Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 506
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 14th Jun 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    cats2012
    Oh wow congrats sweetbabu!! What a whirlwind! So glad you're all doing well :-)

Snowscreamer I'm sure you know this but please please eat and drink as much as you can. My best friend had the same as you and unfortunately it lasted for 4 days n the end and she then had a very difficult labour as she was so exhausted. The main thing they said she could have done is get some more calories in her!!

Obviously I really hope yours doesn't drag on like that but just in case try to keep your strength as much as you can. Fingers crossed for your little one to get here soon!!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 14th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    cats2012, yep I'm coping with it quite well for now and still eating normal meals with snacks in between. But I have some high energy snacks prepared and loads of fruit should it start getting to the point where I can't concentrate! And DH is under instruction to keep me fed and watered

Following advice from our antenatal classes which was the "5 Rs": rest, relax, refuel/rehydrate, reposition, reassure.

I really would like my baby today though - currently doing fine with pain/discomfort but the thought of it continuing for 4 days is not good...!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • Lifestartsat40
    • By Lifestartsat40 14th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Lifestartsat40
    Sweets - Congratulations on the birth of Baby Jack! Sounds like a perfect birth My second son was 9lb 2oz so I can just imagine how big your baby is!

Snow - I feel the same as you, been having regular contractions since my sweep last Thursday, been into hospital 3 times for monitoring due to reduced movements and they have shown up on the trace graph as being quite strong, but they are just not progressing. I am going in at 9am this Friday though to be induced, so hopefully when I go for my last ditch attempt sweep tomorrow, the midwife will be able to tell if these contractions are getting me anywhere.
    Hope everyone else is doing ok?
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 14th Jun 17, 1:44 PM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 8,228 Thanks
    newthrift
    sweet congratulations on the speedy arrival of baby Jack hope you are back at home/on your way home!

snow & lifestarts fingers are firmly crossed for you both that things get moving along soon.

firebird hoping your little one gets a shuffle on for you. Thanks for the list update.

arbrighton good that your back has been better, shame it might not be helped from the rowing normally but maybe they will be able to help more after.

Nothing much happening here, feeling ok. Keep getting random pains/aches and back aching at the bottom has increased but think that is due to bump dropping. Glad to see the nicer weather has come back without being tooo hot. Midwife on Friday which DH is coming with me now as I'm struggling with driving - purely from a can't bend enough to see.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 14th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    As I kind of suspected, bean is now well above 95th centile so we're booked in for induction next thurs- a week for them to make their own mind up and arrive if they want to. That'll be 38+2. Est weight 8lb9 already.....

So I might be doing a bit of queue jumping.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 14th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Congrats sweet!

I feel for you snow and lifestarts- it drove me mad the niggling contractions, I was convinced I was going to go each day! Definitely eat and sleep if you can- all I managed to eat in labour was one wine gum and I really started to flag.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 14th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Arbrighton- hope you feel OK about your induction. Be prepared for lots of sitting around- I had a pessary first and wasn't allowed home (but some do) but was sent on a walk and spent most of the day in the park. It was all a bit surreal. It was only when they broke my waters at 7.30pm that it kicked off (and J was here 6 hours later)
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 14th Jun 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Yeah, not expecting anything quick but ok about it as I was expecting it to be said. We won't be allowed home, confirmed that already. So it'll be laps of the hospital corridors as it's not in town!

Dogs now booked in for 2 days and overnight next week- it ties in with just before they go on holiday.

And I feel a huge amount better as I have a definite date to work to.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 15th Jun 17, 8:40 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    I'm still here

Just managed to get a very decent sleep which I suppose is good but a large part of me was hoping to wake up suddenly as labour had obviously moved forward and it was time to start thinking about hospital etc... wasn't to be!

Still got period cramps, tightenings I can feel across the top of my bump and occasional lower back pain. All can absolutely be coped with especially after 36 hours of the same, so think I'm just going to have a normal day today. Might even send DH to work. Never sure if that's worth the risk - his commute is a 40-80min car journey depending on traffic!! Will discuss with him at breakfast.

MIL is coming over to help with our garden. Planning on pretending nothing is happening I think. If DH stays at home we'll make up some other excuse!

Glad you're feeling happy about your induction, arbrighton. Definitely hoping I still beat you but really I have no idea at this point!!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 15th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Aw bless snow- I used to get rage every morning I woke up still pregnant!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 15th Jun 17, 11:22 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    firebird082
    Congratulations on baby Jack's arrival Sweetbabu - fantastic news, you must be so pleased.

Arbrighton - hopefully the induction will go smoothly, and at least you have a date to aim for - I'm just living on borrowed time!

Snowscreamer - I really feel for you with the niggling contractions, that would be driving me mad if I was having them. I'm not sure if feeling perfectly normal is better or worse!

I've got my 40 week midwife appt this afternoon - not really sure what to expect, can anyone advise? I think she'll offer a sweep, but I'm reluctant to try that, both because I've not had any real signs yet, and because I looked up the cochrane reviews on it's effectiveness, and it seems to have no effect on whether you go into labour in the subsequent week or not. I have no intention of forcing my body into contractions if nothing else is ready
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 15th Jun 17, 2:34 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    cats2012
    Firebird I declined at my 40 week too and waited for 41, did have one then though but I made her assess whether things looked "ready" before she did it. Didn't want the discomfort for no reason!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 15th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    I'm currently having the opposite opinion about sweeps; was going to see if I could sweet talk my community midwife into one at appointment tomorrow (39+2) to see if it could move this show down the road a bit... is that a good idea?

My "normal" day is going well, lost another two bits of mucous plug and had the occasional stronger contraction alongside almost constant mild contractions that I only notice when I focus in on how I'm feeling. I've decided to start chilling out about the whole thing and just carry on as normal! Has seemed to work today...

Since I started writing this just walked around B&Q and had an abdominal pain slightly lower down than the period cramps that took my breath away. Not going to read into it though!

Had 4 relatives today message me asking if "any signs". Have lied to all of course and said no signs and could be weeks yet! Of course we'll let them know when baby is here... grrr!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 15th Jun 17, 6:22 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    firebird082
    I think I might be tempted in your situation! But on the other hand, stuff is clearly happening, however frustratingly slowly...
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 15th Jun 17, 10:47 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Horrendous pelvic pressure and cervix stabbing since B&Q pain... seems to die down a little when sitting leaning back or lying... few more abdominal pains too. Still not getting hopes up though! Going to see if I can sleep; tomorrow is a new day!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 15th Jun 17, 11:15 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Fingers crossed for you snow!

I had 3 sweeps- one at 40+4 which looked promising, another at 41+3 when my cervix actually seemed further back and by induction at 41+5 my cervix had moved back again. After my pessary I'd started contractions but they couldn't break my waters so she did another sweep and that one was enough to mean they could break my waters 2 hours later. Most people I know have just had sweeps so the midwife would tell them how dilated they are. Personally I didn't find them that uncomfortable so decided they were worth a go.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 16th Jun 17, 4:10 AM
    • 495 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    After coping all day yesterday and amazing sleep last night, just can't sleep tonight. My whole abdomen just feels really tense all the time! So uncomfy. So I've given it up as a bad job and come downstairs at 4am... this is starting to get less fun! I don't even have faith anymore than anything genuine is happening :/
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th Jun 17, 9:03 AM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Oh Snow, that sounds like a bad night, hope it does amount to progress soon :/
    • april87
    • By april87 16th Jun 17, 10:03 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    april87
    So much to catch up on. Hard to read/reply when only checking on my mobile. Finally on the laptop this morning to catch up with some things so hopefully I will catch up with everything.

Congratulations Elles, hope you and the twins are well Life with one has been a whirlwind, I can't imagine how two would be

Vanilla, glad to hear your healing well. It was frustrating to get so close, main thing is they are here now. How have you found getting about even a few weeks later?

Congrats Sweet on the birth of baby Jack. Such a lovely name, it was one of the ones we had on our list

Snow hopefully things start moving soon. It sounds very much like how I was last week, and it isn't fun. You get to the stage where you don't believe/read into anything your body does anymore. I hope things start picking up. With my sweep I was already favourable and found that it did nothing for me personally, but I didn't find it uncomfortable at all. I would just go with your gut instinct on it.

Lifestarts hope all is well with yourself, and good luck if you are heading in for an induction this am.

Firebird same advice as Snow, just go with what you feel most comfortable with. If your favourable I can't see it hurting to give it a bash, but if I wasn't then I'd probably be in your shoes about the whole effectiveness of it.

Penguin hope things are well with you and the little one

For those who are still in the waiting game, my fingers are crossed for you and as hard as it is, please just enjoy the time you have just now and rest as much as you can, easier said then done I know.

Life with the little man is amazing. In total awe of him still. Finally got home on Tuesday. Still quite sore, and finding it very difficult to not move about. Midwife is coming today to take off my dressing so not looking forward to seeing what's underneath. I have some strange bruising that she noted at her last visit, and some heat so hoping it is not a sign of infection.

Hope everyone else is well and enjoy the weather/babies this weekend
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 16th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 1,141 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Glad to hear you're well April- it is definitely a whirlwind! I can't believe J is 2 weeks old today. First day on my own with him today- OH started back at work yesterday but my parents came to help. The last couple of days we've had more awake time which has been lovely. But I am shattered! Bfing is pretty brutal as means I've not really had more than 2 hours continuous sleep since he was born. But naps help!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter