Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,108Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 443
    • rubywhatashmoo
    • By rubywhatashmoo 22nd Sep 16, 8:44 AM
    • 554 Posts
    • 3,352 Thanks
    rubywhatashmoo
    Kynthia - after my session we can self refer if the advice they've given us hasn't helped - I'm guessing that for some mums though they can "get away" with seeing them in a group - I feel very aware of my pelvis since yesterday - not sure if that's a good or bad thing?! I'm hoping I won't need to go again - wearing my lovely support tubing thing today which feels like it's squashing my insides but I'll give it a go for today and see how I feel! I don't have a birthing ball but they had us sit on them at the session yesterday and the one I had wasn't fully inflated so felt like I was going to fall either right through it or roll off the top and be stuck on the floor like a turtle I should get one really though - but make sure it's PUMPED!!

They grabbed me for my flu jab while I was seeing the midwife yesterday so that's it for vaccinations now this year Nice having these things ticked off the to do list.
    • pink petal
    • By pink petal 22nd Sep 16, 9:21 AM
    • 305 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    pink petal
    welcome to the thread newcook!!

We've also been looking at ISAs and bank accounts but definitely waiting til I come back to work after maternity leave before we open one, or at least til we put anything in it. We may open one sooner to put any money she's given when she's born so I'll be interested in what others think are good deals! We thought about the lifetime ISA because if I take it til I'm 60 then that would mean our daughter would be 23...which is quite a good age to get the money I think. I don't know all the ins and outs though so will need to do some proper research.

I definitely need to invest in one of those birthing balls, we were shown at our birthing class how to use them to rotate and help the cervix dilate when in labour...every little helps!
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 22nd Sep 16, 9:29 AM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Ruby, the ball needs to be high enough that your hips are higher than your knees when you sit on it. Otherwise it adds pressure to your pelvis. So inflate it fully or buy a big one. I think if your 5'7" plus they recommend 65cm. I need to give away my 55cm one and get a bigger one.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 22nd Sep 16, 1:05 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    Beckyy
    I got a birthing ball on amazon, there are some quite reasonably priced. Mine is by Birth Ease. It's worth making sure you get one that comes with a pump (unless you already have one handy).
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 23rd Sep 16, 9:09 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    Kynthia
    I had a day off child free yesterday. So I got my whooping cough and flu vaccines in the morning. Note that the flu jab one left my arm sore and the whooping cough one didn't, so I was glad my sore arm wasn't the one I sleep on.

I then went for a brief tour of the local midwife - led birthing unit. It turns out they run them three times a week and you don't have to book. It looks fab! Dad's can stay overnight, each room is large with a permanent or inflatable pool, there are birthing balls/birthing stools/couches and there's a kitchen for you to make hot drinks and snacks. I'm very happy to go there.

Then I went to Mothercare where there is a small sale and bought some new clothes for the baby. It was fun to buy some pretty things as I felt I missed out last time when I didn't know what gender I was having. I also picked up a starter pack of baby milk to take to the hospital or for the first few days at home. It's a few bottles of ready made formula with sterilised disposable teats that affix to them. It seems handy for if you are hoping to breastfeed but want to be ready with formula in case it doesn't happen and then don't have to worry about having sterilised bottles to hand.

Then this morning I emailed Kiddy, who make lay-flat car seats, and found the adapters needed to affix it to my existing travel system are the same as for Maxi Cosi carseats. Result, as I already have them as that's the carseat I used last time. Plus I ordered a buggy board for my daughter to use.

It feels so nice to get so much done. I hope you all well and looking forward to the weekend.
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 23rd Sep 16, 9:55 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    I got one of the sma starter kits and am so glad I had it as I wasn't able to breastfeed. The hospital had little bottles and a range of teats so as we were in for so long we used a couple of the starter kits then went on to the cartons and the hospital bottles and teats.

If anyone has a wilko near them I recommend their cotton wool roll, it's only £1 for a roll and it lasts ages plus it doesn't leave bits all over baby like we found the superdrug pleated roll did. We also got a pack of water wipes for the night time changes which makes things much easier (saves having to go to the bathroom and wait for warm water!!).

I would also just make you either have plenty of change for the hospital car park or check that the machine takes cards or notes. I still can't believe we spent about £80 on car parking for oh to visit us whilst we were in!!!
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 23rd Sep 16, 10:08 PM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 38,751 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    With parking at the hospital, ask about buying longer term tickets if it ends up you are staying in. When my friend was in hospital I got a ticket that lasted a few days from inside the hospital rather than at the machine and it was significantly cheaper.

Of course, depending on the hospital and car park, you could always leave a note in your car saying 'labour ward' as they probably don't check too often!

Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 Became homeowners 26.02.16 Baby due 04.11.16

Debt Paid = £2555.82/£12,185.99 (21% paid off)
    RBS CC RBS LOAN MBNA 1 MBNA 2 BED FINANCE
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 23rd Sep 16, 11:22 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Ha ha, you've reminded me of the parking when I had my daughter. The hospital car park was pay and display and my husband was miffed that he'd paid for three hours when we first went in but was sent home at only 2cm. When we went back 4 hours later he clearly wasn't keen to make the same mistake again, despite the fact I was screaming and pushing. So he dropped me at the entrance, parked, paid for an hour and wrote 'giving birth' on a piece of paper. I think it was 6 hours later when he got back to the car and there was no ticket despite our concerns.
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 24th Sep 16, 7:41 AM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 38,751 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    Kynthia - bless him! exactly how I feel most of the time when I get there, minimum charge is £3 for 3 hours but im usually only in for half an hour! I think if you buy the tickets from the bit inside (can never remember what it's called but it's a little cashier window) then the hospital gets the money too rather than the car park company.

I was given tickets to mums net baby fest today so after we collect DH new car (he has given up his A5 for a more practical SUV type car) we will be heading there. Not sure we actually need anything but I like going along to these things means we also park at Westfield so I can drag him into some shops too!

• Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 24th Sep 16, 8:23 AM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    Beckyy
    NHS sites are free to park in throughout Scotland. I know hospital parking charges in England are high... but £80 is awful to expect anybody to pay

7 days to go here. Baby still very active, bump feels much lower but I don't know if he's fully engaged yet as whilst I'm getting more pressure low down he still seems to be able to move a fair bit - not sure if he could if fully engaged? Very strange thinking this could be our last weekend as just 2 of us.

I hope everyone is well?
    Last edited by Beckyy; 24-09-2016 at 8:25 AM.
    • euronorris
    • By euronorris 24th Sep 16, 10:42 AM
    • 9,789 Posts
    • 45,308 Thanks
    euronorris
    It's worth checking with the maternity unit about the parking policy for giving birth. At our hospital, when you go there to give birth/induction, you buy a ticket for minimum time and then go and tell reception why you're there. They then give you a ticket (for free) where you can scratch off the date and it's valid for a week. You can leave and come back then (for the dad's) so it's not super expensive on the parking.
    • rubywhatashmoo
    • By rubywhatashmoo 24th Sep 16, 11:49 AM
    • 554 Posts
    • 3,352 Thanks
    rubywhatashmoo
    Parking at our hospital isn't too bad - it's £3.50 for upto 24 hours and you can get a weekly pass for only a fiver so if you're expecting to be in for a few days it's worth getting one of those instead. If baby ends up in SCBU you get free parking to visit for as long as they're in too - doesn't sound bad but neither of us drive anyway so it'll be taxis or my Mum picking us up at some point anyway!
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 24th Sep 16, 12:02 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Rubywhatashmoo

Are you:

Ruby, what a shmoo!

or

Ruby what ash moo?!

or

Ruby wha? t'ash moo!!

or

Ruby W - hat - ash - moo

It's bothered me since I first saw the name on this board. Please explain!
    Mortgage remaining £54,044/£77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target 1st May 17 - £22,371.51 / £25,000
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 24th Sep 16, 1:27 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    Unfortunately our hospital is pay on exit with barriers and no option to buy a long stay ticket or anything. If I had been able to go to the mlu I wanted to go to it was £9 for up to 24 hours, but at the hospital we went to its about £12 every 12 hours. I think it's so unfair, but there isn't much choice (there is on road parking about 5 mins away but it's not in a nice area at all and I wouldn't want to leave my car there all day). Luckily we had the money but I'm sure some people would struggle to pay out that much money and may have to opt not to visit for so long, but there's no way you could have kept oh away, he was there 9am to 9 pm every day!!!
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 24th Sep 16, 2:24 PM
    • 5,814 Posts
    • 38,751 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    That's awful ThinkPink.

We just went to the mumsnet baby fest and if anyone considers it next year I wouldn't bother. We didn't pay for our tickets but if I had I would have been a little miffed. However, now going to make up for it shopping in Westfield on the way home

• pink petal
    • By pink petal 24th Sep 16, 5:51 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    pink petal
    NHS sites are free to park in throughout Scotland. I know hospital parking charges in England are high... but £80 is awful to expect anybody to pay
    Originally posted by Beckyy
    Not all free in Scotland. The car park at the Princess Royal in Glasgow is expensive! It's also a good 5 min walk from the entrance to the maternity part of the hospital so I really hope I'm not in too much pain when I get to the hospital on d-day!
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 24th Sep 16, 5:57 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 4,087 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Not all free in Scotland. The car park at the Princess Royal in Glasgow is expensive! It's also a good 5 min walk from the entrance to the maternity part of the hospital so I really hope I'm not in too much pain when I get to the hospital on d-day!
    Originally posted by pink petal

I've just read that there are 3/4 hospitals still with parking charges, very unfair when they were abolished at all the others!
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 24th Sep 16, 6:39 PM
    • 1,381 Posts
    • 1,425 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Ours is £5 for 24 hours. You can get a month parking permit for £10, need to get a form from the department that's taking care of you then take that to a general office somewhere in the hospital. So I'd get one of those if she has to stay in for a while
    Mortgage remaining £54,044/£77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target 1st May 17 - £22,371.51 / £25,000
    • Toots14
    • By Toots14 24th Sep 16, 7:42 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    Toots14
    The hospital we used, Raigmore in Inverness is free. Downside is its almost impossible to get a space during the day as a lot of city workers park there as the centre is so expensive. It's also ages away from the maternity unit. The walk from the hospital to the car after being discharged was like a half marathon for me after my section. If you can get the car closer I recommend!
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 24th Sep 16, 8:14 PM
    • 4,459 Posts
    • 6,416 Thanks
    Kynthia
    £18 if you stay over 12 hours! Plus at many points of tge day the queue to enter the car park stretches down the site around two mini roundabouts and then down the dual carriageway past the traffic lights! Let's hope I don't arrive at 9cm unable to walk thus time as I could have it in the car while just queuing to get near the entrance.

I've just looked at the parking charges bit of the hospital website and there is a section on concessions. This includes a week of free parking for you if you are admitted for any reason, a parent of a child in certain wards/units gets 5 days free and a birthing partner gets free parking until mum is transferred to the post natal ward. It seems like it's worth looking or asking when you're at hospital.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,064Posts Today

6,286Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin