Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • becca0417
    • By becca0417 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    • 3,108Posts
    • 14,372Thanks
    becca0417
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28
    • 10th Feb 14, 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28 10th Feb 14 at 7:07 PM
    MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

What's it about?

Back in July 2006 Bailey started this thread to help all pregnant MoneySavers and their partners save on anything pregnancy-related plus give each other moral support. It's been hugely popular and now has a long list of pregnant mothers-to-be.

Now it's not just for those that are pregnant but also those trying to conceive and MoneySavers that have probably already given birth and yet are probably too tired to let everyone know.

What should you do?

As well as being a great source of tips, baby-related bargains spotted, mutual support and help MoneySavers here have also gradually built up a list, adding themselves to one of these categories (the last one, people are moved to for obvious reasons!):

EDD (Estimated due date if you're pregnant)
    TTC (trying to conceive if you're not) we now have 2 seperate threads for people TTC - 'Trying for a Baby' and 'Trying for a baby (12+ M/not straightforward)'
    Birth List
    Probably given birth but too worn out to log on list

If you want to add yourself to the list follow these steps:

Click on the link at the top of this page that says "Last" (it'll take you to the last page of the discussion)
    Scroll down until you find the message with the very latest copy of the list in (if you use one further up the discussion other peoples' changes after that will be lost)
    Copy that (highlight it and click control+c)
    Click reply at the bottom of the thread to open a screen where you can past it (click control+p)
    Add yourself to the list then click save
    And don't feel shy. Introduce yourself, say hello and ask a question if you need to.

Plus, if you're thinking of how to cut down on nappy costs remember to have a read of the Nappy MoneySaving article too and for later down the line if you need childcare first read the Childcare Vouchers article.

Also please don't forget that this is a public forum and anyone could be reading it. Don't let this put you off discussing anything personal, just please be aware that the people posting on the thread may not be the only ones reading (it may just be that these people, aka lurkers, are too shy to post).

If you're new to the Forum it can look scattergun but read down and remember it's a conversation, starting with first post, scrolling forward for the latest. To reply you'll need to join the Forum but it's free to do.

This is a continuation of this thread which will be closed due to it's length.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 08-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    First baby due 3/3/14 - Team Yellow! Our little girl born 25/2/14
Page 442
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 20th Sep 16, 12:22 PM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Congratulations ThinkPink, glad to hear that you're both home. I hope you're recovering well from the c-section, the important thing is that you're both well and healthy.
    • flutterbyuk25
    • By flutterbyuk25 20th Sep 16, 12:52 PM
    • 6,933 Posts
    • 35,226 Thanks
    flutterbyuk25
    Congrats ThinkPink x
    100 years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like, but the world may be a little better because I was important in the life of a child.

279 251
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 20th Sep 16, 1:42 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    Oh and one thing to add is if anyone ends up needing a c section and gets really bad shoulder pain tell the midwife. I had awful pain in mine but it wasnt until a couple of days later that it was hurting when the midwife popped in and I told her. Turns out it was do with gas so she gave me something peppermint based and it went after that. This was had been one of the issues I was having with breastfeeding as it hurts so much I couldn't get comfy so thought I would share with you all to avoid anyone else going through days of pain.x
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 20th Sep 16, 4:16 PM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 6,397 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Shoulder pain is often caused by air in your abdominal cavity pressing against your diaphragm. It's one of those weird referred pain things where the pain is in a different location to the cause. My sympathies ThinkPink as I've heard it's very painful. Laying flat and remedies for trapped wind (such as peppermint) can help. I'm glad the midwife had something that helped.

For those that were considering going part time but wanted to know more about how it would affect their pay then this site is good:
    http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php
    If someone was full time and wanted to drop to four days a week but see whether it was worth it then find out your weekly take home pay. Then take 20% off your full time salary and see what your weekly take home pay drops to. The difference between the two is what you lose each week in your salary for that first day (due to the tax free allowance often the first day off loses you the least take home pay). If you take off the costs you will save by not working that day such as nursery and travel you can see whether you'd be better off not working that day, or the cost is worth it to you.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 20th Sep 16, 10:23 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Sorry you had to be in longer than you'd have liked ThinkPink but glad you're home now with Seb.

Finally got rid of the builders today! They're fully paid up and gone!

Agreed to take money off for me having to finish off the floor. Had to redo the guttering as they'd done it all wonky and it was already leaking.

It's fine now...why they're so rubbish I don't know - they seem to be getting a lot of work for such mediocre tradesmen!

But really I don't care, it's such a huge weight lifted just knowing we've got our home back to ourselves again
    Mortgage remaining £54,044/£77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target 1st May 17 - £22,371.51 / £25,000
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 20th Sep 16, 11:35 PM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 6,397 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Wow, you've finally got rid of the builders! That's great news. Nice to have your house back.
    • pink petal
    • By pink petal 21st Sep 16, 8:41 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 543 Thanks
    pink petal
    Good news Freddie! We've got our guys coming in to do the loft in the first week of October. They've promised it'll only take a week...
    • newcook
    • By newcook 21st Sep 16, 9:26 AM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 8,233 Thanks
    newcook
    knock knock! I've made it to the big girls thread lol!!

Hi all! I thought it was about time I made my way over from 12-24 week as Im now 25+2 - I cant believe how fast its going!

I dont post often as life and work seems to get in the way of my internet surfing but I'll try to catch up whenever I can!
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 21st Sep 16, 10:48 AM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    Beckyy
    Hi newcook, welcome over! I hope you've been keeping well so far, wishing you a happy and healthy remaining few months

Glad to hear to builders have vacated Freddie, I hope there isn't much left for you to do.

I need to have a look into baby bank accounts in the next week or so... hoping to have one picked out ready to open for him.

Christmas shopping is mostly there, and started wrapping things too

10 days remaining going by EDD

Bump feels lower now and baby quite active in the evenings. Still keeping up swimming but hoping he stays put until at least the end of next week as I've got a few bits and pieces to get sorted

I hope everyone is keeping well?
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 21st Sep 16, 11:25 AM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    Would be interested to hear which savings account you go for beckyy as I've started looking into it, but have to admit I'm quite lazy and tend to go for easier options (such as sticking with my current bank) rather than shipping around for the best deals.

Sebastian is all official, we went and registered him this morning so we can now set up his bank account and send off the form for child benefit.
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 21st Sep 16, 12:31 PM
    • 5,807 Posts
    • 38,746 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    Beckyy if you find anything you think is useful re bank accounts please let us know... I would like to open one as soon as I can to get saving x

Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 Became homeowners 26.02.16 Baby due 04.11.16

Debt Paid = £2555.82/£12,185.99 (21% paid off)
    RBS CC RBS LOAN MBNA 1 MBNA 2 BED FINANCE
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 21st Sep 16, 12:56 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Platelets lower again. They've sent referal to anaesthetist at hospital. Said her next appointment 40+1, they'd offer to do a sweep. Which I was surprised by, I didn't realise that they start intervening so early.

I don't think we'll be setting up a children's account at this point. We're not going to be able to save very much during maternity leave anyway. Plus all of our savings are already in accounts earning 5%.

Best children's accounts earn 4% so there's no benefit from opening one for us at the moment. May be different in a years time.

I'll just up the amount of savings they we have to keep in reserve and have that set aside (metaphorically) for him.

• ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 21st Sep 16, 1:21 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,720 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    I was going to be offered a sweep at 40+3, I wasn't sure whether I was going to have one or not, don't feel you have to have it if you aren't quite ready or sure about intervention that early.

We have said we will just start by putting in £20 a month, not a huge amount but will be a start and we can reassess once I'm back at work.
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 21st Sep 16, 2:20 PM
    • 5,807 Posts
    • 38,746 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    Freddie you don't have to have a sweep or even be induced when they say... If neither of you want to do it, refuse.

• Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 21st Sep 16, 2:28 PM
    • 2,653 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    Beckyy
    I hope the lower platelets don't cause any issues Freddie, not long left to go now!

MW mentioned they do a sweep here at 40 weeks also, although I think I'll decline until at least after my cycle due date of 4 or 5th October unless there's a pressing reason for one. I'd just rather see if nature takes it's course first.

The guide on here for children's savings accounts if quite helpful.: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/child-savings-tax-free

I've only had a quick look so far, but Halifax are offering a 4% account. It's only available in Halifax branches (and not Bank of Scotland), the rate is only for a year so you'd need to re-look at it next year.

Coventry BS are offering 3.25% on a Junior ISA but it can't be managed online so either phone/branch/post.

NS&I is offering 2.5% for 5 years. I can't see interest rates rising anytime soon, likely the opposite so might look into this one more.

The plus side of an account in their name also is that if any relative send a cheque directly made out to baby for Christmas or a birthday it can be paid in to their account. I know a couple of little ones in our family always get a cheque rather than money from a couple of relatives so they know it has to go into their savings account instead of Mum & Dad spending it, and if interest rates drop again having a fix for a short amount of time might be slightly better than the new accounts on offer then. But as Freddie said, there are better adult accounts available which is worth thinking about.
    • justme1985
    • By justme1985 21st Sep 16, 2:44 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    justme1985
    Glad you are home ThinkPink. Hope all is going ok.

Welcome newcook!

Good to hear you have the house back to yourselves Freddie!

I think DH is going to do a loads of DIY this weekend. Less than 8 weeks til the due date
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 21st Sep 16, 7:13 PM
    • 1,373 Posts
    • 1,416 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Oh yes the midwife did explain that it was only the option of having a sweep - otherwise would just be a normal checkup.

Said its at 40+10 I think that they'd refer to hospital to be induced for 40+12. Was the way she described it.

• rubywhatashmoo
    • By rubywhatashmoo 21st Sep 16, 8:58 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    rubywhatashmoo
    Had my 31 week appointment this morning - all seems to be going well so far! BP, dipstick, fetal heartbeat and bump measuring fine which is what I like to hear!

Got referred to physio for pelvic pain - worked out really well as I work at the hospital, phoned the department when I got back from lunch and their weekly pregnancy pelvic group thing was starting 10 minutes later so waddled upstairs to that and got bombarded with loads of information that'll hopefully make my body feel a bit less broken! Got a REALLY sexy section of elastic tubing to wear too to help support bump so that'll be fun trying to get into tomorrow morning

Big props to everybody doing things to their homes at the moment! Our big redecorate is STILL ongoing! The bathroom flooring got put in yesterday though and has made a big difference to making it look like a real room again

Main job for this weekend - get the hospital bag packed! Shouldn't need it for a good few weeks but will be happier once it's ready!!
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 21st Sep 16, 10:01 PM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 6,397 Thanks
    Kynthia
    Freddie I don't don't what the implications of low platelets are and I hope it's nothing serious.

Welcome Newcook it's lovely to see you.

Rubywhatsashmoo I was coincidently at a group physio session for PGP yesterday. I was rather dissapointed as it was info I already knew from having PGP last time and was hoping for a more personalised assessment and treatment, but I guess the NHS can't afford that compared to finding a private physio. However the info would have been very helpful to anyone that hadn't had it before. Have you got a birthing/exercise ball to sit on?

It's strange how few appointments I have due to it being my second baby. I saw the midwife at booking in, then 8 weeks later for the 16 week check, then 2.5 months later at 26 weeks and now I'm waiting again for over 2 months to be seen at 35 weeks. I haven't even talked about the birth yet and I wanted to discuss what a home birth would entail. If this one comes at 38 weeks like her sister that doesn't give much time to organise anything.

Whooping cough jab tomorrow. I might ask if I can get the flu jab too. Plus joining in the the diy theme, we've been decorating the spare bedroom for my daughter so we can move her out of the nursery. That then means we can refresh the nursery for the baby and get all the baby things out of the loft and put them away in the nursery ready. So OH will be stripping wallpaper this weekend.
    • psychopathbabble
    • By psychopathbabble 22nd Sep 16, 7:15 AM
    • 5,807 Posts
    • 38,746 Thanks
    psychopathbabble
    We have had the nursery furniture built for a while now but last weekend I decided I wanted it painted after all.. So that'll be Sunday's job. Trouble is we can't get all the furniture out of the room to clear it, so it's going to be a case of moving it all around as we paint. I also ordered wall stickers but they won't be here for a month, a shame as we wanted it done ready for my baby shower and DH family visiting on Oct 1st.

Only a few more bits for hospital bag needed, and I have 34 week midwife app tomorrow so hopefully we start going through birth plan. It's coming round very fast!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,815Posts Today

8,870Users online

Martin's Twitter