Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,108Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 449
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 10th Oct 16, 12:55 PM
    • 5,843 Posts
    • 38,779 Thanks
    Wow congratulations Beckyy! Glad to hear it was a better experience than you were expecting... it fills me with confidence. Hope you get positioning sorted. x

Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 Became homeowners 26.02.16 Baby due 04.11.16

Debt Paid = £3888.89/£12,185.99 (32% paid off)
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 10th Oct 16, 2:22 PM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 6,537 Thanks
    Due date today, though technically still a few days to go in my mind. No sign yet and I'm quite certain baby still hasn't engaged. It's making me a bit nervous in case he's too big or the risk of cord prolapse if my waters break first but there's not a lot I can do apart from the birthing ball and trying not to sit about.

I've added you on newcook, and updated freddie to the birth list

Due Date list:
    1. Beckyy - 1st October
    2. psychopathbabble - 4th Nov
    3. justme1985 - 14th November
    4. 2016mum - 19th November
    5. Kynthia - 28th November
    6. kennyvinegar - 27th December
    7. Tinks05 - 28th December
    8. Pink Petal - 1st January
    9. newcook - 2nd January
    10. MancMama4 - 6th January

When you see this post do your pelvic floor exercises

Hospital Bag List here
    Supplement List and Dosage here

***BIRTH LIST*** - Within the last month or so

Becca0417 - - 1st July - 6lb 3
    skintbuthappy81 - Joshua - 2nd July - 8lb 10
    Euronorris - Mia Abigail - 4th July - 7lb 15
    Gelly123 - Jasmine Hope - 8th July - 7lb 4
    Tatabubbly - MJ - 15th July
    flutterbyuk25 - Lenny Otter- 9th August - 8lb 12
    crazycatlady - Zoe Lauren - 17th August - 6lb 8
    jtr2803 - Jessica Christine Lee Cox - 25th August - 7lb 4
    ThinkPink - - 12th September
    freddiefrugal - - 'Fred' - Frederick Nathaniel - 29th September - 6lb 2

[Allow 2 weeks after EDD before transferring to this list (Max 6 weeks)]

Rinroo - 6 August

Please post your birth stories here when you have time/energy
    Originally posted by Beckyy
    Congratulations Becky! It's great that it went well. Looks like us November lot are next.

Is anyone else taking tge supplements recommended such a Evening Primrose Oil and calcium?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 10th Oct 16, 2:28 PM
    • 5,843 Posts
    • 38,779 Thanks
    Kynthia, I've just got evening primrose oil to start taking next week - had to get 1000mg capsules but I read that you can start taking 3-4 x 500mg from 37 weeks. I've not seen calcium recommended but I've been taking antenatal vitamins, omega 3, floradix (iron and b supplement meant to help leg cramps) pretty much throughout the pregnancy.

Last week I also started eating dates (meant to help soften cervix) and drinking raspberry leaf tea (1 a day from 34 weeks, 2 a day from 36 weeks and will up to 3 a day from 38/39).

• MancMama4
    • By MancMama4 10th Oct 16, 3:38 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Wow so much is happening on here since I logged on last week!

Becky huge congratulations on your new arrival and hope all is well. That's amazing that you were 9cm when you got to hospital, talk about perfect timing. Sending you lots of love.

Freddie how is Mrs F/Fred getting on today? I hope it all clicks for you soon, but try not to let her be too hard on herself, I think the pressure to bf is immense these days, you both know your child best and as long as he is happy and healthy it doesn't matter if he's bottle or b00b.

We built the snuzpod at weekend (bit fiddly!) and its beautiful - I just keep staring at it and the nursery and thinking how different things will be in 3 months.... also popped to the Baby & Toddler Show and ordered the travel system and got a few other bits which makes it feel even more real. 8 weeks of work left!!

Lulu its lovely to see you on here and glad your little ladies are doing so well Xx
    MancMama4 (35) TTC since Apr 15, MMC Dec 15, Our Rainbow Baby Boy Due Jan 17
    • pink petal
    • By pink petal 10th Oct 16, 3:54 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    pink petal
    Congrats Beckyy! Your labour sounds like a breeze...I'll have some of that please!

I had my 28 week midwife appointment today, heartbeat fine and measuring the correct size. I mentioned how tired I'd been recently and they took bloods to check for an iron deficiency so I should hear back at that in a few days. Was prompted again to book in for whooping cough and flu vaccines so I've stuck a massive post-it on my desk at work to remind myself to phone tomorrow!

Had a busy weekend, our loft is done and looking amazing but now needs the walls plastered, decorated and we need to get a carpet. Will hopefully sort the plastering in the next couple of weeks and then the decorating is the easy part. So pleased with it though, they've done a brilliant job!

Mancmama, I ordered our snuzpod at the weekend...what colour did you go for? We went white in the end but really liked quite a few of them! I also ordered a Sleephead baby cushiony thing to use inside the snuz as I've read such good things about them. A few people have told me it's the best thing they've bought! Looking forward to getting them delivered although they'll be at my mums for now until we can clear the spare room into the loft!
    • MancMama4
    • By MancMama4 10th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    PP glad the loft is shaping up well! We went for the dove grey snuzpod as it matches our grey and white theme. We got some of the bedding too, its such good quality and lovely patterns.

I just couldn't justify getting a sleepyhead after everything we've spent this weekend although I think they're beautiful - we got a cheaper version called a Poddle Pod (£35) at the show which looks lovely for casual naps and tummy time and hopefully will do the job.
    • pink petal
    • By pink petal 10th Oct 16, 4:40 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    pink petal
    Love the dove grey one, that was the one we were torn between. I let OH pick in the end and he went white!

I know what you mean about the cost of the sleepyhead...we got a good deal on my brother bought us the snuzpod in the end so we'd saved a bit of money there. I saw the poddle pod when I was researching and it looks fab too, there was also one called Babymoov which looked good but we ended up getting the sleepyhead for not much more than that would have cost so just went for it!

The snuzpod bedding is gorgeous, i think we're going to order the grey stuff with the cloud pattern (our theme is also grey and white but with added pastels, on cushions, mobile etc)
    • Tinks05
    • By Tinks05 10th Oct 16, 6:20 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Congrats Becky! Sounds like the perfect birth. Hope you and baby are doing well.

Freddie - Hope you and MrsF is doing okay too?

I'm impressed with how quickly they've got your loft done Pink! Doesn't sound like you're far off been finished!

I've got a check up with the midwife appointment tomorrow and my anti-D injection at the hospital. Had a phone call today to say the lab are refusing to issue the injection as I haven't had any bloods done recently. I've not missed any appointments and was due to have them done with the midwife tomorrow anyway. Now got to go to the hospital earlier and get the bloods done then hang around for them to issue the injection so guess it's going to be a long day.

We picked our pram up last week and they've sent the car seat in the wrong colour. They're out of stock everywhere too so it's not looking likely that they're going to get us the right one before baby arrives.

We're going up to Scotland in a few weeks to visit family so thought I better get my hospital bag ready to take with us just to be on the safe side so that was the job for last weekend. It suddenly all feels very real!
    • rubywhatashmoo
    • By rubywhatashmoo 10th Oct 16, 7:52 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 3,353 Thanks
    Congratulations Beckyy!! Sounds like a good experience overall I'm so pleased for you and hope that the BF midwife can help

This weekend we painted the living room which took FOREVER - walls and ceiling but it looks lovely and clean and shiny now! I can actually imagine that all the work around the house might one day be finished which is nice! Just in time to list it for sale and have a baby I need to pick my times better.

The lab should only need to have had a sample through your current pregnancy to be able to issue Anti-D - you only routinely get tested for a group & screen twice per pregnancy so it'd hold things up if every RhNeg woman had to have another sample taken - sounds a bit disorganised - hope they get your sample tested sharpish so at least you won't need to hang around too long!
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 10th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 1,729 Thanks
    Congratulations beckyy, what have you called him. Hope you get the support you need with breastfeeding.
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 10th Oct 16, 9:35 PM
    • 931 Posts
    • 842 Thanks
    Congratulations Beckyy! Hope you're all doing well.
    • Tinks05
    • By Tinks05 11th Oct 16, 5:03 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    We ended up having a long day at the hospital. We had a midwife appointment first thing this morning and they picked up an ectopic beat which they wanted us to get checked out at the hospital. They monitored babies heartbeat and we also had two scans. They don't seem too concerned and it seems to be a reasonably common thing but it's still worrying me, which I guess is only natural. We've got to go for weekly monitoring now but they're hoping it will right itself by 34 weeks.
    • justme1985
    • By justme1985 12th Oct 16, 12:23 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Congratulations Beckyy!

After lots of scans and a MRI the consultants have now recommended that I am induced at 37 -38 weeks (so any time from the 24th ). Luckily we are now back to our local hospital for a scan next week and don't need to travel over an hour for the scan!

It's been an exhausting few weeks!!

Hope everyone else is doing well.
    • MancMama4
    • By MancMama4 12th Oct 16, 2:06 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Tinks what a day! Hope you're feeling ok now, at least they are taking good care of you.

justme wow the 24th seems like no time! Glad all is ok x
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 12th Oct 16, 8:35 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 1,433 Thanks
    Congratulations Beckyy!
    Mortgage remaining £54,044/£77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target 1st May 17 - £23,910.51 / £25,000
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 13th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 6,537 Thanks
    Justme at least you have advance warning and can be prepared. It's stressful when people give birth before 37 weeks and haven't even bought everything the baby needs. Although you find you can buy most things quite quickly when you need to.

Tinks if tgey aren't worried then try not to be as usually tge medical profession can make things sound scary when they tell you all tge risks and worse case scenarios. So if they are calm, say it's common and are happy just to check again later then don't let it ruin things for you and try to enjoy parts of tge pregnancy still.

It's my last day at work today. The PGP doesn't fit well with the long hours and long commute so i'm going early. As I say I might never be going back and after 12 years that feels very sad. However I'm with a newish team so I doubt I'll get much of a send off but they'll be nice. So i'm lugging cakes in and trying to think of all the people to email a goodbye to that are on different floors of the building.
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 13th Oct 16, 11:25 AM
    • 5,843 Posts
    • 38,779 Thanks
    Kynthia it's my last day too (finishing at lunchtime). Good luck and I hope you have a lovely day.

• Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 13th Oct 16, 10:01 PM
    • 2,677 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    Thank you for all the kind wishes!

I hope you both had god last days at work!

Trying to think of anything useful while I remember...

I've found the disposable knickers great if you haven't got any in your hospital bag, much easier than worrying about normal ones for the first few days at least, soft pads (I used Natracare) are a definite too, comfy on stitches and softer to sit on! I'd also try and plan your hospital route to include the smoothest roads possible, potholes and bumps feel so much worse when youre in labour!!

Disposable changing mats have been really handy, for both changing baby and for when getting out of the shower etc. while you're still bleeding. Some kind of bra that has stretchy cups too so that you definitely have something that fits when your milk comes in.

I hope everyone is well!
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 14th Oct 16, 11:19 AM
    • 4,559 Posts
    • 6,537 Thanks
    I remember opening the box of disposable maternity knickers in the hospital shower, which looked like a scene from Psycho as I was bleeding everywhere and was shaking, and realising only then that they didn't come with a maternity pad! So bring them too, and shampoo. A cheap pack of big cheap knickers from Primark or somewhere similar is a good option.

My last day was fine and it's good to know I've time to prepare now. I must be the only person who works late on their last day as most of my staff and my boss left before me!

I'm tempted to get one of those mesh cribs you've mentioned instead of the wooden one I have already. Do I also get a moses basket or not as I'd need a raised option for downstairs so that the 2 year old is less likely to run over the baby in her scooter or something.
    • pink petal
    • By pink petal 14th Oct 16, 11:54 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    pink petal
    How big of a bag is everyone using as a hospital bag?? Every time someone suggests something to go in I write it down and I have a list as long as my arm...I don't think I have a big enough bag! And that's before anything for the baby! haha!

Very jealous of everyone finishing up work..I've got just under 8 weeks to go...not that I'm counting!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,597Users online

Martin's Twitter