Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 507
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 16th Jun 17, 3:44 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    So midwife offered me a sweep but then after she'd done my blood pressure I got sent to the hospital with raised blood pressure instead. Measurements, urine and heartbeat all fine. Just a precaution. Currently waiting to be seen... really hoping I will be offered a sweep here and be given some idea of where things are!!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Oh fingers crossed snow.

And hopefully your OH gets some first cuddles for fathers day x

Mine will be getting an IOU card for cuddles!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 16th Jun 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Fingers crossed snow

I've just been into town and bought cards for father's day- I was silly and got one from the cat too so he has a full set! Also got some nice frames and printed a couple of photos.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 16th Jun 17, 6:01 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Update from me: they are being super cautious about my high blood pressure even though no other signs of pre-eclampsia so I'm being induced tonight. Not what I had hoped (been super low risk all the way through and had been hoping for MLU pool birth) but it is what it is.

Hopefully will be meeting my baby soon! I'm 2cm dilated and had a sweep; pessary later this evening. The midwife thinks I am a good candidate for a straightforward induction so fingers crossed!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • vanilla8
    • By vanilla8 16th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    vanilla8
    Good luck snow! Hoping you have a good induction experience.
    Congrats sweet!

So the HV has recommended formula top up as Austin still hasn't gained birth weight and 3 weeks tomorrow. We have got an appointment for Weds at the hospital for tongue tie check as i suspect he isn't getting the hind milk because of ineffective latch/suck.

Hope everyone has a good weekend, cabin fever here as cannot drive and DH has gone back to work. I hope to walk to shop tomorrow to get a fathers day card!
    • april87
    • By april87 16th Jun 17, 6:23 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    april87
    Good luck Snow, as your 2cm already can you ask for your waters to be broken instead of the pessary as that's what happened with me.

Penguin I need to try pop into town tomorrow to get some photos printed. Glad it's just a 10 minute walk for me. I bought a card and frame before baby made an appearance.

Vanilla that's one thing I'm worried about, the not being able to get out and about properly when the OH goes back to work.

MW this afternoon went well. Quite happy with his weight/checks. Got my dressing off too, and the person who done the stitching has done an awesome job. One part you can't even see the scar, so I'm impressed. Looking forward to a nice bath tonight to chill
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 16th Jun 17, 7:04 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 10,012 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    Was anyone prescribed iron tablets after their 28th week blood test? I've had a call to say a prescription has been put into the Drs and that I will need more bloods doing soon - what week do they tend to retest and how big are the iron tablets? I had major issues taking the horse tranquilliser sized pregnacare tablets (the taste made me sooo sick) so I'm dreading this - is there much of a taste?
    • vanilla8
    • By vanilla8 16th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    vanilla8
    Was anyone prescribed iron tablets after their 28th week blood test? I've had a call to say a prescription has been put into the Drs and that I will need more bloods doing soon - what week do they tend to retest and how big are the iron tablets? I had major issues taking the horse tranquilliser sized pregnacare tablets (the taste made me sooo sick) so I'm dreading this - is there much of a taste?
    Originally posted by moreofthegoodstuff
    i lost 1.5ltrs of blood after c section and prescribed tablets upon discharge, ferrous sulphate? They are small and tasteless but suspected they gave me bad bowel movements so have switched to spatone and floradix and iron rich food to get my levels up.

i too had to stop pregnacare during pregnancy as they made me nauseous.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 16th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Not me, but my husband was on iron tablets after a haemorrhage last year. He had ferrous gluconate which is better tolerated generally than ferrous sulphate which can cause stomach trouble and indigestion. All iron tablets will bung you up so eat plenty of fibre to counteract!

The size is small - about 6mm diameter round and they are sugar coated so slip down quite easily.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Update from me: they are being super cautious about my high blood pressure even though no other signs of pre-eclampsia so I'm being induced tonight. Not what I had hoped (been super low risk all the way through and had been hoping for MLU pool birth) but it is what it is.

Hopefully will be meeting my baby soon! I'm 2cm dilated and had a sweep; pessary later this evening. The midwife thinks I am a good candidate for a straightforward induction so fingers crossed!
    Originally posted by snowscreamer
    Good luck snow, hope it goes as smoothly as possible
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 16th Jun 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 8,260 Thanks
    newthrift
    Good luck Snow hope all goes well and looking forward to hearing some news soon

38wk appt today, measuring at 37wks and she said that baby is ''well'' engaged. Blood pressure and iron were both really good, not sure what I am eating/doing but apparently it's working. She has said I can have sweeps from next week, I am now doing a bit of reading but I'm thinking I might give it a go and see what happens.
    Officially on maternity leave now, which feels really strange but is a relief to know I can relax and try and get everything together waiting for little one's arrival.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 16th Jun 17, 10:06 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    A little bored over here. Got left on the monitor for 2 hours as baby kept moving so violently the trace was broken and they weren't able to get a clear 15-20 mins...!

Anyway eventually they were happy (after shift change as well so suspect that hampered checking on me regularly enough) so I have the go-ahead for pessary imminently. Although typically there is currently a serious emergency on delivery so they've been asked to pause all inductions until it calms down to make sure everyone gets good quality care on delivery suite... so the wait continues. Not sure if I should stay up and hope they will come back soon or give it up as a bad job, don PJs and go to sleep...
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th Jun 17, 10:41 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    If you don't don PJs, they'll be hours, if you do, they'll be minutes but do try to get some rest Snow while you can
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Jun 17, 3:22 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Still no induction. But I have been sleeping. Just been woken up for obs. Time for another few hours' sleep now - asked about induction and she said 6am...
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Fingers crossed that you're under way.

I've just had my last lie in pre-baby. Off to breastfeeding info class tomorrow so insanely early start

OH and I have some jobs in town to do so will potter round doing those in a bit, after he walks the dogs
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    I'm clearly not very high priority here. Was supposed to get pessary last night 8pm then chief midwife didn't fit it in so shift change happened. Then the new midwife received word that there was a crisis on delivery suite so it didn't happen then. At 3:20 obs I enquired and delivery suite was still saying no inductions. This morning, at 7am I had no have more CTG monitoring (had that bloody machine) to check baby was ok before going ahead. All fine. Midwife went away for 5 minutes to get the stuff and all prepped to go but then in that interim 5 minutes when I was laid almost flat to receive pessary there was a deceleration in heart rate so midwife had to check with doctor apparently and in the meantime I had to go on my side to see if it was a one-off as lying flat can be not so good for babies. Then another shift change...
    The left-lying trace was approved by midwife and doctor so apparently we are good to go again but they take so long to come round!!! If I'd had had the bloody thing last night I could be in delivery by now... arrrrrgh! I really hope this morning's trace can still be used and I don't get strapped up again.
    Frustrated doesn't begin to cover it.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Hope something happens soon snow! If you're not already underway have they said you definitely can't use the pool? I was allowed it as long as I didn't need to be induced by drip so once my waters were broken we went back to midwife led birth plan in pool. Although if they're worried about your BP that might change things. I too hated the ctg! It was worst when I had contractions after waters breaking as I wanted to pace and just had to shuffle along about 3 feet. We also had the same issue with super active baby meaning I ended up on it for 2 hours in one stint instead of 30 minutes and the Dr had to approve me coming off it.

Arbrighton- enjoy your lie in! I am very jealous
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I did enjoy it penguin, knowing it was probably the last one for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I may have to stop reading while snow is undergoing this, trying to keep positive that my induction's going to be fine....
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Oh god, sorry arbrighton! Just needed a rant!! You'll likely get your pessary straight away if you're booked in. A tip on the CTG if you have super active baby (and glad to hear it's not just me penguingirl!) - ask them to tie the bands looser. That quieted baby snow down and we got an uninterrupted trace at 10am swiftly followed by pessary! Been released from the ward until this evening; had a shower and now having a coffee in the sun with DH so it's looking up!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 1,153 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Yep definitely be positive. The worst thing about my induction was that it was boring waiting around and I didnt like all the obs before it got going. And it was a very long day/2 days as J was born early hours so by the time we were out the delivery room it was nearly morning again so I went about 40 hours without sleep. One of the best things I did was send OH home between obs to have his tea and a nap, at least one of us had had some rest! As I've said on here already my labour was really short (less than 6 hours from waters breaking to birth, 3.5 hours in delivery room) and I've wondered if that was partly because I was induced. It was definitely not the experience I was dreading.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,229Posts Today

8,859Users online

Martin's Twitter