Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,108Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 450
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 14th Oct 16, 4:19 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    I had a suitcase that is cabin sized with all my stuff in, plus another bag with all of baby's stuff in.

I had disposable pants but never wore them as I had also got some proper full briefs too which I found very comfy- almost 5 weeks later and I'm still wearing them as my normal pants dig in to my scar too much.
    • Tinks05
    • By Tinks05 14th Oct 16, 5:32 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Tinks05
    I bought a cabin sized bag on wheels from eBay. It was only about £15. I've used the changing bag for babies stuff as I was advised to keep babies stuff separately to keep it all as easy as possible for hubby if he has to grab anything quickly.

Enjoy maternity leave those who have just finished work! I'm also very jealous. I've not sent my maternity allowance form off yet but I was planning on working til 5 days before due date. Having second thoughts now though!
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 14th Oct 16, 5:54 PM
    • 5,857 Posts
    • 38,807 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    Tinks my mat leave officially starts 1st November but I'm using up my leave. My company luckily are quite flexible as I ended up doing half days this week. I work in an office and it's not exactly stressful but I am finding I am getting a lot more tired and achey now (37 weeks today). You can change your maternity start date once you have set it though.. But obviously have to weigh up how much mat leave you use before baby arrives as it means less after.

Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 Became homeowners 26.02.16 Baby girl arrived 27.10.16

Debt Paid = £5040.27/£12,185.99 (41% paid off)
    RBS CC RBS LOAN MBNA 1 MBNA 2 BED FINANCE
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 14th Oct 16, 5:57 PM
    • 5,857 Posts
    • 38,807 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    Kynthia I've got a Moses basket for downstairs and a bedside crib for our bedroom. Firstly because we live in a townhouse and I'm not lugging the crib up and down every day but secondly a friend said it's quite good to have them sleep somewhere different during the day to nighttime so they learn to distinguish the difference and associate the night time sleeping place with it being nighttime ... She swears that's why her children were quite good sleepers early on. Obviously that could be completely different for others

Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 Became homeowners 26.02.16 Baby girl arrived 27.10.16

• Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 14th Oct 16, 8:31 PM
    • 4,702 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Tinks 5 days before due date!!! My commute was too hard for that and I work too far from home/hospital. My daughter was 8 days old at 5 days before her due date and I have a scary feeling that her sister might come earlier.

One of my NCT group was induced at 36+5 due to complications and another had hers at 39 weeks. A lady I managed at work was convinced she'd be overdue as it was her first and wanted to work until her due date. I convinced her to go a week before and her waters broke on her last day in the office, although it was another couple of days before she gave birth but I don't know if she was in labour that whole time.

I had a holdall for the labour and another with my overnight stuff and baby's things. However we were only allowed one bag at a time, so now I'd take less labour stuff. Maybe keep a seperate bag ready at home which someone can bring you if you need to stay more than one night as a couple of my group were in for 5 days and i'd hate to think what my husband would pick for me to wear.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 14th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 1,438 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    We had a large suitcase, a cabin luggage size backpack and a reusable carrier bag.

Fred's back up to his birth weight now after that initial scare. We've had to formula feed as OH's milk just hadn't come in - it seems like it may be starting to now, but it's off and on. Suspect due to small parts of the placenta/membranes staying in. Had a bit come out a few days ago and thing have seemed to pick up since then.

We're keeping him latching in the hope we may be able to switch back to fully breastfeeding. But have accepted that if we must stick with formula thrn it's not the end of the world. At least we know we gave it our best try. It doesn't mean that she won't be able to breastfeed future children.

Although both initially hugely disappointed and upset.

Been advised to use pumps and all sorts but as so little was coming out it was just causing stress. Obviously her getting stressed was just going to make it less likely to get the milk in.

Most important thing is that he's feeding - and that we're all happy and able to focus on being a family. Stressing out over the method of feeding doesn't help anyone!
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 14-10-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    Mortgage remaining £54,044/£77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target 1st May 17 - £23,910.51 / £25,000
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 14th Oct 16, 10:25 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    Glad to hear Fred is doing well Freddie. I definitely agree that the most important thing is that you are all happy and healthy, and if that means bottle feeding then so be it. It's important that Mrs Freddie is happy and able to enjoy her time with Fred rather than feeling down or frustrated or tired (or all three) by continuing to breastfeed if it isn't working.

I've just remembered that we also had a rucksack that had drinks and snacks for both me and oh along with things such as my notes and anything that we wanted to get to easily. We took the rucksack and suitcase in with us when I went into labour and then when little one finally arrived oh went back to the car for the other bag which just had little ones stuff in.
    • pink petal
    • By pink petal 16th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    pink petal
    Never thought of a cabin sized case! I'll use that for me and the change bag to put the babies things in.

