Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • xyz123
    • By xyz123 28th Jan 14, 8:25 PM
    • 1,500Posts
    • 368Thanks
    xyz123
    any recommendations for stainless steel pans for induction hob
    • 28th Jan 14, 8:25 PM
    any recommendations for stainless steel pans for induction hob 28th Jan 14 at 8:25 PM
    hi

we r planning to change our hob from ceramic to induction and so looking for new pans. did the magnet test and existing ones dont work.

any recommendations on where to get a set of pans. budget around £75. looked at ikea ones but they have steel handles and steel lid which will get hot and so keen to avoid these, especially ones with steel lid.

ta
Page 2
    • HelenRyan
    • By HelenRyan 15th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HelenRyan
    Re: any recommendations for stainless steel pans for induction hob
    The best stainless steel cookware has aluminum and copper cores sandwiched between the layers of steel on the inside and outside, which is a much better conductor of heat than the stainless steel itself.
    • Clairabella
    • By Clairabella 15th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Clairabella
    The best stainless steel cookware has aluminum and copper cores sandwiched between the layers of steel on the inside and outside, which is a much better conductor of heat than the stainless steel itself.
    Originally posted by HelenRyan
    I have Jamie Oliver professional pans which are like this but I prefer the cheap stainless steel pan set which came free with the hob! They seem to heat up faster and I do like their glass lids so I can see what's happening inside as I'm not finding it as easy to adjust as my old gas hob.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 5,260 Thanks
    societys child
    Originally posted by HelenRyan
    And useless for induction heating!

Induction hobs require magnetic pans. The also require cast base pans* which do not deform when heated.

Aluminium and copper is none magnetic, and useless for use with induction hobs.

* The magnetic pan should sit square and flat on the heating zone**. If it rocks, even ever so slightly, it's no good for use with induction.

** Never rinse a hot induction pan in cool water, it can cause it to warp and reduce it's effectiveness on an induction hob.

Any pan for use on induction hobs should have the word "induction" cast into the base. Even then, some are better than others . . . I know that Lidl, Aldi and Ikea induction pans are good, others are available
    Last edited by societys child; 15-09-2017 at 8:59 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,099Posts Today

8,635Users online

Martin's Twitter