Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,804Posts
    • 37,776Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £16,000
Page 165
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Jul 17, 11:43 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Indeed. It is a bit daft that we're all running round like headless chickens when our vendors are away and haven't found anywhere else yet, and nobody else has offered on theirs...

But as yet nobody else has offered on ours either, despite everyonr being very excitable at viewings! Hey ho. Patience I suppose. At the minute I'm tempted to take it off and wait for the woman who needs to sell hers, but that may mean losing our new one... decisions decisions!

In other news - my bloody filling has fallen out AGAIN!! that's about five times now, two different dentists and several different types of material. It's the back half of back tooth so nowt to hold it in, and I fear we may now have to go down the crown route, having tried everything else... most vexing!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 42,557 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    You don't need to take it off the market - her asking you to do that isn't reasonable as she's not got an offer on hers yet. As you say - patience! See how the other viewings that are scheduled in go and if nothing from those ask the agents to give it a bit of a push to get some more if she's still not ready to commit. Remember you're paying them - make them work for those hefty fees they charge! The woman who offered well over - if she's keen then she's get cracking with getting hers and and then you can agree about taking off the market etc!

Deep breaths love - you'll get there !
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    She's said she'd only sell for our house, so won't put hers on unless we take ours off... it's like some elaborate (expensive and tedious) poker game!

Deep breaths definitely needed!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 42,557 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    You are finding them aren't you! Bottom line is she either wants to move, or she doesn't want to move - but throwing her weight around and making unreasonable demands is not a great way of proceeding either way! I would say I'm glad all the unreasonable house buyers are in your neck of the woods but sadly I know all too well that we have our fair share down here as well! I can't imagien that the agents won't already have told her that she's being unrealistic mind you.

Fingers crossed you get a lovely, obliging, happy to offer over the asking price, ready to proceed non-messer viewing later!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 12th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Yep, fingers crossed! She knew her offer was completely ludicrous I think and they said they wanted to move school catchments...

Suspect folks behave like this everywhere actually...
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 42,557 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Oh trust me, they do!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Jul 17, 11:45 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Urgh, well a few days and several ridiculous house shenannigans later, here we are...

Had a wibble about the house we're planning to buy - or rather not the *house* but the location. Spent quite a lot of time over near there this week, still wibbling.

There are still no other offers on the house we're planning to buy, so decided to accept offer from the woman who needs to sell hers - will buy us some time and give us several grand extra.

Except it won't - because they've now decided they can 'only afford' rather less than their original offer (I suspect this is 'punishment' for us not accepting it at first!) They're now offering such a small amount over the first time buyers that it's not worth it. We put in a counter bid - and then the estate agent closed for the weekend..

Spent lots of time over near new house - reassured by some things, horrified by others So still no decision on that front.

Investigating the possibility of renting for a bit to get a feel of a couple of places - expensive experiment (we'd probably do a week or so in a holiday cottage in a couple of places while still living here and commuting to work ) but less expensive than moving somewhere we can't bear to live!

Anyway, everything difficult and everyone (including me) being irrational

Been ignoring YNAB and ignoring cooking and basically just spending on anything that would either help the house sell (smelly things, new bathmat etc) or food.

YNAB and banks a complete mess Just spent two hours sorting through receipts and the 'budget fiddling' category is looking VERY unhealthy

Even had to transfer money back out of the blithering savings account to make sure the new tv was covered Yes, uber frugal bloody July and we just bought a new !!!!in tv!

So everything has gone all wrong and we are all over the blithering place Not helped by dashing from the far North East to Kent and everywhere in between for work in the last couple of weeks, including several overnight trips Giant expenses claim coming which I hope will make the bank account look somewhat healthier!

But - some successes

I have picked a load of gooseberries and actually managed to get them in the freezer A jam-making mission tomorrow!

I have packed lunch for work, and have enough bread/cheese and malt loaf etc for picnic for the next couple of days. After Thursday my tearing up and down the country for work ends (thank goodness!) so hopefully we can get back to some kind of routine, especially now viewings have ended (fingers crossed) and we can do things like cook and wash again

Right - I can't promise that I will make rational decisions, or not ever buy lunch in a cafe, but for the rest of the month I hereby promise that I will faithfully enter EVERY SINGLE TRANSACTION into YNAB within 2 minutes of it happening

Payday this week thank goodness - can o some shuffling and get my act together!

As ever, grateful that all this messing and uncertainty and nonsense is not getting us into debt. Having to transfer dosh back out of savings did NOT feel good and I won't be doing it again!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    First transaction entered - £1 on the bus could have saved that if Id goty act together to get out of the house sooner!

Just totted up train tickets in my purse - that's about £500 worth of expenses quite an unusual month but its certainly made a difference to the bank balance!! will get on the case with claiming those as soon as I'm back in the office on Wednesday - probably take me all day looking at the sheer number of tickets, and they're not all to be claimed from the same place...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well, more idiotic behaviour from me - got confused in invitig friends round for tea and ended up getting a taxi home from the station last night - £7.40 stupid really as it probably only saved me 20 mins and Mr Cheery was in anyway to let them in. NOT appropriate behaviour, especially for uber frogal month

Ended up faffing and late this morning too got a taxi to the station (work will pay for this one but I was looking forward to a walk in the sunshine). Then ticket machine wouldn't sell me the advertised off peak ticket so I had to buy an anytime return for an extra £43 fortunately work is paying again, but it still rankles.

Normally Id do avance tickets to save work money, but this particular bit of work requires flexibility and potential last minute changes so I budgeted for walk on flexible tickets. Good job really!! Although so far I haven"t actually had to make any last minute changes as it turns out...

So. Back on track with uber frugality. Last night we had friends round for tea for first time in months, and Mr Cheery cooked for the first time since his operation 5 weeks ago we actually sat round a table and ate a meal like civilised people! can't even remember the last time we did that but it was nice might do it again

So I've got leftovers for lunch and a bottle of squash, and I made a smoothie of the last of the frozen mango, tinned peaches, almond milk and peanut butter so that should do me for an afternoon snack. Also have a couple of slices of malt loaf and a couple of satsumas.

Planning on not spending anything that I can't claim back from work today! unless the person I'm visiting doesnt provide tea of course - not sure I can go a full 12 hours without a cuppa...

Very much looking forward to being in the office tomorrow sounds odd, but I've not actually had a day in the office since 21st June and I'm feeling rather discombobulated been tearing up and down country for various reasons since then, plus a week off for house selling.

First job will be to sort out expenses claim, which after today is going to be close to £700

*deep breaths*

This is how I ended up in debt you know - bloody expenses claims that I couldn't afford to fork out for, so had to get a credit card, then ended up usig it for other things and not paying it off straight away... Very grateful that doesn't need to happen now but it's sill alarming seeing that much dosh leave the account

Be nice when it all comes back in though :rotfl:
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 42,557 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Not surprised you're looking forward to getting that claim in and sorted Cheery - but take it as a measure of how far you've come that you *are* able to absorb it short term!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Indeed

And I confess I forgot about my pledge not to spend anything and just forked out £1.99 for an ice cream but it's absolutely roasting and I've been sat outside all day and just walked through a load of fields to get the bus, but even so...
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 42,557 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Jul 17, 9:01 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - THIRD attempt at posting and if this goes wrong I give up!

Short version - just shelled out £249 for a train ticket pretty sure I've been to far north of Scotland for less next time I'll book in advance and risk having to cancel
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Jul 17, 9:11 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Brought lunch on the train but not had a cuppa yet and not sure I'll last til I make my destination at 1pm. Ferl like for £249 I should be getting a free cup of tea!

So, house things are ongoing - we acquired our SOLD sign yesterday and our buyer's house is now on the market (yes, I did have a nosy, it looks very nice and is in a cheery place so will hopefully go quickly, maybe even this weekend )

Which brings into sharp focus the fact that we have not yet settled on a place to move to... I'm kind of ashamed to say we have offered on two houses - one has accepted (but only in principle as they're still on the market until we're proceedable), and the other are still deciding (they're also not convinced about us because not proceedable - we'll hopefully be ready in a few days so if they can hold off making a decision for that long...)

