Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 1st Feb 14, 9:28 AM
    • 1,458Posts
    • 1,509Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    Buying/replacing garage door?
    • 1st Feb 14, 9:28 AM
    Buying/replacing garage door? 1st Feb 14 at 9:28 AM
    Hello,

We're currently buying a property which has an integral garage. Now my querie is hypothetical at the moment as I haven't been able to inspect the garage door properly. However with it being an integral garage I want to ensure that the door is reasonably well insulated.

Current one is a roller door. I've been looking online to suss out rough idea of costs and types. But the websites ive found are all quite awkward to navigate and sorted by brands. Have no idea about garage door brands and which are the best ones to go for at all. Hard to trust the info when it's all coming from a seller/marketing point of view. But in general the info I was reading seemed to suggest that sectional garage doors are better for insulation than roller doors and seem to be cheaper.

Just wondering if anyone has recent experience of sorting something like this out. Garage door seems to be fairly standard small squareish dimensions as far as I can tell.

Any thoughts welcome
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 01-02-2014 at 9:33 AM.
Page 2
    • Axolotl
    • By Axolotl 29th May 14, 4:35 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Axolotl
    Where are the controls fitted?
    Hi, I've been looking for a replacement garage door, and have had a quote over £2k for a single, manual door (!).

I saw the Essati ad and their web site, and to be honest it looks too good to be true.

Thanks for the heads up on the "extras", but the overall price still seems competitive.

My garage is integral to the house, but there is no internal access to the house, so where do they fit the open/close control?

Also, what is the security of the door locking like? I'm thinking I have to be able to open it in a power cut, so if I can, so can somebody else...

Am I wasting my time looking for a powered solution?

Thanks.
  • padi20
    WARNING.......Essati garage doors / P. Kelly
    I would like to warn everyone out there who are thinking about getting a Essati roller garage door. I saw their advert for £699 for a fully fitted basic roller door, I decided to upgrade to include the safety beam, 2 handsets, wall light, internal button for a total price of £984.

Beware for this price they DO NOT include any internal cover box or hood which is an EXTRA £120, which I found out about with an email and phone call. This was NOT pointed out by the surveyor at the time of the site survey, but it is mentioned in the T & Cs in very small print.

The fitters will try and sell you Essati extended 10 year warranty at an extra cost of £90. Please beware that this is NOT an insurance plan, but their own plan. So anyone who is thinking about using this company, just beware regarding all of the extra £s. Apart from that the door works fine.
    • amc1
    • By amc1 10th Sep 14, 8:21 PM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    amc1
    ignoring the fact that they try and sell you all these extras, is it still good quality and best price around ?
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 11th Sep 14, 7:27 AM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    mutley74
    my dad replaced his old up& over garage door to a electric roller shutter type - metal slats not insulated type cost around £500 with 2 remotes and safety switch. Shop around as some with installers with show rooms wanted much more.
    • amc1
    • By amc1 11th Sep 14, 9:24 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    amc1
    where did he get that from, do you know ?
    • mutley74
    • By mutley74 11th Sep 14, 9:53 AM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 1,252 Thanks
    mutley74
    where did he get that from, do you know ?
    Originally posted by amc1
    dont know it was a supplier located in the North East - small company that works from a home based garage/unit
  • acemoneysaver123
    Manufacturers of Garage Doors
    We are looking to replace our garage doors with roller doors and have seen quite a few adverts for Crocodile. Has anybody used them?
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 12th Sep 14, 10:24 PM
    • 6,068 Posts
    • 4,301 Thanks
    vansboy
    Not sure where you are, but if anywhere near Luton, I've had 2 roller doors from
    http://www.gdlgaragedoors.co.uk/garage-doors.html
    At seperate properties, both were fully insulated, double width and £1200 - £1500ish as far as i recall.
    Cant speak highly enough of the firm. They are small family business, been around for years.

VB
    • MrGumby
    • By MrGumby 10th Oct 14, 3:20 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    MrGumby
    You might want to check this review, if considering an Essati door:

http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/business-page/uk/garage-doors-and-garages/seguro-garage-doors/HVVF57CVE/
  • Shirepasty
    Avoid this company at all costs. I have had nothing but trouble with them and they have £2k of my money and left me with a garage door that doesn't work.
    The sales person works hard for commission but measured the door incorrectly, the fitters cancelled twice, then turned up at 1705 and finished work at 2320. The door broke the next day.
    No answer from head office, nor dates to book in for a repair. Had to organise a bankers draft for them to get paid.
    I am left in a hole now with a door that doesn't raise/ close and no idea how to get it resolved!
    • Nate1234
    • By Nate1234 3rd Dec 15, 10:04 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nate1234
    Want to see pictures of the kind of work you'll expect to get ?

Search Google for 'What Not to Accept in a roller garage door'

I cannot post a link due to being a new user (for some silly reason, but guessing bad images/spam).
    • Nate1234
    • By Nate1234 3rd Dec 15, 10:07 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nate1234
    Also, if your read the 'references' on their own site, they are mostly 5 star rated, with the occasional 'true' reference thrown in, notice how everyone seems to know the 2 fitters names and speak as if they know them, except the 'true' references where they do not mention the fitters names.

You can tell by the posting style, that it is the same formula for the 5 star ratings.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 11th Jan 17, 10:31 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 2,690 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Spamalot McSpam welcome to the forum
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 30th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 15,290 Posts
    • 11,101 Thanks
    hollydays
    Bumping old thread to add this warning link about essati and roman garage doors

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5672144

BBC watchdog
    • KayleighOC21
    • By KayleighOC21 11th Jul 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    KayleighOC21
    DIY Roller Garage Doors?
    Hello

Has anyone tried DIY roller garage doors? I am looking into investing in some roller doors to save me some head space, but I don't know how easy they are to install myself. Any advice would be appreciated. I looked at this company easyfitgaragedoor.co.uk- does anyboyd have any experience with them?

Thanks
    Kayleigh
    • jwruk
    • By jwruk 11th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    jwruk
    spammer ^ reported
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,634Posts Today

6,301Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin