Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,808Posts
    • 37,799Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £16,000
Page 3
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 31st Jan 14, 1:34 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Damn you and your banananas Bob - I only got to eat ONE of the six I brought home the other night!! (I have a cheeky bananana eating fairy in my house, apparently)

Might have a go at the phone/broadband line rental comparison thingume, thanks Although I confess I'm starting to get Quite Bored with the whole thing and may soon be reaching my tolerance threshold for today...
    • boredofbeingathome
    • By boredofbeingathome 31st Jan 14, 1:54 PM
    • 15,386 Posts
    • 37,539 Thanks
    boredofbeingathome
    Damn you and your banananas Bob - I only got to eat ONE of the six I brought home the other night!! (I have a cheeky bananana eating fairy in my house, apparently)

Might have a go at the phone/broadband line rental comparison thingume, thanks Although I confess I'm starting to get Quite Bored with the whole thing and may soon be reaching my tolerance threshold for today...
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    These were ripe ones and only me likes them...but they will eat them in cakes and things..might hide them though

I get bored as well-but when i get on a roll i go with it. The car insurance usually drives me nuts to be honest..but then i think of the cashback That gets me through
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 31st Jan 14, 2:03 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I should confess I only did cashback once, just COULD NOT BE BOTHERED (which is an abomiable confession to make, especially here!! )

Slightly got rid of my guilt now - my sister's PTA has an account set up with The Giving Machine, which is kind of a bit like cashback for charities - so anything I buy online I go through there and it gives them a percentage as a donation. FAR less faffy than actual cashback, no trawling through, no messing about clearing cache etc, just one click and then they get a donation.

(I don't get anything, mind you!!)

Anyway, drawing a line under this for today, been sat on my backside for far too long!

However I have:

* changed to joint account for energy, BT and my mobile
    * switched to new cheaper energy tariff and will change DD amount later (saving us nearly £30 a month )
    * found new phone/broadband tarrifs (potentially saving £30 a month or more) :martin:
    * done online banking and put everything in the right pots

Not a bad start to a rainy Friday!

Must go and do some things like housework and running now...
    • starnac
    • By starnac 31st Jan 14, 4:11 PM
    • 5,173 Posts
    • 24,096 Thanks
    starnac
    Cheery so nice to see you back. YAY! it's like a reunion. woohoo!! Your diaries always make me smile.

*subscribes*

Also BOB can I have the banana loaf recipe please?????
    DEBT FREE!!!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #307
    Save
    Save
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 31st Jan 14, 4:44 PM
    • 28,052 Posts
    • 154,217 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Cheery, you've saved **loads** today! I'm chuffed for you! I do understand getting Quite Bored though (sounds very Pooh Bear ) I think you definitely deserve a run. Not sure about the housework ... and I think Bob may snaffle any more bananas you buy ...
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 1st Feb 14, 1:50 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well I didn't run yesterday (it was too rainy, and I was too idle :rotl: ) but I DID run 8 miles this morning Don't think there'll be much activity for the rest of today mind you

Just popping in to declare yesterday's NSD! These are SO rare for me I feel like it needs some kind of celebration

Maybe I could challenge myself to one a week this month?? Maybe??

Something else I did yesterday and forgot to declare - I've budgeted £200 a month for my travel to work, but because I'm not there this week, and I'm doing a lot of fieldwork travelling (which work pays for) I won't be going to the office as often - so I've transferred the spare £60 to the long term savings account

Need to put in my signature how much I've added to that this year - budgeting for £50 a month but will add all extra bits and bobs too, so £110 total in Januar

Should easily be able to add £1000 over the year...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 1st Feb 14, 5:55 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Couple of things to declare today, mostly treats

£9.70 brunch in cafe (from treats budget )
    £8.20 co-op (milk, 8 yogurts, bananas, pretzels, cheapo soup, quark etc) - from food budget

Also Mr Cheery announced we had £30 leftover from January's food budget so I've plonked that in the long term savings account

Not going anywhere else tonight so that's it!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 1st Feb 14, 8:43 PM
    • 8,205 Posts
    • 42,665 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Great progress there with the savings and changing things over too. I'm like Bob - I do find the searching around quite tedious but the lure of cashback - or simply being able to transfer another small saving to the Mortgage overpayment pot Clearly I'm easily won over!

Are you going to do the NSD Challenge then?!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£632.77 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 1st Feb 14, 9:25 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Er, I don't know I've always been rubbish at it, and don't like being able to just grab something useful while I'm out and about... but that's how you end up spending more than you need! Hmm, will think on
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 1st Feb 14, 9:34 PM
    • 8,205 Posts
    • 42,665 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I was a bit surprised today when I actually started thinking - and I mean REALLY thinking - about what we needed when I was shopping. I've always thought of myself as being pretty good at buying just the things we need when I put my mind to it, but there were several things earlier on that I would happily have bought more of than we needed, or probably than we would use. It's that "grabbing something useful" gene I think, sometimes it's not useful at all, is it!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • lionheartedgirl
    • By lionheartedgirl 2nd Feb 14, 10:30 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 3,222 Thanks
    lionheartedgirl
    welcome back Cheery I shall be having a buttling day today in your honour *buttles off*
    Never sit in the comfy chair - Jake Humphrey
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Feb 14, 11:05 AM
    • 28,052 Posts
    • 154,217 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Cheery, thats great, I love that you transfer to the long term savings straight away, good for you! And 8 miles! <faints> I'm impressed!
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 2nd Feb 14, 3:41 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks all

KC, I have to transfer straight away or it'd just get lost in the general pot! Feels good to have done it though

Inadvertently saved us £1100 today by being too reluctant to travel half way across the peak district on my own with cash in an envelope to buy a car I'd never seen from a man I don't know Can't decide if I was being sensible or pathetic Mr Cheery arranged to see it tomorrow, but we just had a call to say someone else has bought it Fair enough, but if I'd have gone this morning we could have had it by now!

Ah well...

Other than that, been at the community garden (nowt to spend on there!) and in my own garden harvesting rosemary and digging and chopping stuff ready for the tip when we have a new car

Popping out to a meeting tonight so will be making a small donation there, so I don't think I could legitimately count it as a NSD but it's darn close!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 2nd Feb 14, 3:53 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - been back in to energy website and changed to a flexible direct debit of £120 a month

It was £147, but we're £253 in credit and I've just changed plans and fixed the prices, so estimated yearly cost is less.

They were recommending £135, but I've switched it to £120 because I reckon we can use less... (she says, hopefully...).

With it being flexible, if we use more than we've paid for in any one month, they can take a bigger direct debit (but only up to £202). Given that we have a large credit balance, and given that we're coming up to spring (she says, again, hopefully...) we should be alright for a few months

Just thought - given I worked the budget out on the basis of paying £147, I should transfer that extra £27 a month to the long term savings each month, shouldn't I?? That means it's in the current account initially if we use more than we think and they have to take it, but if not, it can go straight over.

Right - off to transfer Feb's £27 Oh I am SO glad I came back here, got myself into a whole new mindset
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 2nd Feb 14, 4:16 PM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Yawn - was about to get all efficient and actually go through cashback site to order new phone/internet package - but Mr Cheery set up my new laptop last week and has installed an ad blocker thing - normally I appreciate that but it won't let me do cashback, and I can't figure out where it is to disable it!

Ah well, maybe later...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Feb 14, 12:08 AM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Just quickly popping in to declare...

Sunday:
    £2 donation at meeting
    £1.35 teabags for meeting (very important )

Today:
    £2.90 grapes and 8 clementines from market
    £15.50 charity shop clothes (denim skirt, orange corderoy skirt, black jumper and red cardi so not a bad haul!
    £9.35 at slimming world (yes, i'm back there again but lost 2lbs tonight and am now only 3.5lbs from target ) anyway, that was a magazine, raffle ticket (i didn't win) and 6 boxes of scrummy cereal bars (favourite ever christmas pudding ones on BOGOF so had to stock up before they run out!!)

suppose i should probably go to sleep...
    • DedicatedDFW
    • By DedicatedDFW 4th Feb 14, 8:10 AM
    • 4,234 Posts
    • 13,906 Thanks
    DedicatedDFW
    Wow Cheery you were up late - hope you're not too tired today

Well done on being so close to weight target

I always think, for me anyway, it is a good exercise writing down spends it makes me more conscious of what i am spending as sometimes things which are cheap / on offer seem a relly good deal and then the next thing is that i have spent £20 without realising it if that makes sense ?

gotta dash - my car repair person is on their way to rescue me

Hope everyone has a good day
    CC1:T £2531 £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: August 2042 May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Feb 14, 10:18 AM
    • 7,808 Posts
    • 37,799 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Absolutely DDFW - and knowing i'm going to come in and write down every little stupid thing i've bought makes me think twice
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Feb 14, 10:21 AM
    • 28,052 Posts
    • 154,217 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Loving the sound of a flexible DD - I've never even heard of that!

And the shopping too - like DDFW, you've got a great haul for your money And how could you possibly resist christmas pudding flavour bars which reminds me, I have an *actual* Christmas pudding, gluten free and very yummy, that fell down the back of a small freestanding cupboard - I need to rescue it strictly thinking of the pudding's welfare, of course
    Retired August 2016
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 4th Feb 14, 11:18 AM
    • 8,205 Posts
    • 42,665 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    You were categorically not being ANY sort of wimp about the car thing. In fact, I think the word you were looking for was "sensible" - or possible "responsible". Personal safety comes first!

Nice work on the energy thing - that's quite a saving over the year. If you're in that level of credit at this time of year then there was definitely something wrong before I think!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,551Users online

Martin's Twitter