Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,908Posts
    • 38,456Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £16,000
Page 179
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 15th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 858 Posts
    • 4,920 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I tried those a few years ago and had the same problem. I now cheat and use the food processor to make a standard shortcrust mix and use egg instead of water as it is easier to roll out.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Dec 17, 10:57 AM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    That recipe had no water in - literally just butter, sugar and flour (at least I didn't put any water in it... )

I tell you what though, they were flippin delicious And once they cooled they had a surprising amount of structural integrity

Brought some frozen pasta type stuff out of the freezer for lunch today. Not even sure what it is
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Dec 17, 8:17 AM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning MSE chums

Well, the bulk of the Christmas presents are bought Not wrapped I'll save that for a Christmas film when I've finished work

Just done YNAB - I've been trying to make a conscious effort to enter things as I spend them and it's made SUCH a difference to how easy it was to sort this morning. Although I did confuse myself somewhere because I had to alter the budget fiddling account by £16 - had more left than it said I should have done

So, three days left at work and also because there is SUCH a lot to do - the whole place shuts over Christmas and I really don't want to go back before the 4th, but there's a deadline on the 8th so the more I can get done before then the better... And I'd like Friday off. Gosh - isn't it annoying when your desire for an easy life runs up against having to go to work??

Still, I am forever grateful that (a) I get to choose (on this occasion at least) when and where I do the work and (b) that I get a fortnight off over Christmas, and can choose which days I want off Blessings indeed

Apparently our new house is being professionally cleaned today For the last time, as it'll never get that on my watch Still, I am grateful because I could have knitted with some of the cobwebs decorating the walls and while I threw out the dead mouse myself last time I was there, evidence of it was scattered all over the bedrooms...

Apparently the new person at the bottom of the chain is having their survey done this week too, so things are progressing on that front too I don't envy them having to wait til after Christmas for their mortgage offer (but who knows, they may get it on the 22nd??) Estate agents are hoping for a January completion, but I think they're optimistic as I don't know whether the searches have been started yet... Also I confess at this stage we'd be happier with early Feb, as it would mean the first mortgage payment wouldn't be til March...

Right, best get a shift on - that work isn't going to do itself, and Greying has just reminded me that I need to toast some bread for lunch

Ooh, Mr Cheery picked up a kind of stained glass holly wreath in a charity shop yesterday - it looked pretty last night but looks glorious this morning with the morning sun shining through it Might just be my current favourite decoration

Have a good one folks
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, and I've just had a house insurance renewal for £163 - apparently I paid £156 last year so not too bad. Not sure what to do - it's due on 12th January, and we're likely to be moving house not long after that... Might see what their penalties are (although I suppose if we moved and took them with us, they shouldn't really be charging a penalty!)

Suspect the new house is going to be rather more costly to insure...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Dec 17, 3:25 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Afternoon MSE chums

Well, I have finally finished my Christmas shopping Mr Cheery is completely on top of the food (which isn't too far from our normal food but there are a few chestnuts thrown in an a quorn roast ) and we are all set. Just need to clean the house now - as my mum always said 'clean sheets for Santa!'

Got a friend coming in a bit, popping out to a neighbour's house for a couple of hours later, and then I'll sit in front of a Christmas film and wrap Mr Cheery's presents Tomorrow I *might* go to the parkrun, meeting a friend for lunch, then I might sit and wrap everyone else's presents Christmas eve we're off to see Mr Cheery's family for the evening so need everything wrapped and sorted before then

Need to do YNAB again - only did it the other day, but done a bit of purchasing since then Need to also have a proper think about Uber Frugal January!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Dec 17, 3:32 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh, and I've just had an email from our seller's estate agent and our solicitor saying the insurance at the house is up for renewal, and because it's empty, they've got to drain the heating system. Understandable of course, we don't want a burst pipe after all but it does mean the whole place is going to be rather cold and damp by the time we get there...

Their solicitors are also asking for an estimated completion date - er, I'm not bloody telepathic!! How's about 'as soon as the person at the bottom of the chain is ready' - same as it has been for the last few weeks... Our solicitor forwarded the email he'd received from their solicitor, and it sounded SO shirty and cross - honestly, I don't know how they deal with reading emails like that from each other all day every day. Is there any need to sound so rude?!

The seller's estate agent, as much as she has annoyed me in the past, told me pretty much the same thing in normal, polite language.

Grr. I'd forgotten over the last few weeks what it was like dealing with all this nonsense
    • starnac
    • By starnac 22nd Dec 17, 4:08 PM
    • 5,237 Posts
    • 24,571 Thanks
    starnac
    I've been watching Suits on N3tflix. I don't know if you've seen it but basically about laywers and last night one of them was giving advice to a new guy and told him that "law is all about power" and basically the way to win a case is to get the power from the other party. Maybe that's why the solicitors are being shirty with the other solicitors? A case of "we've done our bit and are only being held up by YOU" maybe??

Hope it's not long for you now
    Savings £0
    Shopping £24.82/£200
    Overpayments made £0
    Make £2018 in 2018 #70 £5/£2018
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 24th Dec 17, 10:42 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I think that's probably it Starnac! I shall be most glad to have both solicitors and estate agents (and mortgage brokers) out of our life for a good long time!

Had a lovely day today with four generations of Mr Cheery's family (because of the age difference it seems I'm officially part of the second from top generation same in my own family I suppose but there's only one layer after me there, not two!! ) anyway, a jolly and festive time was had by all and everyone was very well behaved

I am tired and off to bed now, leaving Mr Cheery to wrap my presents Merry Christmas all!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 31st Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Afternoon all

I wrote a big waffly post while we were travelling yesterday then lost reception and it vanished! Hey ho. I'll let you imagine it was witty and insightful, not the usual load of gibberish

So, today I have done my final YNABbing of the year, and now have enough data to compare 2017 spending with 2016

Spent a good few minutes being shocked at how we had managed to spend £5500 more this year until I realised that included paying off the student loan in one go (that was just over £4000) - the actual difference between this year and last year is £1150.78, which isn't tooooooo bad.

My wages have actually just about gone up enough to cover this, but some of it is us increasing discretionary spends, not just increases in bills etc. Plenty we can do to cut down if necessary. And I have actually nearly halved my personal fun spending this year!

Can't do toooo much planning for next year just yet as obviously we'll be moving near the beginning. I do know it's going to be rather more expensive in our new house, although some things won't be.

MORE EXPENSIVE THINGS IN NEW HOUSE
    * mortgage - currently £0, will be £900
    * house insurance? House is rural, trees nearby, not sure how much that will increase things yet
    * car/travel - we will have a second car, and will be commuting, so we'll have double the car costs and extra insurance etc as well as more diesel (although this may even itself out as we'll only come to the city 3 days a week, and we spend a lot of time going OUT of the city now anyway!)
    * gas? - we will have an LPG tank, not mains gas. However, the boiler is far more efficient so may offset this!

THINGS THAT MAY NOT BE MORE EXPENSIVE
    * utilities - gas is LPG but electricity should be roughly similar
    * water bill will reduce as we have a septic tank - but there will be costs associated with that...
    * food? We have plenty of space to grow everything we need (although this will obviously take time and effort!)
    * takeaways - there's nowhere to get one from

We'll see...
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 2nd Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 12,870 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Happy New Year Cheery!

Wishing you Health, Well-being & Happiness for 2018
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 2nd Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 28,353 Posts
    • 157,852 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Happy New Year Cheery!

Wishing you Health, Well-being & Happiness for 2018
    Originally posted by rtandon27
    From me too! Living Long And Prospering, and all that
    Retired August 2016
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 2nd Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 14,932 Posts
    • 98,413 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    What they all said my lovely! x

And well done on that budget.

I wish everything in your garden to grow abundantly and chickens to roam freely.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/1725.27
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40 Total 22/12 4025.27 PAID OFF £1730.13 1/3/18 Total £37025.27 £2030.13 paid off
    :
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 3rd Jan 18, 11:51 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thank you lovely people

Uber frugal month has started, er, not too frugally had to replace several toiletries (shampoo, deodorant, face moisturiser, nothing extravagent and they all came from budget shops). Met a friend at a nature reserve and it was SO wet and vile we spent most of the time in the cafe (but lunch, tea and cake cost £8 so not tooo bad).

Me and Mr Cheery took the treats budget to the cafe for my last morning off work so that was another £8. I finally found a five year diary which I've been looking for everywhere for months so snapped that up too. And I paid upfront for an activity while takes place throughout the year - it'll save me a bit but didn't feel particularly frugal! Oh, and I had to compost a bag of stewing veg I bought reduced to 10p on boxing day as they'd gone all slimey.

Oh dear!

Still, there have been a few food related bargains, including 8 yogurts reduced to 20p I also bought a swimming costume in a charity shop for £1 - my current one is rather see through and I don't want to shell oht good dosh until I've shrunk a bit

Hey ho. Breakfast lunch and snacks are all prepared for tomorrow and I shouldn't need to shell out anything at all, hooray!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning MSE chums

Trying to get into the habit of posting more regularly since it's uber frugal January!

Just sorted YNAB and bank All looking ok, nothing much to report. Got a couple of professional memberships up for renewal soon - need to work out what to renew and what to leave... I've got two at the minute

(1) I would drop, but I got a small pot of funding from them last year that I haven't spent yet and you have to be a member to use it, so I'll have to keep that for this year.
    (2) I would keep, but they didn't give me a space to speak at their conference so if I need to drop one, it'll be this
    (3) I'm not a member right now, but want to do some work for them so I think I'll swap it for (2).

Also need to think about house insurance - renewal due 12th at £163 (it was £156 last year) - I'm not sure it's worth switching as we'll be moving not long after so I'll just end up having to ring and change everything anyway. Might just let it renew for this year, not sure I'm going to save much on that amount anyway. Just need to check whether they charge a fee for changing address etc.

Right, breakfast and lunch all packed for work and I'm planning to go to the gym before I start so best get a move on!
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Jan 18, 8:30 AM
    • 2,055 Posts
    • 12,870 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Morning Cheery - Happy UFM! - Well done on packing food for your first day back - Have done the same using up yellow stickered posh xmas grub from MrW - will try to do a pack up every work day this month - let's see how realistic that is with three working lunches already in the calendar!

Your house insurance sounds very reasonable - we pay nearly that for contents only! If I remember correctly last year you looked round but couldn't find better? or was that car insurance? I'd tend to agree that with the changes you'll be making it may not be with the effort to shop around now!
    ONE YEAR DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Jan 18, 7:23 AM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I'm sure I already posted in here but it's vanished!

Yes RT, your memory is indeed excellent And no, I shan't be bothering this year - with any luck we'll be gone in a month anyway - but I MUST check their policy about what they charge if you cha ge addresses etc (and what they'll charge if I have to cancel if they turn out hugely expensive at the new place!)

Not much money saving to report. Uber frugal month is carrying on, perhaps not quite as uber frugal as I'd like... we are making use of the treats budget and did go out for a cuppa yesterday, although just spent £4 between us and had breakfast before we went. Still not great I know

I also bought a new running top in a charity shop for £4 I stupidly packed all my long sleeved ones months ago as I hadn't run for ages anyway and I figured we'd be moving soon... Now I've entered a race at the start of Feb and can't run outside as I only had short sleeves anyway £4 has seen me temporarily kitted out with some 80s throwback running top so all good Just about to test it out

Lunch all packed - an excellent soup made by Mr Cheery yesterday also have reduced yogurts from last week (4 for 10p) and some fruit, which wasn"t reduced, but at least I'm not paying 60p per banana from the canteen

Have a good one MSE pals, remind m to take the Christmas tree down later
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening

Well I went for a run (free exercise), had porridge for breakfast and soup for lunch

Did buy some milk for the tea kitty at work (but when I got to work someone else had done the same - d'oh!). Also bought some satsumas to see me through the next couple of days at work. Poor old Mr Cheery is ill so didn't get chance to do the food shopping - I picked up a pizza and some supplies on the way home. Not good - I could have just made pasta or something inventive (although we have literally NO veg but I'm sure I could have managed...) Naughty cheery.

Hey ho. Tomorrow is another day. Lunch is in the freezer so I must take it out. Meeting a friend I've not seen for a couple of years for a cuppa tomorrow after work so that'll be a couple of quid of spends (quite acceptable I think). Shouldn't be anything else though
    • starnac
    • By starnac 9th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 5,237 Posts
    • 24,571 Thanks
    starnac
    Hope Mr Cheery is feeling better soon. I hope it's not this flu that's going around.
    Savings £0
    Shopping £24.82/£200
    Overpayments made £0
    Make £2018 in 2018 #70 £5/£2018
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks starnac I've been more ill than him - he just felt queasy for a day, whereas I've been snuffling and sneezing for a week now!

Not doing hugely well with Uber Frugal Jan here My heart's just not in it this year I've not spent a fortune, and we did avert a takeaway this evening but we also went out for breakfast Only spent £7 between us, but that could have been put towards something else...

Still, I did take frozen soup for lunch, and we made our tea at home so not all bad

Hey ho. I'm just ordering a present for a friend and remembered I had a few points in the secret survey site, so I've cashed them out into an online voucher and that'll pay for a third of it

What else? I've let the house insurance renew so that's one less thing to think about for now

Bloody hoover won't pick a single thing up I've cleaned all the filters several times, bashed the tube to get any dislodged stuff out, and generally kicked it about in a temper, and it still won't work. We only bought it about 6 months ago when the previous one conked out the day before the house went on the market

I wouldn't mind but I don't even hoover that often!!

Can't even remember where I got it from, possibly panic bought in T3sco. I suppose I could see if they'll refund?

Also need to see about taking my winter boots back to M&S. Bought them in September, and in December the sole started coming away from the top. Of course I didn't do anything about it then and now it's been four months - but I'd still expect M&S winter boots to last the winter. Although I have used them more than the hoover!

Urgh, I hate doing stuff like that.

Minor house news this week - prodded estate agent for an update, and they said our buyers' solicitor has responded to enquiries from their buyers so it looks like their searches might be back Estate agent said 'it might not be long now!' but we all know how that ended last time so I'm not holding my breath...

However, it has prompted me to think about some of the little things that still need doing - sorting removals, sneakily painting over some paint that's flaked off since the viewings (gosh, we SO need to move house before we have to decorate this one all over again!!) etc.

Tired and a bit grumpy tonight. After all my recent waffling about how well I sleep, I woke up at 5.30 and didn't go back to sleep. Decamped to spare room thinking I'd put the meditation app on which always helps, but instead I started messing about on the internet and before I knew it, it was 8.30 and I'd wasted a good couple of hours!

Right, off to see if there's another minor task I can tick off my list And failing that, I might just have a nice cup of tea
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 7,908 Posts
    • 38,456 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    M&S didn't quibble one bit - just scanned the receipt and said 'because theyre faulty, ir's giving you a cash refund, is that ok?' Yep, thanks very much!

Found a replacement pair in another shop, £65 reduced from £95 hopefully they'll last a year or two at least, although I do tend to rather a log way in my shoes...

Renewed my discount card through work yesterday don't use it for much, but it gets me almost half price on the bus which I'm always very grateful for!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,268Posts Today

8,386Users online

Martin's Twitter