Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,713Posts
    • 37,495Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £16,000
Page 174
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 29th Sep 17, 12:15 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Quick Prolific survey this morning for 50p, although bizarrely it's now showing 70p pending, so when that's cleared I'm up to £19.11. Annoyingly there was one for £2.50 yesterday but I was at work and you had to speak out loud so I couldn't do it Hey ho, getting there.

Nothing to report today. Brought lunch and my stewed apple Trying (and failing) to avoid the MacMillan cake sale table
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 30th Sep 17, 9:56 AM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning all

Bit of a gloomy day yesterday. Got a call to say my nan had died just after I posted that last post She was ready to go and it was the right time but still sad.

And I didn't avoid the cake sale Although I didn't go overboard as everything was shop bought and ok, but not great. Later on I did go to a different building and they had a much better one, although I did end up with a cake with SPROUTS in Sadly it did smell like it had sprouts in Had to give it to someone else to finish off...

Mr Cheery and I got tired and hungry and had a bit old squabble in the evening all fine now but we had a nice relaxing evening planned and didn't get one. Hey ho.

Also feels like it's been raining forever, and our leaky roof which we thought was FINALLY fixed, has started leaking again. Aarrgggghhh!

Still, some good things did happen yesterday. Had a trip to a new 'international foods' supermarket and got some excellent bargains - halloumi for £1.27, some of those spring roll sheets that i think Pippi was talking about - made experimental spring rolls yesterday and they were great About 80p for 50 I think - already eaten 10 of them

Also got some deep fried tofu that seems to be exactly what we get from the takeaway, and have acquired some black bean sauce, so we might try making takeaway-at-home tonight

Not much planned for today - feeling in need of an adventure but it's raining again and my poor brain is rather too frazzled to think of something that will entertain us both, and Mr Cheery came to bed much later than me so he's still asleep. Pottering I suppose. Not sure I can get too excited about that today!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 30th Sep 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 42,387 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Sorry to hear about your nan, Cheery.

I know what you mean about needing an adventure to look forward to. We had one planned for this weekend too - and the weather has put paid to it Can't justify the fuel expenditure to just drive somewhere else and sit in the car and listen to the rain fall

I hope that whatever you do, you find cheerfulness in it - Mr Cheery too

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 2nd Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,459 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Aww sorry about your Nan Cheery - no matter how much you know it's the right time etc it's still hard on those left behind.

Did you try takeaway-at-home? Our curry the other week was a great success and even more so that there was enough that I was able to freeze lots so we'll have curry night again this week!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • Februarycat
    • By Februarycat 2nd Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    Februarycat
    Sorry to hear about your Nan
    OnePoll = £40.00 11/3/16
    Pureprofile = £15.20
    PanelOpinion = £2.95
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 2nd Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thank you lovely folks

We did indeed have the takeaway-at-home EH and it was ace! Very straightforward, and while not EXACTLY the same as a takeaway, it was certainly a passable rendition We'd have to make sure we had all the ingredients in though as trotting across town to get them would take far longer than getting a takeaway obviously...

Nothing to report - no house news yet Waiting for sellers to agree to the land split - their solicitor said on Friday that she would ask them - mine would have given me a quick phone call but I suspect theirs is using a carrier pigeon...

Not spent much today, just £1 on the bus, and I got a free lunch
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 3rd Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening MSE chums

Not much to report. Spent a few quid on cakes and treats today but I did inadvertently get 2 for 1 in the vending machine

And after a dry spell on Prolific I bagged an £8 one today! Good grief it was long and tedious and I definitely wish I hadn't bothered as I had much better things to do still, it's finally knocked me over the £20 payout threshold so I can claim £26 tomorrow

Mr Cheery's got back into making tea the last couple of nights and it's been great - SO tasty and plenty of leftovers for work too

No house news... waiting for sellers to reply... wonder if they realise they're delaying our mortgage?!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 4th Oct 17, 11:12 AM
    • 8,013 Posts
    • 41,459 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I'm pretty strict with myself on Prolific about what is a good use of my time - if the hourly rate isn't good enough on the longer ones then it's a no-go for me! I'll be claiming £10 from mine tomorrow mind as I'm finally past that level - it's definitely still slow, though.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    My mistake was starting an hour long survey while I was at work... if I'd been sat at home with a cuppa it would have been fine

Not much to report. Cashed out £27.27 on prolific yesterday so that'll go straight to house fund when it arrives Up to 1075 points on YouGov so only another 576 years to payout

Still no house news - solicitor asked seller's solicitor about splitting land last Wednesday, she replied Friday - but still waiting for actual sellers to respond... Do they want to sell the house or not?! Will prod their estate agent on Monday if still haven't heard - surely there's no decision to make - we can't buy the damn thing if they say no!

