Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 505
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 12th Jun 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 8,291 Thanks
    newthrift
    Congratulations April and Elles

Firebird hope tomorrow goes well, typical that these things come at the most inappropriate of times.

Snow hope that things start picking up for you again and an arrival is made soon.

Sweet fingers crossed midwife makes it to you tomorrow for a sweep and it gets things going for you

Fluffy sorry I can't help with the pants, I'm still in my usual ones, they just sit a little lower on my hips.

I've been reading every couple of days but haven't posted and can't remember what else I've read sorry!! I'm sure I have seen some other baby updates from the new arrivals and I'm glad you are all getting on ok (on phone and can't scroll back too far).

We ended up in to be monitored on Saturday due to low movement, but all was fine and as soon as on the monitor went on it got a right dance on...typical haha!
    Baby has been burying its head down today and my goodness its been sore/painful on the last proper week of working, just training the girl who is covering me.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Boy Newthrift arrived July 2017
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 13th Jun 17, 9:57 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Slept well again; I know I should be pleased but I keep hoping I'll wake up in full-on, undeniable labour!! Added raspberry leaf tea to out shopping order arriving tonight and will do some ball bouncing and colostrum expressing. It's so frustrating thinking it could yet be another 3 weeks! Feels like the longest time!

In the meantime though I've also ordered ingredients for a third batch cooked meal to be made tomorrow; seeing my mum later today and will walk the dog with her and then MIL is coming round on Thursday to help plant up the garden after all our outside renovations so that will be good. At least I shouldn't get too bored!

Glad to hear you're doing well newthrift; hope your last few days at work go well
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 13th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    Thanks folks - having a few more twinges this morning, and can't help thinking it would be quite entertaining if my waters were to break in this afternoon's meeting. Maybe I'll put everything in the car just in case...!

Hope there's some more progress for you soon, Snow. And glad you're nearly at the end Newthrift - it all gets pretty frustrating to do anything once the baby's head is right down! Arbrighton - has the chiropractor been doing the trick? Suspect I may need to book in with the osteopath for post-birth... Sweet - hope the midwife/sweep does the trick for you today.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 13th Jun 17, 12:05 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    So one thing I forgot to mention - had a lovely surprise last night when I went round to an old school friend's flat last night for what I thought was a quiet dinner for two and found our whole group of 5 there having organised a surprise baby shower! That was lovely and got some lovely gifts too for bump.

And then literally just now on Facebook I've seen that my friend whose due date was 4 days after mine has had her baby 13 days early. Delighted for her, but severe case of green eyed monster!!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 13th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Thinking of you this afternoon firebird
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 13th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Firebird, yes, chiropractor works for me but it's a question of ongoing maintenance having had real issues 7 or 8 years ago that took a lot of time, pain and effort to sort out- I go about every 6 weeks to keep me straightish. Up until yesterday, he's been able to do the adjustments without bump getting in the way but was a bit awkward yesterday as I just couldn't bring my knee up enough. And actually my back has been ok throughout the pregnancy, which sadly I may have to attribute to not doing any rowing for several months

SI joint not brilliant today either but I'm hoping that's just signs of movement in the right direction and pressure on it.

Hope meeting ok firebird.

I've had friends over for lunch today then off to collect my textbook from my tutee in a little while as he's just finished his maths exams. Which reminds me, I haven't yet done my mat allowance confirmation.

Growth scan again tomorrow. Last one and find out if we're talking about induction :/ Then more friends booked in for thurs/ fri (unless we're going home for discussion, finding someone to mind the dogs and back to be induced anyway). I'll hopefully feel less anxious once tomorrow is out the way.

MIL rang earlier to 'see how I am'. Not sure if OH had deliberately not mentioned possibility of induction to her, but it didn't occur to me not to, since I am entirely open about these things with my mother. Assured her that whatever is said, it will not be happening tomorrow for reasons such as dogs. And yes, we will tell her when baby is born but not *immediately* as in pretty much to the second, which seems to be what she was angling at.................
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 13th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    Newthrift, glad everything is well with you. They don't half know how to scare us!

Firebird - thinking of you this afternoon. Though it would be quite entertaining if your waters did break!

Arbrighton, that'd be a shame if it is the rowing causing your pains

Snow, that's so lovely! I totally understand how it feels when someone due after you delivers before Its completely irrational, but you just can't help it!

Midwife came just after 10 and did her thing. Reckoned I was 3cms and said she'd be surprised if I hadn't delivered by Thursday. So, she jinxed me! She said that I was having tightenings and kept asking if I were in pain. It comes to something when you're replying 'sadly not'!

OH and I went for a stroll around the lake and then I had another client. Much as they're all lovely and fantastic, I do hope she was my last before he arrives! Think we're going to go for another one later. Then it's taking DD to karate.

I can feel pressure down there every so often but cannot allow myaelf to get excited. I'm far too impatient as it is and it'll only make me feel worse if, as I suspect it will, it just peters out again x
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 13th Jun 17, 5:50 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Things might be hitting up for me again. Just when I'd made more plans for the rest of the week! I'm with my mum today who is a retired GP; had a show and then immediately started having mild (but stronger than Saturday) contractions which she felt and confirmed. Also (TMI) about 10 min after show had urge for no 2 which is apparently also a sign. Sitting and trying not to get my hopes up... but anyway organised OH to come here after work rather than home in case I don't feel safe to drive.
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 13th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    That's definitely a sign, snow! Fingers crossed!

When I had my daughter I thought I had weed myself and went to the toilet with 'the urge' for a no2. Did that a few times before I realise that I wasn't actually weeing
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 13th Jun 17, 6:01 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    Thanks all for the thoughts - much appreciated, and sorry to be ranting about it on here. Upshot of the meeting is that my scoring against the criteria was lower than colleague's, so I'm out. Next meeting for appeal etc in theory in 2 weeks - to which I just laughed and said "good luck with that". They have left it at me contacting them when we can arrange the meeting, so that gives me free reign to drag it out a bit. There's also some grounds for appeal in that my manager only started last July, so for the majority of time I've been working for her I've been pregnant, which means that all her judgements are potentially prone to being affected by my pregnancy rather than the 'normal' me. Just writing out my notes ready to sit on for a few weeks!

No waters broke during the meeting, though FD did look rather panicked at the idea that they might And it was nice to see lots of other friends nad colleagues, despite the rather toxic atmosphere.

On the positive side, I definitely got the 'nesting' thing today - cleared the kitchen cupboards, finalised stuff for the hospital bag that I've been prevaricating about for ages, and sorted out loads of piles of crap, so I'm pretty sure that's a definite sign. Definite change from recent 'laze about on sofa and don't do anything' ness. Also been having (sorry, TMI!) loose bowel movements all day, so I reckon hopeful for some action in the next week or so?!

Sweet, that sounds promising - I've got everything crossed for you that the midwife is right!

Arbrighton - my usual back problems have all been better during pregnancy...which is interesting, as it just goes to show that they aren't mechanical, so must be solvable. Maybe I've just need relaxin injections on a regular basis! Would be a shame if rowing were the culprit, although I can't say I'd be suprised.

Snow - how lovely! Shame about the queue-jumper though - think there might be one of those in my aqua group - she's due a week after me, but been having loads more signs...
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 13th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    sweetbabu, it was EXACTLY like that. Fingers crossed!!! Still cramping but irregular and hasn't increased in intensity. My mum now has me sitting on a puppy pad though after I said I needed a wee (and then went to toilet and had a wee and nothing else!). Doesn't want her furniture ruined if my waters break!!
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 13th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    firebird082 at this rate I may also queue jump you, apologies! But it could still be another false alarm. Got fingers crossed for us all!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 13th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    Snowscreamer - not allowed - keep your legs crossed!

Another update of the list...

1. sweetbabu - 12th June
    2. firebird082 - 14th June
    3. Lifestartsat40 - 17th June
    4. snowscreamer - 21st June
    5. newthrift - 30th June
    6. arbrighton - 4th July
    7. fuzzipeg - 5th July
    8. Ratison - 14th July

When you see this post do your pelvic floor exercises

Hospital Bag List here
    Supplement List and Dosage here

***BIRTH LIST*** - Within the last month or so

Sexymouse - Benjamin Logan - 11th February - 7lb 4oz
    Big5 - Harrison Michael - 16th February - 7lb 12oz
    Cuidadosa - - 18th March - 3lb 7oz; 4lb 5oz - awaiting names
    cats2012 - - Clara Grace - 21st March - 5lb 9oz
    Clarabell1984 - - Corran - 11th April - 7lb
    Vanilla - - Austin - 27th May - 8lb 5oz
    Penguingirl - - Baby J - 2nd June
    - 8lb 11.5ozEllesbellesxxx - 29th May? (x2)
    April87 - - Logan - 11th June 7.5lbs

PROBABLY GIVEN BIRTH BUT TOO WORN OUT TO LOG ON TO LIST
    [Allow 2 weeks after EDD before transferring to this list (Max 6 weeks)]

CONTRACTION MASTER TIMER

Please post your birth stories here when you have time/energy

• arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 13th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Fire and Sweets- yeah, sadly rowing almost certainly exacerbates my back. It's a known issue for many rowers and my core/ technique aren't as good as they should be. But relaxin has made the adjustments easier through pregnancy.

I'd like to think my change from struggling with No2 to the opposite is a sign but sadly probably too early/ wishful thinking. And that'd be a MEGA queue jump eh

Have to see what growth scan and consultant brings tomorrow. There may be suggestion of eviction- Turns out DH was early as he was evicted (induction) so at least MIL call today had one use!
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 13th Jun 17, 9:44 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 10,031 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    Random question but being quite petite in height and weight I was told that my bump probably would show on the lower side of the bump measuring graph- I've now had a measurement which was exactly where is should be - but are the graphs the same for everyone or is height and weight considered? My details are in the corner of the graph but I did wonder if it was a one size fits all graph? Everyone tells me how huge I am so it was good to find out I was the correct size!

Also I've put on 11 kilos by 28 weeks - this seems to be loads but I can't see it anywhere other than my bump!! Am I the only one that has worried about this?
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 13th Jun 17, 10:02 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    My graph has my height/ weight ethnicity printed on too- they use a programme to generate a personalised one I think.

And I still measure big

Sadly I think i've put on quite a lot more than that, but yeah mostly bump, bit of boob (3 cup sizes worth) and definitely a bit on my thighs but noone has officially weighed me or anything. And at 37 weeks, it's got to the oh well point...
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 13th Jun 17, 10:24 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    penguingirl
    I would say don't worry about the weight- my bump was huge! I put on just over 2 stone in pregnancy, most in the second half. I lost a stone the day I gave birth and another half stone since (12 days). I now weigh what I did at 20 weeks and today fitted back in my jeggings. My main flab is just on my belly. And my boobs are huge!
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 13th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 10,031 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    I think I'm the same with the weight going to my boobs as well as bump- they are so much bigger than before, wishfully thinking they will go back after with no sagging but I'd have to be very lucky!!!
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 14th Jun 17, 8:20 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    Well...!

Went to bed with OH, had a little... ahem, session which was a bit tender and then couldn't sleep. Got up just after 1 for a wee and decided to make DDs packed lunch just in case we had to go in a hurry - we had already decided to do this for the next week or so, so that when the time came, we were prepared to run! Although, we forgot to actually do it last night!

Felt a trickle at about 1:20 and thought crap, I've wee'd myself Had a few tightenings but no pain, same as the past few weeks. They started to ache a bit and I phoned the hospital at 2:20 and was told that I had to wait till they were more regular and phone back in an hour. Even though they were every 5 minutes for 50+ seconds with another 25-30 second one in between. Went and woke OH, who called his sister in law to come look after DD.

By the time she arrived, they hurt like a mother And were every 4 or so minutes. We left immediately for the hospital and arrived at 3:40. They put me into a delivery room and OH went to park the car, rather than just abandon it. Not long after he came back, the midwife gave me some gas and air and then asked if I were trying to resist pushing. I said yes and she told me to go for it - even though i hadn't been checked for dilation.

Baby Jack was born at 4:07 weighing a massively chunky monkey 9lbs 4oz.

His face was a bit swollen and purple because he decided to arrive so quickly, but it's going down quickly. He had done a poo but is absolutely perfect. I feel absolutely fine, too. Hopefully we can go home around lunchtime

I'm not sure my poor OH has fully taken it all in yet!

Utterly in love with this nowhere-near-little man ❤
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 14th Jun 17, 8:58 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Oh wow, sweetbabu, congratulations! I'm still here :'(

Been irregularly contracting for almost 18 hours now. Managed two two-hour blocks of sleep and each time woke up in agony but once I had got up it seemed to slow / get less intense. So I'm just riding it out... back at home now and DH not going to work today. Fingers crossed things start to speed up!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,528Posts Today

7,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin