Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,400Posts
    • 35,576Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: 11,884.95
Page 159
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Mar 17, 3:04 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 11,397 Thanks
    rtandon27
    A lovely little list!

Must say the snooze with warmth part appealed to me the most!

Good to 'hear' all is well with you!

The free food sounds amazing! What a score!

What a faff with the insurance & quite amusing how it worked out in the end!

Off to do a little budget tweaking myself!

(must be an exclamation mark kinda day - lol)
    Last edited by rtandon27; 04-03-2017 at 3:09 PM.
    Mine/Hers: May 201110835.33May 20164709.46Oct 20160
    Not Mine/His: June 20168175.38Oct 20160
    Grand Total0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 4th Mar 17, 7:28 PM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    at all your exclamation marks

Yep, it was a pretty amazing food haul although Mr Cheery ate most of it in the end But there's a bowl of green salad left that we'll have with tonight's tea

Nowt much to report. Snuck to the women's institute for breakfast with Mr Cheery today, spent 3.60 I think for both of us, not too bad

Somehow (and I really, genuinely do not know how this happened) FORGOT to eat lunch yesterday I don't think that's EVER happened in the whole history of my entire life I was just busy, and had two consecutive meetings over lunchtime, so had a big snack before, and then I was peckish after, but I had a couple of cakes hanging round so ate those, and didn't notice til I was packing up to come home

Sadly tried to eat my soup today for lunch but it had gone all vinegary Most distressing, I do hate wasting food

Got some calzones in the oven, along with the last of the wedges and I made a load of chocolate brownies today too - no real need as I've eaten far too much cake already but hey ho some of them might make into the freezer for work lunches

Will need to go shopping at some point over the weekend as literally all we have in the fridge is half a tub of mushrooms, half a cabbage, and some milk

Got some painting done today, but want to get up early and do a whole load more tomorrow!
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 4th Mar 17, 11:53 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 11,397 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hee hee - you know I'm prone to forgetting to eat! - either too busy or head is deep in something more interesting than chewing! Thank goodness our little work cafe does fresh smoothies - makes it easy to get some nutrition on the run!
    Grand Total0
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Mar 17, 3:32 PM
    • 7,131 Posts
    • 37,938 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I'm with cheery - forgetting to eat doesn't usually feature high on my list of "likely to happen" things! Having said that might have been a good thing that soup didn't get eaten if it had gone *that* off so soon afterwards!

I never did remember to make flapjacks yesterday...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 1229.00/324.14
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Mar 17, 4:36 PM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well I made 24 chocolate brownies hoping that at least *some* would make it to the freezer for work but, er, it appears not...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Mar 17, 7:25 PM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening

Right, I have an evening to myself and a teensy bit of energy so it's time for a multi-coloured list

7.30-8.30: DIY
    * finish painting spare room ceiling
    * clear everything ready for floor painting
    * measure landing for underlay

8.30-9: Exercise
    * kettlebells

9-10: Internet
    * order underlay
    * order new hydraulic arms for rear car door (keeping said door open with head while loading/unloading furniture etc is NOT working for me)
    * banks/ynab
    * reply to/send a couple of emails
    * blog post

10: curl up

Ready, steady... GO (as soon as I've finished my tea )
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 8th Mar 17, 9:22 AM
    • 27,206 Posts
    • 146,220 Thanks
    Karmacat
    You had five whole minutes to finish your tea before the first of your tasks was due to start ... how did it go? here's hoping.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of 25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 8th Mar 17, 10:26 AM
    • 7,131 Posts
    • 37,938 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I can feel a "Mexican Carpet Fitter" joke coming on...

And yes to hydraulic thingies for car boots - having had one fail completely on me some years ago and the boot lid came crashing down on my head, I can confirm that when they need doing, they need doing!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Mar 17, 4:49 PM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well it actually took me the entire evenig to do the ceiling, and I didn't get a single other thing done But I did fill all the holes round thr edges so ceiling does vaguely look like it's attached to the wall now

Still need to do all the other things on the list but they can wait til the weekend. Usually do stuff on Thursday evenings but just arranged to go out for tea instead
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 10th Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 11,397 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Aww Cheery - something got done - and am sure you are feeling all the better for it!

It's the list itself that is the important achievement after all not the content!

I thoroughly embarrassed OH today by making an entry into Y N A B as he was paying the bill - he seems to think it's worse than my habit of asking for the leftovers to be packed up to take away I did wait until we got to the car to remind him that the occasional posh meal was only affordable because of my uberfrugal day to day habits!
    Grand Total0
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 14th Mar 17, 5:16 PM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    No shame in putting stuff into ynab RT!

Well the floor got painted and the radiators have been primed ready for painting too, and the spare room windowsill glossed Window needs another gloss coat, and radiator needs top coat, but I reckon we can get on with putting furniture in there now!

Not today though, as I appear to have tonsilitis ludicrous really as I had my tonsils removed when I was 7 but was informed a few years back (when being diagnosed with tonsilitis...) that the damn things had grown back!! didn't know they could, seems a bit weird if you ask me...

Anyway, yesterday I had a cough, and assumed it was because I''d been shaking out dust sheets etc earlier. But then in the evening, quite suddenly, I stopped coughing and came over all hot and shivery. Went to bed about 9, had a bit of a disturbed sleep but dragged myself to work (the hassle of rescheduling stuff didn-t serm worth staying off )

Anyway felt worse and worse and when lovely boss spotted me at lunchtime she said I looked rotten (thanks!! ) and sent me home cancelled tomorrow's activities too and have spent the whole afternoon in bed, most unlike me

Of course it may mot be tonsilitis but having had it a few times it feels familiar, and I'm mot snotty or sneezing, just shivery and vile with ragingly sore throat. NHS website says give it 3 or 4 days and it should pass... but if it doesn't it's a nice excuse to get out of my ridiculous 62 mile bike ride at the weekend

Sorry, that's not remotely moneysaving, although I suppose I'm not spending anything while I'm in bed!!
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Mar 17, 6:42 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 11,397 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Aww that's rotten hunny - feel better soon!!!!!
    Xoxoxoxo
    Grand Total0
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Mar 17, 9:56 AM
    • 7,131 Posts
    • 37,938 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Urgh to that, but well done to lovely boss for sending you home! I'm afraid I'm also going to be the voice of reason here and say that if you have tonsilitis or even something close to it you should definitely NOT be doing ludicrous bike rides - unless you want to end up back in bed for most of NEXT week too!

Remember if you develop white spots on th back of your throat you need to get hold of your GP as you'll probably need anti-b's to clear it up, too.

Hope you're feeling lots better soon!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th Mar 17, 8:42 AM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks lovely ladies

I am feeling rather more human now Had Wednesday off and felt ok (other than a sore throat) and was pottering about painting etc, so went back to work Thursday and Friday. However, I hadn't realised just how much I TALK in the course of a normal working day Nature of the job i suppose but I reckon they were both particularly talkative days, and even when I wasn't in meetings etc people kept talking to me in corridors (!!!!!!!s)

Still, Mr Cheery was out last night so I didn't speak to anyone from about 4pm onwards

Got a bit of a tickly cough now though which is irritating my throat no end. Fed up with stupid body now!

On the plus side, I haven't been stuffing my face with cakes as my appetite's gone right down

So I'm definitely not doing the bike ride. Good job I didn't spend much time training for the damn thing! Just trying to decide whether to pop over and cheer them on - if my sister was on her own I definitely would but there are three of them... Mind you, the alternative is staying here and squabbling over the DIY so race support might be more restful!

Anyway - payday yesterday Been a little bit spendy with my own spends this month not too bad but I've already spent this month what I spent in the whole of Feb Going to reign that in a bit.

YNAB sorted for next month and 800 added to the house fund Good job as we're going to see a house this morning on which I reckon the mortgage would be nearly that much a month if we bought it

I reckon we're 2-3 months off having enough to pay ALL moving expenses including the highest level (for the amount of house we're likely to buy) of stamp duty out of that account now Even if ours goes on the market today we're unlikely to actually move within 2 months, which means that we'll definitely be able to pay for everything without adding any of it to the mortgage And of course any we save a bit on (mortgage fees, cheaper estate agent etc) can go back to the general emergency fund til we find a plan for it (probably fixing broken things in new house I imagine )

Could have added a bit more this month, but we're likely to be going away in April for a week or two so I wanted to leave us some options. Got about 600 in the holiday fund now which will go a good way towards it (although probably won't cover altogether but I'll be paid again while we're there so that will top it up). All good

Right, best get dressed. They probably won't take us seriously if we view this house in our PJs They may not take us seriously anyway as ours isn't actually on the market yet of course but there we are
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Mar 17, 10:33 AM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well, the house was lovely but not for us sadly. It was cottagey with lots of little weirdly shaped rooms, and Mr Cheery couldn't get through the doorways upstairs without practically bending in half You could probably do something about that but it was right at the top (if not over) our budget, so... Gardens were beautiful, and some ace little outbuildings We were very torn, but right now, it's not the right place for us.

Onwards...

Unexpected day at home today after I pulled out of my 62 mile bike ride A week of having/recovering from tonsilitis does NOT make good race preparation. Also pulled out of the idea of going to watch - would have meant a 4 hour round trip, plus getting up at stupid o clock, and a LOT of standing around on my own in the drizzle

So instead I need to put my day to good use!

In no particular order...

* primer on the last bit of spare room skirting
    * 2nd coat of gloss on spare room windowframe
    * gather up everything from round house for the tip
    * tip run this afternoon
    * clean out kitchen cupboard so Mr Cheery can fix the bow in the shelf
    * finish round edges of green paint in kitchen
    * general tidying and cleaning upstairs
    * general tidying and cleaning downstairs
    * make soup for work lunches (and lunch today I suppose)
    * make something substantial and wholesome for tea tonight (maybe veggie shepherds pie? Think we've got a load of spuds and carrots)

That's probably quite enough. I'm just over halfway through a good book too so no doubt I'll get lost in that for a while at some point over a cuppa and I'd like to do a couple of rows of knitting

Best find some motivating music and get on I suppose!
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 17, 12:32 PM
    • 27,206 Posts
    • 146,220 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh Cheery! Are you sure thats, um, particularly restful? I'm glad you decided not to do all that travelling, anyway. I think the habit of curling up and binge watching a tv series might come in very handy right now!
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of 25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.Save
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Mar 17, 12:49 PM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Not particularly restful no but I'm not really ill any more, just not well enough to cycle for an entire day A bit of light pottering is easily doable. I did have a couple of days off earlier in the week but went back on Thursday.

Anyway, the sun's shining and it's actually pretty cheery to be painting windowframes when it's like this And I haven't exactly done much so far

* primer on the last bit of spare room skirting
    * 2nd coat of gloss on spare room windowframe
    * gather up everything from round house for the tip
    * tip run this afternoon
    * clean out kitchen cupboard so Mr Cheery can fix the bow in the shelf
    * finish round edges of green paint in kitchen
    * general tidying and cleaning upstairs
    * general tidying and cleaning downstairs
    * make soup for work lunches (and lunch today I suppose)
    * make something substantial and wholesome for tea tonight (maybe veggie shepherds pie? Think we've got a load of spuds and carrots)

Just going to attempt to take my cup of tea into the garden for the first time this year then back in to crack on!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 20th Mar 17, 9:02 PM
    • 7,400 Posts
    • 35,576 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well it actually started raining when I got out there so I didn't sit and read, but it was still warm and sunny and not raining too much (just too much for a library book) so I pottered about and did a bit of weeding, pulled the woody bits off the lavender etc Lovely to be out there pottering about

Got most of the stuff off that list done too

But now I need another mini list I know it's late, but i've been sat on my backside poking around the internet since I came in 2 hours ago (aside from shoving some quorn sausages and potato wedges in the oven) and I need to do a bit of preparing for tomorrow. So a mini list

* wash dishes
    * sand teensy bits of filler I plonked in spare room floor yesterday and run over them with a paintbrush (literally a ten minute job, if that)
    * find clothes for tomorrow (need to be a bit smarter than usual, although not much)
    * transfer stuff from rucksack to bike bag ready for morning
    * upload pictures to computer
    * blog post about the garden

That's probably quite enough - it's been a pretty long day already
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 21st Mar 17, 8:33 AM
    • 27,206 Posts
    • 146,220 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I understand a mini-list like that at that sort of time - for me, its about making sure I spend what time's left on the right priorities - like you say, if you've got to be a bit smarter than usual today, you *have* to think a bit more about clothes.

The only external thing I have to do today is answer the door to the Asda delivery man so I'm going to cope just fine with my usual

Hope your day goes well, Cheery, and you still feel comfy in the bit-smarter clothes
    Retired August 2016

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 21st Mar 17, 1:14 PM
    • 7,131 Posts
    • 37,938 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Excellent list demolition and pottering there Cheery! And good use of an "extra" day too - glad you decided against the bike ride - even not actually cycling it was still going to be a long day, wasn't it.

Keep forgetting about other people's blogs - I need to dedicate a bit of time to having a good old catch-up and reading round them all I think! (Mind you I keep forgetting about my own too!)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,738Posts Today

8,448Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Just looking at the final(ish) Premier League table. The gap between the top seven and the rest is huge. Has it ever been more lopsided?

• Follow Martin