Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 471
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 18th Mar 17, 2:15 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    cats2012
    Hey all still nothing here and spent all morning in hospital as baby was quiet after the sweep (and you have to be extra vigilant as it can distress them) so went in to be monitored. As I'd been in before, even though it was 9 weeks ago, protocol said I had to have a scan of the placenta and a big chat about induction and risk of waiting etc etc

As I'm hoping for a very natural birth it was pretty rubbish to be honest. Medical protocol is I can just choose to be induced asap but I really really don't want that so there was just lots of scare mongering and after such a good appointment yesterday I feel so anxious which obviously isn't good to get labour going!!! All I can say is I'm glad me and OH knew our views as I think we could easily have been pressured otherwise.

In happier news as baby isn't here I'm off to afternoon tea for a friends hen do so I'm hoping good company and yummy cake make me relax and get baby on her way....let's see!!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 18th Mar 17, 7:09 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Aw cats that does sound stressful. But glad you're happy with your decision to continue as normal. Hopefully she'll get a wiggle on soon. One of my friends with due date same as yours had her little girl this morning.

First nct class for us today. I was really anxious about it for some reason, but we really enjoyed it. The other couples seem lovely and a few others live very locally and are pretty close in due dates. We've set up a whatsapp group so hopefully it can become a social thing too as we only moved to this area a couple of years ago so don't have many local friends and none with young children. Some of us went for lunch together which was nice. Today we did all the birth stuff and I found it a lot less scary than I expected. Wednesday is all about breastfeeding and next Saturday is about life with a newborn

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend
    • faithybaby
    • By faithybaby 18th Mar 17, 8:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    faithybaby
    Hi all, I hope you don't mind me posting on here. I'm only 5 weeks +5 pregnant but the less than 12 weeks is pretty quiet at the moment. Sounds like it's lots of waiting here. I'm pleased your NCT went well Penguin, I can understand being nervous, I think I would be too. Good you stood your ground too Cats and that you and OH knew what you both wanted before you went in.

Anyway, the other reason for coming on was because earlier today I got an electric shock from a 75 watt soldering iron and now, unsurprisingly, I'm worried! I've looked on the internet and lots are saying to speak to your midwife, but i'm to early on to have one! DH is away tonight so can't talk to him without worrying him! I know the bean is probably just too small for any heart beat, but can see myself worrying till the 12 week scan! Ah well, just needed to share my worry! Hope you don't mind me crashing your chatting and so sorry if I'm on the wrong thread or shouldn't hav posted.
    • april87
    • By april87 18th Mar 17, 8:28 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    april87
    Cats sounds like you've had a stressful morning, but I am glad you have stuck to your guns, and your OH is on the same page. Hopefully the cake tomorrow will encourage her to get a wriggle on and make an appearance.

Penguin glad the first class went well, its nice that it looks like it will turn into a social thing, that is one of the reasons why I signed up for them in the first place as I heard so many positive things about them. Hopefully the next two will be as good Another 2 weekends til we start ours.

Clara, glad you had a nice meal, and I'm totally with you on the uncomfortable thing with sitting too long. Just can't seem to win. Will def look at trying the tonic water to help with the cramps in the calf. I've just been forcing myself out as bed as quick as possible to stand, and get rid of them that way.

Had a better nights sleep last night, putting it down to my new pillow and finally getting comfy with it. Hoping more of the same tonight. A nice easy day planned for us tomorrow, off to a Cat Cafe (OH is keen to try it, I've been a few times with a child I volunteer with who absolutely loves it) then lunch with some friends who we've not seen in ages. Need to try and find a new jacket for when its not too cold. My current one no longer zips up, can't even pull it together over bump, and some zippy hoodies are just starting to strain across bump.

Hi Faithbaby, no advice re electrocuting yourself, but could you maybe phone NHS 24, or if you know the number for your maternity ward call them, even if it's just for some advice to reassure yourself.

Hopefully everyone is having a good weekend, and catching up on some much needed sleep.
    • Cuidadosa
    • By Cuidadosa 19th Mar 17, 7:04 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Cuidadosa
    Hi ladies... look like my twins wanted to beat Cats...
    Two boys!! No names yet... Obviously quite premature at 32+4... it all started very natural and I was 10 cm in two hours (with epidural) but Lefty decided he was coming looking up and because he's so tiny (1.6kg) they couldn't use forceps or suction so c-section. I woke up at 6:30 yesterday and they were born at 11:55 and 12:05pm or something like that. Righty was 2kg and looking better (nobody had been poking him on the eyes through my vagina!!!) but because he was born so chilled, he was having trouble breathing. So much they put him on a ventilator (Lefty only needed oxygen mask) and because My hospital doesn't have a proper NICU they took him to Another 30 miles away. My partner went with him and he's already improved loads.. in fact the ventilator tube came off during transport and he was doing OK so he's been off it! My partner will go back there this morning and check on him again before coming here.
    Nursery is not ready... I was still at work... oh well! They are OK and I'm really good at expressing colostrum for a first timer, hopefully that translates to breastfeeding when they are ready for it (don't develop reflex until 34 weeks!!)
    But I'll tell you... 1.5 hours for 4ml... doesn't sound that good!!!
    Cats, come and join me, you need it more than I needed it!!
    • april87
    • By april87 19th Mar 17, 8:04 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    april87
    Wow Congratulations Cuidadosa. I'm glad to here Right twin improved on the way to the other hospital unit, and they're both doing ok. Main thing is both babies and yourself are doing ok, work and nursery well they can wait. I really am glad to hear you are all doing ok though
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 19th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Congratulations Cuidadosa! Glad to hear you're all doing ok despite the drama, and I hope you can all be in the same place soon. Work and nursery will all come out in the wash.

Cats - I don't know if it helps, but they are talking about induction at my nct class yesterday and the woman leading it was really reassuring saying that if it does happen, don't automatically think that that none of your other plans will just because it starts very medicalised. She recommended that one the drip is out (if you need one) then just go to your original plans and see you go. Fingers crossed you don't need that route and it must be frustrating to think about especially if you had planned to do hypnobirthing.

Speaking of hypnobirthing- I know a couple of books were recommended on here but I forgot to write them down. OH hadn't really bought into the idea, but had a change of heart yesterday at the nct class so I think we're going to see if we can find some self-help resources. We've both done quite a bit of mindfulness before, so are hoping that some of the strategies are transferable.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th Mar 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    arbrighton
    penguin, i'm trying Mindful hypnobirthing by Sophie Fletcher. Her mp3s are free online via penguin books website. I've read most that and some of Maggie Howells. Find Howells a bit too hippy earth mother all intervention is bad and wrong tbh whereas Fletcher is a bit more realistic and accepting and able to advise on how to deal with those possibilities
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 19th Mar 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    cats2012
    Congrats Cuidadosa! Although I imagine must be a very weird time right now making sure they're both ok and fighting fit. Thinking of you all!

No change here. Thanks for the reassurance penguingirl I've heard the same, but I also know the pain is a lot worse which means the likelihood of needing painkillers and interventions etc is considerably higher. Ah well. Still 5 days for her to turn up!

I think I'm mainly frustrated because I don't understand why, everything is by the book and I've done everything I should have and she still wants to be late?!?! Nevermind!

Also I did Sophie Fletcher too and have found it brilliant.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 19th Mar 17, 1:10 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Thanks ladies, have downloaded the tracks and might pop the book on my kindle
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 19th Mar 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,220 Posts
    • 8,258 Thanks
    newthrift
    Congratulations cuidadosa. Although a shock arrival glad both seem to be doing well and hope you can all be together in the same place soon
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • clarabell1984
    • By clarabell1984 20th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    clarabell1984
    Massive congratulations cuidadosa! I hope you are all together soon but the main thing is that you are all doing well just now! Everything else will fall in to place have you decided on any names yet?

Cats I hope your baby girl makes an appearance very soon! As much as I don't have any specifics in my birthing plan, I really would hate to have to be induced too so hope she arrives before it comes to that!

Our weather has been horrendous the last few days so suffering a bit of cabin fever! Not sure if that's what's making me really sleepy or if I am just more tired now!

I've fixed my laptop so can tick that off my list but feeling the general can't be bothered doing anything else today!

Hope everyone is having a nice day xx
    • april87
    • By april87 20th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    april87
    Penguin I got a couple of Hypnobirthing books and found that I connected most with this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hypnobirthing-Mongan-Method-Marie/dp/0285643355/ref=pd_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZD APB68342E95G2V7VB4

The other one I got, I just couldn't get into it. So will be going back to reread the Marie Mongan method once I've finished my current book.

Cats it sounds so frustrating, but she will probably just come in her own time, as annoying as it is. She must just be super comfy.

Clara we've not had a bad few days lately, and today is absolutely gorgeous. Makes for such horrid working conditions especially as I am right next to a window. Had to make a wee trip to the new Starbucks at the top of our road for some fresh air and something cold to drink. I did not want to come back in at all.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 20th Mar 17, 1:05 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    1. cats2012 - 12th March
    2. clarabell1984 - 31st March
    3. Cuidadosa - 25th April? (x2)
    4. penguingirl - 20th May
    5. vanilla - 24th May
    6. ellesbellesxxx - 31st May (x2)
    7. april87 - 3rd June
    8. snowscreamer - 21st June

When you see this post do your pelvic floor exercises

Hospital Bag List here
    Supplement List and Dosage here

***BIRTH LIST*** - Within the last month or so

Becca0417 - - 1st July - 6lb 3
    skintbuthappy81 - Joshua - 2nd July - 8lb 10
    Euronorris - Mia Abigail - 4th July - 7lb 15
    Gelly123 - Jasmine Hope - 8th July - 7lb 4
    Tatabubbly - MJ - 15th July
    flutterbyuk25 - Lenny Otter- 9th August - 8lb 12
    crazycatlady - Zoe Lauren - 17th August - 6lb 8
    jtr2803 - Jessica Christine Lee Cox - 25th August - 7lb 4
    ThinkPink - - 12th September
    freddiefrugal - - 'Fred' - Frederick Nathaniel - 29th September - 6lb 2
    Beckyy - 9th October
    psychopathbabble - Isla - 27th October
    justme1985 - 30th October
    Kynthia - Grace Mary - 26th November - 8lb 4oz
    MancMama4 - Charlie - 14th December - 6lb 7oz
    Pink Petal - Georgia - 21st December
    newcook - Esme - 2nd January - 6lb 10oz
    Tinks05 - Isla Scarlett - 6th January - 9lb 5oz
    Sexymouse - Benjamin Logan - 11th February - 7lb 4oz
    Big5 - Harrison Michael - 16th February - 7lb 12oz

PROBABLY GIVEN BIRTH BUT TOO WORN OUT TO LOG ON TO LIST
    [Allow 2 weeks after EDD before transferring to this list (Max 6 weeks)]

kennyvinegar - 27th December
    2016mum - 19th November
    Rinroo - 6 August

CONTRACTION MASTER TIMER

Please post your birth stories here when you have time/energy
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 20th Mar 17, 1:11 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Hadn't seen the list for a while so went and updated it with my EDD... there are a few other recent joiners missing - penguin, newthrift etc.

Cuidadosa also needs moving to birth announcements section but as I'm on my phone I'm afraid I was lazy and just added myself! Looking forward to people dropping off as the weeks continue rolling on and getting closer to meeting baby snowscreamer...!

Bought some more stuff this weekend - new carrycot to complement our eBay bargain pushchair. Nice compromise I feel. And Moses basket, bedding and changing mat which were the things highlighted that I hadn't sorted yet when we had the discussions about what was needed a few pages back. Hopefully that brings me a bit closer to "done" and it's now just the hospital bag bits I need. That can wait until the next free weekend!

Hope everyone is well - fingers crossed for this week cats and congrats Cuidadosa!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • clarabell1984
    • By clarabell1984 20th Mar 17, 1:29 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    clarabell1984
    Ah the joy for me of living in the west of Scotland April! Today we've had rain, hail, sleet, gail force winds and blue skys and sunshine!

Wishing I could get out for a walk but it's too unpredictable!

We got a lovely card and cash from my colleagues when I left on Thursday (didn't want to buy more neutral clothing for us) so we have booked a newborn shoot for when our wee button arrives. He has come highly recommended and is a really reasonable price. There will still be plenty of money left over for some out fits and I'm also looking into white noise toys as many new mums I know swear by them!
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 20th Mar 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,172 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    cats2012
    Tbf I live in the Midlands and we've had a MASSIVE storm today! Managed a good few miles yesterday despite very strong winds but today has been literally torrential rain all day so I haven't been able to venture out. Still hoping to later though.

Had a couple of tiny twinges that got my hopes up but nothing else, trying to just relax but easier said than done.
    • firebird082
    • By firebird082 20th Mar 17, 1:53 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    firebird082
    Tbf I live in the Midlands and we've had a MASSIVE storm today! Managed a good few miles yesterday despite very strong winds but today has been literally torrential rain all day so I haven't been able to venture out. Still hoping to later though.

Had a couple of tiny twinges that got my hopes up but nothing else, trying to just relax but easier said than done.
    Originally posted by cats2012
    I don't know if it helps to think about it differently Cats, but our hypnobirthing covered a small section on due dates - the 40 week thing is a bit of a nonsense, and purely for the convenience of medical staff. I haven't got the reference to hand, but the bit I remember is that 42 weeks is actually a more normal period of pregnancy, so all these 'late' babies are not really late at all! Thinking of you, and sending relaxing vibes in your direction

We're just back from hols - need to do a bit of catching up on this thread tonight! If anyone else updates the due date list in the meantime, I'm 14/6/17. More later!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 20th Mar 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Yep, at our nct class our teacher had worked in France for a long time and she said most of Europe consider full term at 41 weeks. But scary as in my area they induce at 11 days over.

Midwife for me this afternoon, all fine. Still measuring at well above the 90th centile so if the graphs are right we'll have a big baby if go to full term. But I don't think we will as neither of us have big babies in our families, and I'm only small, we'll see!

I did the hypnobirthing track last night (the relaxation one) and liked it. OH did it too and said it was the best night's sleep he'd had for ages. Will definitely try and read one of the books.
    Last edited by penguingirl; 21-03-2017 at 9:15 AM.
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 20th Mar 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 4,133 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Hi all, I hope you don't mind me posting on here. I'm only 5 weeks +5 pregnant but the less than 12 weeks is pretty quiet at the moment. Sounds like it's lots of waiting here. I'm pleased your NCT went well Penguin, I can understand being nervous, I think I would be too. Good you stood your ground too Cats and that you and OH knew what you both wanted before you went in.

Anyway, the other reason for coming on was because earlier today I got an electric shock from a 75 watt soldering iron and now, unsurprisingly, I'm worried! I've looked on the internet and lots are saying to speak to your midwife, but i'm to early on to have one! DH is away tonight so can't talk to him without worrying him! I know the bean is probably just too small for any heart beat, but can see myself worrying till the 12 week scan! Ah well, just needed to share my worry! Hope you don't mind me crashing your chatting and so sorry if I'm on the wrong thread or shouldn't hav posted.
    Originally posted by faithybaby
    This might put your mind at rest: https://www.babycenter.com/400_mild-electrical-shock_905333_245.bc

I hope you're keeping well

On a side note, I got the 'talk' about inductions as I was overdue. I was very insistent on not having one, and wouldn't even consider it before 42 week unless there was a medical reason. Don't feel pressured into it if you're feeling well and there's no reason for one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

145Posts Today

1,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin