Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,108Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 469
    • april87
    • By april87 10th Mar 17, 9:35 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    april87
    Penguin, now thinking that since we are in the last 3 months or so, might start looking to get some more stuff soon. The OH keeps looking at monitors, whilst I stare blankly at them. So definitely need to start researching.

Sweet I am the same as you, convinced I am getting bigger by the day (well to me and the OH), folk are still surprised when I tell them how far on I am.

Clara hopefully the emotions settle down when you get off work, and are just able to chill. I doubt it, but fingers are crossed.

Toots thanks for the tip, did not think about hair bobbles, will add bobby pins to that too.

Cats hopefully baby will make an appearance soon.

Cuidadosa another one for the itchy/swollen feet, I switched my socks to sport/gym socks and have found they have helped a bit with the swelling.

Got a letter from HR in yesterday, so they are encouraging me to take as much annual leave off before baby, so booked my annual leave from the 8th of May this morning. Only 8 weeks left to go . Starting to see a sign of some of the more uncomfortable pregnancy related symptoms this past week, hopefully they won't stick around too long. Also finding that wearing leggings/jeggings is starting to get uncomfortable, so will nosey in Asda/Tesco this weekend, try and find some nice dresses to wear as the warmer weather starts to make an appearance. Also have someone coming in to view our flat on Monday, so fingers crossed. I keep reminding myself that it only takes 1 person to like it. Looking forward to this weekend and having some down time. I seem to have been hit by absolute tiredness again, think I may have to tell the Brownies that I won't be there every week from now on.

Hope everyone else is keeping well.
    • sweetbabu
    • By sweetbabu 10th Mar 17, 11:24 PM
    • 97 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    sweetbabu
    I think it's made worse by the fact that I barely had any discernable bump in my first pregnancy until I was over 7 months - and then she was born at 36 +3, so I didn't have a long time with a bump!

And this time as well, when he lies at the top of my bump, I have to sit or stand very straight, which (bad as I know it is) as a real slouched is most uncomfortable!
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 12th Mar 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 8,218 Thanks
    newthrift
    Coming to say hello over here 24+2 and can't believe I'm now on to the big thread!!!!
    Was watching my bump actually move this morning in bed when baba was kicking which was so nice. I'm wondering if being able to identify feet/hands/elbows won't be far off now.
    Can anyone recommend where is reasonable priced for nursing vest tops? I'm popping out all my pj tops got and I thought it would make more sense to buy some I could use after too. Need to get some more sleep bras to go under as the ones I had initially are just too small now - speaking of which so are the bras. I'm becoming a walking boob and bump haha!
    Hope everyone is ok and enjoying this spring sunshine
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 12th Mar 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Welcome newthrift!

Hope everyone is doing ok. Happy due date cats, any news? No signs of arrivals from the 2 ladies i know irl who are also due today.

I'm absolutely exhausted and definitely struggling a bit emotionally at the moment. Starting to feel very real, my sleep is terrible and work is pretty tough at the moment. Have worked from home a little bit, but finding the person I'm handing over to pretty tough to work with (which is unusual for me) and have got upset about it a few times (although not at work, thankfully). Am going to speak to my supervisor tomorrow as right now the next 6 weeks at work seems pretty daunting so something needs to change. On the brighter side I went to best friend's for lunch yesterday with other best friend and they did a mini baby shower lunch which was lovely- but the 90 minute drive each way was a bit too much. I was also pretty honest with them when I said I was late as OH had tried to take a photo of me at 30 wks and then I cried for half an hour because I looked so fat and tired in it. Oops. When I first got pregnant someone told me that her memory of pregnancy was that you only have big emotions, and at the time I didn't fully appreciate what she meant but getting a sense of it now. Not long left though! Sorry for the whinge, I feel so ungrateful for complaining about what has been a relatively straightforward pregnancy.
    Last edited by penguingirl; 12-03-2017 at 7:05 PM.
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 12th Mar 17, 7:19 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    cats2012
    Hey penguin sorry to hear you're struggling, you can always vent to us on here :-) I've hated my last few bump pictures too although I keep being told I look lovely I don't feel it!

