Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 484
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 15th Apr 17, 8:37 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I have bought some specifically as the ones for the dogs tend to be scattered round everywhere rather than still neatly in the package!
    • april87
    • By april87 17th Apr 17, 12:16 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    april87
    Finally got things ticked off on our list which is a massive relief. Don't have too much to pick up, just the odd thing here and there, but I've already been told by family members that they will be picking them up for us which is great.

Not feeling 100% today, sore and sick so have taken the day as a holiday. Managed to get a few extra hours sleep which has helped. Kicks have been alot stronger to the point they are becoming painful at times. Can't quite tell sometimes if its sore tightenings or sore baby kicks, as some of them seem to be quite low down.

Hopefully everyone has had a good Easter weekend
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th Apr 17, 12:43 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    penguingirl
    I know what you mean April- sometimes I feel like my belly is black and blue and it can actually ache after a big session. Often they do coincide with Braxton Hicks which I do think make the kicks hurt more. Hope you start feel a bit better soon.

We had a final family meal at my parents before they move house. I've told them I won't be going over when they move as finding the 50 mile drive too much and I've done it the last 3 weekends so I've had enough. I had planned to go over one night as OH is away, but we're now getting furniture delivered that day. My mum has offered to come and stay that night if I want, and I also have a friend from work who lives locally and offered to be 'on call' that night.

We're having a lazy day today with no baby - related jobs. So far we've just lazed about and had a nap. Think we're now going to go for some lunch and have a walk in the park..

My Amazon order of nursing bras arrived- think they will be fine and they seem better quality than i expected.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th Apr 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Busy weekend- just put deposit down on the car having eventually test driven the alternative, with a bit of a lack of botheredness at the dealership and then actually, none available for 3-4 months anyway.

Have been in spare room to sleep as it somehow stops the restless legs issue- I think as I can wiggle about without worrying about waking OH. And so I dropped off quite quickly last night only for new(big)dog to have a barking session at half midnight. Unimpressed, although if I view it as bean practice, I can deal with it.

Have washed the firstsize sleep suits so I'll go and tuck those into the baby hospital bag now.

Was having a bit of a prod of my tummy in the bath last night and bean kicked back. Of course, we couldn't reproduce this for daddy
    Daddy to be has realised it might be time to go back to the expectant dad book and read beyond helping early pregnancy wife. (I think that was prompted by me having to explain what meconium is and how it might be different)

I did have a bit of a crying fit yesterday as I was just bloody tired and the idea of another 11+ weeks like this or worse was a bit much. I don't ever seem to have been glowing or full of energy, just the level of tired has varied
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th Apr 17, 6:58 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    penguingirl
    arbrighton- it's daunting isn't it? I get so frustrated by my energy levels, although I'm trying to be more gentle on myself. Today we managed a tiny walk in the park, and then I needed a nap, but we managed to have a laugh about it.

Last week of work for me, so that feels odd. I got a bit tearful last night, but I think it was mainly tiredness. Also I was reading a book I started about 3 months ago in which an anxious man is preparing for his child's birth (the Rosie effect), and every time I have read it I have become upset as I seem to get vicariously anxious from it. Really annoying as I enjoyed the book before it, and I want to know how it ends!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th Apr 17, 7:28 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Penguin, yes, so frustrating, as I was incredibly active before- dog walk, rowing training, DIY, gardening, running.

I'm going to have to take commitments week by week I think. I'm lucky that for most things I'm involved in, that's an option and people are expecting to play it by ear
    • april87
    • By april87 17th Apr 17, 8:09 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    april87
    Penguin & Arbrighton the lack of ability to do things that we did prepregnancy certainly does get frustrating and it's not only the bigger things I find. Simple things like cleaning the house seem to take it out of me. I like you guys find t difficult to slow down or just say no, but today I did nothing. Spent the day between napping and lying on the couch and it's exactly what I've needed not that I wanted to tell the OH that as he's been telling me for weeks now but yeah we do need to slow down and take things as they come.

Penguin I can imagine the thought of no work for a while being quite daunting but just think that you can use the time to just rest and prepare for bumps arrival. Use it to look after you
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 18th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    Gosh, I've missed loads again! Congratulations Clara - shame things didn't go according to plan, but you've got a healthy baby, and hopefully you are starting to feel a bit more human again by now xx

Very much agree with everyone else on the lack of energy - I spent at least 2 days this weekend literally feeling too tired to do anything, and just snoozing. We managed to get out for a bit of a toddle round a local NT garden yesterday, but my back and hips are now not behaving themselves, so walking is really quite tiring. I'm also getting a lot more backache, and sleeping less well, so I guess this is a real 'welcome to the third trimester' Oh well, only 8 weeks or so to go.

Movements have changed here to more wriggles and gentle prods - guess that means bean has got a bit less space. I think I'm grateful to my placenta being at the front, as kicks haven't been as strong as they sound like they have for some of you! Growth scan tomorrow to check that it's not blocking my cervix (fingers crossed!), and then we're down to the standard midwife appointments. Which reminds me, I need to book my 34 week, and I clean forgot to phone and book it this morning - it's before 10am only, directly with the community midwives now - they've changed the system since I was at 12 weeks! Bit of a nuisance really.

At least OH managed to finish the wallpapering (the ever-decreasing number of weeks seem to have spurred him into action!), so we are now only 1 wall of paint and a set of curtains away from having the 'nursery' finished. And we have the landscapers in sorting out my patio and pergola today, so that's my extra room nearly sorted...just have to hope this summer's weather plays ball now!
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 18th Apr 17, 8:00 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 10,031 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    So my blood type came back as A- and they tested my partners blood, we have since found out his parents are both O type blood so if he happens to be O- will that mean I won't need to have any injections? Although I know it's really unlikely I'm just wondering in general (and hoping as I'm terrified of needles!)

We also found out my placenta is at the front and that I probably won't feel movements until about 24 weeks, I'm so confused as I thought I'd been feeling movements since at least 15 weeks!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 18th Apr 17, 8:08 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    moreofthegoodstuff - i have anterior placenta, and thought i was imagining movements, but in hindsight I was feeling little wriggles from about 20 weeks, but had to wait longer for the first definite kick. You may be glad of that in due course!
    • moreofthegoodstuff
    • By moreofthegoodstuff 18th Apr 17, 8:12 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 10,031 Thanks
    moreofthegoodstuff
    Thank you! I don't think I'll mind too much if I'm not being constantly kicked!

They never mentioned it at the scan but the midwife read it off the scan notes.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 18th Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    So my blood type came back as A- and they tested my partners blood, we have since found out his parents are both O type blood so if he happens to be O- will that mean I won't need to have any injections? Although I know it's really unlikely I'm just wondering in general (and hoping as I'm terrified of needles!)

We also found out my placenta is at the front and that I probably won't feel movements until about 24 weeks, I'm so confused as I thought I'd been feeling movements since at least 15 weeks!
    Originally posted by moreofthegoodstuff
    You'll only need Anti-D if OH is anyletter positive blood type. I have mine on friday (and you've reminded me to go and check with bit of hospital that's in, thanks!)

They did mention where placenta was at my 2nd scan, and it's been noted at each growth scan since.

But yes, the kicking can sometimes be quite 'intense'
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 19th Apr 17, 11:11 AM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    Growth scan this morning was all good news - placenta has moved right up and out of the way, and baby's estimated weight is 4lb1oz, so below average, but in keeping with previous measurements (and husband's average family size!). So we'd better get on with the rest of the preparations - suddenly 8 weeks seems like no time at all

How's everyone else doing?
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 19th Apr 17, 11:22 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    penguingirl
    That's great news firebird, and must be a weight off your mind.

I've been a bit up and down the last few days, finish work on Friday and finding it harder than I expected- feel like I'm giving up lots of things that were important to me and tbh I am just fed up being pregnant as tired, my back hurts, frustrated with my energy, got heartburn etc so was a bit gloomy. OH asked me yesterday what I was looking forward about having our baby and I just burst in tears and said I couldn't think of anything, which of course isn't true, just felt it at the time. Got to love these hormones!

But I'm feeling much more positive today. Carpet is being fitted as I type, so we can then build nursery furniture. Furniture for our bedroom is being delivered next week. I've also got a group health visitor appointment next week. Maternity leave seems to be filling up with things already!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th Apr 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Did my volunteering stint at the school garden club today. With holidays/ hospital, I hadn't been in a month so there were a few bump size comments (and one set of touching)

I am probably dehydrated today which may explain what I suppose are Braxton Hicks being quite obvious/ frequent today.

Going to rest up for the rest of the evening as I also did garden centre with mum after (damnit stomach must be squished, couldn't eat the whole cake!!!) and have planted some of my new stuff today. Husband has gone straight from work to cinema to see something I don't want to see, so if I want to just eat a bit of toast, I can.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 19th Apr 17, 10:02 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    31 weeks today; time is flying by! Really really enjoying our antenatal classes. Learnt so much about latent and active phases of labour and how to best cope that just isn't widely publicised. Amazing in these days of abundant information how you can read so much and yet understand so little! Actually now really looking forward to labour and both of us feel like we know exactly what to do and when for a smooth progression.

Sad that it's our last class next week but equally looking forward to it as it's the babycare session. So much focus on a few hours of labour and really that's over in a blink and then babycare lasts for months! Hopefully will learn some more that has passed me by during my own research.

My third trimester symptoms seem to have calmed down (either that or I have very quickly got used to them!) so I'm hoping this continues... 6 weeks left at work. But I am still loving my job so by no means counting down. Ended up running for the train again today though (self inflicted - poor timekeeping!) so not sure how much longer I'll be able to keep that up!!

Sorry to those struggling with physical or emotional symptoms at the moment. We are really so nearly there and we'll be holding our beautiful babies before we know it!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 19th Apr 17, 11:29 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    Learnt so much about latent and active phases of labour and how to best cope that just isn't widely publicised. Amazing in these days of abundant information how you can read so much and yet understand so little! Actually now really looking forward to labour and both of us feel like we know exactly what to do and when for a smooth progression.
    Originally posted by snowscreamer
    Do tell! I've got my own ideas, but no-one ever wants to tell anything but horror stories...
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 20th Apr 17, 1:19 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Do tell! I've got my own ideas, but no-one ever wants to tell anything but horror stories...
    Originally posted by firebird082
    Luckily our class is a horror story free zone. But where to begin to try to share it with you...

Main points:
    Latent phase of labour (0-4cm dilated) - be lazy; rest, relax, limited distractions, eat little and often and drink lots of water. You might not feel like eating much so ask OH to offer you small manageable bites regularly whether or not you are hungry. Go to the loo every hour (get OH to remind you as again may not feel the urge).
    This is to ensure you are fully energised for the active phase of labour - so no moving around; at this stage it is counterproductive. Doesn't help progress but could cause exhaustion later which is problematic. Conscious brain is switched on at this point and you can have normal conversations.

Active phase of labour (4-8cm dilated) - this is when you need to phone hospital (assuming no other issues e.g. waters broken when you should phone immediately). Main way to tell you are in active phase - conscious brain switches off and conversation becomes monosyllabic. Get OH to watch out for this and phone hospital. Don't do anything that requires conscious brain as will slow down labour. So no intellectual or plot-twist TV etc. Limit adrenaline by staying calm as adrenaline slows down labour and increases pain. Some adrenaline spikes (e.g. arriving at hospital) are inevitable but limit them. Dim lights in hospital room and put on music that you like to relax too (whatever this is!) to promote relaxation. In this phase it is important to regularly reposition (birthing ball, leaning on bed, squatting on peanut ball etc) to open up the pelvis in different directions. But keep it calm and gentle so not to waste energy. Don't try to fight your conscious brain switching off - this is what's meant to happen. Fighting it will prolong labour. You are in control if you allow your subconscious to take over.

Think that's a reasonable summary of what I took away? Midwife told us that about 50% of their epidurals are due to exhaustion and it's totally avoidable. Nothing wrong with an epidural for pain but it's a shame to have to have an unnecessary medical procedure because you exhausted yourself or didn't eat enough in the early stages.

Absolutely fascinating; had heard none of the above before the classes!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 20th Apr 17, 1:40 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    firebird082
    Ah, that is interesting, and matches pretty well with what we learnt in our hypnobirthing class. Certainly the stuff about making sure to eat and keep hydrated - exhaustion certainly seems to be an avoidable complication if you understand what is going on during the various stages.

We haven't been to our NCT or NHS classes yet - they are all in May. The horror stories are all from colleagues and acquaintances... I've been ignoring them
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 20th Apr 17, 3:53 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,789 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Great summary thanks snow
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,021Posts Today

7,286Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin