Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 38
    • debbym
    • By debbym 9th Jun 15, 10:10 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    debbym
    Favourite cheap meal in our house is "Love Pasta". (When DD was little she would insist she didn't like anything cooked with tomatoes so OH told her is was "made out of Love")
    50 g pasta per person
    whilst it is cooking brown 2 cloves of garlic in a frying pan and then add a carton of value passatta (costs about the same as a tin of tomatoes but is a lot thicker), allow to boil and reduce down whilst the pasta cooks. If you have it add basil and top with grated cheese.
    Feeds all 5 of us for under 70p.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 16th Sep 17, 8:17 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 6,848 Thanks
    minnie2
    Hey anyone got cheap recipes for gluten free dairy free and nut free? Im anaphylactic and coeliac
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 16th Sep 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,166 Thanks
    ariarnia
    Hey anyone got cheap recipes for gluten free dairy free and nut free? Im anaphylactic and coeliac
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Breakfasts include porridge (depending on sensitivity to oats), popped rice, fruit, omelette/boiled eggs, fry-up (bacon and eggs with beans/mushrooms)

More substantial meals could be:
    Mushroom/ham/other omelettes
    Egg, chips and beans
    Stews, casseroles and soups with a potato base and HM gravy (cornstarch).
    Veg/egg/meat fried rice

Baked potato with:
    Egg/Tuna and Hellmans mayo (lactose free)
    HM chilli
    baked beans
    HM 'Coronation' chicken with mayo not yogurt
    Chicken, celery and apple (Waldorf salad without the walnuts)
    Ratatouille

You could also buy small amounts of vegan dairy substitutes or talk to your doctor about a prescription* for a limited amount of gluten free products (such as vegan 'cheese' or GF pasta) and use these in small amounts for 'mouth feel'

*(assuming you're a medically diagnosed coeliac and can get them on prescription and that you've not already tried them and realised how pants the GF subs actually are )
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 23rd Sep 17, 9:23 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 6,848 Thanks
    minnie2
    Thank you.i didnt think about getting stuff on prescription i thought they had moved away from all that.i do have a prepayment certificate as i am on a tonne of medication so i will ask .i havent really found any substitute i like except a pizza base and thats £3 for 2. I dont really eat bread.i make my own cakes.i dont substitute dairy stuff i am anaphylactic and was diagnosed at 12 weeks old i cant bring myself to try stuff that looks like dairy things i cant have.i know its psychological but my reactions are so bad it makes me panic/cry just watching my husband put dairy free butter on his jacket potato.i am allergic to the whole cow too so no beef in the house i have to use pork or turkey mince which is expensive.i am currently having a lot of boiled potatos and veg as my meals.i will have this for weeks then when i am fed up i move on to the next.i need to try and sort lunches at work out but i dont eat sandwiches or yoghurts.& fruit gives me a bad belly (functional bowel disease & hiatus hernia).theres an overdraft i really need to pay off by November too before they put prices up :-( so any food budget saved is going towards that.my shopping is all over the place at the minute.need to focus.stress
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 24th Sep 17, 2:43 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 3,266 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    How about simple curries? All curries are done to your taste and the hotness will be up to you.

We have it with rice as even tho I am Indian, I cannot for the life of me, make chappatis.

It's just an idea...hth.
    X
    Last edited by ScotinLondon; Yesterday at 3:43 AM.
    GC J17 £119.36/£140; F17 £35.60/£140; M £76.65/£140; A £120.63/£140; M £114.03/£140: J £121.98/£140.00; J:£129.51/£150: A£129.51/£140; S£135.61/140
    • PipneyJane
    • By PipneyJane 25th Sep 17, 1:08 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 3,533 Thanks
    PipneyJane
    Thank you.i didnt think about getting stuff on prescription i thought they had moved away from all that.i do have a prepayment certificate as i am on a tonne of medication so i will ask .i havent really found any substitute i like except a pizza base and thats £3 for 2. I dont really eat bread.i make my own cakes.i dont substitute dairy stuff i am anaphylactic and was diagnosed at 12 weeks old i cant bring myself to try stuff that looks like dairy things i cant have.i know its psychological but my reactions are so bad it makes me panic/cry just watching my husband put dairy free butter on his jacket potato.i am allergic to the whole cow too so no beef in the house i have to use pork or turkey mince which is expensive.i am currently having a lot of boiled potatos and veg as my meals.i will have this for weeks then when i am fed up i move on to the next.i need to try and sort lunches at work out but i dont eat sandwiches or yoghurts.& fruit gives me a bad belly (functional bowel disease & hiatus hernia).theres an overdraft i really need to pay off by November too before they put prices up :-( so any food budget saved is going towards that.my shopping is all over the place at the minute.need to focus.stress
    Originally posted by minnie2
    And breathe...

You are under a lot of stress at the moment and I can appreciate your panic response re dairy substitutes - you have a life threatening allergy. Most of our costs are fixed (housing, transport to work) but you're smart because you've realised one of the few things you can control is you food spending.

I have a couple of recipe ideas for you but, first, do you have a microwave at work? Also, do you have any issues with cornmeal/polenta? What about oats or nuts or lentils?

Do you have access to a real butcher's shop? Pork is one of the cheapest meats out there, so they could mince it for you much more cost effectively than you'd get from the supermarket. Ditto with lamb, if you can eat it. If you develop a relationship with your butcher, you'll find that they will offer to make gluten free sausages and other treats for you at cost effective prices.

The cheapest meals I can think of are porridge for breakfast, humus with veggie dippers for lunch, for dinner dhal and rice or home made chilli or a lentil loaf or a nut roast. Both of the latter involve breadcrumbs so substitute a similar quality of rolled oats.

For the chilli, if you're fed up with serving it on rice, you could make a "spoon bread" corn bread top: in a deep bowl, combine 3/4 cup of cornmeal, 1.5 cups of water, 1 egg, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Grind over some salt and pepper. Slowly pour it over your chill/stew and bake for half an hour or so at 200C.

Here's my Dhal recipe. You can leave out the chilli completely, if you wish.

Ingredients
    300g yellow split peas/Chana dhal. (67.5p)
    1tsp turmeric
    1tblsp garam marsala
    1/2 tsp salt
    Boiling water

The Tarka
    1 tbsp. oil (3p)
    1 onion sliced (12p)
    100-150g mushrooms, sliced (25p)
    1 large clove garlic, crushed (5p)
    1 tsp ground chilli
    2 cups frozen mixed veg (30p)
    1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes (25p)
    Optional: A handful of fresh spinach leaves or leftover rocket from a bag of salad leaves. (25p)
    Optional: a tblsp or so of fresh coriander leaves, chopped

The Rice
    1.5 cups basmati rice (12p)
    3 cups boiling water

Method

1. Pour the dhal into a sieve and rinse well in fresh water. It doesn't need soaking..
    2. Boil the kettle. Meanwhile, measure the dhal in a jug, make a note of the volume measurement and pour into a saucepan. Add twice as much boiling water. (The packet said to use 1 litre of water for 300g of dhal but that took considerable simmering to be absorbed..)
    3. Stir in the turmeric, salt and the garam marsala, bring back to the boil and simmer until the dhal is soft and most of the liquid is absorbed. Stir regularly. The dhal will be cooked after 20-25 minutes but it takes a while until the liquid is almost gone. (Note: when it reaches the point where it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, that’s when it’s ready.)
    4. Meanwhile, make your Tarka:
    a. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until soft.
    b. Add the mushrooms and continue frying until most of the water they make has evaporated. Then stir in the crushed garlic.
    c. Have your frozen mixed veg ready on the side. Sprinkle the chilli over the contents of your frying pan and stir fry until the aroma rises. Stir in the frozen veg and fry until all their water has evaporated.
    d. Add the tomatoes and fry until most of their liquid is gone, stirring occasionally. Stir in the spinach and coriander if using and cook until wilted. Switch off until the dhal is ready.
    5. To make the rice using the absorption method:-
    a. Boil the kettle again.
    b. Measure out your rice and put in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
    c. Cover with twice as much boiling water.
    d. Bring back to the boil and boil for 2 minutes. (Use a timer.)
    e. Switch off the heat. Cover the saucepan with its lid and leave to sit for at least 12 minutes.
    f. It is now ready to serve.
    6. When your dhal is ready, stir in the tarka. Taste and season as necessary. Serve over rice.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. #47 Official Brain Harvesting Body Counter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,676Posts Today

6,647Users online

Martin's Twitter