Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,969Posts
    • 38,715Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
Page 181
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 38,715 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Indeed Pooky they did say we could keep the bed til the day I'm going to make a bid for keeping the sofa too and there will be a couple of last minute boxes of toiletries, towels, kitchen stuff etc.

Shouldn't take longer than an hour on the morning though, and then it'll probably take them a couple of hours to get the lorry over there (it's less than 30 miles but all teeny little country roads, people will be cursing us ), so should be there by about 11.30, then we just have to wait for money to be sorted and keys released... Hoping that will be not far off lunchtime, then they can get off and we can have a stiff drink
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Wow!

Almost there Cheery!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,252 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Everything crossed here!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£842.87 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 38,715 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Almost there my @rse

Idiot Boy at the bottom of the chain finally paid his deposit last weekend, they waited a couple of days for the bank to do something while we all twiddled our thumbs - then it turned out the deposit was a GIFT, and they didn't have the appropriate ID docs/letter/whatever from the giftee (for money-laundering regs I assume).

Sadly, Granny (or whoever) is now on a cruise til next Thursday.

Our buyers go on holiday on Friday, and the proposed completion date is 2 days after they get back.

So who knows. Theoretically Granny should be able to fax ID docs or whatever, but I can't imagine Idiot Boy's solicitor will be switched on enough to coordinate that, given that they didn't even seem to realise they were needed in the first place.

So we might be able to exchange in the brief 5 minute window next Friday between Granny getting back and our buyers going on holiday Of course, we could theoretically exchange once they'd gone - but personally I'd not want only 2 days to pack up my house and also, if we don't exchange til the Monday, that only gives us 7 days before completion - and since the removals want to collect our worldly possessions on the Saturday, doesn't even give us a weekend

So I think I'm going to have to say exchange before next Friday or we renegotiate the completion date (which we should never have been talking about anyway cos the bottom of the chain still wasn't ready to exchange!)

Can't make it up really can you?

Let's hope Granny makes it back from that cruise in one piece!!

Anyway, YNAB sorted, bank not looking toooo healthy after paying over £100 for a professional membership, and £249 to fix the blithering car Only 6 days to pay day though so no need to dip into savings fund.

On the plus side, if we do shift completion back a week it'll be March, which means an extra month of savings before the mortgage kicks in
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 10th Feb 18, 10:05 AM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 6,763 Thanks
    redofromstart
    oh lord, you couldn't make it up! Every time you post I get my hopes up that you have exchanged. I bet you dread the phone ringing.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 10th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 21,546 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6750.00 Cap 1: £456.79 BC: £8800.00
    AFD 3/14 NSD 3/14 LTW 6/14
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £1194.42/£4000
    Savings for Christmas £60.84/£365
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Feb 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Oh My! - what a saga Cheery my dear - sending positive vibes your way!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Feb 18, 6:56 PM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 38,715 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks folks

Right, a cheery day today But I'm having an incredibly lazy evening - already lost an hour and a half to idly pottering around the forums and want to get *something* productive done at least!

So, a list

]HOUSE - 7-7.30
    * last coat of paint on the wall by the back door
    * put clothes away in bathroom and bedroom

ADMIN - 7.30-8.30
    * fill in witness form for car crash I saw last week
    * quick check of the car insurance comparison site *shudder*
    * see if I can figure out how to claim tax back for professional memberships (got the forms, just need to read the info properly and figure out what I need to do)

OTHER- 8.30- bed
    * finish knitting socks
    * yoga video (if time)
    * return mum's phone call

Car insurance is annoying - really wanted to move before it ran out else we'll likely have to pay admin fees for changing address (I think), and we'll also be adding a second car when we move so there will probably be some other stupid hoops for that too But it's probably best if I just grit my teeth and do it! Or I suppose I could adopt the same policy I did with the house insurance and just ring good old M&S Might see if they're cheaper than the renewal quote first...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 38,715 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Not doing too bad!

HOUSE - 7-7.30
    * last coat of paint on the wall by the back door
    * put clothes away in bathroom and bedroom

ADMIN - 7.30-8.30
    * fill in witness form for car crash I saw last week
    * quick check of the car insurance comparison site *shudder*
    * see if I can figure out how to claim tax back for professional memberships (got the forms, just need to read the info properly and figure out what I need to do)

OTHER- 8.30- bed
    * finish knitting socks
    * yoga video (if time)
    * return mum's phone call

After some pondering and filling in one comparison site, I've decided to let the car insurance autorenew

Shockingly they want £356, when last year we paid £178 Mr Cheery had one small clipping-wing-mirror incident last year which we notified them about because the other party started yelling in the street and said he was going to the police so we went first... but we didn't claim, the other party never came forward so there was no claim from them and the police dismissed the whole thing, and I'm therefore not convinced it warrants nearly £200 policy increase

Also they've cocked up our no claims bonus - the year before we had a policy with them and I have the documents saying we have 9 years NCB. When we renewed, they sent us something asking for proof of our NCB - I told them to refer to our previous policy WITH THEM and asked them to transfer, and they confirmed that they had done so. However, on the renewal notice it's gone down to 4 years, and it's not the incident above, because in the renewal paper it lists that and specifically says it doesn't affect NCB...

So they'll be getting a phone call tomorrow morning.

Anyway - they charge £20 for mid-policy changes (eg changing address) and £20 for cancellation. So I'm going to auto-renew, hopefully move house within 3 weeks, whereupon I will take out a new policy with new address and covering commuting (which this one doesn't, because I currently walk to work) - and will cancel this altogether.