Mixed feelings about both houses - one is lovely, doesnt need work, pretty place but quite touristy and inclined to be a little rowdy on occasion with potential for traffic problems at certain times of year (ie april til about October )

The other is in a tiny quiet hamlet, very beautiful but been empty for over a year, and lived in by same person for nearly 100 yesrs before that so needs a LOT doing, including the roof and potentially some structural stuff...

In reality we wouldn't end up with such a beautiful house in such a setting without it being such a wreck... but it's a lot to think about.

Theres a local B&B so I'm going to check Mr Cheery is free then see about booking us in for a night to check the place out a bit more.
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 21st Jul 17, 9:57 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Right - booked into B&B for Sunday night Most jolly

Just caught up with YNAB. Good grief, it does NOT pay to let your gaze slip for a second Goodness knows what I've done, but I've ended up with a budget fiddling line in the bank account! Only £30, but I have no idea where it's gone

Drawn a line and portioned things out for August.

Expenses claim will go straight into house savings as soon as it arrives Should be nigh on £1000
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 22nd Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • 14,844 Posts
    • 97,509 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Cheery I just want to sit you down and make you the biggest pot of tea give you a lovely magazine and help you make the jam.

Sounds like you've a tremendous amount going on - and if I'm right they say moving house and all the crazyness that goes with it makes life uber bonkers. I'm glad you bought an icecream.

However the price of rail tickets are crazy crazy crazy.

Fingers crossed the b&b jolliness helps you to imagine living there.

When DH bought this house is stalked it almost daily. As, would I but I was ooop north its exciting and I'm sure you'll feel utterly excited and exhausted until you've settled into your lovely shiney (chicken filled?) new life.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£100, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/2160
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40
    :
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Jul 17, 10:49 AM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Aw, I would LOVE to sit and have a cup of tea with you in real life Pippi would love that right now

Currently sat in cafe near old new house (are you keeping up?). Spent night in hotel near here - too far to be uninformative, and uneventful other than Mr Cheery having to sleep in the bathroom because someone in the next room was snoring, and then someone fainted at breakfast and when the manager came the eoman on the floor started yelling at her (about how they'd ordered something in advance but it hadn't arrived until today when they were leaving - it sounded like she was saying "granola" but surely that can't have been it! )

Can't do anything about house stuff til Monday now, by which time I'm hoping our buyer will have sold her house and at least we'll know where we are. Tis indeed nervewracking should have bloody accepted a first time buyer like everyone told us to

Hey ho, it's done now. Just have to wait - and make some jame, and do a bit of willow-lopping so new people aren't moving into a jungle
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 25th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 7,804 Posts
    • 37,776 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Nope, no news or movement yet Although our buyer did pop round on Saturday lunchtime She was a bit giddy, having just done a load of viewings and got an offer which she's not accepted yet Said it should all be wrapped up by this coming Saturday so I imagine she's doing what we did and giving it at least a week on the market to see what happens.

No word from house we actually want to buy, who I suspect are holding out for a better offer But it seems they may be being hopeful - at over 200 years old, lived in by the same person for nearly 100 years and empty for over a year, it needs rather a lot of work...

Currently reading up on the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings, and most amused to see that our current house qualifies us for membership anyway,, being nearly 130 years old

In other news (well, more musings than news) I am planning to give Flylady another whirl This is the first time in two years I've had floors that it's actually possible to clean properly Quite nice just being able to hoover like a normal person
    • starnac
    • By starnac 26th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 5,173 Posts
    • 24,095 Thanks
    starnac
    You've done so much work to your house, I hope you can enjoy it for a while before you move onto pastures new (not too long though obviously!)
    DEBT FREE!!!!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #307
    Save
    Save
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 26th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 42,557 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Fingers remaining crossed for a conclusion to all this nice and soon now. at 130 years old being considered ancient in building terms though!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,487Posts Today

7,103Users online

Martin's Twitter