Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 13th Feb 14, 11:14 PM
    • 1,777Posts
    • 4,168Thanks
    Angry Bear
    5:2 Diet (part II)
    • 13th Feb 14, 11:14 PM
    5:2 Diet (part II) 13th Feb 14 at 11:14 PM
    This is a continuation of the previous 5:2 Diet thread for all those who are following, or interested in, the 5:2 Diet and intermittent fasting.

The previous thread is here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4115289

For those who don't know about the 5:2 Diet, the original Horizon study is linked here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

The principle being that 2 days a week you eat a restricted calorie diet (500 for women, 600 for men). On the remaining 5 days you eat normally - but heathily.

Intermittent fasting, including the 5:2, has only really been studied for a couple of years so long-term health impacts aren't fully know but a number of studies so far suggest that eating this way can have significant health benefits including, but not restricted to, weight loss.

In the last year it seems like the 5:2 way of eating has become very widespread - so feel free to discuss, question or join in and record your progress .
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
Page 32
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Sep 16, 1:46 PM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 50,951 Thanks
    pollypenny
    That sounds good. I certainly tried to have a 6:1 life, but rate,y succeeded - apart from those long holidays that teachers are meant to have.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Fusspot
    • By Fusspot 15th Sep 16, 9:57 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    Fusspot
    Hi, I am interested in this too. I have started this diet along with a friend but I am finding it a bit difficult and confusing though I want to stick with it. I am not overweight but my weight goes on my stomach and I would like to reduce this and do the diet for health benefits also. The diet states you can eat normally on non fasting days, does this mean you can eat sweet things and basically what you want or eat these on a reduced level? Also what do you eat and how often on your fast days, what drinks do you have? I love my milky coffees, don't like tea and don't drink much water. So far I have done two fasting days and have felt very weak and off colour but I have been working at the time, the first day I ate nothing at all until teatime, though I did have drinks, so I think I need to eat more throughout the day but how often? Also I do like to eat out and its part of my social life so as long as I do my two fast days per week I assume its OK to eat out and just enjoy whats on the menu? Also how do you go on during holidays and Christmas? Sorry for the all the questions by the way.
    • Angry Bear
    • By Angry Bear 15th Sep 16, 11:17 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    Angry Bear
    Hi, I am interested in this too. I have started this diet along with a friend but I am finding it a bit difficult and confusing though I want to stick with it. I am not overweight but my weight goes on my stomach and I would like to reduce this and do the diet for health benefits also.
    Originally posted by Fusspot
    Let's see if I can answer a few questions ...
    The diet states you can eat normally on non fasting days, does this mean you can eat sweet things and basically what you want or eat these on a reduced level?
    Technically, you can eat what you want. However, if you're massively over-eating bad things on your non-fast days then you won't lose weight. Ideally you should be eating a normal, healthy, balanced diet on non-fast days (i.e. some treats, but mostly good food).
    Also what do you eat and how often on your fast days, what drinks do you have? I love my milky coffees, don't like tea and don't drink much water.
    Everyone varies, experiment a bit and see what works for you. I tend to have one "meal" late afternoon. I drink lemon tea or black coffee and lots of water.
    Be aware that milk has quite a bit of calories so you "milky" coffees will be eating into your allowance. Also, you'd be surprised how much liquid you get from food on your normal days, so you will probably suffer if you're not drinking enough water to replace this on your fast days.
    So far I have done two fasting days and have felt very weak and off colour but I have been working at the time, the first day I ate nothing at all until teatime, though I did have drinks, so I think I need to eat more throughout the day but how often?
    We (modern Brits) are generally well-fed enough that missing a couple of meals should NOT make us feel weak and off-colour. Maybe you have blood-sugar issues, but I'd bet that this is either psychological or (more likely) down to not enough water.
    Also I do like to eat out and its part of my social life so as long as I do my two fast days per week I assume its OK to eat out and just enjoy whats on the menu?
    As above, fine as long as you don't go mad. If you think "oh, but I fasted on Monday" then eat a 3000-calorie meal out Tuesday-Friday, then you will still put on weight. Just be sensible and balanced about it.
    Also how do you go on during holidays and Christmas? Sorry for the all the questions by the way.
    I will sometimes move my fast days to accommodate events (like Christmas) and don't fast when I'm on holiday. But I know plenty of other people still fast when they are on holiday and just choose their meals carefully.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Sep 16, 9:17 AM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 50,951 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We haven't crossed the Christmas bridge yet, but we did very well on our recent holiday to America.

As I do at home, I did without breakfast, had a very light lunch, usually a starter. A normal evening meal, but no dessert. Usual wine. I didn't put on a pound.

We still eat out once a week. That's easy, too as we've gone off potatoes and chips.

You'll find that your appetite will reduce. We now eat far less than we used. In fact, OH was still cooking for four, so our portions had crept up.

I would recommend buying the original Fast Diet 5:2 book by Michael Mosley and follow his reasoning and advice.

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 22nd Sep 16, 8:45 AM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 50,951 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Reached my target of 9st 7lbs today, in spite of relaxing a little this week. I'm now aiming to maintain between 9:7 and 9:10 so that I can enjoy a couple of glasses of wine each week and not beat myself up for a dessert when eating out.

Actually, the best thing about intermittent fasting is that it trains you to have a considerably smaller appetite.

• Money maker
    • By Money maker 22nd Sep 16, 11:57 AM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 10,480 Thanks
    Money maker
    Well done pollypenny, it's been interesting following this thread.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 22nd Sep 16, 4:10 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    ibizafan
    What works for me is doing the two fasting days, three further days of eating fairly carefully, and two days (weekend) of being more relaxed. I agree that eating too much on the other days will not result in losing weight. Also, on fasting days, I can go to the gym and also walk five miles in my job in a restaurant for 6 hours, and don't feel any effects. Alas, unlike Pollypenny, I have just come back from two weeks in the USA and put on some pounds, so it's straight back on the regime next week. I am not disciplined enough to do 5:2 on holiday!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 22nd Sep 16, 6:07 PM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 50,951 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We didn't consciously follow 5:2 while on our tour. However, there were only a few breakfasts included and lunches on the road were never appetising so it was easy.

We had 18 days at DS's place, so were careful then. And I was up and down stairs with tea, toast and ice packs for the patient!

• pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 28th Sep 16, 1:19 PM
    • 3,423 Posts
    • 3,957 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    I lost another lb this week, so 13lb in total, but for some reason just not feeling it this week. I do weigh every day (I know, I know) and 4lb have mysteriously appeared which isn't helping my motivation.

But I am sticking to the fasts still and I am going away next Wednesday. To fit in two fasts next week, I am going to do a B2B on Monday and Tuesday and hoping the thought of my lovely all inclusive holiday on Wednesday will help me stick to it.

I will miss one fast (the following Monday) overall, but hoping that by it only being one that I will carry on the fasting after my holiday (as it all went wrong last time!).
    Originally posted by pollyanna24
    I'm back. I did go off the diet for 6weeks and put on everything that I had lost, so yes I am annoyed at myself. Life does get in the way sometimes, but why could I have had a week's blip instead of losing the plot for 6weeks.

This is Week 4 of me being back on track and my plan is to lost 1lb per week until NYE (wedding to go) so had 16lbs to lose. Have so far lost 2lb 14loz (so already off track) and going to keep going.

Only 13lb 2oz to go to 9stone.

What made me lose the plot? The holiday I guess (all inclusive so went all out) and then when I came back my girls went on a three hol with their dad and I spent my time drinking and eating. Ho hum. Eventually got back into it when they went to school on 5th September.

I'm very strict with myself when I'm on track. I have a mini break away during half term when I have decided not to fast, but my problem will be getting back to it when we get back.

I don't seem to do things by halves. If I'm off the diet, I'm really off it!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £386,000
    Mortgages (3rd September 2016) - £189,865.18
    Equity - £196,134.82
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 28th Sep 16, 2:53 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 580 Thanks
    ibizafan
    Pollyanna, I'm exactly the same. If I go on an all inclusive holiday, I lack the willpower to eat sensibly, let alone sparingly, although I don't go over the top with alcohol. I arrived back from the USA last Wednesday, but I've only got back on track this week, whereas I could have made a start last week! Anyway, the main thing is that I'm back in the habit, so bring it on.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 28th Sep 16, 5:03 PM
    • 20,058 Posts
    • 50,951 Thanks
    pollypenny
    We're having work done and the kitchen is out of action, so we've eaten out! It's getting boring. We've both been sensible, apart from wine!

We should have had a functioning kitchen last night, but the damn plumber broke the tap. I ordered a new one, which he promised to fit today.

Guess what - he's not coming!

Weigh day tomorrow. As long as I am between 9.7 and 9.10 I'll be happy.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,880Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin