Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,036Posts
    • 32,755Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £8420
Page 143
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Oct 16, 9:11 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Pah to pesky builders with opinions Quite right to stick with your own plans ladies If I had a pantry I certainly would NOT be giving it up, even if I had no heating at all!

Yes, it's the Girl Called Jack book - many of the recipes are on the website I think (not checked that particular one though). I made the peach and chick pea curry tonight I confess it was probably a bit silly given the amount of veg I have lying around to make something that urely used tins I could have lost a bit of veg in there but was tired and going for simplicity

It certainly was simple, and cheery too and cost about £1 I think, and probably would have served 3 I reckon if had with rice (I couldn't be bothered with rice so just had with a flatbread). The shop didn't have peaches in juice though so I had to go for light syrup and it was pretty sweet - fine for my sweet tastes but I'm pretty sure Mr Cheery would have found it a bit much.

Fortunately (well, not really, but fortunately for these purposes) he's still full of cold and wanted nowt but mushroom soup.

Shamefully, I've still not finished off the baba ganoush, and there's a bit of last night's mushroom stroganoff left over, and now half a pan full of this curry. Tomorrow's tea is going to be a VERY odd concoction of leftovers! Keep hoping Mr Cheery will finish one of them off while I'm at work, but no, mushroom soup or nothing this week. Oh dear!

Not much time tomorrow night so will just do leftovers. BUt Thursday night I've got time spare, so might mess about and do burgers and have them with a big load of this veg

Not much else to report. Annoyingly found a voucher for a free meal at work in my purse but it had expired Would have only bought a sandwich that I wouldn't have bought anyway (if you see what I mean) so in reality I've only lost the cost of one home made lunch, which isn't much, but still, slightly vexing!

Tiredy tired tonight. Been to Kettlebells class, bringing total for each gym visit down to £4.84
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 16, 9:43 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 35,035 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    That does sound like an "interesting" sort of dinner tomorrow night cheery!

Not convinced about the peach & chickpea curry I'm afraid - mango and similar in a curry I love, but there's something about the thought of peaches in one that doesn't quite tick my boxes. However the Girl Called Jack book is sitting right next to me on the sofa as I type so I'll try and go through it in the next few days and flag up a few possibilities.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 11th Oct 16, 10:37 PM
    • 3,088 Posts
    • 33,459 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    The shop didn't have peaches in juice though so I had to go for light syrup and it was pretty sweet - fine for my sweet tastes but I'm pretty sure Mr Cheery would have found it a bit much.
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Love, the easy way to get around that is to drain and rinse peaches that are in syrup. I always use the 'valoo' peaches, and they only come in syrup. If i remember correctly - haven't got my recipe index with me at the pooter, so may be wrong - there are tomatoes in the curry too???? I never put the peach juice in the curry (even if I had bought peaches in 'juice' rather than syrup) as I too would find it waaayyyy to sweet, and because of the tomatoes, there is sufficient liquid. If I am wrong, and there are no tomatoes in that particular curry, then a little water would suffice if it got a bit on the dry side. I'm not usually one for mixing 'fruit' with savoury, but this curry I like.

Bravo for you trying out recipes Cheery - you'll have to invite your 'apple crumble donating neighbour' (and her child) around for tea, to deal with 'leftovers'

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 11th Oct 16, 11:56 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ah yes, I did wonder about draining them but figured i'd go with what was suggested on this occasion and actually for me it was fine Yes there are tomatoes, and I'd usually use passatta so plenty of liquid. Didn't tate of peaches particularly but then i'm quite a fan of sweet fruity curries so maybe I just didn't notice it too much. You do chop them quite small so they kind of almost mush down and become part of the sauce so texture-wise there's not much too them.

Greying I had quite forgotten about that crumble! you're right i really must reciprocate - a nice excuse for trying out that chocolate tea bread perhaps not having that lot round for dinner though - adore the lot of them but there's barely 2 seats in our kitchen at the minute let alone 6! will stick to minding their dog occasionally and maybe taking them an experimental cake

Right, I am in bed and really shouldn't be on my phone talking to you lot!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums

Tiredy tired again here Won't be long out of bed Nothing much money-wise to report, still not got round to expenses claim but I WILL do it next week Will have more to add to it by then too Goodness.

Finally got round to scoffing all the leftovers tonight All together too An unholy mix of egg noodles (not leftovers, made fresh), peach and chickpea curry, baba ganoush, and mushroom stroganoff It was perfectly acceptable actually Should have done slightly fewer noodles as I'm now still left with a small bit of the mixture in the bottom of a pan that I'll have to eat tomorrow!

Fingers crossed Mr Cheery feels properly better soon - tis no mean feat eating all this stuff on my own
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Oct 16, 9:20 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 35,035 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Sort of like Tapas then Cheery - only not quite as Spanish!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 13th Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Kind of, except I mixed it all together in a bowl and sprinkled fake parmesan on the top, so probably not really that much like tapas

But 'kind of like tapas' makes it sound posh so yeah, let's go with that
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 14th Oct 16, 12:37 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    Sounds like a Buddha Bowl à la Greying!
    Mine/Hers: May 2011£10835.33May 2016£4709.46Oct 2016£0
    Not Mine/His: June 2016£8175.38Oct 2016£0
    Grand Total£0
    PSST - WE ARE DEBT FREE!!!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 14th Oct 16, 9:18 PM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    I have combined leftovers to make some truly awful interesting combinations.

I'm having fits trying to get the plumber to call me back with an estimate. I have left two messages and he had better call or I'm showing up at his house next! . I need a gas line run for my long wished for gas range. It's on sale until the 18th for 40% off and I need to know something!
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Oct 16, 8:44 AM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh dear Mila, dealing with other people sometimes is most vexing! We're getting a friend to do some work on the outside of our house and already it's been what feels like a million texts back and forth, unanswered questions, missed phone calls. This is one of the reasons we've done most of the work ourselves!

I'm working up to going out for a run... but I walked 8 miles in (smallish) heels yesterday (!) so one of my heels is a little sore... Nowt serious and I *will* go, I promise In fact, I'm going to drive out to the woods for a slight change of scenery rather than just running down the main road

Just done YNAB, although the bank has planned maintenance til tomorrow lunchtime so I can't do the bank bits, but cash is all sorted and receipts are all entered

Mother will be just leaving her house now so I'd best get on with my run else I won't be back before she gets here! (fortunately it will take her nearly 2 hours so I'll probably be ok - might not have time for the hoovering though )
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 15th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,118 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I was identifying with the calling workmen thing (not helped by accidentally having my phone on silent!!!) and then I read that you walked 8 miles in heels? Eeek! Cheery, the Force is strong with you
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Oct 16, 12:33 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ha, it's not very strong today - I ran 3 miles then went back to bed for a nap! Didn't intend to walk 8 miles, or I would have worn more sensible shoes! I just walked to work, to the train station, then from the station at the other end, and then ended up walking back *to* the station again at the end of the day... I was carrying a big rucksack too. It all adds up!

Well, parental visit is off - not only did my mum forget to set her alarm and set off an hour late, she then broke down on the motorway and is currently being either fixed by the RAC man or towed back to her own house... Either way they're not coming here. Fortunately both her and my auntie sounded relatively cheerful on the phone - they'd been talking in the car about how they needed more adventures and have decided that this is one of them

So I've had nap, and now have more tea, and Mr Cheery is going out in a bit so I'm going to spend a couple of hours tidying etc. A small list...

* grout bathroom windowsill
    * grout whitener stuff in the shower
    * refit bathroom carpet (again)
    * fill hole that appears to have been knocked out of my pristine plaster on the stairs
    * tidy and hoover kitchen
    * tidy and hoover bathroom
    * tidy and hoover bedroom

We'll see how I am after that...

Must also remember to get my bike ready - I've signed up for an organised bike ride in the morning!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Oct 16, 4:05 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Just made these

oat raisin biscuits

• rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Oct 16, 5:53 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    mmm - look yummy! - did the recipe actually make 25?

How easy were they to scoff?

I bought 1 giant cranberry white chocolate cookie from our local posh deli this morning & just scoffed the entire thing in one go!
    Grand Total£0
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 15th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Well I only made half the mix, and I actually divided it into 18, so the full lot would have made about 36 generous hobnob sized buiscuits (they're at least twice the height of a hobnob too). So if you only made 25 they'd be huge!

Odd day finished the grouting on the windowsill, and repainting the shower grout put the carpet back and gave everything and goodclean and hoover also put a load of stuff away in the kitchen, hoovered and cleaned all under the table and behind stuff mr cheery had moved it was proper grim

Then we had a quick charity shop mooch, bought a reduced butty and some crisps and went out for an impromptu picnic at a reservoir so going to do that more often

Then we drove out to anoher reservoir and mooched about in the woods for a bit, then came home with a few cans of G&T

Moon was ace tonight, red and misty and low, hanging over the city
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 15th Oct 16, 8:29 PM
    • 6,315 Posts
    • 35,035 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Dunno about odd day - sounds like a nice day to me! You've certainly achieved more than I've managed!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • rtandon27
    • By rtandon27 15th Oct 16, 8:49 PM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 10,181 Thanks
    rtandon27
    ...so the full lot would have made about 36 generous hobnob sized buiscuits (they're at least twice the height of a hobnob too). So if you only made 25 they'd be huge! ...
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff

Had to g00gle hobnob - had no clue what it was...

(OH says I've had one with chocolate & liked it - but memory fails)
    Grand Total£0
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Oct 16, 8:56 AM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    RT I'm actually not that bothered about a hobnob myself, although will happily eat a milk chocolate one if it's shoved under my nose

When I said it was an odd day, I think I then skipped the part where I was grumpy, started arguments, had a nap at lunchtime and was still tired enough to fall asleep on the sofa at 9pm And I hadn't planned anything because I was meant to be having visitors, but then they never arrived so I was kind of waiting for something that never happened Normally not phased by any such thing and I'm quite happy pottering around, but yesterday I think I was just in a bit of an odd mood!

Still, that seems to have passed I've scoffed porridge, bananas (reduced to 20p for a bag ) and sultanas ready for my bike ride Forecast is dire so I'm kitted out in waterproof trousers and wishing I'd got round to replacing my cycling jacket when it started disintegrating... I've got a cheap running one which is shower proof... but proper cycling ones have longer arms and a longer back, for leaning forwards, you see

But hey ho. It's not like I'm cycling for days We're doing 12 miles with at least one cake stop (and there's usually a couple of cafes in there too so I'm hopeful!) Have also packed a couple of yesterday's biscuits in case of snack emergencies

Then I must wash the excess grout paint off the shower!

Have a good Sunday all
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 16th Oct 16, 11:14 AM
    • 26,541 Posts
    • 140,118 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Oh your bike ride! Hope its going well, and the cafes are all good

The recipe looks good, Cheery - can I ask, as you halved the mixture, what did you do about it having just one egg, did you use a small rather than a large? I need simple recipes to use up lots of flour, and I really like the sound of that one having veg oil.
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 16th Oct 16, 2:24 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 32,755 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    I actually just bunged the whole egg in KC I figured an extra half an egg wouldn't make much difference over 18 biscuits! I did leave them in the oven a bit long actually as I got distracted by the hoovering (always knew it was dangerous!!)

Anyway, goodness me we got wet this morning i was soaked just riding to the meeting point in town, which is less than 15 mins had to wait in a cafe for the others, then we had a rotten dull ride out to the park along boring back streets - I think I'll meet them in the park next time.

Then more sogginess, off road through the woods and the mud, pushed up an enormously long bridleway climb that was really muddy, tea at a cafe then back down through the park, which was nice

Just ran a much needed bath!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,108Posts Today

6,202Users online

Martin's Twitter