Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 515
    • Timeflies
    • By Timeflies 27th Aug 17, 3:06 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    Timeflies
    Haha my phone autocorrected to 100 centimetre baby, now that would be something!
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 2nd Sep 17, 2:29 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    Hope I've added all the new joiners here, if anyone's missing or wants to add any other details please do add yourself...

Due Date List
    1. moreofthegoodstuff - 31st August
    2. Keekee - 27th September
    3. Pink_Giraffe
    4. saver-j - 22nd October
    5. whizzybee - 15th November
    6. dramarama - 27th November
    7. TwentySomethingGirl - 4th December
    8. Timeflies - 6th December
    9. alipops1986 - 10th January 2018

When you see this post do your pelvic floor exercises

Hospital Bag List here
    Supplement List and Dosage here

***BIRTH LIST*** - Within the last month or so

Sexymouse - Benjamin Logan - 11th February - 7lb 4oz
    Big5 - Harrison Michael - 16th February - 7lb 12oz
    Cuidadosa - - 18th March - 3lb 7oz; 4lb 5oz - awaiting names
    cats2012 - - Clara Grace - 21st March - 5lb 9oz
    Clarabell1984 - - Corran - 11th April - 7lb
    Vanilla - - Austin - 27th May - 8lb 5oz
    Penguingirl - - Baby J - 2nd June
    - 8lb 11.5oz
    Ellesbellesxxx - 29th May? (x2)
    April87 - - Logan - 11th June 7.5lbs
    Sweetbabu -
    - Jack - 14th June 9lbs 4oz
    Snowscreamer -
    - Jasmine Grace - 19th June
    Arbrighton - - Harry - 24th June
    fuzzipeg - Corinne Sharon - 28th June 7lb 15oz
    Firebird082 -
    Zoe Elizabeth - 29th June 8lb 14oz
    Newthrift -
    - Jacob - 5th July 7lb 4oz

PROBABLY GIVEN BIRTH BUT TOO WORN OUT TO LOG ON TO LIST
    [Allow 2 weeks after EDD before transferring to this list (Max 6 weeks)]

Lifestartsat40 - 17th June
    Ratison - 14th July

CONTRACTION MASTER TIMER

Please post your birth stories here when you have time/energy
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 2nd Sep 17, 3:01 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    Going to try to do personals but it's been a while so sorry if I miss any...

how are you doing moreofthegoodstuff? Any sign of baby yet?

whizzybee I didn't get anything in boots baby event, bought some muslin squares in aldi, and tesco, figured you can never have too many? but that was all. Have you decided on a pram? I am still nervous we have made the wrong decision, but I guess you never know what works for you until you use it day in day out. How was your holiday and scan? Hope all ok?

Welcome Timeflies, what nesting have you been doing?

I think I am nesting now too, have washed a load of baby things today and they're on the line. Oddly it made me a little anxious taking things out of their packaging, but I don't really want to be taking unwashed items to hospital. Only did a couple of the newborn sleepsuits as worried about size as well as measuring on the high side. I have been told meaurements can be wildly inaccurate, as can scans, but looks like a common worry for us all. I am reading a hypnobirthing book, and have a relaxation track I usually listen to at night, so glad to hear you found that helpful penguingirl, perhaps I'll stick the track on this afteernoon to see if it helps the anxiety.

Welcome TwentySomethingGirl and dramarama hope you're both well, and alipops1986 hope your sickness is better now. Good luck for the new term ahead! I'm also working full time, not due to finish until I'm 37 weeks, eek!
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 3rd Sep 17, 6:22 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    whizzybee
    The holiday was lovely thanks for asking saver-j! Quite relaxing although did a bit of walking. Managed about 4-5 miles on a couple of days but boy did it tire me out! I was a keen runner before the pregnancy and now walking a few miles wipes me out. I bought more muslins as well, plus tu clothing now have a sale on so picked as few more bits up including bibs and more sleepsuits (managed to win £60 in a pub quiz and raffle so spent it on baby clothes amongst other little treats!)
    No decision on a pram yet although narrowed down. However still waiting for the price to come down. Kiddies kingdom promise to beat a cheaper price by 15% so hoping for a price match. A friend of mine has loaned us a travel system so we have a period of grace to save a bit more and get the best price (being all MSE!)
    The scan is tomorrow so hopefully things will be fine. Baby certainly feels active enough! Just caught up with the muse headline set at reading and the baby approves! Or so I hope
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 3rd Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 10,031 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    No signs here I'm afraid! Booked for an induction on the 12th - I'm really hoping for things to get started before!! I've had no show or anything yet and my sweep found my cervix to be posteria so unsuccessful? I keep waking up in the night hoping for broken waters!!
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 4th Sep 17, 4:54 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    Thank you for the welcome

I'm doing fine, not really got much in the way of symptoms at the moment except for a pain in my pelvis which I'm being referred to a physiotherapist for.

I hope everyone else is doing OK
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2017 #85 £2633.7/£2500 12K IN 17 #85 £5500/£12000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • dramarama
    • By dramarama 5th Sep 17, 6:16 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    dramarama
    Thanks Saver J, all good here. Baby feels like she is growing everyday and getting bigger! Still not bought a pushchair & car seat...but got a lot of the nursery furniture second hand from family and bought a wardrobe and changing table from F*cEb**k for £50, which seems like a bargain.

Hope everyone's having a good week and babies are doing well. Not sure if it's just me but it feels like this week is dragging!
    Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017

Frugal & thrifty as much as possible.
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 6th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    whizzybee
    Ugh... this week really is dragging. I have now hit 30 weeks and I just feel tired most of the time, despite sleeping pretty well and not being stressed out. Had a scan on Monday and everything absolutely fine with the baby, size, weight, movement etc. Apparently it weighed 1.5kg on Monday (its not an exact science) so not sure whether to expect a big baby or not.

Just a heads up for folks, the amazon baby event is on this week if anyone wants to grab any bargains.

How you doing moreofthegoodstuff? Any sign?
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 6th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 10,031 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    Still no signs!! although just had two really good nights sleep so that's made me feel better. All I'm getting is really really bad erm what my midwife called lightning crotch... to the point where it's shooting down my legs as well, I'm guessing it's the baby going further down and hitting my nerves. So bad!!! God knows how I'll cope with labour.

I'm glad your scan went well! How lovely to get a scan at 30 weeks, it must give you some reassurance.
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 9th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    Glad you had a good holiday whizzybee, wow, just the thought of walking 4-5 miles is making me feel tired. I keep thinking that too about music if it makes baby kick is it them enjoying it or hating it! Glad your scan went well this week.

I've definitely noticed the tiredness this week too, certainly by the end of the week. 3 more weeks at work now then I can hopefully rest for a bit.

Hope the physio can help with your pain Twentysomethinggirl.

Still a few days for things to get moving moreofthegoodstuff. Hopefully the pains you've been having are a good sign of baby moving in the right direction.

Hope everyone has a good, and relaxing weekend.
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 20th Sep 17, 1:37 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    It's been a bit quiet here lately, I hope everyone is doing OK!
    Mortgage £126746 DEC14 £122423.53 DEC15 £115041.70 DEC16 Remortgaged Sep17 to pay off HtB loan £150000
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 20th Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    whizzybee
    I stalk the mse forums most days but forgot about this one! Not much happening with me at the mo. I just have a few bits to get but sept is mot month which has left me £400 out of pocket although I am mse about it with a specific savings pot for car things. Just waiting for that money to come through. Then I can get some mattresses for the crib and moses basket we have been loaned

First antenatal class tomorrow and just had a brief birth plan discussion with hubby. Currently 32 weeks and I'm struggling sleeping. My pregnancy pillow helps massively but if I shift off it I end up with achy hips. Walking a lot slower as well but managing yo keep up a few yoga sessions although much shorter

Everyone else OK?
    • dramarama
    • By dramarama 21st Sep 17, 8:09 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 1,348 Thanks
    dramarama
    All good here, hope you all are ok. I'm 30 weeks, get the same as Whizzybee with battling the pregnancy pillow & then waking up with hip ache!
    Seem to be counting down the days until maternity leave!
    Married in 2016. Bought our first home in 2017. Expecting our first baby in November 2017

Frugal & thrifty as much as possible.
    • TwentySomethingGirl
    • By TwentySomethingGirl 22nd Sep 17, 10:20 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    TwentySomethingGirl
    We've finally started getting some bits, though still a bunch of things to sort out. 8 weeks 6 hours left of work til maternity leave...not that I'm counting!

I haven't got a pillow yet though I was thinking about it. My hips are fine but I'm still struggling with the pain in my pelvis.

I had my first midwife appointment with a member of the home birth team and she seems lovely so I'm happy with her. They also run an evening where you can meet all the home birth team and they bring their equipment and partners can go so we'll be going to that next week. I'm hoping being able to see and fiddle with all the stuff they carry with them will make my husband feel happier about it. He's a worrier!
    MFW2016 £3614.63/£2500
    MFW2015 £811.60/£1200
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 22nd Sep 17, 2:37 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    Nothing to report here really either.

I'm also struggling with sleep and achy hips, and while my pillow did help even that doesn't seem to be over the last few days. Makes getting through work each day a bit tough so I'm totally counting down to mat leave, 1 more week can't wait to have a bit of a rest!

Hope your antenatal class is good whizzybee, and your meeting with the home birth team goes well as well twentysomethinggirl.
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 27th Sep 17, 1:45 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    whizzybee
    Well first antenatal class went quite well thanks saver-j - met other parents to be and learnt how to bath the baby (hint - initially, dont bother with any products!). This week is labour...

I also attended my very first baby and toddler show, and sadly what may be my last. I am not a shopper by nature and was just overwhelmed by the number of products that have been invented, 90% probably unnecessary. Plus disappointed in the lack of freebies (but Im naturally tight anyway!). There was a really really pink stall as well and stuff like baby cast iron roll top baths and a baby chaise long covered in pink velvet material. Each to their own I say but it is definitely not for me!

However it was a good opportunity to try the pram and pushchair combo we want to buy and we have decided on a mountain buggy terrain. It isn't exactly cheap, however we have struck a deal with a local shop to have a carrycot thrown in for free, plus a bit of a discount on the car seat (the kiddy one - purely for its lie flat feature in the car - both sets of parents live a bit of a distance away). So not massively money saving but we feel it is a good deal and the guy who owns the shop spent a lot of time with us, making sure we were picking what was best for us. So I am happy to pay a bit extra based on the service we received.

Twentysomethinggirl: I can't recommend a pregnancy pillow enough. Or at least try a normal pillow between your legs, see if that helps (after all, this is MSE!!). Mine was about £27 off amazon but I have seen some much cheaper on facebook selling groups and stuff like that if you want to save some dosh. I've got one of those massive U-shaped ones so when (or if) I breastfeed, it doubles up as a nursing pillow as well. Plus if you tie it up, it can also be somewhere for baby to lie one temporarily.

I am also on countdown mode to maternity leave (one month today) but I am struggling to sleep, feeling tired (and quite emotional) too a lot. Burst into tears over the past couple of days, because of tiredness and hormones. Part of me is wishing I was starting leave sooner but I have quite a workload to get through/transfer over before going.
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 4th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    Pretty quiet again here...
    All I really have to report is maternity leave is here!
    It was so nice not to have to get out of bed at 6.30am this morning.
    Need to finish my hospital bag, but apart from a couple of things, eg clothes I'm still wanting to wear, I think really its just the snacks bag that needs doing.

Glad your antenatal class went well whizzybee, we didn't really meet the other parents at ours as there were about 20 couples and they were just done over one weekend so weren't seeing them week in week out.

There are certain things I think its ok not to be totally mse about and car seat is definitely one of them, for me the pram / pushchair was too as I'll be walking most places, but also thinking of using the carrycot part of pram for daytime sleeping / possibly overnight at relatives, so needed to make sure it was safe for that. Still got the best deal we could on them but I was happy not to go for the cheapest options for these.

Hope you're feeling a bit better now too in terms of the tiredness / emotionalness. Hope you're not being too hard on yourself either, it's hard work growing a person.
    • saver-j
    • By saver-j 4th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    saver-j
    Just thought I'd update the list as well while I'm here as moreofthegoodstuff must have had her baby by now and we all need that pelvic floor reminder!

Due Date List

1. Keekee - 27th September
    2. Pink_Giraffe
    3. saver-j - 22nd October
    4. whizzybee - 15th November
    5. dramarama - 27th November
    6. TwentySomethingGirl - 4th December
    7. Timeflies - 6th December
    8. alipops1986 - 10th January 2018

When you see this post do your pelvic floor exercises

Hospital Bag List here
    Supplement List and Dosage here

***BIRTH LIST*** - Within the last month or so

Sexymouse - Benjamin Logan - 11th February - 7lb 4oz
    Big5 - Harrison Michael - 16th February - 7lb 12oz
    Cuidadosa - - 18th March - 3lb 7oz; 4lb 5oz - awaiting names
    cats2012 - - Clara Grace - 21st March - 5lb 9oz
    Clarabell1984 - - Corran - 11th April - 7lb
    Vanilla - - Austin - 27th May - 8lb 5oz
    Penguingirl - - Baby J - 2nd June
    - 8lb 11.5oz
    Ellesbellesxxx - 29th May? (x2)
    April87 - - Logan - 11th June 7.5lbs
    Sweetbabu -
    - Jack - 14th June 9lbs 4oz
    Snowscreamer -
    - Jasmine Grace - 19th June
    Arbrighton - - Harry - 24th June
    fuzzipeg - Corinne Sharon - 28th June 7lb 15oz
    Firebird082 -
    Zoe Elizabeth - 29th June 8lb 14oz
    Newthrift -
    - Jacob - 5th July 7lb 4oz

PROBABLY GIVEN BIRTH BUT TOO WORN OUT TO LOG ON TO LIST
    [Allow 2 weeks after EDD before transferring to this list (Max 6 weeks)]

moreofthegoodstuff - 31st August
    CONTRACTION MASTER TIMER

Please post your birth stories here when you have time/energy
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 4th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    Hi everyone, just popping back in as saver-j's comment about pelvic floor reminded me. I really struggled to do pelvic floor exercises regularly after birth (really wish I'd been better with them before!). I found there's a free NHS app called squeezy - has all the details about how to do them properly, you can set reminders, number of repetitions, fast and slow etc. Works really well for me - at least I get 1 set in a day evening I ignore some of the reminders! Just thought I'd mention it in case it's useful to anyone else as lazy as me 😊

Hope all are well and not struggling too much in those last few weeks.
    • whizzybee
    • By whizzybee 4th Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    whizzybee
    Wayhay on the maternity leave saver-j, I cannot wait for mine (3 weeks, 2 days and counting!). Thanks for the app recommendation firebird, that sounds very useful! If all goes to plan and I have a natural labour, I will be looking at also getting back to my running. I have no desire to do it because of wanting to 'get back into shape" (I dont even know what shape I am!) but because I used to enjoy it and I live in the country where it would be a shame not to make the most of it. Although on the flip side it is one of the reasons I get a bit upset over how tired I am getting - I ran a marathon last April and now a ten minute walk knackers me! So I think I will start with the couch to 5k, start from scratch

So finally ordered a pram and car seat! We have gone for the mountain buggy terrain (we are in the country and you can go running with it) and the kiddy lie flat car seat. My hubby's parents live in Scotland and mine, although only an hour away, would still require stopping with a normal car seat. It was not cheap but we ordered it from a little shop in the next village over so we got a bit of a discount plus some store credit which we were happy with.

34 week maternity appt this afternoon where I should be able to arrange a visit to my preferred place to give birth. Had the labour class last week antenatally and went to a breastfeeding workshop on Monday. I intend to breastfeed but I know so many people who have struggled because it really isn't easy. But I feel a bit better informed over what my choices are and just have to remember that fed is best. This week we learn about C-sections, both elective and emergency
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,497Posts Today

9,554Users online

Martin's Twitter