Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 13th Feb 14, 11:14 PM
    • 1,909Posts
    • 4,667Thanks
    Angry Bear
    5:2 Diet (part II)
    • 13th Feb 14, 11:14 PM
    5:2 Diet (part II) 13th Feb 14 at 11:14 PM
    This is a continuation of the previous 5:2 Diet thread for all those who are following, or interested in, the 5:2 Diet and intermittent fasting.

The previous thread is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4115289

For those who don't know about the 5:2 Diet, the original Horizon study is linked here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

The principle being that 2 days a week you eat a restricted calorie diet (500 for women, 600 for men). On the remaining 5 days you eat normally - but heathily.

Intermittent fasting, including the 5:2, has only really been studied for a couple of years so long-term health impacts aren't fully know but a number of studies so far suggest that eating this way can have significant health benefits including, but not restricted to, weight loss.

In the last year it seems like the 5:2 way of eating has become very widespread - so feel free to discuss, question or join in and record your progress .
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
Page 35
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 11th Nov 16, 12:13 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    ibizafan
    Been doing 4:3 for three weeks now and found it easy. We're off to Tenerife on Tuesday for two weeks all inclusive, and I'm determined to try not to pig out!
    • Missli
    • By Missli 15th Nov 16, 2:14 PM
    • 7,058 Posts
    • 16,608 Thanks
    Missli
    Calorie counting went out the window this weekend, and I had pizza. Good news is I haven't out any back on, so healthy eating again this week!

Today I've just had a nut butter sandwich, plus an apple and some fresh basil and tomato soup for lunch. I may have a mushroom omelette later.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Dec 16, 7:10 PM
    • 23,110 Posts
    • 59,823 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The thread has gone very quiet. I'm wondering how everyone is doing.

I'm maintaining with no problems. Still not eating breakfast, but allowing myself the odd glass of wine and the odd carb.

OH is still losing weight, a stone from his target.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 06-12-2016 at 7:39 PM.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 3rd Jan 17, 4:14 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I'm back. Yawn yawn.

Have done this diet successfully twice and lost a stone, but I'm not very good at maintaining and just seem to lose the plot.

I don't have a lot to lose. I am 10st 2lb at the moment and feel that 9st is a good weight for me. It's just as soon as I get there and no more weight comes off, I think, ah, what's the point and lose it!

I'm hoping to lose 1lb a week, so 16 weeks till I am there. We shall see.

My fast days are Mon and Thurs and I cope quite well on these days as I am at work and my mother cooks for my children.

As yesterday was a Bank Hol, I have swapped yesterday to today and am fasting today.

So far had a coffee (26) and a can of diet coke (1).

Dinner at 6pm will be a micro meal (chicken chow mein at 331) and a whole heap of peppers and mushrooms.

Then maybe a little biscuit (I'm out of ww yogs), but not sure how much ginger nuts are.

Then options (38) before bed.

I'm also toying with 16:8 on the days that I'm not fasting, but I will go with the flow with these, i.e. if I'm hungry, I will eat, otherwise I will binge. It worked yesterday. I got to lunch and just didn't feel like eating. Must get in the mindframe of only eating when hungry!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - £180,813.85
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 3rd Jan 17, 10:35 PM
    • 4,225 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    bigfreddiel
    All these fads are a total waste of time.

Yes you'll lose weight.

Great you think, it's working, so you stop the fad diet

Next thing you know you're even fatter than before.

So it's time to try another fad diet.

STOP!

Just learn to eat less, get to know what a sensible portion size is

Eat breakfast

Cook from fresh

Cut out all sugar

Cut out all so called low sugar foods or health bars and snacks

Cut out all low fat foods, they're all loaded with sugar

Stop snacking

Stop fizzy drinks

Do lots of walking, at least 40mins per day or more

So once you get your natural diet sorted you can get on with your life, lighter and healthier

Cheers fj
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 4th Jan 17, 10:00 AM
    • 28,639 Posts
    • 72,963 Thanks
    Mojisola
    All these fads are a total waste of time.

Yes you'll lose weight.

Great you think, it's working, so you stop the fad diet
    Originally posted by bigfreddiel
    The 5:2 way of eating isn't a diet - it's a way of maintaining health and weight. Many people have been using it for years.

It's flexible in that you can shift to 4:3 if weight has started to creep on or reduce to 6:1 if you just want the other benefits.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 4th Jan 17, 1:33 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    ibizafan
    Bigfreddiel, if you'd watched the original Horizon programme on intermittent fasting, you'd have realised that it isn't just about losing weight, but about other health benefits associated with it. Michael Mosley not only lost weight, but lowered his cholesterol and reversed his pre diabetic condition. My cholesterol level has also lowered since starting 5:2. All I can say is that it works for me, and I'd rather follow this way of eating. As a bonus, it is also the most successful way of losing weight that I have ever tried and it is now a way of life.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 9th Jan 17, 12:32 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Only lost a lb this week which I am a little disappointed about, but onwards and upwards. Maybe I did over indulge on my non fast days, but a loss is a loss and it's the fact that I can eat what I want that will make this diet sustainable.

So 15lb left to go.

Today's menu is:-

Coffee (26)
    Diet Coke (1)
    WW Sausage and Mash (294)
    ...g Mushrooms
    ...g Brussels Sprouts
    WW Yog (45)
    Option (34)

I'll work out the vegetables when I am cooking as it depends on how much I have.

Have a headache today which might be a result of the diet, but I will persevere.
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Jan 17, 3:49 PM
    • 23,110 Posts
    • 59,823 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The 5:2 way of eating isn't a diet - it's a way of maintaining health and weight. Many people have been using it for years.

It's flexible in that you can shift to 4:3 if weight has started to creep on or reduce to 6:1 if you just want the other benefits.
    Originally posted by Mojisola

Absolutely!

Big Freddie has been telling us how to lose weight for so long, he should have to change his name.

I lost slowly, a pound a week between 25th April and mid September when I hit my target of 9st 7lbs. I've lost another 5 lbs just because my appetite and tastes have changed. I never eat breakfast now, unless paid for in an hotel! So I'm basically doing 16-8, without depriving myself.

OH has lost 3stone, has not gained over Christmas and is looking and feeling great. It's quite expensive on new clothes, mind!

20 years ago I did the F Plan. It was good, but making 'fibre fill' cereal became a drag. I also could not stop losing weight, as there was no maintenance strategy.

• pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 12th Jan 17, 3:40 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Another fast day for me and feeling okay at almost 4pm as I didn't have anything to drink last night which usually helps to scupper a fast.

Today's menu is:-

Coffee (26)
    Diet Coke (1)
    WW Sausage and Mash (294) (Didn't have this on Monday, had a turkey dinner instead)
    ...g Mushrooms
    ...g Peppers
    ...g Brussels Sprouts (if I have enough cals left over for these)
    WW Yog (45)
    Option (40)

I'll work out the vegetables when I am cooking as it depends on how much I have.
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 16th Jan 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3,691 Posts
    • 4,400 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I only lost 3oz this week, but I think I know where I'm going wrong

On my non fast days, I have been going way over, like over 2,000 calories and more.

But I must admit, it didn't feel like I was eating a lot. Ooops. Glad I started counting calories on my non fast days though as it may help me to see where I am going wrong.

Today is another fast day. Same plan as normal. Have eaten nothing today, but had a coffee and a Diet Coke.

My main meal tonight will be a micro meal (of which I have six, each different) between 270 - 337 calories.

With mushrooms and peppers for veg.

WW yogurt

Options or a cup of tea before bed.
    Equity - £219,186.15
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 16th Jan 17, 6:53 PM
    • 2,455 Posts
    • 3,516 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    OH has decided to try to 5:2 diet - good for him, and I fully support him.

Now, his fast days are also days when he works and doesn't get in until between 6:30 and 7:00 in the evening, so I'll be sorting the food out for him. I've never needed to count a calorie in my life, but I eat a very healthy diet and I'm happy that I know enough about nutrition to give him good food to eat. BUT I'm concerned that he'll be going over the recommended 600 calories for his fast days.

He has a glass of fresh orange at breakfast, a salad at lunchtime (lettuce, cucumber, grated carrot, tomato, red pepper, a handful of almonds and either a boiled egg or some cooked meat, dressed with some herbs and lime juice) - my question is what to provide for the evening meal. Last week I gave him sea bass on a bed of kale one day, and just a very small portion of what I was having (home-made lasagne) with salad the other.

More suggestions gratefully received!!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Jan 17, 9:15 PM
    • 23,110 Posts
    • 59,823 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Cut the orange juice! He'll just feel hungry. Have a scrambled egg. Orange juice is sugar and empty calories, eat the satsumas instead, both for vitamin C and for the time peeling and depithing them.

My advice, after losing 2st and OH losing 3, is to buy Mimi's book and use her recipes. I'd recommend reading the original book by Michael Mosley.

I'm maintaining now, usually just by eating my first meal around 1pm, usually porridge. Once into it, we found that our appetites had shrunk, like our bellies, and we find it quite easy.

• PJ1
    • By PJ1 11th Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Hello,
    I'm interested in joining this board but it doesn't appear to have been used since January this year, over 8 months ago! Is it no longer viable, is there a continuation of the thread elsewhere or has everyone just got bored and toddled off to other threads?
    I'm doing 5:2 and could really use some help and support.
    Hello?
    • PJ1
    • By PJ1 11th Oct 17, 3:58 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    PJ1
    Hello,
    I'm interested in joining this board but it doesn't appear to have been used since January this year, over 8 months ago! Is it no longer viable, is there a continuation of the thread elsewhere or has everyone just got bored and toddled off to other threads?
    I'm doing 5:2 and could really use some help and support.
    Hello?
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 23,110 Posts
    • 59,823 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I'm still happily maintaining my weight loss, using Michael Mosley's principles.

I do not want to lose anymore, so I do 16:8 every day, generally that means eating at around 1 pm. I still have the occasional 500 cal day if I need it. I weigh every day, with a 3 lb wriggle room.

Michael Mosley has a web site for IF, 5:2 with a good, supportive forum which you would find helpful, I'm sure.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 13,254 Posts
    • 17,469 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I'm back on it...sort of. This week I managed get a couple of pounds inside the healthy weight band on the NHS BMI calculator.

I find that I need do 4:3 rather than 5:2 though if I want to lose weight at anything but a glacial rate.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 11-10-2017 at 5:39 PM.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 11th Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 800 Thanks
    ibizafan
    I follow the 5:2 way of eating permanently, unless I am away on holiday. I also do 4:3 if necessary. I still find it a really easy way of eating to keep to a healthy weight.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    • 23,110 Posts
    • 59,823 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I follow the 5:2 way of eating permanently, unless I am away on holiday. I also do 4:3 if necessary. I still find it a really easy way of eating to keep to a healthy weight.
    Originally posted by ibizafan

Don't you find that you lose rather than maintain? Or do you eat quite a lot on non fast days?

We've just found that our appetites have changed so much that our portions are now much smaller.

• Hodgepodge
    • By Hodgepodge 28th Nov 17, 12:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hodgepodge
    Just started doing 5:2.

Lost 1lb in my first week, which I am very happy with :-)

Finding the fast days quite easy, saving my calories until evening meal, as I find the more I eat the more I want to eat, so spreading my food out throughout the day would just make me want to eat more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,982Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter