Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,487Posts
    • 36,050Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £13,152.95
Page 164
    • Tescodealqueen
    • By Tescodealqueen 3rd Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    Tescodealqueen
    Had to pop in to say that's brilliant news xx
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 3rd Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks TDQ we are most excited

Many questions though. Do we varnish the living room floor? Weve got a new front door but the fitter isn't coming til after the pictures - our house is a corner though so will it matter if we just have a picture of the other side while we've still got the crappy door?? Is it done to bribe the neighbours to NOT have a band rehearsal while we're doing viewings??

So. Much. Tidying. So much DIY not done Personally I'm relieved were nearly at the end of the DIY even if its not *finished* but now there's a whole new set of things to worry about - not least will someone jump in and steal our house before we sell

Trying to just deal with this one day at a time....
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 3rd Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 1,725 Posts
    • 11,638 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    That's great news cheery hope you manage to sell yours. I wouldn't worry too much on the diy, you'd be surprised what people do and don't notice when they come round. I'd say if it's clean, the loo seat is down and there is a nice aroma (cheap bunch of flowers or a diffuser) goes a long way. Assuming no mass heavy metal show next door of course

Keep us posted. Purps.
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 4th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 39,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Whoop to the new house news Cheery

I'm getting more and more tempted towards the UFJ idea albeit I'd be a late starter and I'm a bit concerned about this not being a great time of year to do it for me - but then again maybe I could do it for household type things and not personal? That might work? Might just make me focus a bit more again...
    Originally posted by EssexHebridean
    EH - I'm taking it that I'm only, in fact challenging 'myself' (albeit with an exchange of ideas with 17,000 other folk........ ), therefore what my challenge 'looks like', 'includes' or 'achieves' is actually down to me. No 2 challengers are going to have the same financial situations, goals or life circumstances, at the time of the challenge, or anytime thereafter. If it helps sharpen focus in even one small area, then I say go for it. If it won't add anything to your already Jedi-like financial acumen, then it's not worth diverting brain cells too. I'm valuing being made to think about things - and have come up with some 'left-field' stuff as a result, so it's working like that for me. HTH

Soz for the thread take-over Cheery

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Jul 17, 10:04 AM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Not remotely a takeover Greying and it's lovely to see you here and I quite agree with you!

So. Ive sorted us a solicitor (recommended by a friend) and have let the seller's estate agent know - she seemed quite surprised as they don't normally need that til were actually ready apparently but I figured it wouldn't hurt to remind them that we are still here and very keen and please-don't-sell-to-someone-else-before-we-sell-ours

So. 24 hours to photos. Right now I have NO idea how well get there but they're coming anyway so we'd best just get on
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 5th Jul 17, 12:24 PM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Good grief. I don't actually know how we managed that but we did. Just about anyway - noticed the bath was full of paint when first guy was here But photographer is here now so it's too late to do anything else

Shoved SO much stuff in cupboards though and still quite a lot of messing before people actually come to view so it's not over yet

But this still feels like a triumph just getting this far!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    We have had our photos and chosen the ones we want, made small changes to the brochure, and are going live 'early afternoon' today *drums fingers impatiently*

House looks like a show home in the pictures sadly I've already ruined the bedroom in a bid to stop any prospective buyers from being drowned in an avalanche of clothes if they dare to peep inside the built in wardrobes

*goes back to waiting impatiently for phone call*
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Well done! Making the house look nice in the photos is a big deal - my last house was bought from me as a doer-upper, but they still wanted it liveable, and the photos demonstrate that and you've done such a lot of work on the house itself, anyway.

Now you have to go back to decluttering if the clothes are falling out of the cupboards, sorry! Best of luck
    Save
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks It's not going too badly - trying to pack away some bulky winter stuff while I'm at it (right now it"s boiling hot and I can't imagine wearing a jumper ever again but I suppose I should face the fact that things may drag on and we may still be here in the winter ) Going to try not to think about that

Still not on the market - aarrgghh! Going to pop in with the spare key in a bit and see if there's anything else I can do to speed up, not sure what the delay is!

I know a couple of hours doesn't really make a difference but I want to be able to ring our seller's estate agent today and tell her we're on the market
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Jul 17, 6:47 AM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well. We are now on the market and have SEVEN viewings booked for today, another THREE later this week, and at least 6 more people the agents were trying to arrange times with

I've ended up doing today's viewings myself which is not ideal but there we are. Am quietly terrified

Mr Cheery stayed up proper late although he must have gone to bed st some point as all was quiet when i woke at 4.30 (in the spare room - we decided I needed a decent kip although i confess i still do NOT feel on top wide awake form!)

Hey ho. Best rouse myself. No idea what he did or didn't get finished last night but I'm going to need to dust and hoover throughout if nothing else!
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 8th Jul 17, 7:33 AM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 39,101 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Well. We are now on the market and have SEVEN viewings booked for today, another THREE later this week, and at least 6 more people the agents were trying to arrange times with
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    WHOOP! That is sooooo much interest, so quickly - Bravo!

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Omigod! That's fantastic! Hope the viewings go really, really well.
    Retired August 2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Jul 17, 11:13 AM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks both Third set of people have just left - sadly our garden wouldn't suit their dog so they pretty much said no... other two were positive though and there are still four more this morning so we'll see. Got a spare 15 mins now, going to have a Tunnock's teacake
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff

7 viewings today - last one left 12.50. Emailed estate agent, and then realised he'd sent one at the same time saying we'd got one second viewing booked - and an offer 8.5% over the asking price

They're in the same position we were when we saw our dream house last weekend - house ready to sell but not in the market yet... they've booked a valuation with our agents for monday.

I've rung to check our vendors will take theirs off the market if we accept this, and if they will, we might well do. Eek! Our buyer will need to sell (but she's local to us and may actually do itcas quickly as we have), but our vendor also needs to find somewhere to buy... means a bit of a longer chain...

Or we could say no, and wait for another offer... fortunately our agents are now shut til monday so we have some time to consider!

What to do, what to do??
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 9th Jul 17, 10:39 AM
    • 27,467 Posts
    • 149,125 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Wow! It's a hot market up there! Great news
    Retired August 2016
    • Chocforever
    • By Chocforever 9th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 770 Posts
    • 1,669 Thanks
    Chocforever
    I'm delighted to read that you have so much interest in your house and that the move will be a reality shortly.

I would wait until mid-week before making any decisions. See what feedback you get from other viewers. Sometimes the people that seem very keen at the beginning can change their mind once they have chance to reconsider so I would see if there are any other serious offers put forward and what their situation is. If your vendor finds somewhere to go quickly, you may be under pressure to secure a purchaser who is ready to move.

Good luck with it all. Exciting times.
    Mortgage, draw down Sept 2014: £222,000

Now: £174,342
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks folks

Yep, I think we're going to wait and see. Going to pop in and have a chat with the estate agent tomorrow. Got two viewings booked in for Wednesday afternoon so might at least wait til after them.

Uber Frugal July is going, well, rubbishly Been out for lunch AND a cuppa two days in a row, and this evening I've had to throw away an entire courgette which had gone completely soft in the fridge

Oh dear. Mind on other things, clearly Also internet is playing up so we've been tethering the laptops to my phone internet so that might come back to bite us at some point :blink: Mr Cheery is on the case fixing it as we speak

In good news, Mr Cheery was concerned about potential commuting costs from new house, so today we filled the car right up, drove over there (and had lunch, and got in touch with the estate agent, and generally practiced living there for a couple of hours ) Filled up again when we got back

Grand total? £3.01
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 11th Jul 17, 9:56 PM
    • 14,673 Posts
    • 95,965 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    Thanks folks

Yep, I think we're going to wait and see. Going to pop in and have a chat with the estate agent tomorrow. Got two viewings booked in for Wednesday afternoon so might at least wait til after them.

Uber Frugal July is going, well, rubbishly Been out for lunch AND a cuppa two days in a row, and this evening I've had to throw away an entire courgette which had gone completely soft in the fridge

Oh dear. Mind on other things, clearly Also internet is playing up so we've been tethering the laptops to my phone internet so that might come back to bite us at some point :blink: Mr Cheery is on the case fixing it as we speak

In good news, Mr Cheery was concerned about potential commuting costs from new house, so today we filled the car right up, drove over there (and had lunch, and got in touch with the estate agent, and generally practiced living there for a couple of hours ) Filled up again when we got back

Grand total? £3.01
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Sounds ace and productive and hopeful and amazing on here!!!! awesome stuff me dear.

Pippi's Debt Free Diary
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Jul 17, 10:30 PM
    • 7,487 Posts
    • 36,050 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well, we had another offer from a first time buyer, who dramatically icreased when he found out about the first one However he then brought his partner round to view, and they reduced back to their original offer... not impressed at such shennanigans before offer has even been accepted - doesm't exactly bode well for being straightforward to deal with later!

So we're hanging fire for a couple of days, as planned. Few more viewings tomorrow so fingers crossed...

Tis quite stressful this business and we've packed loads of our stuff so feels like we're rattling round in an empty holiday cottage - which is not remotely relaxing despite what you might think!!

Ho hum. Somethig will sort. Their offer is still over the asking price so we'll see!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 39,050 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    As your vendors haven't yet found anywhere themselves you are under NO pressure to make any decisions yet anyway - don't lose sight of that will you! Take your time, take time to consider everything, and be very wary of someone who has started messing you about before an offer has even been accepted - in my experience those are the transactions where the shenanigans of that type usually continue throughout and cause issues.

Fabulous that you had no much interest so fast too!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£412.21
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,176Posts Today

8,286Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin