Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 13th Feb 14, 11:14 PM
    • 1,792Posts
    • 4,255Thanks
    Angry Bear
    5:2 Diet (part II)
    • 13th Feb 14, 11:14 PM
    5:2 Diet (part II) 13th Feb 14 at 11:14 PM
    This is a continuation of the previous 5:2 Diet thread for all those who are following, or interested in, the 5:2 Diet and intermittent fasting.

The previous thread is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4115289

For those who don't know about the 5:2 Diet, the original Horizon study is linked here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

The principle being that 2 days a week you eat a restricted calorie diet (500 for women, 600 for men). On the remaining 5 days you eat normally - but heathily.

Intermittent fasting, including the 5:2, has only really been studied for a couple of years so long-term health impacts aren't fully know but a number of studies so far suggest that eating this way can have significant health benefits including, but not restricted to, weight loss.

In the last year it seems like the 5:2 way of eating has become very widespread - so feel free to discuss, question or join in and record your progress .
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
Page 33
    • fireblade28
    • By fireblade28 6th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    fireblade28
    I like the fasts, just sometimes find them hard as I do without eating all day until 6pm when I have a ready meal with a heap of vegetables.

I like the idea of detoxing my water and just drinking water as it makes me feel I am not just filling my body with parp.

I'm hoping that this time when I get down to my target of 9st (hopefully by Xmas), that I won't lose motivation. As if the scales aren't going down anymore, I kinda think, What's the point? Terrible way to think I know. It's not like it can keep going down to 0!

I just find maintaining harder than losing.
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    Scales are terrible measures as you know. Use the mirror or take pictures every week.

If you want to suppress appetite I find coffee works well.

You could always just eat something in the morning and then eat less in the evening if you are struggling. It really won't make any difference.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Oct 16, 3:25 PM
    • 20,684 Posts
    • 52,637 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Im not trying to be an !!!! but the book is called the 5:2 diet so people are gonna think it is a diet that they do for a while and then stop.

It is just missing meals to reduce number of calories. Its nothing new. Just good marketing from whoever wrote it.
    Originally posted by fireblade28

Indeed, that's what sold it. However, reading the rational behind Michael Mosley's ideas and the research, it's clear that intermittent fasting is a good way to live. The weight loss is down to insulin management as well as simple reduction in calories.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 6th Oct 16, 3:31 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,039 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Im not trying to be an !!!! but the book is called the 5:2 diet so people are gonna think it is a diet that they do for a while and then stop.

It is just missing meals to reduce number of calories. Its nothing new. Just good marketing from whoever wrote it.
    Originally posted by fireblade28
    I agree. It's exactly what I do. I do it for about three months, stop for one reason or other, then put a stone on in 6 weeks.

But I still like the "diet" and find it the diet that I can sustain more easily than the others. I like that tomorrow I will be able to have some pizza and wine, whereas on a proper diet, you feel as though you can't have anything bad!

Damn. Why did I start thinking about pizza and wine on a fast day?!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £386,000
    Mortgages (3rd November2016) - £188,106.63
    Equity - £197,893.37
    • stargirl90
    • By stargirl90 6th Oct 16, 3:35 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 11,673 Thanks
    stargirl90
    Hi everyone, I started the 5:2 this week so just wanted to add my voice to this thread, would be nice to feel like I'm not the only one in the world doing it!

So far I've done one fast day (Tuesday) which I found surprisingly easy. I bought a box of reduced LighterLife fast chocolate shakes from Superdrug so I had two of those (lunch and dinner), plus one coffee and a few coconut chunks as a mid afternoon snack - that took me to 600 calories (I know I should be sticking to 500 as a female, but I'm on my feet and active all day at work and walk a mile there and back every day, so I think I'll get away with 600!)

My next fast day will be tomorrow.

Has anyone else here tried the LL Fast shakes? I don't think I'll buy them again at £8ish a box (I got them for £1.49 because they go out of date soon!) but I thought they tasted pretty decent and filled me up.

I'm a vegetarian and wondering what I'll do for my meals so any inspiration would be awesome - I'm going to sit and read through this thread properly in a bit for ideas! I also love to graze at work so will need to break that habit on fast days.

Aiming to do this long term and lose 1lb a week - I've gained a stone since the start of the year and I want that gone!

• pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 6th Oct 16, 4:21 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,039 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Good luck with the diet. I'm not sure about vegetarian meals, but my tips would be one meal in the evening (I look forward to it all day!) which is a micromeal as I can't be doing with being in the kitchen too much on a fast day.

I also have a pile of veggies with my dinner and then a options hot choc before bed (which is usually early as I'm hungry).
    Equity - £197,893.37
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Oct 16, 7:47 PM
    • 20,684 Posts
    • 52,637 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I agree. It's exactly what I do. I do it for about three months, stop for one reason or other, then put a stone on in 6 weeks.

But I still like the "diet" and find it the diet that I can sustain more easily than the others. I like that tomorrow I will be able to have some pizza and wine, whereas on a proper diet, you feel as though you can't have anything bad!

Damn. Why did I start thinking about pizza and wine on a fast day?!
    Originally posted by pollyanna24

This is the USP of the plan. If you 'can't' have it today, you know you can tomorrow . By tomorrow you often don't want it.

However, I quite often have half a thin pizza, laden with Mediterranean vegetables with a salad. I did have a glass of wine when out.

Now that I'm maintaining I will have the odd glass at home. Was exhausted yesterday after gloss painting in the dining room and very tempted to open a bottle, but resisted.

I've been out to lunch at a U3A session today - a so-called light bite, but it was generous, so I've just had an apple. As said, my appetite is much less.

• Walcott
    • By Walcott 7th Oct 16, 11:56 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    Walcott
    I managed my three fast days OK this week. For Wednesday and Thursday decided I was going to try something different. Last night I went with Linda McCartney sausages in a pasta salad which went well. Wednesday however was a disaster. I tried the Quorn Biryani which is meant to be dead easy as it is made in the microwave except I followed everything in the instructions and it wasn't cooked!
    • stargirl90
    • By stargirl90 8th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 11,673 Thanks
    stargirl90
    Successful second fast day yesterday. I am loving this plan! Like you guys have said, it's much easier getting through the day knowing you can have whatever you want the next day - although I've woken up this morning feeling like I still want to be mindful of my eating and not ruin my hard work.

Early days but I think this might just be the plan for me, I've always been a 'part-time dieter' anyway and when I fell off the wagon I always fell hard, but I don't see that being a problem with 5:2 because there's always ~tomorrow~.

I noticed yesterday evening I felt exhausted though, my body felt heavy and weak. It was fine because I had nowhere to go after work but I definitely wouldn't fast on a busy day.

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 8th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 20,684 Posts
    • 52,637 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I'm retired, so not tested a day at work while fasting. However, I find it is much easier to keep busy on a fast day.

Our decorating should have helped, except that not having access to a kitchen made it difficult.

• Walcott
    • By Walcott 10th Oct 16, 9:15 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    Walcott
    4:3 again this week. Fast days will be Monday, Wednesday and Thursday
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 10th Oct 16, 2:55 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,039 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Put on 1lb 9oz this week. So annoyed, but think I over indulged on my non fast days.

I'm determined not to be a slave to the scales and although I was angry at myself, if I just go, oh sod it and give up, next week, I will be a lb heavier, whereas if I get back on it, I could (should) be 1lb lighter.

I had initially wanted to lose 16lb in 16weeks, and now I'm off target due to this week's gain.

So officially I have lost 2lb 15oz in 5weeks which is pathetic.

Today's plan is much the same as my other fast days:-

B - Coffee
    D - Micromeal with veggies
    S - Options.

And lots of water.
    Equity - £197,893.37
    • stargirl90
    • By stargirl90 11th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 11,673 Thanks
    stargirl90
    Fast #3 complete! I lost 4 1/2 lbs last week which I was very pleased with. Feeling very positive about the plan in general too

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 20,684 Posts
    • 52,637 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I'm on a city break in Bath this week. Doing well in food, but had a few hours to waste today, so a friend and I shared a bottle of wine.

Will be glad to get back to routine.

• pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 13th Oct 16, 12:16 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,039 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Another fast day for me. I've managed to not weigh myself since Monday (which is my official day).

I am still doing the fasts religiously, but I have decided not to count on non fast days.

I want it to be a WoE so that I just "forget" about food for two days, but eat normally on the other days, but I think I was just going a bit over the top on my non fast days.

And I'm cutting down on alcohol which is always good for the weight.

Yesterday, I didn't snack at all, but then I'm not usually a snacker, but I did have a pastry for my pudding, but I didn't have any alcohol. I'll save the wine for tomorrow evening!
    Equity - £197,893.37
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 14th Oct 16, 9:28 AM
    • 20,684 Posts
    • 52,637 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Got home at 8pm last night. Delighted to report that I put on the vast amount of 8oz over the trip.

Sensible, but enjoyable choices at breakfast and dinner. Shared a light lunch with OH and enjoyed my wine.

We've just got used to two meals a day and have no carb addiction anymore.

• pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 18th Oct 16, 3:02 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,039 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I lost 11oz this week. Not great, but at least it's weight off, rather than on.

Didn't fast yesterday as I only worked half day and I had to feed my kids dinner (I know that sounds bad, but normally my mum feeds them, haha) and so I am fasting today when it is easier to resist food.

I'm not going to fast next week, but I am going to try and not go completely mad because I'm not.

I've stopped counting calories on non fast days as I was getting too obsessive about it all.

My fast days this week are Tuesday and Thursday.

Today I have had a coffee - 26.

Then, when I get in, I will have a microwave meal (chicken chow mein) with mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes.

Then an options for pudding before I go to bed.
    Equity - £197,893.37
    • bigfreddiel
    • By bigfreddiel 18th Oct 16, 6:27 PM
    • 4,075 Posts
    • 1,864 Thanks
    bigfreddiel
    I don't think I've ever read such a load of old twaddle!

Top tip to lose weight eat anything you like but LESS!

It really is that simple.

fj
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 19th Oct 16, 2:10 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 4,039 Thanks
    pollyanna24

fj
    Originally posted by bigfreddiel
    Thanks for your input.

If your tip is to eat less, then what do you think people are doing when they fast for two days a week?
    Equity - £197,893.37
    • stargirl90
    • By stargirl90 19th Oct 16, 9:48 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 11,673 Thanks
    stargirl90

fj
    "Top tip" for you - there's more to the 5:2 plan than weight loss.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 19th Oct 16, 10:32 PM
    • 11,451 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Gloomendoom

fj
    Top tip: Sit back and have a think about how the 5:2 "diet" works.

I'll give you a clue: You lose weight by eating anything you like, but LESS of it. It really is that simple.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

718Posts Today

4,252Users online

Martin's Twitter