Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,108Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 485
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 20th Apr 17, 5:38 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 8,218 Thanks
    newthrift
    I started writing last night but my brother popped by and I forgot to post.
    Firebird - glad the growth scan went well and placenta has moved, that must be a relief.
    Penguin / arbrighton - I feel your pain with emotions and tiredness
    Snow - excellent summary thank you.

Back and well whole body ache along with tiredness and rubbish sleep has arrived, i've been feeling it this last week but hoping to pick up soon.
    Cotbed set up and nursery coming together. Still keep finding little bits we haven't brought yet haha.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 21st Apr 17, 7:34 AM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Snow- great summary. Our nct teacher recommended doing something really dull during the first phase, and then noticing when you couldn't do it anymore- she suggested this like putting dvds in alphabetical order, when your brain can't do it, it's time to ring the ward. She said someone in one of her classes baked batches if cookies and rang when they started to burn! She also told us the ward will want to speak to us on the phone during a contraction (not just OH) to see how we are getting on. She also said if you are doing hypnobirthing tell them as they will think you are less progressed than you are if you're in the zone. She said it is really common for contractions to slow when you get to hospital so you might be sent home. She recommended having a walk around the carpark, go up and down stairs and if you still end up going home have a brew and come back when you're ready- she reckoned that an hour at home could progress as much as 3 hours in hospital and is much less boring so not to stress about it, but make the most of it.

Hope everyone is OK, last day in work today! Had physio again yesterday and my back pain is definitely improving- still very painful at times, but I do get some relief at other times from it now. If anyone is struggling with their back, I would definitely recommend speaking to your midwife, even this late in pregnancy.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 21st Apr 17, 8:18 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Off for my Anti-D today. OH has actually taken it as a day off rather than one of his official ante-natal appts as he doesn't see much point in going off to work for a friday afternoon. So, he has one in hand that we might be able to use for one of the remaining two growth scans I guess.

Discussed my sleeping last night- I am really much more likely to sleep on my own in the spare room sadly
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 21st Apr 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 8,218 Thanks
    newthrift
    Thanks for the tips also penguin. Enjoy your last day in work.
    Arbrighton that's a shame but if it is the best way for you both to get as much sleep as possible it's worth it.
    I upped the pillows I have last night and actually got a much better sleep. Is anyone else finding themselves rolling on to their back then waking up/sore? Feeling much more refreshed today, yesterday I just felt so drained.
    Off shopping tomorrow with a couple of friends to get a few baby bits, odd things for me and have a nice lunch.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • april87
    • By april87 21st Apr 17, 11:30 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    april87
    Rant alert, I'm sorry.

So annoyed, I am off today to wait for the delivery of our cot. Thought great, will get the delivery in and then me and the OH can get it built this weekend, its out the way with and another big thing ticked off. Received a text yesterday to say when it would be delivered between, meant I had to rearrange a doctors appointment as it was due to come during that time. Managed to get it rearranged, all sorted I thought. Nope get another text message like 10 minutes ago saying that due to some issues it won't be delivered today. I phone the company to see what the issues are, as I can't seem to find the parcel online through the tracking number. Get through to someone and she tells me they don't have the parcel at the depot. If that's the case why on earth do they send a text to say that it will be sent out if they don't have it. Is it just me or should parcels not be told they are going out until they have the parcel in hand? I checked Mothercare's website and its been dispatched and according to the information I have on their, it delivery date was 20th, which was yesterday. I am so annoyed, I just hate delivery companies, they never seem to be able to do something as simply deliver the parcel on the date they state. It's now under a 5 day investigation, which won't include the weekend so it'l be next week or the week after before I see the cot if I'm lucky. I am stressed enough as it is. I am convinced I'm going to go on Sunday, my brother's birthday, he would be 26 and its an Old Firm derby which I will be sat on the edge of my seat for anyways. I've had so many dreams about it since I found out I was pregnant, even before I knew my due date. I know its unlikely to happen but as you'll its hard to not get worked up over something. I'm just so annoyed/stressed and then with not sleeping/being sore it is really not what I had hoped for today

Argh glad to get that out. Another thing for hospital bag that someone advised me yesterday of, and I can't remember if it has been mentioned is eye mask & ear plugs incase you have to stay on the ward.

Arbrighton I know its tough, but you and bump do need your rest plus its only short term. I'm glad your OH is with you to your appt today.

Penguin, I hope you enjoy your last day

Snow what a good summary that is. I feel like I've forgotten everything from the NCT class, but I am sure it will come back for when I need it.

Firebird glad to hear the placenta has moved.

6 weeks to go now, and I had hoped we would have been all done by now.
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 21st Apr 17, 12:15 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    cats2012
    April I'm so sorry! Thats rubbish. Hope you're doing ok. It's totally understandable to be angry about that though, especially when you've stayed in especially.

Hormones play so much havoc -look after yourself.

Clara is one month old today I can't quite believe it. I'm not normally one for cheesiness but honestly ladies it absolutely flies by - do make the most of every second and even when it's hard you won't believe how quick things change. Clara is so much more of a little person already.

Ear plugs/eye mask are an interesting one. I see the logic but I couldn't have taken my eyes or ears off the baby!!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • Lifestartsat40
    • By Lifestartsat40 21st Apr 17, 1:17 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Lifestartsat40
    Morning Ladies
    Snow, thank you for the summary, definitely see good advice there.
    Nursery is all done now & looking lovely, except the chest of drawers which Mothercare is supposed to be delivering on Tuesday, let's hope that is the case after the trouble April has had with her delivery.
    I am 32 weeks tomorrow and have just started on the raspberry leaf tea, one cup a day to begin with which I will increase to 2 cups from 34 weeks and then 3 cups from 36 weeks.
    I had a really confusing/annoying consultant appointment last week which has left me feeling all in a tizz.
    The original consultant I saw said that due to my advanced years (I'm 43 :_) that I would be induced at 39-40 weeks. I am fine with this as all three of my previous babies were over a week late and Ive been induced twice before. This is also inline with what the Royal College of Obstetricians advises to cut stillbirth risk. Apparently after the age of 40, despite having a fit and healthy pregnancy and no problems, you can still have a stillbirth for no reason, admittedly the risk is small, but quite frankly having got this far, I don't want to take that risk! - The Consultant I saw last week, said no - we won't be inducing you, let things happen naturally, which has set e into a panic. I also had a growth scan which showed that baby is likely to be 8-9lb by week 39. The other factor at play is my debilitating SPD, which means I can hardly walk any distance without my crutches, I am taking codeine for the pain and my sleep is almost non-existent. I am seeing (hopefully a different) consultant in 3 weeks, so I am going to try and get some answers about why I have received conflicting advice.
    The consultant also said that the pelvis gets too much blame, and the pain I am in is probably just due to a full bladder (err, no - Ive had this since 14 weeks and in my previous pregnancy and its definitely SPD) and apparently codeine isn't a painkiller its just a distraction! - interesting.......
    Anyway, sorry for the rant if you're still reading, just had it in my head how things will go and obviously worried about taking risks, albeit small ones.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 21st Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Anti D was fine and very prompt- much quieter in the antenatal clinic than the wednesday ones

April, that's really annoying. But then we haven't even looked properly at cots since MIL wants to buy 'something' and we don't actually have any weekends left before due date really now (well apart from when I'm already 38+ 4!) and bean won't be going into the cot, in their own room til 2018 (!)
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 21st Apr 17, 3:19 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I say the anti-D was fine, the injection itself was, but I feel a bit grotty this afternoon and I've just read up on Rhesus disease. They took blood (again) today, which will have been to test for Rh antibodies. If they show up, I'll get a call or letter and then I think we'd have to test and monitor bean further. Eek
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 21st Apr 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    penguingirl
    April- that is so frustrating about your delivery! And I think your panic is understandable about Sunday.

Lifestarts- hope you get some clarity soon and feel more in control.

Arbrighton- I have been in the spare room for a couple of weeks, and it definitely upsets me more than OH, he's much more pragmatic about it. We've got a little routine where we go to bed together, but when I wake about midnight I then decamp to the spare room. If I wake before the alarm I'll often sneak back. This morning he heard me go to the bathroom about 5..30 and said he was awake so he came through to the spare room. Of course I then didn't sleep after that... basically we try and have some time together but there's a lot of bed hopping going on! It helps us feel less separate.

I've had a lovely last day today - we had a bit of a lunch and I got some really sweet presents. And I only had one little cry. Think we're going out for tea tonight to help me step away. Feels very weird that I'm not going to be back until end of may 2018!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 21st Apr 17, 6:00 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Was just that he remarked on it last night penguin and the problem is more the restless legs and dropping off- I lie awake for an hour or more in bed with him trying not to disturb him whilst then winding myself up at not being asleep.

So we have our bedtime chat and a cuddle then I decamp- where I can wriggle as I see fit, cocoon in the duvet, have the light on if that seems to help etc.

He often brings me through a coffee as he's heading out to work if I've had a bad night though

I've just had to explain to my mum about why I've had antiD. Hope that hasn't worried her as I did briefly mention possible implications
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 23rd Apr 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Hope everyone has had a good weekend? We've had lovely sunshine here so been able to sit in the garden and also had a wander to a local national Trust place. We had a lovely dinner out celebrating maternity leave on Friday, and yesterday built all the nursery furniture (drawers took nearly 3 hours!) and put up the curtains. So we now just need to put up a couple of pictures and wall stickers. Tomorrow I'm going to start putting baby's clothes in the drawers. Definitely feels real! Midwife tomorrow for 36 week check.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 23rd Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Been out in the garden much of the weekend- holding ladder for husband yesterday (and finding all the bits he dropped) and then getting some weeding and planting done.

Went to the rowing club this morning, to make the tea/ toast for people, and to finally see the young lad who's borrowing my boat out in it. Then we went out for sunday lunch- I ordered a child's portion and could barely manage that! And I'm now very slowly planting stuff out in the garden to fill some gaps. 7

Had a very twitchy bump once or twice this week- like when your eye twitches, but over my bump, anyone else had that?
    • vanilla8
    • By vanilla8 23rd Apr 17, 5:43 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    vanilla8
    Hi all,

Penguin I am also going to load up the chest of drawers this week, all becoming a bit real. Haven't decided on what wall stickers we are having yet. My 36 week check on Weds.

Arbrighton i am Rh Neg too but they never took blood the day of my anti D injection - just the week before. I see in my notes that i need another test at 36 weeks so maybe i am doing blood weds too.

April i have had a nightmare with mothercare deliveries too. Hope its all getting sorted now.

I had NHS antenatal class yesterday, was good and had a chance to walk around the labour rooms. The midwife teaching stressed the importance of oxytocin levels to enable a good labour, especially the early stages at home, which was interesting.

I seem to be having a bit of the pre baby blues and i feel DH hasn't really been supporting me, i don't think he can really connect with the pregnancy and I am feeling a bit alone with it all.
    • vanilla8
    • By vanilla8 23rd Apr 17, 5:47 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    vanilla8

Had a very twitchy bump once or twice this week- like when your eye twitches, but over my bump, anyone else had that?
    Originally posted by arbrighton
    i have found baby movements are definitely more twitchy than kicks in the last few weeks.

Im looking forward to when baby engages a bit more as my right ribs are so sore, and at times can't even touch the area!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 23rd Apr 17, 6:12 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    penguingirl

I seem to be having a bit of the pre baby blues and i feel DH hasn't really been supporting me, i don't think he can really connect with the pregnancy and I am feeling a bit alone with it all.
    Originally posted by vanilla8
    Just to say you are definitely not alone with this. I have at times found pregnancy to be hugely isolated. My OH is supportive, but struggles to know how to do this some times. I also had a (male) colleague at work have a chat with me about how OH was doing because his own experience of pregnancy and early days was that he just felt useless and a huge sense of pressure to make everything ok when he couldn't. I've also definitely been guilty of resenting OH at times because it feels he is less invested in the pregnancy/baby- he's not given up any hobbies, interrupted his career, changed his body etc. But actually when I spoke to him about it (last week while crying at about midnight) he feels a bit jealous of how connected I am and would love to be do more/ have me do less. Bit rambled, but gist is - you are doing brilliantly. You are growing a person, have hormones that make us bonkers and this is probably the biggest change you will make in your life.

I'm definitely at the stage where most of my movements are shifts, wriggles and twitches, with a lot less kicks. Also lots of hiccups.
    • april87
    • By april87 24th Apr 17, 8:25 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    april87
    Morning guys

Hormones have calmed, cot arrived and is now up. All baby's things are organised, just need to order a mattress and hopefully that is us. Since the carry on with the cot, thought I would check the progress with the buggy, issues there but the car seat & base is here so that's all that matters.

Cats can't believe thats a month already. Time certainly does fly.

Penguin, hope your midwife appt goes well. Certainly does feel real when things start coming together. Hope you take it easy now that your on maternity!

Vanilla that's understandable especially when you throw in the tiredness and achness you kind of just wish that your OH could experience some of that so they are in it with you if that makes sense. Try take some time out for yourself. I read something yesterday, can't remember the majority of it but the jist was growing a person is hard work, you need to be kinder to yourself and if that means resenting the OH for a bit then so be it. As Penguin says we are the ones who have to deal with a whole load of changes, and at times it does feel like we are the ones giving up so many things whilst they just seem to sail by almost.

Arbrighton definitely feeling the twitches, it was almost like the skin completely stretched out for me, it was so tight.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 24th Apr 17, 11:41 AM
    • 497 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    firebird082
    Glad the deliveries have arrived April - they really can be useless sometimes, so frustrating.

Arbrighton - same with the movements, although then had some proper kicks again yesterday evening and tonight! I also spent all of yesterday planting all our new purchases (patio and pergola completed last week!) - it's very slow work these days, and unfortunately OH has hellish bad hayfever at the moment, so not much help. He did his best to help despite it though - bless

Penguin - enjoy your mat leave, and take care of yourself! I've got 3 more weeks at work, and am desperate to just be able to snooze in the middle of the day! (unfortunately weekends still busy sorting ou the garden/nursury, so am still attempting to carry on through the snoozy periods, possibly not a good idea...).

Vanilla - sorry to hear how you are feeling. I had a chat with OH last night about a similar sort of topic - he likes to give the bump a cuddle, and has started talking to it a bit, and still likes to feel the movements. In fact, I make a bit of extra effort to tell him when bean is having a session, just to 'keep him in the loop'. It is hard though - I keep getting a bit frustrated because he's carrying on with all his usual stuff, while I've given everything up, feeling exhausted and struggling, and sometimes it just doesn't seem fair! I think it helps when we talk to them more...

Edited to add - I've found it incredibly helpful to have other pregnant ladies to talk to. If my work team hadn't all been female with young children I wouldn't have had anyone to talk to about stuff, but as it is, pregnancy and babies are the main topic of conversation, which has been really reassuring.
    Last edited by firebird082; 24-04-2017 at 11:43 AM.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 24th Apr 17, 11:56 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    arbrighton
    haha, if I actually let OH loose on the garden, I'd have to supervise anyway so I may as well do it slowly.

He sorted out filling the new big tubs with compost for me, and loaded up my car with stuff for the tip- I'll have to go and ask for help when I get there as some of it's a bit big, but the guys there are usually pretty good at offering.

Just been and had my hair done, and booked in one more appt before due date. Was bloody falling asleep in the chair for pete's sake
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 24th Apr 17, 1:23 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Hi all,

Glad everyone still seems to be doing (relatively) well! Just 5.5 weeks at work left for me which has crept up quickly!

Seem to have grown out of the first two pairs of maternity jeans I bought (around 16 weeks) which is slightly depressing. So might have to invest in one more pair in a larger size at this late stage otherwise l am not going to be able to keep up with washing! I wear them to work so fairly necessary! I also bought some more tops at the weekend as I was behind with washing and getting seriously bored of the 5 tops I had which work for spring. Bought a couple of tops earlier on that are a bit heavy for spring so they are no good now.

I eventually found that percentile chart for fundal height in my notes (thanks april87 (I think) for mentioning it as my midwife hadn't shown it to me so had no idea! Bump appears to be on 95th percentile which is a bit crazy as I haven't put on a huge amount of weight (1.5 stone at 31w) and both OH and I were small babies. Eek! Imagine fundal height can't be all that accurate though as it must depend on amount of fluid, mother's pre-pregnancy size etc? Oh well. What will be will be.

Next midwife appt is next Thursday and then the following one is only 2 weeks later so they seem to be getting a lot more frequent. It's our last antenatal class tonight (baby care) - have enjoyed them so much so think I'll be a bit sad once it's over!

Hope everyone had a good weekend - another bank holiday weekend next week! We all chose a good time of year to experience late pregnancy
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,619Posts Today

8,579Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Today's Twitter poll: Which of these professions would you trust most if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin