Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,049Posts
    • 32,823Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £8570
Page 144
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Oct 16, 6:36 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, Greying will be impressed, I've made tea and baked, AGAIN!

Made one of my favourite teas, which I don't make very often as it's a little bit time consuming and it's not really Mr Cheery's favourite. Basically a veggie shepherds pie - used up a load of veg from the fridge (onion, leeks, cabbage, garlic, and I meant to put in courgette but forgot ), fried a bit then boiled up with red lentils, stock cube, and a squirt of tomato puree, and topped with mash, into which I sneaked a teensy bit of soft cheese Had with a bit of gravy Wholesome and filling and YUM

Then while the oven was on, I experimented with drying the last of the rubbery mushrooms - apparently they add a nice flavour to soups... we'll see, not tried them yet obviously.

And then I baked some of these

vegan banana muffins

Mmmmmm! Goodness me they're lovely I did them with the original recipe from the book (it tells you in the web link, basically just ordinary rapeseed oil instead of coconut, and white flour instead of wholemeal, and I bunged in a handful of sultanas too). Made into muffins rather than a loaf, and ran the whole thing through a calorie counter as I am experimenting with calorie counting at the minute having abandoned slimming world... 88 ish for the smaller muffins, 170 ish for the larger ones

Trying to cut down on my cereal bar purchasing Jack reckons about £1 for the batch (and mine will be cheaper with the cheapo oil, reduced bananas and cheap white flour), and I made in fairy cake tins so made 12 little ones and 6 big ones Theoretically I'd take a couple of small ones for work each day, so *theoretically* they'd last me a couple of weeks... except clearly we've already polished off 6 of the small ones so they'll probably last til Tuesday

Dead easy though, and all storecupboard except the bananas
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Oct 16, 7:01 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Hooray for storecupboard cooking!

We are having a roast tonight but made on a bed of 'bottom of the fridge' veg! - Leeks, spring onions, mushrooms, carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes just had a peak & the bed of veg looks lush!

Also made a batch of hand-pies - we had 18 this morning - only 6 left! - they will supplement OH lunches for the week. - Much, much cheaper than ready-made & healthier too!

(Giving that banana bread recipe a look as well - except we only have one extra ripe banana atm!)
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Oct 16, 7:26 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    You could always just make a third of it RT

Hand pies = pasties, right??
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 16th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    rtandon27
    um - yes - I guess you could call it a pasty

mine start of cigar shaped and puff up to a long skinny rectangle...

basically puff pastry with a dryish filling that is imminently more portable than a pot-pie as there is no gravy inside - usually savory filling...

Click here for a whole raft of recipes!

ETA - OH says more like a slice than a pasty!
    Last edited by rtandon27; 16-10-2016 at 8:07 PM.
    Grand Total£0
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Definitely a pasty Although having said that, I'm not really sure what a 'slice' is - I mostly think of the word 'slice' in conjunction with the word 'custard'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/custard_slice_58534

Yawn, tired now. Suppose I should sort out YNAB - bank was closed for maintenance yesterday so didn't finish it. Off to old job tomorrow so early train - even worse now I'm not used to it any more!

Have got baked snacks to take Although I also don't have any lunch (and no leftovers ) so it certainly won't be a NSD!
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Oct 16, 11:04 AM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Pretty sure a pasty is crimped while a slice is folded and stuck? However, they both require a tasty mix of pastry plus yummy filing so I'm not sure it's worth quibbling over the name. (And I have no idea where pies fit into the whole question, either!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 17th Oct 16, 12:21 PM
    • 3,108 Posts
    • 33,611 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ooh, Greying will be impressed, I've made tea and baked, AGAIN!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Stands.in. awe Super nice sounding tea, and MUCH better than my offering

Greying wanders off craving a vanilla custard slice..........

X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 17th Oct 16, 7:42 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    rtandon27
    oooo the things you ladies teach me!

A custard slice is a totally new thing to me & tomorrow will be on the hunt for one!

Grand Total£0
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 17th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ooh, I love a custard slice Prefer the ones that have an extra slice of pastry in the middle though I pull the bottom layer of pastry/custard off and eat that, then eat the top with the icing layer on too Mmmmmm. Not had one for yonks!

EH, I think you're right about not quibbling about the definition Any food that doesn't require plates or cutlery is a bonus in my mind Sadly Mr Cheery doesn't do too much fat so we tend to avoid pastry in this house but maybe one day I shall make some hand pies of my very own Partly because I like the name

Greying, you won't be remotely impressed at my tea tonight. Mr Cheery was busy in the kitchen so I did a detour to Sainsbugs to buy a £1 pizza for tea

But it gets worse!! Because when I got home, we actually ended up abandoning the pizza and ordering a takeaway!

Oh dear!

And I still haven't done YNAB and it's payday tomorrow! Eek!

Oh well
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 18th Oct 16, 12:38 PM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Ooh, I love a custard slice Prefer the ones that have an extra slice of pastry in the middle though I pull the bottom layer of pastry/custard off and eat that, then eat the top with the icing layer on too Mmmmmm. Not had one for yonks!
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    ^^

I've witnessed this - she does indeed. And then, if it's a Patisserie Valerie one, she can't quite manage to finish it!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 18th Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Yes, how very embarrassing. Must have been having an off day

Payday today Budget fiddled and YNAB sorted £8080 in house moving fund now

Other things...

£260 between no quibble and holiday funds - will combine these to fund weekend away next month

£183 in dentist fund (good job, I'm going back for xrays next month so goodness knows what that will bring up

£153 for that upcoming festive event

Various other savings pots for dull things like house insurance all filled

And £54 in new car fund Only had ours 2 years (although it's actually 13 years old) so not planning a new one any time soon - I just sling a token spare £5 at it here and there. Priority is house moving fund so all spare gets flung into that. Fingers crossed ours doesn't conk out (although if it does we'll raid the ISA - thank goodness for savings hey?)

All good

Baking-instead-of-cereal-bars plan didn't work - predictably Mr Cheery finished them off (yes, all of the biscuits and all of the muffins) while I was at work yesterday so I've still had to do a stock up in the shop this morning

Oh well, will try again next weekend
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 19th Oct 16, 9:19 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Perhaps you could freeze your biscuits and muffins and take out as needed for your workday. And don't tell Mr. C. you baked.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 19th Oct 16, 9:54 AM
    • 6,373 Posts
    • 35,175 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Perhaps you could freeze your biscuits and muffins and take out as needed for your workday. And don't tell Mr. C. you baked.
    Originally posted by milasavesmoney
    Our breakfast muffins get frozen Cheery - MrEH just takes out one each evening ready for the next morning.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Oct 16, 4:57 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    They WERE frozen! Mr Cheery knows where the freezer is too...

Long day today, will be home about 5.45 then out again after an hour Roll on November I say!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Oct 16, 5:16 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums

Nice weekend so far - had some work to do over near my sister's house yesterday afternoon so combined that with a family trip and stayed at my mum's and had breakfast with them all this morning Nice and cheap as work paid for travel Good to combine trips if you can - doesn't happen very often!

Back home now though and still tired Not much planned for the weekend now. Just used up a load of veg - I was going to make a kind of bubble and squeak/rosti thing with onion, cabbage, courgette and egg (didn't have any spuds) but didn't have enough room on the baking tray so just spread it all out into one big bake thing Just tried to turn it over but of course all the egg had sunk to the bottom and now it all looks quite, er, well, not necessarily like what you'd serve up if someone was coming round for dinner

While the oven's on I've also slung in another batch of banana muffins (with the last of the 7p mixed peel that we've been using up for months) - let's see how long these last...

Not much else to report. Won't have been a dead thrifty weekend as I had train station lunch both days (although today was a basic £1 cheese butty) and went out for breakfast this morning, but at least there were no travel costs

Right, best keep an eye on this cabbage thing. Haven't actually planned anything to go with it, but I figured between that and the muffins I'm not going to starve today
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Oct 16, 6:54 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Hmm. Rang bank about 'everyday rewards' scheme where you get £4 a month or paying in wages, having DDs, basically just using account normally, but I signed up in July and the last 3 months I've had emails saying I didn't qualify (when clearly I met the criteria which are very basic).

Kept meaning to ring and not getting round to it

Finally rang today, and as I'd figured out, they've applied it to an account I barely use, instead of the one the wages go into Apparently it's going to start from now - but I'm cursing myself for not demanding a back payment from when I set it up - clearly they applied it to the wrong account, why would I have asked for it for the one I didn't use?!

Might ring them back and some point and see if they can backdate (or might just let it go, hate conversations like that and kind of feel like they should have offered but hey ho )

Anyway, been squabbling about DIY again But now Mr Cheery's gone out so I'm going to get the radio on and finish grouting the windowsill, and then scrape some more paint off the banister.

Muffins turned out nicely Just have to not eat ALL of them before the morning in my grumpiness
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Oct 16, 6:55 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh, I meant to do a list!

7.00-7.30: grouting
    7.30-8.00: tidying and hoovering bedroom
    8.00-9.00: scraping paint off banister
    9.00: hot water bottle and Kojak
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 22nd Oct 16, 9:19 PM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Er... well I did the grouting and then spent another 2 hours tidying and hoovering the bedroom Rebuilt the dresser, and sorted out all the toiletries and bathroom cupboards (one day they'll be reattached in the bathroom but not today!), put them up on the dresser so we're not crawling round the floor looking for stuff... put all the paint tins in one place, got rid of the grotty dust sheets (which were just making things WORSE rather than better, being covered in plaster, paint, varnish etc )

Just having a cuppa ten KOJAK
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 22nd Oct 16, 10:35 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Sorry to hear about the squabbles
    My OH has been grumpy today too!
    Not a full moon so must be something in the air...
    Grand Total£0
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 23rd Oct 16, 12:34 AM
    • 7,049 Posts
    • 32,823 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    May well be RT, although in this case it was actually me who started it

Still, all made up now fortunately we do quick flashes of grumpiness then quickly turn to contrite apologies and neither of us ever sulks or holds a grudge

Got to be time for bed no, yes?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,671Posts Today

5,760Users online

Martin's Twitter