Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,651Posts
    • 37,165Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £13,806.35
Page 172
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Sep 17, 11:47 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hoorah indeed
    Had a lovely evenibg chatting to sister on phone, used up leftover takeaway in a kind of tea concoction thing, then did a bot of urban hiking in the dark with Mr Cheery in search of the perfect drink - didn't fond it but we did have a good tour of the local off licences and it was a lovely evening out there

I ended up with some kind of elderflower cider, and him with some kind of local beer, and with my 10% co op discount it came to £3.60 for both

Some impressively ludicrous "Co op style reductions" in the Co-op tonight. Cauliflowers reduced from £1.09 to 98p. Really?? And salads £1.70 to £1.50. Is it worth wasting a sticker?!

They did have some decent bread reductions tonight, but since I onoy have one shelf of freezer at the minute, and as friend left a giant loaf of Belgian rye bread, we left the bargains for someone else...

Must sort out YNAB tomorrow. Pippi reminded me MOT is due soon. And I just thought of something else financial but it's gone - drat!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Sep 17, 11:47 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh, figure out of I can change travel money in local post office!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Sep 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 12,296 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Oh, figure out of I can change travel money in local post office!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    If you have your debit card with you they put it straight back in your account too
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Sep 17, 7:16 AM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh really? How exciting! will do that on the way to work and it can go straight in the house fund

Need to decide what to do about my ISA from a few years ago. I was planning on leaving it alone, and will have saved all moving expenses in a separate account, but now we are (a) buying a more expensive house and (b) needing to use part of it to pay off the bloody student loan, we'll need to use some of it and the rest will be our onoy remaining emergency fund - which means I dont want it tied up in a 33 day notice account.

Suspect I'll just remove all of it now so it's ready, or switch it to an instand access online thing at least. Currently gets 0.9% interest - best my own bank can manage without a fix is 0.37% Will investigate further this week...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right, just caught up with YNAB after holidays - kept track separately while I was away as we'd done holiday money as cash, but had bits and pieces from a day or two before, and the last couple of days.

All fine - and I had a few transactions from July that I'd clearly missed or entered incorrectly somewhere so I've now cancelled those (if someone claims them after 2 months then fine, but it's more likely I've just accidentally entered them twice ). They were already accounted for in the budget, so deleting them gave me an extra £40 to add to the house fund

Just noticed I'm now less than £2 off going into the next £100 However, I am just about to do as Purple Fairy suggested and get my £10 Euros paid straight into the bank card so that will be transferred to the house fund too, and will take me over the next threshold

Got lunch to take to work again so shouldn't really need to spend anything

Fingers crossed we hear something actually POSITIVE and DECISIVE about the mortgage today
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Sep 17, 9:22 AM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,378 Thanks
    Karmacat
    It's all really adding up, fantastic!

I also hadn't realised (see just how ignorant I am) that in many places the wall wasn't just a *wall* but two walls with a large area of other barriers, dog runs etc in between. Became much much harder to escape as the years passed. There are certain places where you can see the routes of escape tunnels laid in metal into the pavements etc too. The open air free museum was really moving.
    That space was a real killing ground, I believe The TV pictures of when the wall came down were amazing, I cried my eyes out

I ended up with some kind of elderflower cider, and him with some kind of local beer, and with my 10% co op discount it came to £3.60 for both
    Ooh! Elderflower cider

Some impressively ludicrous "Co op style reductions" in the Co-op tonight. Cauliflowers reduced from £1.09 to 98p. Really?? And salads £1.70 to £1.50. Is it worth wasting a sticker?!
    I've been seeing that recently - mad, isn't it.
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Sep 17, 10:19 AM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Tis indeed mad, our local Co-op is notorious for it, worse than I've ever seen elsewhere. Their bread reductions yesterday were pretty good mind you.

I don't remember the wall coming down - I was only 9 and not really that interested in world affairs Planning a trip to the library this week to read up a bit more.

Went to the post office, got £8 back for my 10 euros (and just realised this keyboard doesn't have a euros symbol!) Off to transfer and update signature now
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 7,733 Posts
    • 40,093 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ahh I DO remember the wall coming down - friends of mine had been across to Poland by coach just a few weeks previously so I was kind of tuned in to all that was going on over there at that stage, I think. Incredibly emotional seeing the reactions of people on the screen - i remember that too. If you ever get to Paris there's some wonderful stuff relating to WW2 and the holocaust over there too - well worth a visit.

I love the fact that they've made sure that the line of the wall remains in some form or another so that it - and the effect it had - can't be forgotten too.

Fingers firmly remaining crossed for good mortgage related news today.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£504.92 (29/08/17)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Sep 17, 5:12 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    No news is good news and all that...

Not heard a peep, so I'm hoping if they did actually want a different type of proof they would have got back to me - although in reality it probably just means they haven't looked at it yet. Been in meetings all afternoon but if I haven't heard by lunchtime tomorrow I might give them a wee impatient ring...

£1 Prolific survey today

cancelled out by spending 90p at the vending machine and £1.30 on some milk for the tea kitty.