Want to sort out the NCB thing first though.

Will also need to add a second car but since we're unlikely to be buying that til we actually move, I'll just have to sort that out later
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Feb 18, 10:07 PM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 38,715 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - finally sussed professional memberships thing

I honestly didn't realise you could claim tax relief until a few days ago when I spotted something on Twitter. It was a bit of a nuisance working out what I'd paid in which tax year, as obviously membership years don't always coincide with tax years, and while I'm a member of four professional associations now (!) I haven't been a member of all of them for the last few years

Oddly enough, YNAB was utterly brilliant in helping me work out exactly what I'd paid for and when

Anyway, filled in the printable form for one year, saved and went to do the second year, before realising I could do it online So started that. Also realised I could go back to my last job and claim for the one membership I had then

Except I couldn't, because I can't find their tax code ANYWHERE (I know it will be on my P60, but if you think there is any likelihood of unneeded paperwork for over 2 years ago lying around unpacked in this house then you haven't been paying attention )

Decided to give up, and just not claim for those years - however the form is in beta, and there is no 'back' button

Have texted a friend who still works there, and if she can't find it, I'll ring Payroll on Monday, and then continue filling the form in.

If it all works, looks like I'll be due a rebate of just over £200

If anyone else needs it, the form is here

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees

It's for all kinds of things, but I'm just claiming for professional memberships which I pay for myself (but which then get my employer a discount on conference fees - need to have words about that!)

Right, enough financial shennanigans for one night!
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 11th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2,081 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    rtandon27
    oooooo....

Thank- you Cheery!

There are a few items I pay for out of pocket and resent every year - going to dig out receipts and claim back just on principle!!!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 38,715 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Indeed RT - I felt the same!

Sun's shining now but it was snowing earlier - brrrr. Breakfasted in the cafe (at some point we'll rein that back in at some point, likely when we move...) and now at home trying to tick a few things off the list. Packed a box of books but then Mr Cheery went off for a nap so I had to stop banging round upstairs

Wrote a blog post, and now I'm about to watch a documentary and see if I can finish off knitting these blithering socks so we can post them off to our friends in Germany
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 8,479 Posts
    • 45,252 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I also can't believe that the great house-moving saga is STILL trundling along!

Good work on the insurance and tax reclaiming thing though - albeit annoying that the insurance didn't work out to tie in with the move.

Guessing the cafe habit will sort itself out fairly naturally when you move and it's not so easy to just amble out and go to one?
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£842.87 (12/02/18)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Feb 18, 3:15 PM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 38,715 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    That's what I'm hoping also hoping new house will feel sufficiently like we're on holiday for a while although we are rather partial to cafes on holiday

But to be honest, we very rarely eat out in the evening, maybe spend £20 on takeaways a month, never drink in a pub, rarely go to the cinema etc so spending £15-20 a weekend between us in cafes doesn't really feel that extravagent
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Feb 18, 7:15 AM
    • 7,969 Posts
    • 38,715 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I FINALLY have some proper news - we have exchanged!!

Just as I was starting to hope they wouldn't get round to it yesterday and we could renegotiate to early March and save another £1000 before starting the mortgage

But no, our savings will have to stay as they are, for we are moving on 26th - a week on Monday

House insurance is set up, removals are booked, I'll be ringing the LPG people as soon as they open at 8.30

So hard to juggle everything yesterday as I was teaching most of the day and had to keep ringing people as I changed classes at the top of the hour solicitor told me we'd exchanged at 3, so my last too classes I was rather giddy, and I confess had to set then going with a task while I sneaked onto the computer to confirm insurance and removals (they're adults and were quite amused and excited for me )

Busy a lot of today too but the only thing I HAVE to do is sort the LPG, everything else can wait for the weekend.

Removals firm reckon they can't move all our stuff in one day or at least they probabpy could but it might do them in trying I actually respect them for trying to keep their staff relatively healthy! So they're coming next Saturday which only gives us this one weekend - and on Sunday we're meant to do some building work for Mr Cheery's dad... we considered cancelling, but if we don't do it this weekend it won't be done for weeks as we'll be too busy fixing things in the new house

Anyway, the deal was always that I was in charge of paperwork and bureaucracy in this process, and Mr Cheery was in charge of decorating and packing. I did my share of decorating in the end (although he did the vast majority) but he's going to be pretty much on his own with he packing this week...

We've decided to have tomorrow as our 'last normal day in the new house', then Sunday with his family - then I'll be working my @rse off at work to get all my preparation for this week AND next week done so I can take 3 days off next week, and Mr Cheery will be packing like a demon

Gosh it's taken a long time. House went on market early July, sold within a week and we offered on the new one on 9th August. But given that we first went to see the mortgage adviser and had the house valued in January 2015, and started the process of packing and decorating soon after, it feels like it's taken bloody forever!
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 16th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 30,255 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Doing one of my occasional de-lurks to offer congratulations, best wishes for the move and life in your new home, it will be a big adventure.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 4,094 Posts
    • 45,537 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    YAY!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 16th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 42,590 Thanks
    Pooky
    So so so so so excited for you! Hope it all goes as smoothly as it can from now on and looking forward to tales from the new house!
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 16th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 8,822 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Also delurking to say I'm so happy and excited for you

I've been following along and don't know how you've kept so positive about it all so many changes

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • WeeMidgie
    • By WeeMidgie 16th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 4,428 Thanks
    WeeMidgie
    Also depending to say hurray! So pleased for you, it's definitely been a marathon, but you're into the final sprint now. Happy landings!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

9,267Users online

Martin's Twitter