No sign of baby, not even a twinge. I walked 5 miles Friday, 4 yesterday and almost 3 today to try and coax her out, plus lots of raspberry leaf tea but I reckon she's comfy!! Could be a while. Although my sister told me tonight's full moon is supposed to help so you never know...!

Welcome newthrift too :-) I don't know about the tops you want as I've only bought just nursing ones ie not nursing and maternity in one, but mine are just H&M. Sleep bras I massively recommend the Jojo Maman Bebe ones - not the cheapest but super comfy.
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 13th Mar 17, 8:41 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Thanks cats, am feeling a bit more positive today so hoping work will be ok.

Hope little miss makes an appearance soon and the full moon has done the trick. Seriously impressed with your amount of walking! I was shattered after 2 miles on Thursday evening, but that was partly due to the very steep hill near my house, am much better on the flat. Going to get super arm muscles pushing the pram up that hill!
    • MancMama4
    • By MancMama4 13th Mar 17, 4:42 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    MancMama4
    Hi All, where on earth is the time going?!?! Charlie is 3 months old now!

So sorry it's so very late but huge congrats Tinks and Mouse, so delighted for you both.

Good luck cats! Xx
    MancMama4 (35) TTC since Apr 15, MMC Dec 15, Our Rainbow Baby Charlie arrived Dec 16
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 13th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    cats2012
    Hey MancMama! How is he doing? Over his shock early arrival?

No news here. In the last 24 hours I've done spicy food, mugs of raspberry leaf tea, birthing ball exercises, pineapple and walked another 4 miles but still not a twinge! Preparing myself for the long haul. ..
    • april87
    • By april87 13th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    april87
    Welcome Newthrift. Sorry can't help with the vests tops, I've been wearing the OHs tshirts for a while although may need to branch out soon. I love watching my bump move, I'm in awe every time I watch it move

Cats I am surprised you've had no sign of baby especially with all this walking. Here's hoping you meet her soon

Penguin I ope the emotions side of it calms down. It's just so unpredictable. With you on the exhaustion side of things, come the end of Monday I'm ready for it to be the weekend again.

Finding sleep uncomfortable, thought I'd splash out on a pillow as trying to position my normal pillows was just getting to be too much of a faff, they just wouldn't watch in position. 28 week appointment today, and baby is measuring just under the 50th centile. Got a nice clear heartbeat too this time so I'm quite happy
    • newthrift
    • By newthrift 13th Mar 17, 9:45 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 8,218 Thanks
    newthrift
    Thanks cats will take a look at those sleep bras. Keeping my fingers crossed for your little ones arrival soon.

Penguin & April I'm with you on the ready for the weekend again by the end of monday. Don't apologise for having a wine penguin, its a beautiful and very difficult time being pregnant, its surprised me how hard the uncomfortable sleeping is.

Mancmama - hope little Charlie is doing well.
    Christmas is the most magical time of the year
    Baby Newthrift due June 2017
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 14th Mar 17, 8:39 AM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Thanks ladies, feeling a bit better the last couple of days, is it weekend again yet?! Only 5.5 weeks left in work and going to work from home tomorrow. Had a chat with supervisor, and hopefully the handover plan is back on track. Plus going to get a few big pieces of work boxed off in the next week or so and then hopefully workload will start to reduce.

Cats, hope for some news soon!

MancMama- lovely to see you drop in and hope you and Charlie are doing well
    • Kanichen
    • By Kanichen 14th Mar 17, 10:08 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Kanichen
    Thought I would officially join in - I'm due May 8th with my second baby, I have a 3.5 year old girl already and this little bundle is a boy which is rather exciting! 32 weeks now, bump is enormous - very bored of all the comments it brings when out and about and not sure how much bigger it can get! I'm definitely bigger than I was with my first but as she was 8lb 12oz and second babies are often bigger and boys bigger still I can't say I am surprised.

Anyone else planning a home birth? I had an unplanned one last time and the midwives advised then as seconds often come even faster that I should plan a HB if I had another. Still got to pack a hospital bag though just incase I need to be transferred in. Also need to pack an overnight bag for my little girl incase she needs to go have a sleepover with one of the grandparents. The only things I used in the hospital bag last time were my nightie and straws. Mainly because it was in the boot of the car and they were the 2 things I absolutely needed and sent hubby to fetch. Make sure your hubbys know what clothes are what and where they are kept, I had tried to show mine and he dismissed it 'you'll be here I won't need to know that'. Cue a rabbit in the headlights when he got handed a newborn and told to go get her dressed while the midwives stitched me up! LOL. In the end a midwife rescued him and found the clothes herself! One other thing for hospital bag lists is a camera with spare batteries.

Finishing work very early this time as I need to use up my annual leave so i'll be off from the end of March. Very much looking forward to it as obviously with a preschooler already I don't get much time to myself.

To those trying to serve their babies with eviction notices - try not to walk too much. I mean its great and helps etc, but you do also need some energy to give birth A 5 mile walk triggering labour is great until you are in labour for 12 hours and too exhausted too push.....just something to bear in mind. Plus if we are anything like our animal friends then baby will come while we are nice and relaxed.

Hope everyone is well - my back is killing me and baby has decided after giving me a few days respite, that actually no he is quite comfy with his bottom tucked right under my ribs! Seeing my chiropractor this afternoon - hes rapidly becoming one of my favourite people!!
    • april87
    • By april87 14th Mar 17, 10:47 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 139 Thanks
    april87
    Glad to hear things are going a bit better penguin.

Question, for those who have started/looked at it, when did you start pulling together a birth plan? It wasn't mentioned yesterday at my appt. I have a feeling it'll be mentioned at my next appt, but I just want to get organised.

Kanichen, welcome. Not planning a HB so can't be of any help there. My sister like yourself had a very unexpected HB with her little one a few years back, so I'd like to hope I'm not as quick as hers. She didn't have time for anything, lucky she was at my mum's so had plenty of help from her.
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 14th Mar 17, 11:00 AM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 1,259 Thanks
    cats2012
    Welcome Kanichen! Totally understand about saving energy, thankfully I've been very fit throughout pregnancy so the walking feels absolutely fine. Still no sign though!

April we did my birth plan about 37/38 weeks, but in all honesty it's just a few key bullet points about the stuff we feel strongly about. Midwife had asked some key questions from 34 weeks I thinkI figured if I make it too detailed I'll get hung up on it when in reality there is so much we can't control.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 14th Mar 17, 11:28 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    arbrighton
    Eek, I am 24weeks today so I'm moving over here. Bit scary as it still doesn't seem real

Lots of kicks and a bump that managed to knock some eggs off the worktop at a friend's house over the weekend. Lots of things still to buy but we have car seat and pram. Not sleeping particularly well, it was easier last night when i migrated to the spare room
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 14th Mar 17, 1:16 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    Hi everyone,

Been busy the last few weeks but went to post on the other thread and figured at 25+6 I should be on this one now. Eek! Bump is getting ridiculous now (for me - used to being slim) especially as I had to admit it was time to give up with my usual leggings and sports bra after a very uncomfortable Pilates class 3 weeks ago. Luckily found amazing reasonably priced maternity sports leggings at Gap and had to buy a new sports bra that is literally twice the material (up from 30E to 34FF).
    It was worth it though as so much more comfortable!

My new job is great but the time is flying fast now I'm commuting into London every day.

Finally bought the pushchair at the weekend - DH and I had a discussion and decided that it just isn't important enough to us to justify even a mid-priced new one (can afford fine but we are hardcore budgeters - this is MSE after all ) so I went on eBay, bid on and won a used Britax B-Motion 4 which is compatible with our car seat. We live on a fast rural road without pavements so 100% of trips out will start in the car. We'll also be using a front pack / sling for our country walks so I just don't think we'll be using the pushchair much: probably only for shopping in town (a rarity) and letting the baby sleep at meals out. It claims to be suitable from birth but I'll have a play with it when it arrives and if it looks uncomfy or I dislike the forward-facing too much then we can buy the compatible carrycot separately.

How's everyone else doing on the pushchair (and other essentials) front? I think (unless I've forgotten something!) that it is our last big purchase. Only nappies and other smaller more disposable items to go. Oh and a Moses basket for the first few weeks I guess. What are everyone's plans for baby sleeping?

Hope the big day arrives soon cats!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 14th Mar 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    arbrighton
    We've bought Mothercare Journey- about the cheapest travel system we could find, new. And includes car seat, but like you snowscreamer, it's not going to be used that much in reality- I need to get a sling for taking bean when I walk the soon to be TWO (eek) dogs, as it's all off road/ path and can be pretty sludgy for much of the year.

Hiring bednest for our room for first six months and SIL is going to hand on Moses basket when new nephew gets a bit bigger (he's 5 weeks just now) which I'm hoping will be useful for naps downstairs unless i have velcro baby. Bean will be 8th baby to use the basket- obviously new mattress to sort there. Have changing table that BIL and SIL wanted rid of as now they have two who'll be in the same room, they don't have the space for it

Haven't bought anything else bar clothes in various sizes, particularly vests. OH isn't convinced we need that much stuff but really doesn't get the amount of clothing we might get through and how much of it makes up an actual wash.

I think we need to get:

Monitor
    sling
    Changing mat
    Cot for baby's room after 6 months (MIL wants to buy I think)
    nappies, wipes etcetc
    Breastpads/ maternity pads etc for me

Decide if I am going to try expressing so OH can feed sometimes too.

And a whole heap of other things
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 14th Mar 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Welcome Kanichen, arbrighton and snowscreamer.

Arbrighton- we've also gone for the journey, tbh I couldn't work out that many differences with lots of more expensive ones.

Baby is going to be in moses basket in our room. A colleague has said she will give me hers, but if that doesn't materialise we'll just pick up one from John Lewis.

Today another colleague gave me a big bag full of new born and 0-3 months clothes from her sister- it's all so small! And really good quality, I suspect some wasn't even worn.

I also want a sling but am going to wait until after baby is born and then go to the local sling library (they hold one at our children's centre) where you can get advice, try them out and hire them. I figured it would help me get one that suits us. Apparently some breastfeeding clinics also do breast pump hire for similar reasons.
    Last edited by penguingirl; 14-03-2017 at 7:04 PM.
    • snowscreamer
    • By snowscreamer 14th Mar 17, 6:35 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    snowscreamer
    penguingirl my plan is the same for the sling. My cousin's wife advised me that they went through 3 before finding one that suited their baby so I'm going to try before I buy... and also good idea to do the same re breast pumps. I'm not planning to buy upfront either - want to see how breastfeeding pans out and if it works at all first before forking out. If I am able to breastfeed than I'm sure I'll want to express so I'm able to have the occasional night out / let OH do night feeds! One piece of advice I had last week from a family friend is if you do breastfeed, try to start expressing and introducing a bottle by 6-8 weeks. Otherwise apparently baby may refuse a bottle and then you are stuck with breast only for the next 4 months without bottle as an option... this is what happened to her daughter who tried to introduce a bottle of expressed milk at 3 months!

So much to learn but starting to really feel that I'm getting there. Hopefully this parenting lark won't be too difficult!
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 14th Mar 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,204 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    penguingirl
    That's useful to think about snowscreamer. I'm like you in that I'm not buying any feeding stuff, and will just see what happens.

April- forgot to add about birth plan, we've got nct classes next week so plan to do it after those. But like cats I can't imagine I'm going to be hugely prescriptive- I want the calmest, least intrusive, least pain birth I can get away with, but obviously I have no idea what that will look like in reality. If it needs lots of drugs and procedures etc than so be it! For me it's probably more about stuff like having things explained to me and giving me choice wherever possible. Also everything I've heard about bounty reps makes me feel uncomfortable/annoyed so I may put in my plan that I don't want them to approach me! Also going to put in there the names that I and OH prefer to be called so it's easy to see.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

226Posts Today

1,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @EmmaDark30: @MartinSLewis off on holiday next month all paid for with free cash for switching bank accounts! Thank you!

• MSE weekly email: Big Energy Switch 7, £5 Next/Zara etc, buy euros now?, 10xNectar, 2for1 gardens, urgent easyjet https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's Twitter poll 2: following on, which of these professions would you trust least if you were using their services?

• Follow Martin