Off home now I think...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Sep 17, 9:36 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well, I couldn't help ringing them this afternoon

Turns out the proof was fine and they're happy to approve.... £9k less than on Tuesday Good grief. So far in the last couple of weeks we have dropped £3k, then £20k, then gone back up to the original amount, and now dropped another £9k

And what's actually changed in that time?? I've got an INCREASE in my impending PAY RISE and have offered to PAY OFF my darn student loan.

Honestly, I will be completely grey by the end of all this

Broker has tried to haggle up to what they offered last Tuesday - I've argued that they've had evidence of my pay rise increase since then which will MORE than cover the £13 a month difference in repayments between that and the original amount we applied for

To be honest though if they go back up to the amount last Tuesday and put it in !!!!in writing I will bite their hand off before they change their mind again

Don't trust either building society or broker as far as I can throw them, and I *may* have sent a sternly worded email expressing my disappointment and doing some basic maths for them to remind them of their own rules

Sick of the whole thing!

Anyway, in other news... £3 secret survey and £1.30 on prolific so nearly up to £10 on there now (only just cashed out secret site though so back up to £4, usually leave that a bit longer to build up for vouchers for presents, but at the minute everything is going in house fund).

90p at vending machine (desperate times... )

Nowt else to report. Hope you're all good
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Sep 17, 9:43 AM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,378 Thanks
    Karmacat
    To be honest though if they go back up to the amount last Tuesday and put it in !!!!in writing I will bite their hand off before they change their mind again
    Absolutely, even though they're being complete numpties, you can't let that affect your decision - erm, as I was writing that, I thought, as long as they don't change it **again**

Don't trust either building society or broker as far as I can throw them, and I *may* have sent a sternly worded email expressing my disappointment and doing some basic maths for them to remind them of their own rules
    I bet it was good

I've done that with a couple of purchases - actually, with the Halifax both times.

Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    It was indeed good Not sure how far it got me but it did clarify that this new amount is based on my CURRENT salary, which I'm relieved about because it means it *should* go up when I get my payrise, which is next Monday.

Of course I'm also NOT pleased because right at the start broker said building society had agreed to base it on salary increase, and did both the decision in principle and full application on that basis - but either he was lying or building society has backed down and he has no negotiating skills

Hey ho. They have supposedly agreed to instruct the valuation in the meantime and I will send proof of payrise next Monday. Sadly I suspect I am being fobbed off and nothing will actually happen til next Monday anyway, but unfortunately there's very little I can do about that

More deep breaths required I suspect.

Anyway, had an email today with a bonus from a survey from Prolific - takig total to about £13 now I think although a couple of quid is waiting for approval. Think I'll wait til £20 and cash out for free.

Unusually had TWO secret surveys in one day the other day so once they've both been approved I can cash £10 out of there too

Not much spending to report. Bought an M&S skirt for £1.50 amd a shirt for £3.99 from the charity shop yesterday. Contemplated a pair of boots but came home without them, but think I'm going to get them tomorrow as current pair are really scruffy and I'll wear them every day for work. Will see.

Dug foldy bike out to trek to old job tomorrow, but have NO idea where waterproof jacket amd trousers are and it's currently belting down out there

Family visits today, most cheery Tired now though...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums

£10 cashed out from secret survey site - should be with us in a few days

Been shopping Bought the boots I saw yesterday and a new bra Feel very spendy

But had a nice tea of lentil and veg pie that I made the other day

Nothing else to report I don't think...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Sep 17, 12:41 AM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    So, let's talk about that 'nice lentil and veg pie that I kade the other day' - and which sat out on the side for several days (not
    one) before being eaten by me, and several hours later, the dregs being made into soup by Mr Cheery.

Let's talk about how a couple of hours after that, I started to feel distinctly queasy, and commenced, er, losing the entire contents of my stomach on the hour, every hour, for the next few hours until there was nothing left.

And let's talk about how Mr Cheery's stomach rebelled against said pie in a similar fashion - exactly the same number of hours after eating as mine did...

Don't ever believe (as I so often do) that being vegetarian means you can't give yourself food poisoning!

Still, it's been a frugal few days spent Tuesday unable to move from the sofa. Wednesday I went back to work (delicately) and today I've felt pretty normal (although still quite feeble and still not really hungry). What a palaver!

On the plus side it's given me a nice rest from fretting about the house, which goes from farce to farce - the valuation has now been done and come back at £0 Solicitor assures me this is straightforward (ish) to deal with, broker hasn't even bothered to get in touch (today i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and thinking maybe he's working behind the scenes to sort it out although in reality I suspect he's just hiding and hoping I'll go away and get a new broker...)

Leaving that all til Monday now and focusing on feeling like a human again

£10 received from secret survey site and I'm up to £14 odd on prolific now - will cash out at £20.

Nowt else to report. Should probably go to sleep!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 27,704 Posts
    • 151,378 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh good grief! Cheery! Thats a hard way to learn the lesson, poor thing! Hope you're feeling better still today.
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I am indeed thank you (although I'm still not hungry - certainly not for my own cooking! ) Will try something other than cereal and toast tomorrow and hopefully build back to normal over the weekend.

Good day at work today, got lots of things ticked off Nicely satisfying

Just did YNAB (as purse was so full of receipts that I could barely close it ) Didn't actually have to put anything in the budget fiddling category for once! Except one thing temporarily that had gone through paypal, but on investigation I found out what it was and it had its own category anyway

Slight overspend when I bought new boots and bras the other day but that's been absorbed by moving things around from other monthly spending categories so as long as I take it easy for the next couple of weeks.

Payslip has arrived, clearly demonstrating new payrise Has been duly dispatched to mortgage broker and hopefully at least *that* palaver can be put behind us... Plenty more left to deal with though! I'm not thinking 'We're moving house' any more, rather 'we're playing this elaborate game of Bureaucratic Nonsense - let's see if we can win!'

Hey ho, nothing will happen over the weekend anyway so I can concentrate on tidying up a bit - housework has been sorely neglected while we've both been feeling a bit off colour...
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 16th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 14,820 Posts
    • 97,139 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Hey there huge hugs for the not feeling so great and eating stuff which I have to admit I would probably eat. Although I must confess ot having donated half a pot of rice to the birds that I tucked into the fridge last Tuesday night and found this Tuesday - yes it looked OK and it had been in fridge but having had rice food poisoning once before I donated - hoping birds do not suffer like we do. I do hope you're feeling better - its so easily done.

Re the mortgage and the valuation and everything my heart goes out to you - its so annoying. You will I'm sure overcome!!

Charity shop spends are to be had when you find them, we all know to our costs that they disappear quickly. And, as to reductions - some good ones last night in our coop - but some belters was 2.99 now 2.57 - hardly worth the bother.

Hope you have a brighter weekend and not too choresy.

XOXOXO
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£520, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/£2400
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: 30/8 £4820 PAID off £735.40
    :
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 16th Sep 17, 8:45 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 41,523 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    And, as to reductions - some good ones last night in our coop - but some belters was 2.99 now 2.57 - hardly worth the bother.
    Originally posted by Pippilongstocking
    It can't be worth the cost of the employee time and the price of the sticker, can it?

Hope you're getting better all the time Cheery (and MrC), and have a great weekend planned - featuring nice things in addition to 'necessary' things.

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Sep 17, 9:15 AM
    • 7,651 Posts
    • 37,165 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thank you ladies

I've done rice poisoning too Pippi - NOT pleasant although in my case from reheating too many times... you've reminded me we have ancient takeaway rice in the fridge too - can't see properly in there since moving everything round to sell and there's a giant cupboard in the way now that Mr Cheery got out of a skip last week - must see if we can get that upstairs today as it's doing my head in where it is now!

Do you know what's exciting? I have NOTHING that I *need* to do this weekend Yed, I plan to tidy up a bit and move that cupboard, but there is nothing that can't wait and no actual plans, nowhere I need to be. How unusual!

Might take a wander into town this morning - I want my hair cutting as Ive been doing it myself since before last Christmas and it just needs a bit of a reshape - there's a walk in place in town does it for £7

Also want a new diary - bought one in June but I"m just NOT getting on with it at all, they days are vertically in strips and I thought I'd like it cos I could see exactly when I had gaps, but there's no room for notes or anything, and every few weeks there's gaps for a monthly planner and 4 notes pages which is great - but it's hard to flick through and count how many weeks are left for things.

Got some John Lewis vouchers still left from when I left my old job (nearly 2 years ago now - eek!) So will have a see what they've got.

And I do NOT need anything else, so NO OTHER SPENDS!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 17th Sep 17, 9:41 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 12,296 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Thank you ladies

I've done rice poisoning too Pippi - NOT pleasant although in my case from reheating too many times... you've reminded me we have ancient takeaway rice in the fridge too - can't see properly in there since moving everything round to sell and there's a giant cupboard in the way now that Mr Cheery got out of a skip last week - must see if we can get that upstairs today as it's doing my head in where it is now!

Do you know what's exciting? I have NOTHING that I *need* to do this weekend Yed, I plan to tidy up a bit and move that cupboard, but there is nothing that can't wait and no actual plans, nowhere I need to be. How unusual!

Might take a wander into town this morning - I want my hair cutting as Ive been doing it myself since before last Christmas and it just needs a bit of a reshape - there's a walk in place in town does it for £7

Also want a new diary - bought one in June but I"m just NOT getting on with it at all, they days are vertically in strips and I thought I'd like it cos I could see exactly when I had gaps, but there's no room for notes or anything, and every few weeks there's gaps for a monthly planner and 4 notes pages which is great - but it's hard to flick through and count how many weeks are left for things.

Got some John Lewis vouchers still left from when I left my old job (nearly 2 years ago now - eek!) So will have a see what they've got.

And I do NOT need anything else, so NO OTHER SPENDS!
    I think the vouchers expire after 2 years so best to check so they don't go to waste. Enjoy the relax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,367Posts Today

8,098Users online

Martin's Twitter