Hey ho. Trying to stay calm (and mostly failing ) had a good day at work though, and I've got a cheery friend coming round for tea shortly (and Mr Cheery has MADE us some tea ) All good

Need to do YNAB soon though, perhaps tomorrow...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening

Finally got round to doing YNAB Nothing much to report, fortunately £27.27 from Prolific arrived and has been dispatched to house fund - signature updated

STILL waiting to hear from sellers Chased their estate agent, who was horrified we were still waiting, and has now found them, and reckons their solicitor has now written to ours (although he hasn't received it yet). Yawn indeed. I'll be retiring in this house at this rate

Glumness and stress eating continues here Had a headache for about two days (finally disappeared this evening thank goodness). Mr Cheery is being brilliant - came home from work tonight and found kitchen spotless, washing hung up, food made and lunch all packed for tomorrow He can stay

Nothing else financial to report I don't think!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening MSE chums

Got an evening to myself tonight and was planning all manner of tidying and a nice bath but my pesky sister rang and I spent over an hour talking to her

Hey ho. Might set the timer and do 15 mins of tidying In fact, let's have a cheerful list

* find friend's address so I can post parcel in the morning
    * send mum a message about funeral flowers
    * washing up (there's only a couple of mugs)
    * sweep kitchen floor
    * put clothes away in bathroom and bedroom
    * have a nice bath

That's not much but *feels* like a lot - might start the bath running and I reckon I'll have done it all by the time it's ready

Solicitor rang this afternoon - sellers have agreed to our proposal Their solicitor has asked ours to draft the necessary paperwork, he reckons it's straightforward and will take him an hour over the weekend, so we should get it sent to the building society early next week

He's also now got fittings and contents form and property info form so we should get those this week too, exciting!

Had my 'wellness' check at work yesterday A right mix as expected - good lung function, 'acceptable' bloody pressure, 'undesirable' cholesterol, and I'm overweight with an 'over fat' level of body fat

Got £45 discount for the gym though, making a year's peak time membership £135 Joined yesterday, and went to a 'legs, bums and tums' class tonight and could barely walk home afterwards I'm SO unfit right now!

No plans for the weekend Quite pleased and looking forward to just pottering around and reading and knitting Off to another city for work on Monday, and driving over to the funeral on Wednesday so there will be plenty of travelling about in the week.

Right - that bath isn't going to run itself!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 27,857 Posts
    • 152,711 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh Cheery, I'm so sorry to hear about your nan ... I just hadn't logged it. As you say, even though its time, its still sad

Glad you had a nice long chat with your sister last night! A nice bath is good at any time, but I *really* don't want to think of you sweeping the kitchen floor after 10 on a Saturday night - hope you had a good sleep, anyway.
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks KC. Funeral is this week, not looking forward to it really but then I'm sure nobody does!

Bit of a weird all over the place weekend here, with me and Mr Cheery taking it in turns to be cheery/grumpy and never quite managing to be cheerful at the same time Still, I've had a nice morning sitting in the park reading, and then sitting outside a little cafe reading, and walking through the woods

Home now, and I think I'm going to sit out in the garden since it's such a nice day Might do a bit of tidying while I'm out there, and then maybe a little bit of tidying/hoovering when I come back inside.

Will sort out YNAB today too
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 42,387 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Bit of a weird all over the place weekend here, with me and Mr Cheery taking it in turns to be cheery/grumpy and never quite managing to be cheerful at the same time
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Tell me about it - insert week in our case I hope the funeral goes well - as much as these events can. I know there is a reason for them, but i don't enjoy attending funerals at all. My failing, I'm quite sure.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw Greying, sorry to hear that ((((((()))))))) We're dreadful at it actually Or perhaps we're very good - when one of us is really low the other one always rallies round and stays positive and competent, then perhaps just gets tired and lets go a bit as the first one rallies round. Wish we could be cheerful at the same time more often though!

I'm not sure there's a single person who 'enjoys' attending funerals. I think they're always emotional, and in my family at least (and plenty of others, I'm sure) there's always an element of slightly dysfunctional relationships, always somebody not sure they should be there, or feeling like they're saying the wrong thing, and it's never nice to see people crying, especially when they're the 'grown ups' in the family Hey ho.

My main worry at the minute is making it through the rush hour traffic in time!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Oct 17, 7:48 AM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Morning MSE chums

Gosh it was a blustery one last night! hope you're all safe and well and not blown away.

Some minor spends yesterday as I went to my old job for a meeting and didn't take lunch - naughty... also bought them a packet of biscuits. Roughly £5 all in.

Had to buy train tickets and found more in my purse from the last couple of times I've been - must do an expenses claim today as together they'll add up to about £90 I try to adjust the budget as I go along so hopefully I'll be able to bung that straight in the house fund when it arrives (also must add that up again - surely I've got enough in there now?!)

Got the whole day in the office today, and leftovers for lunch (although I confess tea last night was actually a bit of an odd combination and I'm not really looking forward to eating it again ) still, waste not, want not also got snacks and fruit etc so shouldn't need to buy anything today

Booked onto a yoga class at lunchtime with new gym membership Hoping it'll be less painful than the 'legs, bums and tums' class I went on last week - still hurts now when I try to lift anything or turn over in bed

Nowt else to report. Funeral tomorrow so I need to decide on clothes tonight as we'll have to leave about 7am and I certainly don't want to be scrabbling round for clothes then.

Also payday tomorrow but excitement about money shuffling will have to wait til Thursday...

Hope you all have a jolly day
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening folks

Well, that yoga class was frightening Don't know whether it was because the instructor was rather fiendish or whether I'm just really unfit and unbendy added to which an echoey room, a strong accent and her not doing the moves herself because of an injury made things rather confusing. I did feel better afterwards though, just didn't particularly enjoy the 'during'

Excitement (kind of) this evening - payslips have been released before tomorrow's payday, and my student loan has actually been removed! I was convinced they wouldn't do it properly and I'd have to go through some ludicrous reclaiming process but apparently not! VERY excited at the thought that some piece of financial bureaucracy has actually been done properly (ish - remember I shouldn't really have had to pay it off in the first place...)

Still, that was quite a hefty chunk going out of my wages each month, so between that and last month's pay rise I'm now getting approximately £250 more than in August

Of course, that's going to have to straight into building back up the emergency fund that I used to pay off the student loan in the first place...

ISA dosh is due to hit the account on 21st, which now I think of it, is a Saturday, so maybe it won't arrive til Monday. That was a 33 day access account, and that cash will replenish the easy access 'house fund' savings, which are only 'virtually' sitting at my signature amount at the minute...

Off to do YNAB to tidy things up before payday
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Oct 17, 9:07 PM
    • 7,713 Posts
    • 37,495 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right, YNAB sorted Nothing glaring going on there. Deleted a couple of transactions from early September that were clearly just me entering them as bank transactions when they were really cash... Gym membership will have to come out of tomorrow's wages, but will be almost covered by expenses anyway once I get them back (didn't get round to claiming today so will definitely do it on Thursday).

Just added up moving expenses again - should need £15,565 to cover everything that's left so not far off There may be a slight bit of extra fees to cover the latest legal jiggery pokery to satisfy lender requirements, but that may be offset a bit by the reduction in stamp duty. Will top it up to £16,000 tomorrow and then start building the emergency fund back up.

Trying desperately not to see it as actual MONEY as I fear I may be far too distressed when it all disappears from the bank account in one go But mustn't forget that we will (hopefully! ) be living in an extremely exciting and cheerful house when (if) we come out of the other side so it'll be worth it We will be fortunate indeed (fingers crossed, of course...)
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 18th Oct 17, 6:13 AM
    • 1,974 Posts
    • 12,134 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Thinking of you today Cheery xoxox
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 18th Oct 17, 6:19 AM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 42,387 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    As rtandon, thoughts are with you & yours.

XX
    'Ich habe genug'

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,665Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin