Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    • 7,041Posts
    • 32,786Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on
    • 26th Jan 14, 3:19 PM
    Cheery's buttling diary: tea in one hand, plant pot in the other, running shoes on 26th Jan 14 at 3:19 PM
    <sneaks in hoping nobody will notice>

Hi all

Goodness me, it's been ever such a long time since I've been here! It seems I disappeared without a trace almost two whole years ago, and then life got in the way, and you know what it's like when you've been gone for so long, it's quite hard to come back...

In fact, it's been so long since I went that maybe nobody even remembers I was here in the first place If you feel the need to delve into my history the latest (not-very-up-to-date) version is here, and the one before that is here.

Anyway, I'm back again now and if I disappear again I promise I shall leave a note explaining myself

I've decided to come back for two reasons:

(1) I'm not in debt, but I'm also not-quite-as-much-in-control-as-I'd-like I've FINALLY combined finances with Mr Daffs (after 8 years) and there's lots of messing around related to that to be done

(2) I've just spent a cheery couple of hours reading back through my old diaries (how very sad ) and remembering JUST HOW CHEERFUL it was in the old days of hanging round here

I confess I'm a tiny bit daunted about coming back - one of the reasons I vanished was because I was spending FAR too much time on the internet and I'm wary of doing that again... But for now I've decided there's plenty of other things to worry about without bothering my little head about that one

Ooh, I should probably explain the 'buttling' in my title It's a word I invented (although I suspect other people have invented it before me). It's kind of what butlers do, you see - they buttle - make tea and open doors and tidy up, and generally buttle around getting on with little things

And while I don't intend to put on a suit and act like Jeeves any time soon (although actually come to think of it, he was a valet, not a butler), i LOVE using the word and spend much of every day buttling around doing all kinds of cheerful activities

Suppose I'd best do something like talking about money now...
    Saved for house move: £8420
Page 142
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 4th Oct 16, 8:21 AM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 33,557 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim
    Ooooooo - I didn't know I was speaking Gaelic

Greying goes off with a spring in her step

X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 6th Oct 16, 8:42 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ha Greying, you do make me laugh!

I'm tiredy tired this evening today I've been all over the places, walked 10,000 and done a million different tasks at work, and switching my poor brain in between them all and keeping track has been quite a trial I do love my job but it does tax the grey matter on occasion trying to keep up with myself

Anyway, I'm home alone with a hot water bottle now and no particular tasks to do and I'm not working tomorrow, which is (a) hard because I have lots to do at work but (b) good because I have lots to do at home

So, tonight:

YNAB

That's it Not making any more plans Tomorrow:

- washing!!
    - paint rest of cladding in bedroom (involves giant scary ladder but Mr Cheery has been on it plenty of times and I need to get over myself!)
    - cut bit of wood for bathroom windowsill and paint with primer
    - meet friend for a cuppa

That might be it Saturday I'm meeting some old work pals in another city for a day at a visitor attraction that I haven't been to before and Sunday I'll be doing the final coat of painting!

Right now though, YNAB and then a snooze
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 6th Oct 16, 9:34 PM
    • 6,342 Posts
    • 35,088 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    I'm not working tomorrow either - it'll be like old times!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Oct 16, 9:09 AM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Ha, indeed! I do miss having Fridays off. Might be able to wangle a few more in before Christmas which might keep me nicely sane!

So far I've laid in bed for two hours reading but I'm really rather hungry so I must get up, and I also want to do some washing, and paint this cladding (area-wise it's not that much, but it's really high up... but I think once I get up there it won't be too bad!

Drizzling today which means that my afternoon in town with a friend will mostly be spent in cafes... what a shame!

Right, I've got four hours til I need to leave... best get a move on!

First stop, breakfast
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 7th Oct 16, 1:05 PM
    • 6,342 Posts
    • 35,088 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Aww SUCH a shame having to spend an afternoon in cafes - how will you cope?!

How did the very high painting go? So far today I've achieved shopping, some tidying, some list writing, and am now contemplating cleaning the filters on the dishwasher. Well, I've dumped them on the washing up bowl with some VERY hot water, soda crystals and washing up liquid, anyway...
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 7th Oct 16, 7:50 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Sounds like cleaning to me...

Painting went well! there was a small bit I just really couldn't reach so had to save that for Mr Cheery (I knew he could reach as he'd done the undercoat )

Two cafes this afternoon and managed a sneaky trip to the library Got Jack monroe's first cook book out - i'm not one for recipes but feeling a bit lacking in inspiration at the minute...
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 8th Oct 16, 10:08 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Evening chums

Lovely day today Been on a trip to a giant aquarium with some old colleagues and a small child, who was fascinated Most fun Not cheap though £11 to get in, £2 to park, and I *think* I might have distracted the cashier in the cafe by asking about plates and got the wrong change, but I emptied it into my purse before I checked so nowt I could do. Ah well, it was only £2 I think, so I'm treating it as a donation. But it means I spent another around £10 on food (will check when I do YNAB etc later). Expensive day!

Still, don't do that type of thing too often, and I got a lift so no diesel cost Had a lovely nap when I got home and have spent the evening cooking stuff from Jack Monroe's first book and making a giant mess in the kitchen Made falafels which were nice enough although we could have done with twice as many, and now I'm making baba ganoush (auberginey) and crackerbreads for an easy lunch tomorrow. Although I confess I'm not convinced the crackerbreads are working properly, they don't *look* cooked but if I leave them much longer they seem like they'll go rock solid

Oh well, I never was a great cook

Speaking of which, I'd best get the last lot out of the oven!

Before I do - a small list for tomorrow...

* tile bathroom windowsill (tiles and wood bit are cut, just all need sticking down and grouting)
    * second coat on big bedroom cladded wall (a pain and lots of ladders but shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours)

Not sure what else needs doing. Well, we've got that giant 5 page list of course Might just have to pick some things off there
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 8th Oct 16, 10:33 PM
    • 6,342 Posts
    • 35,088 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Sounds like it was well worth its cost!

I made Merguez Chickpeas from the River Cottage veg book earlier - that might be your sort of recipe!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Oct 16, 5:08 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks EH

Nice pottering day today Breakfast at the farm and instead of the usual veggie sausage butty we both opted for a bowl of porridge, and shared a flapjack while we waited. Good grief. Flapjack was tasty but dense, and porridge bowl (£1.20 each) was ENORMOUS

I eat porridge every morning, but make mine with water (proper MSE ) so all milk felt really gloopy and odd, and it was about three times as much as I'd normally eat

I valiantly forced it down though and aside from a tunnock's teacake at a friend's house, haven't eaten anything since!

Just snacking on the crackbreads (which aren't very crispy) and baba ganoush stuff I made last night though. I'm not a fan of tinned toms so not really sure what i was thinkig with that recipe but it's actually passable Not sure I'd go to the bother again though

Been having a look through the recipe book to see what else I can make before it goes back to the library (a lot of it's free on the website now but it's nice to have a book to flick through). Might do mushroom stroganoff one night, and there are a couple of curries, and a pasta and mushroom thing, and a couple of different types of burgers and soups. We'll see!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Oct 16, 5:21 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh, and DIY I have been up the ladder and painted the giant wall and Mr cheery will do the unreachable bit when the light returns tomorrow.

Got 40 mins before I go out - is that enough time to tile the bathroom window?! Guess we'll soon find out!!
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 9th Oct 16, 6:16 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Windowsill tiled very pleased also forgot that I washed the outside of the downstairs windows too!

And picked up a couple of bargains too - 4 melamine plates for £2.80 (I love melmine ) and a fitted red monsoon coat for £5.99 Looks like it needs ironing though might try just hanging it in the bathroom while I have a shower won't need ironing always, looks like it's just been stuffed in a bag for a while...

Wish I'd brought it with me - I'm sat in the street waiting for someone to arrive wth a key....
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 10th Oct 16, 3:18 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    Mushroom stroganoff sounds wonderful and I have mushrooms. I'm going to do an amble around the net to look for a recipe. (If Jack's isn't available)

We have started some remodeling...tile floors to be replaced in three rooms. Two rooms have tile torn out which led to me thinking the walls needed to be painted before new tile was layed. Paint was 30% off and belly up to the bar boys cuz why not paint to laundry room cabinets too. (As long as the paint's on sale why not?) Oh and that area needs a new countertop to go with the sink I bought on sale last year for the kitchen. Sink is being put in laundry room instead because I changed my mind about the type of kitchen sink I want. Well, as long as we're at it why not have that pantry built that I've been dreaming of for years? And two walls need to be textured in the short hall, and, and....

OH is on board with it all.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Oct 16, 7:39 AM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Sounds like you've started a bit of an epic project there Mila! Do keep us updated Bargain paint you've got there!

Work event today,so free lunch and it doesn't start til 9.30 so I'm going to get up in a min and go for a run first.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Oct 16, 8:57 AM
    • 26,543 Posts
    • 140,126 Thanks
    Karmacat
    That sounds like a great Sunday and today, Cheery

Am very, very, ultra impressed about the tiling you managed to fit in, good for you though I get the impression you locked yourself out? I worked hard on *not* doing that yesterday, the last time I went to that event thats exactly what I did, and it was *really* expensive.

Mila, that definitely counts as remodelling sounds great. I love ceramic tiles on the floor, like in the south of France for us, and your climate is absolutely one where you'll benefit from that. Hope it doesn't create too much dust.

Enjoy your work event, Cheery, and the free lunch
    Retired August 2016

Goal: earnings of £25k from new opportunities from September 2016 to December 2020 when my state pension kicks in.
    Currently: 86.53/25,000
    Save
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Oct 16, 6:46 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Thanks KC, although don't be too impressed with my tiling - it's literally 5 square tiles in a row (and one slightly unsquare one that I'd cut previously). Still, I'm pleased I got round to it too Going to leave it another couple of days before grouting to let the adhesive dry properly.

Event today was cheerful, and lunch was really tasty actually - a good selection of salads, including a feta and olive thing and a nice pasta thing, and then a 'vegetable bake' which didn't sound promising but was actually *really* tasty with a kind of blue cheese and breadcrumb topping, and some rosemary boiled potatoes And an extremely tasty pear and apple crumble and custard for pudding (and I *may* have sneaked in a bite of toffee cheesecake too...)

Just deciding what to have for tea. As I said on Greying's thread, it's got to be veg based as there's a big pile that won't fit in the fridge so I need to make a start. Poor Mr Cheery is full of cold, so doesn't really want to eat anything so making a dent in the veg mountain is down to me...

So. Might go for something straightforward - steam some brocolli, and then do a kind of stir fry with courgettes, leeks, other bits of greenery etc. Ooh, or I could try the mushroom stroganoff! And just have it with a kind of green veg side thingy. Mmmm. Yes, that's what I'll do
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Oct 16, 8:28 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Reporting back on the stroganoff - it was good! Really simple too - just onions and mushrooms (I added a red pepper too), bit of paprika and English mustard for flavour, fried up then simmered in stock, with some yogurt (soured with a bit of lemon juice) stirred through at the end. I didn't follow the quantities in the recipe (of course ) and I think used too much stock and not enough mushrooms, as my sauce was rather runny... but that wouldn't have mattered if I'd had it with rice as it would have soaked it up beautifully Had mine with steamed brocolli which didn't have the same soaking quantities

I'm liking this business of getting a recipe book out of the library and trying a few things in a short space of time Never done it before and it's fun Most of my recipe books are packed away, and I've never really been much good at following a recipe, more using them for inspiration

I like this book cos the recipes are straightforward and don't have loads of ingredients Can't be doing with a faffy recipe, and while some of these ones have made a bit of a mess, none of them have required a trip to the shop for a special ingredient

Couple of other things I might try from it... (just sticking this here to remind myself!)

- macaroni peas
    - onion, cabbage and cheese pasta
    - smokey red lentil burgers
    - peach and chickpea curry
    - avgolemono (which seems to be some kind of rice soup with egg in)

And I quite fancy the white chocolate tea bread but that would require the purchase of white chocolate, which is a dangerous thing... We'll see
    • Greying Pilgrim
    • By Greying Pilgrim 10th Oct 16, 9:15 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 33,557 Thanks
    Greying Pilgrim

Couple of other things I might try from it... (just sticking this here to remind myself!)

- macaroni peas
    - onion, cabbage and cheese pasta
    - smokey red lentil burgers
    - peach and chickpea curry

- avgolemono (which seems to be some kind of rice soup with egg in)
    Originally posted by Cheery Daff
    Can heartily recommend those two recipes. The peach and chickpea curry is a synch. Don't what ever you do, attempt her 'not' a tagine though. It's vile and insipid. Neither am I a fan of her 'add a tea bag' recipes, but each to their own.......

I don't follow recipes either; substitute ingredients like mad and eat the consequences! Bravo to stroganoff and broccoli. Really healthy and gotta be low-carb, surely?

Greying X
    'Ich habe genug'

'I am not in the pursuit of happiness, only in the discovery of joy' - Joyce Grenfell
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 10th Oct 16, 10:14 PM
    • 7,041 Posts
    • 32,786 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Indeed Greying (not that I go in for that low carb malarkey - I LOVE carbs ). Normally I'd make something with both a carb (eg rice/pasta/bread) element and a bigger protein element (eg lentils, chick peas) but this was wholesome and nicely light after a filling lunch

Thanks for the warnings, I shall bear them in mind!
    • milasavesmoney
    • By milasavesmoney 11th Oct 16, 12:00 AM
    • 1,599 Posts
    • 12,718 Thanks
    milasavesmoney
    I need to have the hot water heater moved so that I can get my pantry built. The plumbers came today, did a lot of head shaking and general humpting and told me they would work up a price but it was going to be expensive. Lots of gas pipes need to be rearranged to get this done. My contractor is in a snit because he thinks it will cost too much and why bother and wouldn't this or that work better. Bottom line is I pay the bills and if I can financially swing it, I'm having it done. Contractor can get happy or get gone.
    Nov $69/$500 ~~ 3/6 EF #46 $11,273/$15,000 ~~ Xmas/Bday 2016 $3002/$6500 ~~ WL 2016 ~15 lb
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 16, 11:06 AM
    • 6,342 Posts
    • 35,088 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Mila our builder is baffled as to why we're choosing to keep our storage heaters rather than have central heating put in as "You've got that big cupboard in the kitchen that you could put the boiler in" - err, no, that "big cupboard" is my larder, and it's staying!

Smokey red lentil burgers sound ace - is this from the "Girl called Jack" book? I need to have another look. It was that book that inspired the rather nice sardine/tomato/pasta dish I blogged about a while ago, though.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,408Posts Today

7,012Users online

Martin's Twitter