Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 493
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 15th May 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I can't reach or see there, i've been trimming a bit but it's certainly not on my to do list just now and wouldn't trust OH not to be cackhanded and shred me!

I do need to shave my legs though so probably need to have OH on hand to lever me out of the bath.

Chiro was useful, booked again for 4 weeks time which should be pre-bean unless they arrive early
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 15th May 17, 5:24 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 5,998 Thanks
    poddle911
    Oh it's all glamour from now on! My OH has definitely gone above and beyond this week - he's been putting on my compression socks and used his hair clippers on me as I've got no chance of doing it myself!

Tbh, after all the chat about perineal massage at NCT, he was probably quite relieved that's all I need help with
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: 27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • april87
    • By april87 15th May 17, 5:48 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    april87
    MW went well. Bump has had a bit of a spurt so no longer just on the 10th, just below the 50th. Head has started to engage too so Will see her next a few days after my due date, hopefully I won't have too. Been having a few twinges/tightenings since seeing her so you never know.

Fingers crossed for your scan on Wed Arbrighton.

Another one who can't see down there, tried to tidy myself up but no luck. Meh I'm sure they've seen it all now

Snow hopefully work won't be too bad this week and you get a chance to put your feet up at some point.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 15th May 17, 6:26 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Glad the midwife went well April- that's great news

Another one who has given up with personal care! I've used the electric shaver and the mirror for a pretty primitive effort and going with the attitude that midwives have seen it all! OH has been epilating my legs for me- in fact I made him do it Thursday night in case the ecv triggered labour. Also when it hurts he just says it's 'practice'
    • poddle911
    • By poddle911 15th May 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 5,998 Thanks
    poddle911
    going with the attitude that midwives have seen it all!
    Originally posted by penguingirl
    Exactly! I imagine it's the last thing on your mind when you go into labour.

Good news about baby's growth,
    April - especially if he's head down and ready to go 😊

BabyB is the opposite- pushing over the 95th percentile and MW reckons 8.5-9.5lb if she comes before my due date
    LBM Sep 2008 debt: 27,927.04
    start weight: 140.2, week 2: 138
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 15th May 17, 7:36 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    It was very certainly the last thing on my mind too - especially seeing as she was early - until the midwife made a comment. I was mortified

I can still manage to shave my legs though, so he's gotten off lightly there
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 16th May 17, 8:01 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Ladies, on the personal grooming question... before my massage last week I had a Lycon / hot wax bikini wax. Would definitely recommend this option - like the rest of you I can't see down there and haven't for weeks! I had a strip wax earlier in pregnancy and with the increased blood flow it was definitely worth opting for Lycon this time - virtually painless. Although I actually have no idea how it looks!! But as I swim once a week I do like to try and stay tidy... I have another booked in for 38 weeks so hopefully unless I go very overdue this will suffice!

Definitely tired again yesterday at work but so far today feeling OK... working on positive mental attitude to get me through to maternity leave. I do enjoy the work I do but tiredness plays mind tricks and causes concentration struggles which can make it all quite frustrating!

Hope everyone else is going well. Excited for the mini baby boom to help my own countdown!
    Cleared my credit card debt of 7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th May 17, 11:13 AM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I think i've just done the 'it all goes to plan and they kick you out same day' labour bag

So need the 'not quite to plan, keep you in one or more bags' sorted then I'm ready

MIL rang last night. Somehow thought she needed to check Bean hadn't arrived while we'd been away. Because of course we wouldn't have somehow found phone signal and mentioned that....
    • vanilla8
    • By vanilla8 16th May 17, 10:07 PM
    • 601 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    vanilla8
    Glad everyone is well. I managed to shave my legs last week as I had a wedding to attend to, and pleased to report that my hair seems to not grow back that quick (a pregnancy side affect?)
    I haven't managed to sort out down below tho, not sure if I will get time to visit the salon and not sure I can rely on the DH to assist!

Swelling of feet has suddenly hit me in the last two days, which makes walking around a bit painful. Skin goes really tight and ankles really stiff. Still managing over 8000 steps might not be helping it!

Have hit the batch cooking hard and cooked a curry, chilli and cottage pie today. Plan on doing a bit more tomorrow, and will rest easy knowing we have some decent meals to eat in the early days of constant feeds!

Didn't sleep that well last night and finding the Braxton Hicks make me rather breathless, babys movements are not as dramatic either, maybe due to lack of space? Having on and off cramping and every trip to the loo I'm looking for signs of a 'show'. Tbh i don't mind if baby stays in a little longer as I want to get all this cooking out the way first!!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 16th May 17, 10:34 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    arbrighton
    No, my leg hair is definitely growing less too vanilla.

Did some batch cooking over the weekend but am slightly terrified by how unprepared I still feel.

Maybe antenatal class on sat and seeing midwife next week to do my birth preferences will help- I should probably start writing down some thoughts/ questions.
    • april87
    • By april87 17th May 17, 7:02 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    april87
    Yeah arbrighton I need to pack a spare bag for the car, just in case.

Vanilla I had quite bad swelling for a while and found that the walking 8000+ steps a day did not help it. I now do 2/3 days where I hit between 8000-11000 and take it easy the other days and it does seem to help. They don't swell as often. Even thought I'm about 10 or so days behind you, I'm also constantly on the lookout for the 'show'.

How you feeling Penguin, only a few days to go
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th May 17, 8:10 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    penguingirl didn't post at all yesterday... just saying! Although she would have been 5 days early yesterday so who knows.

10 working days left for me! Managed a full day in London yesterday which was working 8:30-7 and then a dinner out with my team at work and felt fine! So tiredness really does seem to be quite sporadic! Was pretty tired Monday morning on the train and was dreading the day ahead but actually peeked up once I'd been at work an hour or so.

I think I'll be relieved once I finish but then after a week or so I'll be impatient for baby to arrive... never happy are we!
    Cleared my credit card debt of 7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • april87
    • By april87 17th May 17, 8:16 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    april87
    Ah Snow maybe, I didn't even pick up on that. You never know.

Those 10 days will fly pass. I know my last week did. Haha definitely. I'm now in my second week and I'm bored out of my brain. There is only so much gym/walking/doing chores that I can do before it drives me insane. As for sitting watching tv, I just don't seem to be made for that, especially day time tv
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th May 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Sadly no news here- I have had stomach cramps the last 24 hours, had a bit of discharge (sorry tmi) and teatime yesterday had some strange pains and tightenings... but all seems to have come to nothing! Am feeling very impatient as 7 of the girls from my NCT class have now had their babies and the 8th went in for (early) induction yesterday so we're going to be the last! I'm going to go mad if I have to wait another 2 weeks!

April- I too am bored of housework. I sorted out the airing cupboard yesterday, exciting! And the freezer is full. Am going to do some photo album stuff today I think.
    • Lifestartsat40
    • By Lifestartsat40 17th May 17, 10:35 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Lifestartsat40
    I had my Consultant appointment yesterday and have been given an induction date of 16th June (day before my due date) however I can have a sweep at 38 & 39 Weeks as well to see if that helps. Feels strange knowing that by 4 weeks on Friday baby will definitely be here or on her way!

My leg hair has definitely almost stopped growing, hardly ever have to shave them, but when I do, I find its easier in the bath. Also re: the other personal grooming discussion, I do that in a mirror, takes a bit of practice though!

Hope everyone else is doing ok?
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th May 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    penguingirl
    That's great you have a date!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th May 17, 12:05 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Growth scan done. Bean has moved up to 90th centile from around 70th and we've had the 'well if it shoots up any more, after 37 week growth scan, then we'll talk about what to do e.g. induction' conversation. Head growth and anatomy all fine at least, which was actually the point of the process.
    Platelets a bit low so consultant would like bloods repeated at next midwife appt. Whether I have to let her know or the notes will is a moot point however.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th May 17, 12:22 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Glad scan went well arbrighton. I'm going to ask about size if I make it to my scan on Friday as growth chart (not based on scan) shows him at 90% and consultant thought he looked big on the portable scanner so anxious not to go too far over. And very impatient.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th May 17, 12:34 PM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Bean is estimated at 5lb 8 already and I'm only 33 weeks. How much do they supposedly put on each week now?
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 17th May 17, 12:42 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    I wonder if my baby has had a growth spurt recently as well. I don't feel any bigger in particular but my weight gain has ramped up (4lb in last 2 weeks) even though I've been cutting back food wise after getting into a nasty habit of over-snacking on the wrong things at work... damn you work kitchen!

I'm not having scans but last 4 midwife appointments have seen me on 95th percentile for fundal height... really hoping that I won't have suddenly shot off the scale! Everyone keeps telling me how "neat" my bump is for my stage of pregnancy so I do find it a little unbelievable that I'll have a big baby... we'll see!

Had a bit of an uncomfortable moment earlier when I was in the middle of a code review with a colleague and multiple suggestions were made... ended up being nearly an hour and I was bursting for the loo! Kept thinking it was nearly over when actually it wasn't so didn't excuse myself. By the end I was so desperate that my lower back started to ache... anyone had this?! Really weird. And bubs was going nuts inside presumably due to his/her space even more restricted than usual
    The relief when I was able to get up and walk to the loo... most uncomfortable walk/waddle ever but thankfully everything settled afterwards. Pregnancy is such a joy!

35 weeks today; isn't it wonderful knowing as we get closer that even if we do go early at this stage chances are bubs will thrive
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,883Posts Today

4,423Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just leaving Manchester after the funeral of my beloved grandma Gladys who passed away last night. https://t.co/nuC9ry5mP6

• The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Follow Martin