKEA have got kits. You can start small with just one tray so again after the holiday my son and I are hoping to give it a go.

I am definitely in a better frame of mind now and ready to try again.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 17-04-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    • Pop Up Pirate
    • By Pop Up Pirate 17th Apr 17, 12:25 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    Pop Up Pirate
    Well done LL, keep it up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

35Posts Today

4,043Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin