Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 494
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th May 17, 12:45 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Bean is estimated at 5lb 8 already and I'm only 33 weeks. How much do they supposedly put on each week now?
    Originally posted by arbrighton
    About half a pound / 8oz gain per week now. Average weight at 33w is 4lb 4oz (https://www.babycenter.com/average-fetal-length-weight-chart). I think the scans are almost as inaccurate as fundal height though so you may want to take it with a pinch of salt. I've read numerous stories of ladies being induced early due to big baby and baby came out average.
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th May 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Oh there is a pinch of salt or several involved. Medic SIL is pretty scathing of the measurements she had. And rightly so as one dodgy measurement meant a load of hassle and extra scans for polyhydramnios when by the time nephew was delivered, they'd concluded it was fine.

But people do keep saying I'm HUGE.... I didn't think I was!
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    I find my supposed size massively varies on what I'm wearing and who's making the comment!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 17th May 17, 11:10 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    Oh god snow, I couldn't imagine a bikini wax done with strip wax

OH helped me with a trim earlier, and then helped me out with a bikini wax (non strip/hot wax). Bless him, he was so nervous about hurting me that he was sweating - I said you clearlyaremr prepared what a going to happen in a few weeks!

Managed my legs in the shower - and I have to agree, my hairs aremt growing back as quickly on my legs!

Penguin that sounds promising! Fingers crossed that baby penguin puts in an appearance before the weekend!
    • april87
    • By april87 18th May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 334 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    april87
    Penguin very similar symptoms etc here but like you they have come to nothing. The first girl from our actual group had her baby the other day, and there are 3 due over the next week then it should be my turn. I've been trying to wash anything and everything that needs done since the weather is so nice. I love being able to get washing outside.

Ah Lifestart thats exciting that you have a date! Do you think you will opt for the sweeps?

Arbrighton I'm glad to hear the scan went well.

Snow I totally get the snacking. At the start of the week jeez, i don't think I've snacked/grazed that often in ages. Have made sure there is no more tempting food in the cupboards. I was a nightmare at work too as the office I worked in was full of manual workers and two in particular used to keep hoards of biscuits/chocolates in their drawer and it was far too tempting to just pop downstairs to get some

Have just froze my gym membership this morning, think I've done well to still be getting in sessions at 37 and a half weeks. My only concern now is that is one less thing for me to be doing but me and my trainer agreed that it was about time and that I should stick to gentle walking. OH thought it would be a great idea to get the flooring in the living room replaced from wooden to carpet so he ripped up all the flooring last night and carpet is all picked out and ready to be put down Saturday. He's taken full control of it, so one less thing for me to worry about. Car seat is also now in the car, and my sister dropped off her old changing bag so thats currently out on the whirly drying to be packed with baby's hospital things. Means I can use the bag their currently in for my what if bag.

Hopefully the weather will continue, and we have some baby announcements soon
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 18th May 17, 9:53 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Nice weather? It's not been cold here but we've had a lot of rain. Irritating as it means our garden and driveway work is going a bit over schedule. The main thing is the asbestos garage is now gone and the driveway is now enlarged but everything's a bit ugly without the new surface and the tidying up which are next up (hopefully).

Just back from midwife. Had a different one today as usual one is on holiday. Commented that my appointment schedule is a little out of whack (have had 30, 33 and 35w appts marked in the book as 31, 34 and 36!) I said as politely as I could that I had noticed but normal midwife is a little away with the fairies so I had let her get on with it. Replacement midwife responded, I see, yes she does live on her own planet sometimes!! Ha. Glad it wasn't just me, my sister and DH who had had that thought!

Anyway she didn't think that normal midwife will want me to go 3 weeks without an appt at this stage so suspects I will end up with an extra one and just be seen at 37, 39, 40 and 41 if I get that far. Urine, BP and baby's heartbeat all perfect and have dropped down to 90th percentile from 95th which is also normal. She also said even though it's marked as 90th percentile she would be surprised if my baby wasn't average size so that's good. Head not moved from last week and still 2/5 palpable. She thinks it will probably stay like that until labour.

9 working days to go! The train at this time is much more pleasant than at 7:40! Free seats!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 18th May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Glad everyone is doing OK. No news here. Feeling pretty exhausted and a bit fed up- OH and I have both had rubbish sleep this week. I've also noticed my attention span is non existent so I'm moping a bit. Need to do something productive today, but not sure what. I had thought about doing some tray bakes for freezer, but would need to go to the shop and the staff in lidl have got to know me far too well the last few weeks it's actually embarrassing. We went on a walk last night and I even got jealous when I saw a duck with her ducklings, lol. Tomorrow evening we're going for drinks with the NCT group and we will be the only ones without babies, fingers crossed something starts to happen soon!

Weather here has definitely not been outside drying weather, but is a bit better today.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 18th May 17, 10:15 AM
    • 547 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    firebird082
    Gosh, sorry folks, it's ages since I've been on here. Have been reading, just not replying. Finished work last week, and have been busy rushing round sorting stuff out - yesterday's rain was a blessing for me, as it forced me to get on with sorting out baby's stuff inside rather than being out in the garden!

Had my 36 week appt this morning, and fundal height measurement was lower than last time, so they've made me appointment at the hospital for tomorrow to check baby's position. Engagement marked as 2/5 this time, and she said that's more than last time, so at least I know which was the scale works with this one now! MW suspects that baby is just curled up and missing cms are due to increased engagement and position, but they have to check. Bit of a nuisance, as have had to delay tomorrow's lunch date!

Am thoroughly enjoying mat leave so far - definitely started at the right time Re the 'tidiness down below' discussion - sounds to me like the midwife who made that comment was extremely unprofessional in doing so... I've tried to have a 'tidy up', but it's a bit challenging now. Certainly not bothered enough to go for waxing or the like
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 18th May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Just putting the last bits I've bought for bean through the wash then doing bits of planting in the garden interspersed with rests. It's a bit disgustingly humid here today and that's really wiping me out
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 18th May 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    poddle911
    Aw Penguin, bless you for being jealous of the ducklings It's still early days, so try and enjoy it! Sounds like everything is moving in the right direction though.

Glad you're enjoying your mat leave Firebird! Me too I had a couple of really busy weeks, but taking it easy now at 38 weeks tomorrow. My iron is still super low - has actually dropped since 28 weeks when I started taking prescription tablets, so I've got another blood test at my mw appointment tomorrow. Hope everything will be fine!

April, I reckon I've got one more session with my trainer until I call it a day too! I'm not really able to walk much at the moment, so it's nice to focus on upper body, stretching and other gentle cv.
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • april87
    • By april87 18th May 17, 12:31 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    april87
    Poodle I've been focusing on upper the past few weeks with the odd legs workout but it is getting more difficult. I'm finding it difficult to stretch my thighs/calves, absolute pain.

Snow we've been really lucky since the weekend, very little rain. Glad your commute this morning was a lot better. Is there any scope for you to go in later for your remaining time?

Aww penguin I'm sure baby will make an appearance soon. I know it's tough when everyone else has gone, yours is just super comfy right now. Not that it helps. Fingers crossed you get some sort of movements soon. Try painting your nails, nice and relaxing (hands not toes that is).

Firebird glad your enjoying your maternity.

Seems we have the best of the weather in the north east here, which is a change. Not that I'm complaining. Hopefully it improves for the rest of you
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 18th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    april87, I could go in later... but then I'd have to equally leave later to be able to claim a full day's pay... not worth it for 9 remaining working days - feel like I struggle to get much evening as it is! I always bully someone into giving me a seat anyway so not that bad.

I'm actually quite amazed by how OK I'm feeling during the day. I'm also still managing (and really enjoying) most of the exercises in Pilates - 2 weeks ago one of the other regular ladies commented she was surprised I could still manage. But I feel like I'd feel much worse without? I always sleep better and feel much less creaky for a couple of days afterwards. I wish I'd made more of an effort with the CV/weights/swimming that I would normally do but with this commute it just feels like too much of an evening sacrifice. Maybe I will try to do a gentler version of my previous workouts during maternity leave. Not sure about pausing gym membership yet - feel like I'll be bored during leave and it's something positive to do? Might get OH to pause it after birth or before if it does get too much. It's about 6 weeks no exercise at all post-birth right? Anyone know if that's a hard and fast rule and if it covers gentle exercise like Pilates too?

penguingirl, really hoping things get moving for you soon!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 18th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    It's piddling down here now. I'd done about 1/3 of the planting out of bought veg plants (that's my nod to perhaps being less able this year) as I'm a bit narked that OH apparently said to colleague (or was it sports massage lady who we both see) that I didn't have much in!
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 18th May 17, 2:39 PM
    • 1,397 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    poddle911
    Arbrighton, I think you're allowed to go a bit easier this year!

Snow, I really thought I'd do more yoga/swimming while pregnant, but I don't know where the time went! When i started mat leave, osteopath recommended not starting to do anything different, so really glad I could keep up with usual exercise.

6 weeks post-partum is the rule of thumb, but I think it depends on a lot of things - mostly the birth and how you feel, and how active you were beforehand. My PT (who's trained in ante-natal and post-partum) said that 3 weeks is possible if you're fit and well. No idea how I'll feel, so just going to see how it goes... I think seeing celeb mums and fitness bloggers etc training hard to get their body back in 3-4 weeks is madness!
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: £27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 18th May 17, 2:58 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I know that really Poddle but I don't want 4.5 years of slog in the garden to go to rack and ruin by leaving it this year and I'm under no illusions that having a small child will allow me the hours this garden really needs if it's not 'maintenance' rather than 'creation'
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 18th May 17, 3:21 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 434 Thanks
    firebird082
    How big is your garden, arbrighton?! I think ours would survive, but I'm still off out to plant the veggies and do the weeding...especially after all that rain yesterday!
    • Grazeley
    • By Grazeley 18th May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Grazeley
    Hello! May I join in here...

My DD2 is 4 mths next week.
    I've come back to the boards as panicking about how I am going to survive SMP salary for the next 5 mths - a total shortfall over that period of £1500- credit card or ask my mum for a loan. Gah wish I had the foresight to think ahead and save this time around but got into too much of a bad situation with money the last 2 years.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 18th May 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Arbrighton- hope the rain passed,, it didn't last long this way although is still cloudy.

I'm less grumpy this afternoon. My mum asked me to do something on the computer for her so that occupied a bit of time, and then I did some admin jobs such as apply for a tax refund for some work expenses and had a nice candlelit bath. Cheered myself up that none of the nct mums will be doing that!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 18th May 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,783 Thanks
    arbrighton
    How big is your garden, arbrighton?! I think ours would survive, but I'm still off out to plant the veggies and do the weeding...especially after all that rain yesterday!
    Originally posted by firebird082
    Very rough estimate i.e. some pacing and back of an envelope says quarter of an acre but it's also some of the nasty weeds that need keeping on top of (and I've almost got shot of). Husband just can't see horsetails in the lawn despite looking (i.e. eyesight rather than manlooking). ANd the fact I've put SO much work into it and it's finally getting to how I want it after previous owners had neglected it. It's one of few things that I'm proud of
    • vanilla8
    • By vanilla8 19th May 17, 12:26 AM
    • 609 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    vanilla8
    Nothing but rain rain rain here in Essex last two days.
    Spent the time finally washing all the clothes and I've labelled up the chest of drawers with sleepsuit sizes so DH can find the right sizes! Lol!

I've had a sudden burst of energy today, hoping it's a good sign that things will be moving on and baby arrives soon.
    Actually popping out tomorrow to pick up some crib sheets (forgot to order more than one) and some starter milk bottles incase of breastfeeding problems.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,263Posts Today

8,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin