Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 517
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 24th Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Whizzy I hope everything is fine tomorrow. I believe 37 weeks is classed as full term so I doubt there would be any whisking away of the baby. Having had my ante-natal class at the weekend when they focused a lot on labour, some of the trick seems to be staying calm and happy (release of oxytocin helps things along). Easier said than done even without the worry about the baby and induction but I'm sure it'll be fine for you.

I'm being sent for a growth scan tomorrow as the measurement the midwife took on Monday is the same as it was 2 weeks ago so hopefully the measurement was just wrong but we'll see. Trying not to worry or think on it too much.
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2017 #85 £2633.7/£2500 12K IN 17 #85 £5500/£12000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • dramarama
    • By dramarama 24th Oct 17, 7:03 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    dramarama
    Whizzybee, I hope things go ok for you and your baby. I'm on the other end of the growth scan/measuring nightmare in that we've gone from having a very smooth pregnancy to being told we're expecting a VERY big baby!

I can't help but think I've done something wrong. We had a growth scan on Friday, baby is healthy but big. They ran through some of the options, looks like assisted delivery and possible induction. I can't help but think the dates may be wrong and we're actually a couple of weeks ahead of our due date...can this happen?!

So lots of midwife & hospital visits as well as growth scans on the horizon.

Hope all the mums/parents to be are doing well.
    Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017

Frugal & thrifty as much as possible.
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 25th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    Good luck for your appointment today whizzybee. Hope all goes well, even if the outcome is induction. If they do need to go ahead with that just think of it as them doing the best they can for baby. Sometimes these things just happen so try not to beat yourself up. I'm sure we all had times, particularly in early pregnancy, where we could have eaten better. I know I could (almost constant eating of ginger nuts got me through the early nausea).

As Twentysomethinggirl said 37 weeks is classed as full term, it's the point at which they have no qualms about homebirths, so try not to worry too much about baby being whisked away.

Twentysomethinggirl, hope your growth scan goes well today as well. I was measured twice at my appointment this week and midwife got 2 different measurements, as she did the measurement, then checked position, heartbeat etc and there was a lot of movement while that was going on so she redid the measurement as it was slighty out, so it can sometimes depend on position etc.

Same to you dramarama about not beating yourself up. Some babies are bigger. That's why there are centiles after all. Also best to be prepared for the possibility and know what to expect, than find out in labour and it leading to an emergency situation.

I've been a bit worried about size as measuring above 90th centile throughout, but my midwife hasn't seemed concerned at all, and said to ignore the growth chart as long as they are following the curve.
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 25th Oct 17, 5:14 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    whizzybee
    Thanks all for the kind words. No need to induce me so I may have a small baby but one that is getting all it needs through the placenta so now to play the waiting game. Still have a growth scan next Fri. I would also say the measurements are a bit of a dark art sometimes especially when it comes to first baby. So though my baby might be a bit small, its getting the nutrients, moving round fine and its head, stomach etc are still growing fine and with the range. Anecdotally couple of my friends were induced early because of weight concerns but they gave birth to 7+ pounders. I'm glad that the hospital is being so attentive and playing safe. I cannot fault any of the care I have had so far and it sounds like everyone else is being looked after as well . I'm just keeping half an eye on movements as per usual and waiting for when labour starts (or not!)
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 27th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    Glad all was well with the doppler whizzybee and baby is getting all they need from you. Good that they are taking good care of you.

I too am monitoring movements closely, (hate it when I wake up in the night as I often struggle to get back to sleep until I've felt something) and waiting....
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 27th Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    cats2012
    Whizzybee just delurking to say really don't worry about weight. My little girl was 9 days overdue and weighed 5lb 9oz. No real reason why. That put her on 5th centile for weight and she has a few extra checks but all was fine and she's piled weight on since - she's now 51st centile at 7 months.

For some reason she just didn't want to grow more in mummy's tummy but has made up for it in the big wide world!!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 27th Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    whizzybee
    Thank you cats for the reassurance. It was just one doctor who put the fear of god into me but the midwives I've seen haven't been worried at all.

Saver-j I am exactly the same! I now won't go back to sleep until I've felt something. I've only just got into the rhythm of my baby's movements but it is definitely more active in the evening and night. I hope this does not translate into the real world!
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 30th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Timeflies
    I'd reiterate the point about some babies will always be big and some small. My first was 10.5lb and absolutely fine 1 in 5 babies will always be in the top or bottom ten centiles, somebody has to be! It's good that babies that may be big or small get the extra attention, so please be reassured.

We have possibly our last growth scan this week for baby, who is biggish (98% centile belly) but not outrageously big, I don't think, but we can't tell with any real accuracy til they arrive.

Everyone got their hospital bag packed? I'm about halfway there and will try and get it sorted this week. That and making the room up for my parents to stay and look after our toddler when we go into hospital, and I'll be much more relaxed!
    • dramarama
    • By dramarama 31st Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    dramarama
    Thanks Timeflies for the words of wisdom. I am just trying to stay calm and positive as possible.

Trying to rest and relax at home as much as possible before life changes. Hospital bag is packed...just in case!

Hope everyone on here is well and have a great day
    Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017

• saver-j
    • By saver-j 31st Oct 17, 9:39 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    I started on my bags around 35 weeks, did baby's first as that seemed easiest. I finished them around 37-38 weeks once I'd started my leave. Since then they've been repacked once to double check everything's in there as I lost the list I'd ticked everything off and I was worried I'd missed something. Looking at repacking them again in the next couple of days as I'll be booked in for induction at the end of the week and I probably don't have enough to wear or things to do if I'm in for a few days before things kick off, as they were packed with the mindset I'd do most of my labouring at home and only need things for during and after.
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 31st Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    whizzybee
    Bag has been packed for a couple of weeks. Hubby hasn't packed anything for himself and we also need to do a snack shop as I can't see me wanting to eat proper food during labour. 38 weeks now, I've achieved a few bits that have been outstanding for a few weeks including clearing the garden (I don't recommend it during the final weeks of pregnancy! I pulled a fair few muscles...). Taking it fairly easy but I can't stand sitting and doing nothing for long periods oftimr. So did some shopping, took some stuff to the charity shop and baked a parkin today. My house smells amazing ATM!
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 20th Nov 17, 10:15 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    This thread has been very quite for a while, I hope everyone is doing well!

Today is my first official day on maternity leave and I feel like I'm skiving. 38 weeks today, midwife is happy. Not a lot going on really. Even though we're going for a home birth we have to pack some bags in case of a transfer to hospital and so everything is together and easily accessible so that is a job for the coming days.
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 21st Nov 17, 8:55 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Timeflies
    I'm exactly 38 week tomorrow and in at 8am for a c section, as my pregnancy diabetes has been so bad it is dangerous to go on longer. Just a few bits to pop in my bag tonight and preop meds to take. See you on the other side! good luck everyone!
    • dramarama
    • By dramarama 22nd Nov 17, 10:43 AM
    • 189 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    dramarama
    Morning everyone.
    Hope you're enjoying maternity leave TwentySomethingGirl.

I feel like I've been on mat leave forever and still no sign of baby! I have managed to clean the house and get the baby stuff ready and am trying to chill out now waiting for baby to arrive.

Timeflies- hope your C section goes well, I am guessing you may have your baby by now. Very exciting

Hope everyone on this board is doing well.

• Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 26th Nov 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Iím now 38+3 and tomorrow is the first day of my maternity leave... feels very weird not setting an alarm tonight.

Timeflies, I hope all went well - congratulations and look forward to hearing your update

Weíre going away with OHís work on Thursday overnight so Operation Evict starts on Fri when Iíll be 39 weeks - any tips most appreciated!!

Hope youíre all doing well and not too uncomfortable xx
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 27th Nov 17, 10:47 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    whizzybee
    Hi folks. Just popping in to say that I am graduating from the thread! I had a little boy last wed, and we are all doing well at home. I went into hospital at 9pm on tues with 1 min+ contractions , 3-4 in ten mins. 2cm dilated at 10pm so thought I was in for the long run. Well I gave birth at 2:10am... Everything went from 0-60 really quick! Only a week late and weighing 7lb 6oz so evidently had a growth spurt towards the end! Wishing everyone a relaxing end of pregnancy and as smooth a birth as you can wish for! Xx
    • Roz_V
    • By Roz_V 29th Nov 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    Roz_V
    Congratulations Whizzy!!!

Wondering if things are so quiet around here because others have graduated too...

Still no sign of my little man, 9 days to D-Day, sweep booked for 40+4...
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 29th Nov 17, 12:08 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Congratulations Timeflies and Whizzy!

39+2 here and no signs of anything. I'm not too uncomfortable and have plans this Friday and Saturday evening so Sunday will be when I'll start with the walks and bouncing and see if we can get things moving. Have a health visitor coming on Friday morning and midwife next Monday which is my due date. Everything is still fine for a home birth so as long as he comes on his own we should be fine!

Getting a bit bored on mat leave, and I've only had a couple of days of not seeing anyone or doing anything. Bags are pretty much packed now, just need to put some extra baggy pj's and shampoo in mine and the baby's is done. Husband needs to sort his stuff out but that's not much.

Still not "nesting", have no inclination to clean anything but if the boredom gets much worse I might do it just to have something to do. Cleaning was always my go to thing when I didn't want to revise for exams! Desperate times and all that!
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 6th Dec 17, 8:02 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    2 days late here, next appointment is on Sunday and midwife has asked me to think about if I want a sweep...Induction is provisionally booked for the 16th if he doesn't turn up before then
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 11th Dec 17, 3:04 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 13,764 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Hi everyone, I'm cautiously popping my head in here as I'm now 24 + 4 with a little boy.

Sometimes I feel like it has flown and other times it seems like the longest wait of my life! I actually started midwifery training 13 years ago although never finished, but for some reason I'm even more anxious because of this and don't trust anything I already 'know' so am probably driving those around me mad

Hope everyone is doing well and that your sweep worked TSG
    £175/3000 OH BC(94.16% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £175/31010.23 (99.43% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,000.00 (2017 O/P £3191.73) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £17,910.81/14,539.71
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

2,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin