Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 508
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th Jun 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Glad you're going snow! I found the induction day very surreal- we sat in the park and had a picnic and a solero. Was all very odd. Definitely the calm before the storm. Fingers crossed it works!
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Jun 17, 12:20 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Going back to your previous comment; I did mention the pool to the consultant yesterday (although maybe the consultant wasn't the best person to ask) and she seemed to think it was out. But I will see with the midwives later. I wonder if it's due to the induction or the high blood pressure - but the tablets have fixed the blood pressure (which wasn't massively high tbh) so I can't imagine I'm all that high-risk...?
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Snow, I'm back, glad you're going now

Consultant seems to think they can 'dunk me in the pool' so it might be your blood pressure rather than induction at play there

And sorry about earlier, I'm just trying to keep my head together for the next few days.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 17th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    firebird082
    Oh gosh, thinking of you Snowscreamer, and hoping things are under way now...

Still nothing here - been out to a friend's BBQ today, adn got another planned for tomorrow. Bit uncomfortable in this weather, so bought a paddling pool the other day, ready to dunk my feet/whole self tomorrow/Monday when it gets really hot. OH still thinks baby will want out on Monday when it's the hottest (and we're at the hospital for 41 week appt anyway - that's going to be a bit hellishly hot ).

Really had better do that final pack of hospital bag with OH this evening

Arbrighton, are you Monday for the induction?
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    No, thursday Fire so should hopefully be holding bean by this time next weke
    Breastfeeding class tomorrow morning at the hospital (and going to buy a week's parking pass since that'll cover us with any luck) , up for bednest delivery monday and then couple of days where if I can, i need to be up to walk the dogs although I'm getting rather uncomfortable now, and my ankles are ridiculous. Have midwife on tues so that's going to be interesting having a chat with her in light of the new plan.

I have a list of bits we need to add to the hospital bag but it's down to stuff like glucose tablets and hair ties.

Just anxious/ getting a bit scared is all. I am glad of knowing a date but still long enough to think about it
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Jun 17, 10:35 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Thanks for all your wishes ladies. Having cramps, tightenings and major ligament loosening whilst on the pessary (thought pregnancy had loosed them enough already!!) but got some painkillers so not too bad. Assuming nothing happens overnight I'll be checked at 10 tomorrow morning to see if I'm ready to be moved to delivery to have my waters broken...
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 17th Jun 17, 11:13 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    I was all ready to reply after our morning feed when my parents arrived at the door. They had left the house at 2:30 this morning to come see us!

Snow, I really feel for you. I am wishing for a speedy labour and that baby snow will arrive quickly.

Arbrighton - good luck with your induction! I hope you're feeling quite positive about it.

Firebird - I have my fingers crossed that baby comes soon.

I was only two days over and I was really starting to get quite down/angry about it
    • Ratison
    • By Ratison 18th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 262 Posts
    • 1,111 Thanks
    Ratison
    Snow I hope you've been in a nice cool hospital ward today. I wouldn't want to be in labour in this heat.

Fire I spent a lot of today in a paddling pool - bliss. I was thinking that it might just be big enough for a home birth in it... maybe save that for baby number 2!

I had the annoying "are you sure there's only one in there?" question from my dad today. Yes, I am. And my bump is just above the 50th centile so it's as it's supposed to me! Some people are just rude!
    Debt free date: 8th June 2015

Bathroom Fund: £4500
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 18th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 8,240 Thanks
    newthrift
    Snow - hope things have progressed well for you and your little one is here mow or at least almost

Arbrighton - good luck for Thursday.

Firebird - fingers crossed baby makes an appearance really soon.

Well it's plenty warm enough, so glad I've not got to work anymore and can just relax wirh my feet in water. Had a clary sage bath last night and massaged with it too. I actually didn't mind the smell.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 18th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    Ratison, some people just don't think.

We braved lakeside shopping centre on Friday to see if I could find some nursing tops. An assistant - who obviously saw my zombiefied face, came up to ask if I needed help. Which I did, so she helped... and then asked when I was due. If I had been capable of more than walking and feeding baby, I would either have cried or punched her. Or probably both
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 19th Jun 17, 8:01 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Quick update from me: had my waters broken at 1pm yesterday and Jasmine Victoria arrived this morning at 4am. Absolutely knackered - feel like I've been hit by a truck!! So in love though. Further updates to follow when I'm feeling more myself!
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 19th Jun 17, 8:15 AM
    • 1,170 Posts
    • 1,273 Thanks
    cats2012
    Congrats snow!!!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th Jun 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Congrats snow!! Does sound a bit of an ordeal but so glad you have your daughter

HUsband has just taken dogs out for ten minutes before he goes to work, kid them that they've had a walk as i'm waiting in for the bednest delivery. Get out room arranged, just in time. I'm not feeling like nesting but I can see a deadline to try and get the house a bit tidy/ ready so we'll work with that. Move Moses basket into living room, rather than a convenient place to put the laundry etcetc. Try to keep myself out of my head.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 19th Jun 17, 9:41 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    firebird082
    Excellent news, Snow, congratulations.

41 week appt at the hospital for me this morning - taking OH with this time so can take joint decisions re induction etc. Getting very fed up in this hot weather, nightmare...
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 19th Jun 17, 9:53 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Congratulations snow and beautiful names.

Hope everyone is managing OK in the heat, we have a very grumpy baby here!
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 19th Jun 17, 11:06 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    Many congratulations, snow - what pretty names as well!

It is HOT! Have to say though, Jack appears to be coping with it better than we are! He's been in just his nappy and a vest, with a fan blowing for most of the day, and then in his babygrow at night. We've had him in the garden in the early evening when its cooler as well, but he's not been outside much during the day as it's just too hot and we have no shade.

I've been waking him up more often for a quick nurse to make sure he's not getting dehydrated.

OH has been amazing and won't let me do anything in the house. He's been making sure that all I need to do is eat myself and feed baby.

I am so lucky, he's such a good baby - the only thing is, he's a proper little nightowl! Sleeps very well through the day and loves a good snuggle at night. So much so that I'm dreading having clients in
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 19th Jun 17, 1:20 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 8,240 Thanks
    newthrift
    Congratulations snow!!

ratison eurghh I'm sure people think they are being funny but it is rude.

sweet that is down right rude, I'm sure people's brains do not engage sometimes.

Reminder for everyone to keep drinking plenty of water, keep cool and don't exert yourselves doing too much.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 19th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    firebird082
    Update of the list with the most recent babies while I'm sat at the computer...! Do we really not have anyone later than Ratison?

1. firebird082 - 14th June
    2. Lifestartsat40 - 17th June
    3. newthrift - 30th June
    4. arbrighton - 4th July
    5. fuzzipeg - 5th July
    6. Ratison - 14th July
    7. moreofthegoodstuff - 31st August

When you see this post do your pelvic floor exercises

Hospital Bag List here
    Supplement List and Dosage here

***BIRTH LIST*** - Within the last month or so

Sexymouse - Benjamin Logan - 11th February - 7lb 4oz
    Big5 - Harrison Michael - 16th February - 7lb 12oz
    Cuidadosa - - 18th March - 3lb 7oz; 4lb 5oz - awaiting names
    cats2012 - - Clara Grace - 21st March - 5lb 9oz
    Clarabell1984 - - Corran - 11th April - 7lb
    Vanilla - - Austin - 27th May - 8lb 5oz
    Penguingirl - - Baby J - 2nd June
    - 8lb 11.5oz
    Ellesbellesxxx - 29th May? (x2)
    April87 - - Logan - 11th June 7.5lbs
    Sweetbabu -
    - Jack - 14th June 9lbs 4oz
    Snowscreamer -
    - Jasmine Grace - 19th June

PROBABLY GIVEN BIRTH BUT TOO WORN OUT TO LOG ON TO LIST
    [Allow 2 weeks after EDD before transferring to this list (Max 6 weeks)]

CONTRACTION MASTER TIMER

Please post your birth stories here when you have time/energy

Last edited by firebird082; 22-06-2017 at 4:22 PM.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 19th Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    firebird082
    I'm now booked in for an induction next Monday, which will be 40 +12. Midwife thought baby likely to arrive before then naturally however - here's hoping, as this heat is horrendous...
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Congratulations snow!!

ratison eurghh I'm sure people think they are being funny but it is rude.

sweet that is down right rude, I'm sure people's brains do not engage sometimes.

Reminder for everyone to keep drinking plenty of water, keep cool and don't exert yourselves doing too much.
    Originally posted by newthrift
    SIL told me off today- sent pic of the moses basket in it's position and vacuum cleaner was in shot. Told to put my feet up. And to be fair, she really was right, my ankles are enormous. I've got a few bits for the week up til thurs from supermarket.
    Crib has arrived too so we need to rejig the furniture in my room- no space for my bedside table if I want to be able to get out of bed normally. So DH and I need to sort that
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,775Posts Today

8,857Users online

Martin's Twitter