Had a tiring weekend starting with a night out on Friday that I'd planned to just be a few hours but then I was enjoying myself and lost track of time and before I knew it somehow it was 1am, no idea how I managed that. Paid for it on Saturday - I was exhausted! We did lots of diy in the loft, mostly plastering which was harder than we thought it would be! Second coat next weekend!

How was everyone's weekends?
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 16th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 5,857 Posts
    • 38,807 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    Hope you feel more rested today pink!

I was up all night Friday unwell, think it was what we had for dinner. But felt awful al day Saturday as I was so physically exhausted... Luckily all I had to do was sit in the hairdressers for 4 hours getting my hair coloured then DH and I spent the afternoon on the sofa! Today we met friends for lunch near Thetford forest which was nice... Weird to think next time we see them, we will be parents!

Got a hypnobirthing course this week so need to get on and read the book and start practising the breathing, mindfulness etc. I'll be 38 weeks on Friday, and we are getting the train from Essex to Edinburgh for a friend wedding... Am planning to take the hospital bag with my stuff in it but it also depends how much other stuff we need to take (kilts are not the lightest things to be lugging across London on the train!). Have started taking evening primrose oil, eating dates daily and drinking raspberry leaf tea too... Willing to try anything and everything that might potentially help!

• Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 17th Oct 16, 5:24 AM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 4,110 Thanks
    Beckyy
    I'm glad baby Fred is back up to his birth weight Freddie, and I hope Mrs. F's milk does come in.
    • MancMama4
    • By MancMama4 17th Oct 16, 9:31 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    MancMama4
    Psycho I remember you mentioning that wedding months ago, wow time is flying can't believe it! Hope you have a brill time x
    MancMama4 (35) TTC since Apr 15, MMC Dec 15, Our Rainbow Baby Boy Due Jan 17
    • MancMama4
    • By MancMama4 17th Oct 16, 9:32 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    MancMama4
    Freddie I'm so pleased Fred's weight is going back up and he's feeding well - most important thing, too much pressure to BF I think, as long as the 3 of you are happy and he's thriving who cares?
    • Tinks05
    • By Tinks05 17th Oct 16, 4:44 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Tinks05
    Glad to hear you're all doing well Freddie!

I've received a penalty charge notice from the NHS for claiming free prescriptions today! So angry! It's from July, so I was around 16 weeks pregnant. I was advised by my midwife to use my pregnancy notes until my exemption certificate arrived (only arrived last week, 7 months pregnant, but that's a whole different story!). I've contested it this morning but from what I've read on the internet it looks like I'm going to have to pay. Over £50! Ridiculous.
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 17th Oct 16, 4:52 PM
    • 5,857 Posts
    • 38,807 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    What the heck Tinks?! That is ridiculous! You can prove by dates you were pregnant!!

• Tinks05
    • By Tinks05 17th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Tinks05
    What the heck Tinks?! That is ridiculous! You can prove by dates you were pregnant!!
    Originally posted by psychopathbabble
    I thought the same! But from what I've read apparently until you have the certificate you have to pay and claim it back. The amount of people that claim free prescriptions when they're not entitled to them yet it's genuine people that get these fines. It seems insane!
    • MancMama4
    • By MancMama4 18th Oct 16, 9:20 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 870 Thanks
    MancMama4
    Tinks that is shocking!! Hope you manage to get it sorted x
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 18th Oct 16, 11:02 AM
    • 4,702 Posts
    • 6,715 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Unfortunately when I had to reapply for my certificate due to it not arriving I was told I could only go back a month before I received it to get refunds. I blame whoever let you use your notes as they should have known the rules more than you. I hope you successfully contest it.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • pink petal
    • By pink petal 18th Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 345 Posts
    • 560 Thanks
    pink petal
    That's really bad Tinks! We get free prescriptions in Scotland anyway but I was told I couldn't get my free dental treatment at my last appointment as I was only 16 weeks and the baby wasn't considered 'viable' at that point. I know what they mean by it, but what a horrible thing to say!

I hope they don't need my actual certificate at my next appointment as my HR dept have taken it from me and kept it! I only have copies now!
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 18th Oct 16, 3:58 PM
    • 5,857 Posts
    • 38,807 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    That's utter rubbish pink, I had a free dental check up at 12 weeks!

• Pidge_jen
    • By Pidge_jen 18th Oct 16, 7:08 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Pidge_jen
    Hi, I've just found out I'm almost 5 weeks pregnant happy but a bit shocked as we had only been trying since the end of September. Due date 21st June 2017. Hope everyone is well and if you have any advice I would be more than happy to hear it - I am already a "hormone casserole" - thanks to Grey's Anatomy for that term!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

546Posts Today

3,536Users online

Martin's Twitter