Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 13th Feb 14, 11:14 PM
    • 1,909Posts
    • 4,667Thanks
    Angry Bear
    5:2 Diet (part II)
    • 13th Feb 14, 11:14 PM
    5:2 Diet (part II) 13th Feb 14 at 11:14 PM
    This is a continuation of the previous 5:2 Diet thread for all those who are following, or interested in, the 5:2 Diet and intermittent fasting.

The previous thread is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4115289

For those who don't know about the 5:2 Diet, the original Horizon study is linked here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

The principle being that 2 days a week you eat a restricted calorie diet (500 for women, 600 for men). On the remaining 5 days you eat normally - but heathily.

Intermittent fasting, including the 5:2, has only really been studied for a couple of years so long-term health impacts aren't fully know but a number of studies so far suggest that eating this way can have significant health benefits including, but not restricted to, weight loss.

In the last year it seems like the 5:2 way of eating has become very widespread - so feel free to discuss, question or join in and record your progress .
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
Page 36
    • jellie
    • By jellie 28th Nov 17, 9:51 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    jellie
    Just started doing 5:2.

Lost 1lb in my first week, which I am very happy with :-)

Finding the fast days quite easy, saving my calories until evening meal, as I find the more I eat the more I want to eat, so spreading my food out throughout the day would just make me want to eat more.
    Originally posted by Hodgepodge
    I've been following 5:2 for a year, losing an average of 1lb a week. I also don't eat until the evening on fast days, but do have milk throughout the day for my essential must-have cups of tea (90 cals).

I found I also needed to calorie count on non-fast days (use myfitnesspal app), otherwise I would have just stuffed my face with bread, cheese and chocolate. Wouldn't do that now, but still calorie count just be on the safe side.

Good luck with your weight loss journey.
    • Hodgepodge
    • By Hodgepodge 4th Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hodgepodge
    The 5:2 Horizon programme is available again on BBC iPlayer.
    • Hodgepodge
    • By Hodgepodge 5th Dec 17, 12:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hodgepodge
    Week 3 and 3lbs lost so far.

I struggle to lose weight, so glad this is working for me.

Just dipped under the stone I have been at for far too long...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter