Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,108Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 470
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 14th Mar 17, 9:46 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    Cats, I've not been posting on this thread long, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that little one comes soon!

As far as birth plans, mine is literally going to say as little medical intervention as possible - no epidural or anything like that. I am petrified of needles and the thought of a section fills me with terror

I had my daughter with gas and air (albeit asking for an epidural after my legs gave way while climbing onto the table in the labour room! ) and plan on a birth along the same lines, if it's possible.

We haven't bought a moses basket so are just going to use the carrycot that came with the pram, on a moses basket stand. At night, he'll go into his cot at the end of our bed - we don't have room for anything else
    • april87
    • By april87 15th Mar 17, 7:52 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    april87
    Re:birth plan, yeah I was looking at a few examples and a lot of them seem to be so detailed. All I was really hoping for was a nice, natural as birth with minimal/no pain relief. I will get talking to the OH so he is on board with what I'm after. I've heard stories of people being full on with what they want and unfortunately they haven't been able to get that which makes everything 10 times worse as they are so focused on what they wanted/planned. Hoping that minimal planning will be sufficient enough but I will express my do/don'ts to the husband.

Ah Penguin you'll need to let us know how you get on, mine are at the start of April. Looking forward to them.

I still feel like we have loads to get. No cot/crib yet as were still unsure of where we will be. Only thing we really have is our buggy/car seat, nappies and clothes. Think my mum has a bottle starter kit but thats about it. Really need to think about getting a crack on. Won't be getting a cot till later on, probably once baby outgrows crib. Hoping to hit a few NCT sales/Jack & Jill markets to look at cribs but I did see the Mothercare one on sale at Tesco's which I'm tempted to get, just so I feel a bit more organised. As for baby sling I am with the majority, will wait till bubs is here and head to the local swing library to try a few. I'm not 100% sure we'll need one as we live quite central and I plan on using the buggy a fair bit for walks etc.
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 15th Mar 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 8,218 Thanks
    newthrift
    I hadn't realised about sling libraries, I will have a look for one locally as I would like a sling too but there are so many options (like everything else I guess), so thank you for the idea penguin

April - I've not thought too much about a birth plan yet, I'm thinking I would like to try just gas&air but whatever has to happen to get the little one out so both them and me are ok then it has to be done. Hoping to get more information when I go to my nct course in May.

With regards to buying things we seem.to have most stuff now, just missing baby monitors and then still need some clothes and smaller items + stuff for hospital bag.
    Last edited by newthrift; 15-03-2017 at 8:41 AM.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • clarabell1984
    • By clarabell1984 15th Mar 17, 10:34 AM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    clarabell1984
    Hi everyone, just a quick check in to see how everyone is?

Looking a lot busier on this thread now, welcome everyone who has joined from the other threads

Still no sign of baby Cats? Well done on all of your walking! I'm going to try and do at least a couple of miles a day after I finish up work. I'm tired enough after that but would like to keep as active as I can to stay as comfortable as possible.

My last day of work is tomorrow!!! I actually can't wait! Officially the next 2 weeks are annual leave and my mat leave doesn't start until my due date

Sitting waiting to leave work for my midwife appointment at 11.30am.

Off to get my hair and brows done tomorrow and then hubby is taking me out for dinner. Possibly our last meal as a twosome!

Hopefully I'll be able to get on more once I'm done with work and not finding all my spare time taken up xxx
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 15th Mar 17, 10:37 AM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    penguingirl
    That's exciting clarabell! Lovely idea to have a dinner to celebrate finishing work- will have to remember that one for 5 weeks time. Hope you get a few days to relax before baby arrives (or at least more than the 12 hours my SIL managed in January, oops!)
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 15th Mar 17, 12:25 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    cats2012
    Still no sign - spent the morning at a baby group so hoping the oxytocin helps!!

We've had so many date nights in the last few weeks, always thinking it's the last one but seemingly not yet! We may even head out again tonight...

Massive tip for you all - don't get hung up on the due date. For around 7 months we were really good and just said "March" but other people made us focus too much on due date and now we're really struggling with the waiting. If you can, assume 2 weeks after and anything sooner is a blessing!

Exciting to hear you're finishing work Clara! I wish I'd worked longer now but hindsight is a wonderful thing...Hopefully I won't be waiting too much longer :-)
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 15th Mar 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Aw cats I hope she comes soon. Still no sign from the other 2 ladies I know who were due Sunday and I think they are both fed up! Was it weird going to a baby group without a baby? Hope the hormones do the trick! Hope the weather is at least nice in your area- it's beautiful here, OH and I got to have lunch with the conservatory doors open as both working from home so feels very chilled out. Although it would be nice to spend the afternoon in the park rather than back on the laptop!
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 15th Mar 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    cats2012
    I thought it would be and was just intending to pop my head in as I was out anyway and it's one I want to start when she's here, but they were so lovely and welcoming and invited me to get involved which was very nice of them :-) so actually wasn't weird at all and I now know some friendly faces for when I go in hopefully a couple of weeks time!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 15th Mar 17, 1:45 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Aw that's really nice to hear- I hadn't thought about popping in at all pre-baby, but will bear it in mind now if like you I happen to be passing
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 15th Mar 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 8,218 Thanks
    newthrift
    Hope the hormone boost helps Cats. Lovely that the group were so nice and welcoming, I think it makes it more reassuring for when you get to go with baby that it's a nice group.

Clara Enjoy your last day working tomorrow, and here is hoping the meal out will be your last as a two.

I've defiantly noticed bump taking on a growth spurt recently, i'm having to wear a long vest under my work polos so that my back/bump isn't out. Laptop has been sorted yesterday so that once baby is here after a little time off I am able to do some admin work at home (family business so necessary for me to still be doing some paperwork to help).

Such beautiful weather today, hoping its still here tomorrow on my day off so I can enjoy it.
    • clarabell1984
    • By clarabell1984 15th Mar 17, 3:36 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    clarabell1984
    I hope so too penguingirl! Quite happy to take the time over the next couple of weeks to relax and wait until my due date I may not be saying that if/when I go over it though!

I have defo been trying to drum that into my head Cats, that potentially it could be another 4 weeksish before baby and not just the 2! Hope your little one makes an appearance soon!

Really tired today! Didn't sleep well last night so taking it's toll on me. That's the first for ages I've not slept well so can't really complain!

All went well at midwife (apart from the 30 minute wait!), baby still just dipping into pelvis and measuring on track. She took bloods but unless I hear from her then all is well. Next appointment is in 2 weeks which will be just 2 days before my due date. I thought it would be weekly now but she said 2 weeks is fine and if I have baby before that appointment, then she'd see me at home!
    • april87
    • By april87 17th Mar 17, 10:58 AM
    • 283 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    april87
    So glad its Friday, past few nights have been awful sleepwise. Ordered our crib in the sale, so that should be here Tuesday, and made a list of everything that we still need. Told the OH he is in charge of picking a monitor, just told him not to go overboard, and that I would be happy with a bog standard one.

Any sign Cats?

Hope your taking it easy Clara now that your finished with work.

Hope everyone else is keeping well
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th Mar 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Happy Friday ladies!

I'm with you on the sleep April.

Fingers crossed for news cats and hope you're relaxing clarabell and had a nice last day and dinner.
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 17th Mar 17, 6:22 PM
    • 1,142 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    cats2012
    Still no news but saw midwife today and she said everything looks to be as it should be and she expects it to be any minute :-) so fingers crossed!! I have to keep remembering I am only 5 days over and due dates are pretty made up anyway...!!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 17th Mar 17, 8:25 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Fingers crossed it happens soon!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 17th Mar 17, 9:16 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    arbrighton
    I've been struggling with sleep too, between peeing, restless legs and bean boogieing.

And i have 15 weeks to go
    • vanilla8
    • By vanilla8 17th Mar 17, 10:06 PM
    • 584 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    vanilla8
    Hope baby comes soon Cats.
    Have a good weekend everyone ,still decorating (slowly) here, might start packing the hospital bag.
    I seem to be waking up every night with cramp, and bump has grown rapidly this week
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 18th Mar 17, 5:25 AM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 8,218 Thanks
    newthrift
    With you all on the sleep thing, have give up trying at 4.30am as nowhere comfy and hips just too sore, only 15weeks to go
    Luckily it's not this bad every night.

Cats sound promising hopefully from the midwife, fingers crossed for you.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 18th Mar 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    arbrighton
    oh yes, chuck in a cramp in my calf too! Oh had arm round me and felt a kick that was other side of me, someone is getting stronger
    • clarabell1984
    • By clarabell1984 18th Mar 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    clarabell1984
    Hey ladies!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Cats, hope baby is here soon, all sounding good!

I've also been sleeping terrible the last couple of nights, it's like baby knows I'm on the wind down

Tonic water is really good for leg cramps and has helped me in previous months.

We had a lovely dinner out last night but started to get quite uncomfortable sitting at table after a couple of hours so was home to bed by 8.30pm!

I'm now suffering from swollen and sore hands and legs/ankles are a bit the same. Been told to rest but I get really stiff if I sit too long! I can't win!!! Can't really complain, had a relatively easy pregnancy so far (husband would probably not agree with all the moaning I do! )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,206Posts Today

8,533Users online

Martin's Twitter